Author Topic: No instructions and no box.... hmmmmm.  (Read 5806 times)

Offline jasstoltz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
No instructions and no box.... hmmmmm.
« on: February 11, 2003, 06:35:58 AM »
Does anyone else find it curious that a lot of the used games listed on-line are sold without instructions and/or boxes? I buy used games a lot on-line but have wondered if people are making pirated copies, especially after someone I bought games from on ebay was shut down by the site. When I buy new games I keep everything. Don't you? Is this/has this ever been a problem with nintendo's cartidges?

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 06:55:25 AM »
A lot of people throw away their boxes. The only reason that I started to keep my boxes is if one day I decided to sell my games, then I would get more with the boxes and instructions.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 07:11:26 AM »
Unlike optical discs, cartridges don't need any sort of casing to keep them protected.  Therefore the box and manual often get seperated from the cartridge because they aren't really needed.  With used Gamecube games they almost always come with the "box" because the case protects the disc.  The instructions also are easily kept in the case so they're often kept as well.

So this has always been a problem with used cartridge games.  If you think finding used GBA games with box and manual is hard to do try finding anything on the SNES or older with box and manual.  Older games can often increase in price significantly if the box and manual are included because it's more rare.

Offline jasstoltz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 07:51:34 AM »
I see. All great points, and reason enough to think that they're probably not illegal copies. Personally, it doesn't bother me if there is no box or manual, since I can find answers to any manualish questions online. When it comes down to it, I'm not willing to spend an extra $5, or whatever it is, just for the manual. More money for another game!

Offline jasstoltz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 10:18:58 AM »
Never mind. Piracy reigns, or at least exists for GBA:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3943

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 10:41:40 AM »
Isn't GBA piracy usually done via the flash cable rather than any actual carts?  Of course they are more sophisticated in Asia, but those tend to stay there.

Offline shoney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2003, 12:23:04 PM »
What does this have to do with GBA???