Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Review  (Read 24644 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Review
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »

Throwing in everything including the kitchen sink, Super Smash Bros. on Wii U is jam-packed with content in the best way.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/39062/super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-review

Note: After playing everything Smash Bros. Wii U has to offer online, we have updated our review with a score and tweaked the text. Enjoy!

When playing through Super Smash Bros. on 3DS earlier this year, something felt missing. There was certainly a lot to love about the first appearance of the series on a handheld, but it still felt slightly off. After spending a ton of time with Super Smash Bros. on Wii U, I now know what the issue was: the single-player content wasn't quite as deep. The multiplayer was more personal and less revelatory. Smash Bros. on Wii U blows the pants off of its 3DS predecessor by including tons of content and delivering one of the deepest, most complete games I have ever played.

It all starts with the multiplayer, which is just as frenetic and amazing as it was in past games. The biggest tweak to that tried-and-true formula is eight-player Smash. Hopping in with seven friends is sublime, and while the limited stage selection when playing with more than four players is disappointing, it doesn't ruin the unbridled chaos that transpires when you have so many people fighting at once. Still, while the sheer audacity of this mode is fantastic, eight-player Smash is ultimately just a novelty, something to savor when you have that many willing participants in the same room. The real meat and potatoes of Smash Bros. is and forever will be four-player battles (or two-player battles depending on your personal preference), which is aided by the varied array of characters, items, and assist trophies (all carried over from the 3DS version). The Wii U version also adds an amazing assortment of stages, the majority of which are far less gimmicky than the 3DS version's stages. There are still some miserable ones (What's up, Pac-Land?), but there are also amazing concept stages such as Gamer and Duck Hunt. Throw in a deep and highly customizable Stage Builder and some great returning classics, and Smash Wii U easily has the best set of stages in the series so far.

While local multiplayer is incredible, the online multiplayer leaves a little bit to be desired at times. Lag isn’t a regular occurrence, but it shows up often enough that it’s a nagging issue. Like the 3DS version, it features For Fun matches (timed matches with items) and For Glory matches (one-on-one matches with no items on the Omega stages). Friends matches are easy to start up and join; you can even do so from the friends list outside on the Wii U system menu. Voice chat is possible in-between matches, which is functional but the game would benefit from actually having voice chat during matches.

Aside from the traditional Smash multiplayer experience, the Wii U version also adds a bevy of solo  modes. Smash Tour, which is a fast-paced Mario Party-lite board game, is the lone dud. Even with ample instructions, it's a confusing random mess. If you can find four people who actually understand the entire concept of Smash Tour, you might have some fun, but it's such a difficult idea to wrap your head around that every time I played it with friends, everyone would beg to quit halfway through and just play regular multiplayer. It’s a testament to how much fun the combat is that people just want to do that, but it also highlights how stale Smash Tour is that no one really wanted to do more than try it out once. It feels like a missed opportunity considering how much better Smash Run is on 3DS.

My favorite Wii U-exclusive mode is Events. Much like the same mode in past Smash Bros. games, you are tasked with completing a wide variety of unique challenges. Instead of the linear list of past games, Events in the Wii U game are revamped as a series of branching paths, more of which unlock as you complete them in different ways and unlock new characters. The events almost always contain a novel, interesting gameplay twist that ties into character’s backgrounds and histories. For example, one matches pit four Toon Links against each other in a call to the Four Swords game. Special Orders is another mode that is similar to Events. Master Orders, starring Master Hand, are generally more conventional challenges while the more intense Crazy Orders are series of events that get progressively harder until you attempt to defeat Crazy Hand. Since the orders are all randomly generated, those two modes are near limitless (they are also an awesome way to grind for items).

Aside from the unfortunate lack of Smash Run, all the other modes from the 3DS version made it to the Wii U version. The biggest change is to Classic Mode, but it still is the same idea just with a different wrapper and a different final boss. You can also run through most every mode in two-player co-op, which changes up how you approach Home Run Contest and more. It makes grinding for all of the unlockable items a little more fun than the 3DS version, though there is so much stuff to unlock that it’s hard to believe. There are more than 300 songs, including some fantastic new musical remixes. The trophies seem almost limitless and include surprising, wonderful callbacks to Nintendo’s history. Most of these can be unlocked randomly through playing virtually any mode, while some can only be unlocked by completing the challenge wall, which features a little more variety than the 3DS one. And if you did play the 3DS version, you can bring over your customized characters and even use your 3DS as a controller. Unfortunately, the implementation is very clumsy. You have to import characters one by one, which makes it an arduous task if you customized a majority of the 45+ characters.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is filled with so much content it is overwhelming at times. While the best mode of play will always be sitting back and fighting with friends, so much varied peripheral content is added that it is a continual delight to play through every challenge and mode, regardless of whether I played through a similar mode on 3DS recently. The online multiplayer isn’t perfect, but it’s light years beyond what was present in Brawl and comparable to the 3DS version. Even still, the easiest way to say it is like this: The Wii U release is the best version of Smash Bros. to date.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Review
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
Smash Tour shaping up to be the Smash Run of this version.

Can we guess the score? I'll go 9.5.

Great review, Neal.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
Nah, 7.5 so the Internet can cry.

Nice review. I was going to buy this regardless (in fact, I technically already did), but it's still nice to see that people are enjoying the game.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
Score is still in flux, but I'll give an eShop game download code to whoever gets it right.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
Based on the praise and the Nintendo's likely netcode issues, I'm going to go with a 9.0 guess.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
Sounds like a 10.0
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline coltsfan0489

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
Guessing a 9.5. Online could change that to a higher score but I don't see it being lower...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
Well being Neal we can't base this off his past reviews...

I have no faith in the Netcode.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »
black fairy tales are better at sports

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »

Smash Tour was boring and the lack of Smash Run was disappointing, but, seeing as both modes are really just little side-bonuses added onto the main game, I don't think they will really offset the overall score. Otherwise, I was perfectly satisfied (especially considering that they went to the effort to produce a GCN controller adaptor).

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »
As the staunch defender of Smash Run, I... don't know how I feel about Smash Tour. I mean, I actually like the idea of a mode framed around drafting fighters and making whatever you end up with work. Lots of Yugioh and a bit of Magic the gathering experience has lead me to perform booster drafts there, and those are really fun and exciting to play under that context. What perplexes me, however, is the board game framing mechanism for all this and how potentially confusing and how luck Vs. Skill based this mode is. Smash Run requires some luck, but I find that if I go in with a general strategy that I form on the fly that I'll win 9 times out of 10 thanks to knowing the map and trying to hit up hot-spots while vanquishing more worthwhile enemies that happen to get in my path.

By the way, for those of you who are interested and aren't just buying the game at midnight and doing something similar, I'll actually be streaming tomorrow evening into friday morning as I play various Nintendo stuff leading into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 06:31:43 PM »
Embedded the video review. Check it out!
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »
I'm gonna guess 10, banking that the online will work for him.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
8.9-

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »
Score is still in flux, but I'll give an eShop game download code to whoever gets it right.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »
Is this The Price is Right rules. Closest guess without going over?

If so, then I guess 0.1 provided we are using a 10.0 scale.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 11:08:52 PM »
I'm guessing it's going to be a 9.0, assuming that the online play is good but not without flaws, which seems to be par for the course with Nintendo.

I hope the online play is good, I have no one locally to play with and the single player in Smash is always fun but does get old after a while.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 12:08:13 AM »
I'm guessing 8.7.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 12:20:14 AM »
I should probably say a bit about the review instead of just guess.

I'm surprised by your opinion of Smash tour. It looks interesting, but I can see how it can become tedious. I feel like it could be more fun if you focus on running into players rather than collecting.

This feels like the best smash to date. Loaded with features and modes and most importantly, characters. Getting a Wii U this year and this is the first I'm gettting.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Retro64z

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 01:36:29 AM »
I think a 9.7

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »
Y'all know NWR only uses .0 and .5, right?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 07:47:12 AM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Retro64z

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 08:40:37 AM »
Ok, then a 9.0

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Y'all are gonna be so stunned when Neal announces his 7.4 score and I rake in all the prizes because you've all overbid.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »