Author Topic: Pokemon's Replay Value  (Read 10144 times)

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« on: February 15, 2003, 06:41:38 PM »
I just wanted to see if anyone else realized this ... or if its just me... Ok well i got Pokemon Red when i was in the summer of 4th grade ( now im in 8th ) and i played that game inside and out 24/7/365. I mean, i must have replayed it over 50 times. Then the Yellow Version came out when i was in 5th grade and i quickly bought it. I probably re-played it just as many times as i did Red. THEN 6th grade comes along and i get the Silver Version. I probably re-played it about 4 times and i have yet to come close to beating it. Then last year i bought Cyrstal ( i only bought it cause it was like 5$ ) and i played it once ..... WHATS GOING ON !?!?!?! I wish i could get into the game as much as i did with Red and Yellow but something just isnt there ...  Are the pokemon games just getting too repetative or am i just growing ( maturely ) out of pokemon ? Does anyone else feel this way ?

Offline Zaush

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 02:44:56 AM »

...  Are the pokemon games just getting too repetative or am i just growing ( maturely ) out of pokemon ? Does anyone else feel this way?

I bought the blue version and played the thing to death back in 10th grade, and ended up buying a GBA for Silver (imported). I don't recall enjoying the silver version as much because I couldn't understand half of it, but it seemed to me that G/S were just color versions of the first ones with afew added features.

I'm hoping Ruby/Sapphire will have some dynamic elements, or something in general that will make the experience as rewarding as the first games. I've played some of the import, but of course I can't draw conclusions on something I can't even read. My biggest hope is that there is some big side quest thing or a seemingly neverending amount of unnescessary objectives that one may pursue if they need to break away from the monotony.

I doubt age is an issue. I'm 20 and I still have alot of interest in the upcoming title. I've heard far more young'ins than adults badmouthing pokemon - with the poor reasoning that it's for little kids.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 04:14:10 AM »
I buoght Yellow in 7th grade, played through once, traded it in, and never looked back.  I think that it is just your taste in games that matters, now maturity, maybe you just weren't in the mood for what Silver offered,

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 05:55:15 PM »
to be honest i love them all.  The reason Pokemon red/blue (or green if you japanese) was SO addictive was because there was NOTHING else like it ...... ever.  It was very easy to get lost in the whole scheme of things that such a game offered.  I for one loved G/S/C and have played them all to completion and I am 19, and not a dork for you pokemon haters.  The reason i would like to say that S/G/C turned off SO many people is that there was WAY lots of pokemon.  Catching them all suddenly became a far off dream.  Also getting things like the steel coat were unpleasent because so hard and so few.  that is the best reason i can think of, that it was just overwhelmingly bigger.  Now as for R/S.  I have big faith and here is the no.1 reason why.  It is still Pokemon, but it just looks so much nicer.  The visuals in a game are very imprtant for the overall play.  I am against graphic design as a major factor in game play, but i think the eyes need a certain bit of color to them.  G/S had, what 256 colors, or actually it was alot less right.  Compared to the GBA is just looks simple  way to simple.  I believe the new pokemon will satisfy us by letting us see the pokemon almost in a cartton look.  I believe I may be right, but i may also be wrong.  Either way, i love pokemon.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 08:11:29 PM »
The new pokemon games seem to be very different from the last ones, at least from what i read about it, which wasn't much. The talent shows will add a nice touch i think. Not only are your pokemon the best, they're the best looking (bah-da-ping)!

The only thing about the new ones I don't like is that you can't trade with previous versions! My poor pokemon I had for all that time! They better include Mewtwo somewhere in Ruby/Sapphire! Not cuz he's the most powerful though, just cuz he's my favorite.
AC Info:
Town: PsiWater
Name: Chris(space before the C)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 04:31:27 AM »
He is not in there but they may include a way to get them in the game that coming for the Gamecube. There are only 202 of the 380+ Pokemon.

The major part of the replay is finding Phantom Island which if you don't cheet is almost impossible because it depends on the Pokemon's unseen data on the cart. (1 in 1000 +) And there are five Special Pokemon that are in both games that you have to search for. There  a new temple type area that opens up after you beat the Elite Four and a Mew Two type cave.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 05:04:46 AM »
i thought there were alot of NEW pokemon is this game.  Also i understand the trading situation, but still am not happy about it.  Although there may be a reason why it is not allowed outside of technical rreasons.  Anyway, the island sounds like a cool thing to work towards.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 07:01:11 AM »
Yes there are over 100 new pokemon. But most of the orginal pokemon are not avaible to get. So almost every Pokemon you run into will be a new addition.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 08:15:57 AM »
Nooooooooooo!
U guys are saying I can't transfer my lvl 70 Tyrantar?
No! Its almost unbeatable!
STill samekind ofdifferencesbetween the 2 versions( meaning only different pokémon)?

El Pollo Diablos
Nintendo is going to treat us good:F-Zero and Star Fox Armada, new Pikmin, 1080, Kirby, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and 2 or 3 new franchises ( maybe mature).
Planning on buying an Xbox! Now all I nead is a good gamertag for Live!

Offline Samuslover

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 02:32:15 PM »
Well i have beaten ruby 3 times already. The reason why red/blue was so addivtive was because it was the first time you played a game like that. There was nothing like it anywhere. Now yellow comes out and it bascially follows the tv show. The gold and silver comes out and pokemon gets even bigger. Now r/s comes out and it only have 65 of the old pokemon from r/b/g/s and 135 new ones. There are 202 catchable pokemon in r/s but there are 386 pokemon. Actually all 386 pokemon are programmed in the game. Most people think that only 202 pokemon are in the game. Well thats wrong. Lots of codes are out for all the old pokemon and a patch have been made for the ruby rom to have all 386 pokemon programemed to be caught in the wild. Check out the pokemon r/s boards at gamefaqs. Also there is a gameshark code to trigger the pokedex upgrade to include all the old pokemon in the pokedex. Before i used that code when i caught a pokemon say pidgey for ex in the wild after i catch it the pokedex info would come up but it would not save in the pokedex. There is another mode in the pokedex that haves to be unlocked somehow to include all the old pokemon, The gameshark unlocks that function. But i want to know how to do it legally. Anyway all 386 pokemon are in this game. Johto and Kanto are not in this game and only 1 world is Houen. Well this post really had nothing to do with the topic all well.
Vegeta (Goku I need something to blast. Throw me a X-BOX)

No Cubone in r/s what the hell was nintendo thinking?

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2003, 04:44:48 PM »
Alot of these posts have nothing to do with the topic.... ITS TURNING INTO A POKEMON RUBY/SAPHIRE DISCUSSION !!!! lol .. i should change the topic .... I still try to play pokemon and for some reason .. i just cant ... maybe i just need something new ... How much longer till March ?

Offline Animelee

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 06:34:36 PM »
No, no, no!

In the recent edition of Nintendo Dream in Japan, Gamefreak (Pokemon's developers) were interviewed, and they said that in Summer 2003 in Japan, a new Pokemon game for GAMECUBE will be released, and it'll let you get your old Pokemon.

Since all the data for the "unobtainable" Pokemon is in Ruby and Sapphire (ALL 386 Pokemon), it makes sense.

When I say data, I mean stats, abilities, characterisitcs, sprites, EVERYTHING that an obtainable Pokemon has. So no worries, people! There were problems with compatibility between old version of Pokemon and Pokemon RS, so backwards trading wasn't possible, but no doubt the old Pokemon will be obtained by sticking your old versions of Pokemon into the Gameboy Player in the Gamecube while the new Pokemon game is in, and then withdrawing them into the GC's Pokemon PC, and then sending them to Ruby or Sapphire! ^_^
The biggest Pokemon fan of all time.
Proud Nintendo fanboy.
"If it ain't from Nintendo, then I automatically hate it."

Offline Samuslover

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2003, 10:59:46 AM »
Yea i heard about some magazine confiming that the gamecube game will somehow get you the old pokemon Even though i'm not really sure. I just don't know how they would do it. I mean will you just be able to download them from the game into the gba. Also all 386 pokemon have pokedex entries.
Vegeta (Goku I need something to blast. Throw me a X-BOX)

No Cubone in r/s what the hell was nintendo thinking?

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2003, 09:15:47 AM »
So if Im right u can onlytrade with another GBA pokemonagmeand notwith a GB(C) game like gold or silver?

El Pollo Diablos
Nintendo is going to treat us good:F-Zero and Star Fox Armada, new Pikmin, 1080, Kirby, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and 2 or 3 new franchises ( maybe mature).

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 07:26:10 PM »
i had both pokemon red and blue, and now im the proud owner of silver, which ill admit is a bit daunting to play, sooo much stuff to get, specially when you dont have anyone to trade with =\ but i do love the game, it seems to offer more in the way of challenges which is nice, hey i still haven't managed to train my guys up enough to beat ash/Red ^_^

also, side note on pokemon, with a gameboy adapter for gamecube, and a bband adapter for it, theoretically wouldn't it be possible to trade with another gamecube linked to it?

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2003, 02:47:09 AM »
Yeah that could be verycool.
U mean like u know nobody with anotherGBA but thenwith the GBA/NGC connection u can trade pokemon with peopleover the internet.
That would mean u cantrade a lot more and get a bigger variety of pokemon.

El Pollo Diablos

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2003, 12:38:39 PM »
yes exactly, i dont think it would be hard to code at all, all you would need is the right IP and away you go, trade get!
i was also thinking along the lines of using 2 gamecubes as gameboys and trading that way, using gba player and a bband adapter and linking up (similar to pso)

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
Pokemon's Replay Value
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2003, 01:07:39 PM »
I can understand. I was psyched about Gold and Silver after playing through my copy of Blue for three years, but when I finally got my hands on Silver, I was a bit disappointed. Granted, it was a vast improvement from the earlier games, but it just felt like re-treading old territory. I mean, the first Pokemon I caught were a Rattata and a Pidgey, the same ones I first caught in Blue. It felt like Pokemon 1.5.  And also, I think I spoiled a lot of it for myself, because I read tons of spoilers on the Japanese version and downloaded images of all the new Pokemon. When I first played Blue, I actually thought the dude at Mt. Moon was selling me some sort of magic carpet... It was a MagiKarp and I had no idea what it really was! There was really none of that for me in Silver, I already knew everything, about Breeding, items Pokemon could hold, all that. This time around, I've tried to stay as far away from spoiling anything as much as possible (same as I'm doing with Wind Waker). I also believe with a new graphics engine and new battling system, it will be a true evolution of the Pokemon games.