Author Topic: Blizzard to develop for DS?  (Read 16428 times)

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
RE:Blizzard to develop for DS?
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 08:05:33 AM »
Couldn't they use the GBA slot for 'some' FMV?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Blizzard to develop for DS?
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005, 09:59:45 AM »
Well, considering some company has managed to fit an entire feature length movie on a GBA pak, I think they could fit some manner of FMV on one.

Would it cost extra though?
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2005, 10:45:11 AM »
Well, I would pay $42 for Starcraft on DS.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 11:00:43 AM »
I really don't understand the fascination with the GBA cartridge for storage. It's more expensive than the DS's, so wouldn't they be better off using a larger-capacity DS cartridge? The GBA slot is really only useful for its size--hence the impending rumble peripheral.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 11:50:39 AM »
Well, I want a perfect Starcraft with Broodwar port, with all the sound effects and voice overs. If it means that I have to pay more to get the GBA cart. with the media, so be it.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »

I really don't understand the fascination with the GBA cartridge for storage. It's more expensive than the DS's, so wouldn't they be better off using a larger-capacity DS cartridge? The GBA slot is really only useful for its size--hence the impending rumble peripheral.

That's not entirely true. Your right about it making more sense to use a larger-capacity DS cartridge for in-game cutscenes, but your wrong about the GBA slot's usefulness. It has a much more important feature than just its size. That's of course it being a second slot.

So if they release a PDA like peripheral, you won't have to switch out your DS games to use it. You can just keep it tucked away in the GBA slot. That's why it's useful.

You also forgot something else. The GBA slot could be made into a port-replicator for SD cards. That way you can have a s**tload of memory, that wouldn't have to be prioritized on a DS cartridge. Meaning you could download demos and another things such as that (maybe even play music?) and store them away.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2005, 06:07:11 PM »

People don't buy Blizzard games for the cutscenes.

That's true, but its one of Blizzard's trademark since War Craft II. Sure they were short and maybe a little goofy when they started out (Remember the Orc ending campaign sequence?), but its something that's part of the single player experience. I'm sure they're others who have their favorite FMV moment from some Blizzard title since 1995.

Having a GBA cart dedicated to FMV's sound like a good idea in theory. But what about quality? I don't expect super high quality on a cart, but I guess you can't have everything on a handheld.

EDIT: I stupidly asked would it raise costs to have a GBA cartdridge dedicated to FMV's. TMV already asked that. Must....not...be...absent....minded...  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »
They can fit like 5 total mintues of tiny resolution FMV onto a good-sized DS cart, easily.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2005, 08:33:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Don'tHate742
That's not entirely true. Your right about it making more sense to use a larger-capacity DS cartridge for in-game cutscenes, but your wrong about the GBA slot's usefulness. It has a much more important feature than just its size. That's of course it being a second slot.

So if they release a PDA like peripheral, you won't have to switch out your DS games to use it. You can just keep it tucked away in the GBA slot. That's why it's useful.

You also forgot something else. The GBA slot could be made into a port-replicator for SD cards. That way you can have a s**tload of memory, that wouldn't have to be prioritized on a DS cartridge. Meaning you could download demos and another things such as that (maybe even play music?) and store them away.

Well that was implied with the size comment, seeing as Nintendo has already done just that with the Play-Yan: an SD reader with a hardware MP3-audio/MPEG4-video decoder. As was the fact that it's a second slot, hence the rumble comment. I was just debunking the idea that the GBA cartridge is some untapped source of massive storage space. Umm, nevermind.

My blueberry bagel tastes like onion. Only the best at Bruegger's.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 12:04:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Renny

Well that was implied with the size comment, seeing as Nintendo has already done just that with the Play-Yan: an SD reader with a hardware MP3-audio/MPEG4-video decoder. As was the fact that it's a second slot, hence the rumble comment. I was just debunking the idea that the GBA cartridge is some untapped source of massive storage space. Umm, nevermind.

Well, you're totally right about that.  Suggesting that Blizzard include a GBA cart to add more content to the game would be like suggesting that someone include a memory cart with their Gamecube game to add more content.  It will never, ever, ever happen.

Ever.  The slot probably doesn't even have enough throughput to stream quality video to the display anyway.  (If you've ever actually watched a movie on the GBA you know what I mean.)

There will be peripherals, but other than Jam With the Band's expansion pack, I highly doubt you'll ever see content on GBA cart.

My blueberry bagel tastes like onion. Only the best at Bruegger's.

Heck, I'd still take it.  They don't have Bruegger's here.  I miss them, but not enough to move back to Iowa.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »
Back to Iowa? Where the hell did you move to? ;¬]

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2005, 08:29:28 PM »
Uh, Animal Crossing included a memory cart with the gamecube and it added more content. Well, kinda.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2005, 05:15:17 AM »
Gimme some portable WoW?  Please?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2005, 06:14:10 AM »
I guess that no more news of this has come out, and that Blizzard won't port anything to the DS. It was a poll after all...

*sad*
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2005, 06:43:50 AM »
Shut up Toruresu, they're working hard on my portable WoW.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »
Portable WoW? Is that even possible?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2005, 08:33:19 AM »
A dumbed down version, why not?  DS has online, graphics are good enough...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2005, 08:36:39 AM »
Well, maybe a spin off WoW:The lost lands or something.

WoW is huge, I don't think even a dumbed down version would do it justice. Besides, why not a new MMORPG created for the DS by Blizzard?

Oh, and Starcraft too : )
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2005, 09:05:37 AM »
WoW would be too much work and not really feasible. Either Warcraft/Starcraft or a spin-off like the console Everquest and Baldur's Gate games.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 02:19:12 PM »

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2005, 08:30:52 AM »
This is pretty big news...

I don't think its gonna be portable WoW but if something gets announced today for Battle.net, it would make sense that it is bringing it to another platform...

Man... just have starcraft and traditional warcraft online and portable would be HUGE...

I'm refreshing that page like mad.

http://www.battle.net
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2005, 08:43:04 AM »
Still nothing...bah!  

4 8 15 16 23 42

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2005, 09:09:39 AM »
Thought it might be of some interest that there's probably no point in refreshing - it's a flash page, it'll start up on its own when it's time.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2005, 09:31:30 AM »
Clicking that page keeps giving backgrounds of Starcraft and Warcraft races. I'd understand one, but why both?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2005, 09:34:52 AM »
Because... the main announcment is going to be that battle.net is being brought to the DS...

With it will come ports of Warcraft 2, Starcraft, etc.

And you will have to refresh.  I decompiled the swf and all it is is a random generator to pick one of the images.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram