Author Topic: Anyone else get ther GBA SP yet?  (Read 5157 times)

Offline blankoboy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone else get ther GBA SP yet?
« on: February 13, 2003, 01:06:03 AM »
I picked mine up this morning in Shibs....I couldn't believe that I missed the reservation cut-off at Lawsons and all the stores on February 1st but I did...work can be blamed for that (damned server room move and other junk).  After some serious legwork this week with no luck, I thought I'd be doomed till March to get one for my little bro back home in Canada...however I happened upon some great fortune and after doing the charm thing on the manager, she agreed to hold two aside for me and give me a shout as soon as they came in.

So, this morning (Thursday the 13th...a day b4 release even, wheee!) I get a call from Hiroko and she told me they had arrived. Needless to say I hopped on the train (I live 10 mins from Shibs) and picked up my black and silver SP's....then sadly I went straight to the office to do my Japanese salary man hours!

So now I am finally back (early no less, for once!) and I'm off to the post office to send the black one off to my bro....<it's the black colour that isn't coming out in North America right? Just wanted to get him something different.>.

Nothing much to tell about the hardware other than what you have all read in the previews. I do find it to be a perfect fit in my hands..despite my half jappy half whitey hands.....Nintendo really has a cash cow with the SP. When I was on the train on the way home from work tonight playing it (geek-style) all the other guys (adults no less, and kids) were freaking asking how I got mine before it was released....I honestly don't think N-gage will make a dent in N's sales, actually I don't think it'll do all that well (atleast the 1st revision). The convenience of the GBA SP's size, the rechargable batteries, and lit display make it a great toy for bringing around w/ you! I know kids are gonna make this a must have for trips (long car trips in the night, gosh I wish they had these when I was a little tyke).

I was lucky enough to be able to get one today as the store I got mine at always gets their nintendo related stock in a day prior to release...mind you they only had 5 of each colour (silver, black and purple).  Hope you all enjoy your's just as much! Corey....don't worry man your GBA SP is gonna be in the mail in about 2 hours, as soon as I stuff my face with some food. Happy gaming!

-blankoboy

Offline jasstoltz

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 05:05:42 AM »
I haven't gotten one yet, and I'm not sure if I will. Aside from apperances, since you've been able to play it for a while, do you think it's worth the money just to upgrade for the backlight and the battery pack? My gaming budget is limited and I think I, like a lot of people, may just buy games instead.  

Offline blankoboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 05:15:37 AM »
Good question jasstoltz, I would say that the backlight really brings the level of enjoyment up substantially. I must admit that my original GBA just sat and collected dust because I grew increasingly frustrated at the glare, eye strain, and having to find ideal lighting to play it in at a somewhat enjoyable level. Taking that pov I would say yes, however, if budget is a factor well that is all up to the person making up the budget to decide I guess. I really think it is nice and sleak, and fits perfectly into a jacket pocket for a long train ride (shinkansen to Osaka for example).

Although it is a bit late if I may suggest that you may have been wiser to sell your original GBA about 2 months ago or as soon as you heard of the new SP version as the current version of GBA will be hard to sell with the SP out. Oh, actually you still have a month b4 NA release so, I would boogie and try to sell it for the best possible price. If you manage to do that then the price difference is justifiable I would say. I should not be preaching as I was too lazy and did not sell mine in time =(.

- blankoboy

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 09:08:25 AM »
If u want to buy a lot of spare GBA's this is the time .
Well here in Europe the SP campagne isnt that big.
Nobody that I know that has a GBA isgonnabuy a SP.

I mean with the good backlights in build( www.abhq.com) its MUCH cheaper.
And the charger batteries. Ihave a rechargeable GBA battery pack already so that is no point.
Only thing is the screen doesnt get damaged that much and its more portable now.
But I gotacarriercase so I haveabsolutly no reason to buy one.
For people who dont have GBA already its a good deal but for the other people..........nahhh.

El Pollo DIablos( the devil chicken).
Nintendo is going to treat us good:F-Zero and Star Fox Armada, new Pikmin, 1080, Kirby, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and 2 or 3 new franchises ( maybe mature).
Planning on buying an Xbox! Now all I nead is a good gamertag for Live!