Author Topic: Help me with my dream!  (Read 36573 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Help me with my dream!
« on: January 01, 2007, 04:13:42 PM »
Okay, as some of you know, I'm a Nintendo Hardware Whore.  And just a whore.

But anywhoo, in spite of the fact that I've done such neat things as liked my SNES and GameCube together to play original GB Tetris multiplayer and hooked my Wii, GameCube and PS1/Monitor together in some mad orgy for Pac-Man vs., I still haven't completed the one thing I've wanted to do since... well, since I first heard it was possible.

About 15 years ago, FaceBall 2000 was released for the GameBoy.  I got this game, probably sometime around when it was released and was amused by it.  It was a FPS.  In black and white.  For the Game Boy.  It wasn't very exciting in single player though.  I always wanted to try multi-player, but never had a second cart or knew anyone who did.  In fact, I'm not certian how or why I got my copy...

So here's the deal though... This game is very unique and special - and not just because it's the only FPS for the original Game Boy... but because it is the only Game Boy game *EVER* to support 16 players at once.  Yes, friends, you can connect up to 16 Game Boys (each with a copy of this cart) for a 16 Player FaceBall 2000 Death Match.

And I want to.

The problem is, I don't have 16 copies of the game.

In fact, I only have one.  (although I did just purchase a second used copy on eBay tonight!).

I've never seen this particular game out in the wild.  In fact, when I think about looking, I've only ever seen one other copy on eBay (it's still there, in fact... it's $40 and sealed, much more than I want to spend).

So, if y'all could, when you're out looking through your various used game stores, keep an eye out for this one.  I don't want to pay much for this (I'm cheap and I don't know how easily I could explain to my wife why I need 16 copies of this game).

As for hardware...
I have the following GameBoys that will work:
Two original Brick Game Boys
One Red Brick Game Boy
One Game Boy Color
Two Game Boy Advances
One Game Boy Advance SP
One Super Nintendo with Super Game Boy 2
One GameCube with Game Boy Player

For a total of 9 Game Boys!  I also have a spare Game Boy Player, but I'm still looking for a cheap-ass second Game Cube... I'm guessing I'll probably have that before I manage to gather 16 copies of this game.  Also, I have high hopes a certian someone will come through with getting me a cheap ass Game Boy Light from Japan.  So, this'll bring me up to 11 Game Boys.  Outside of that, original Game Boys and Game Boy Pockets can be found super-cheap, so I'm not to worried about that.

For Cables, I'm not 100% certian what I have.  This is where it gets a little tricky though.  For 16 players, you'd need 7 of the old F-1 Race 4 Player adapters.

I have them.

In fact, Troz did some fancy work on one of them and made it so it can connect directly to a GameBoy Advance instead of the older style Game Boy - so I'm set with FPA's.  Unfortunatly, the FPAs require either original Game Boy Link cables (and with those, original Game Boys) or one of the various "Universal Link Cables" that has the fat plug on one end and the smaller plug on the other end (to which every thing else from Post-Game Boy to GBA will connect to).  I *think* I'm cool on original Link Cables (depending on how I finish off the Game Boy collection for this), but I know I'll probably need some more Universal Link Cables.  However, these are pretty easy to come across, so I'm not worried about this.  The Game Paks are the hard part.

Well, almost.

I'm going to have to get 15 other people to play as well.  I'd think that for something as crazy as this, I could get my wife to throw in a round or two.  And a few friends and friends of friends, here and there should work, if I can convince them to drive an hour (or more) to play a 15 year old black and white game.  Maybe I can give away a prize.

Anywhoo, the point is, keep an eye out for super-cheap FaceBall 2000 carts, would ya?  Let me know if you find one (or Fourteen!).

Eventually, if my plan gets off the ground here, I might piece together a website (although I'm going to have to get something better than my camera phone to take pics with), just so y'all can see how crazy the hook up ends up being.  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Help me with my dream!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »
I bought a used copy at a game store that sold used games a few years ago. o:  You can't have it. o_o  I think I might've also gotten a copy of the SNES version for shits and giggles. :b

I don't visit such stores much anymore, though (I usually order games online for the convenience).  So I'll probably be pretty useless. ):
GOREGASM!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
Yokai, taichou!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 05:18:32 PM »
Well, I'm slightly lost on what Bill's talking about there, but I've just realized something...

If I spend just $10 each, I'll have $150 invested in just the extra copies of the game.

Unfortunatly, I just got a little trigger happy and purchased a second (mentioned in the OP) and third copy from eBay and Half.com for just under $15 each.

Considering it'll cost a minimum of $3-$5 to get the games shipped to me, I could end up with quite a bit invested in this.

I need to rethink this plan.  I'm thinking I need sponsors.  I can place stickers of various company logos on my Game Boys that would show up on the videos that I'd upload of the 16-player match happening... think that'll work?  It'd be like NASCAR, only cooler and more interesting.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »
That's a terrible idea.  You should do what Bill said.
GOREGASM!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Help me with my dream!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »
If I can find a copy of the game, I will trade it to you in exchange for removing the man-nipple from your avatar.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
Will you also buy a game for me if I make my avatar that Link x Dark Link one? o:
GOREGASM!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 03:54:20 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
If I can find a copy of the game, I will trade it to you in exchange for removing the man-nipple from your avatar.

Done!

(although my forum title doesn't make any sense now...)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 05:29:29 AM »
I think you'll have to make your own 16-way connector system to get those Game Boys connected as the official cables and hubs don't do that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 06:07:37 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I think you'll have to make your own 16-way connector system to get those Game Boys connected as the official cables and hubs don't do that.

Ye-old Four Player Adapter will work, but it requires seven of them (which I have) and 15 other Link Cables (some of which I have)...

In fact, here's an intereview with one of the programmers that talks about using the 4-Player adatper: http://web.archive.org/web/20050214211828/faceball2000.gbadvanzed.com/rchampagne.html

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
mister uncle bob I will galdy support your cause in exchange for advertising. Pm me for details.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 08:47:45 AM »
I have nothing to offer.  However, if you somehow manage to get everything you need to do this, but are still short on players, I will drive down from Chicago and play; I'll even bring my own AAs.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 08:49:01 AM »
Hey vudu, don't you at least have an old Game Boy lying around that you could bring with you?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:46:25 AM »
Okay, I took an inventory of what I've got and what I'll need.  I'm a little short from what I said in my opening post, so here we go again:

First, I need 16 copies of FaceBall 2000.
FaceBall 2000 #1 - Alpha Copy (i.e.: My original)
FaceBall 2000 #2 - Purchased from eBay on 1.1.07
FaceBall 2000 #3 - Purchased from Half.com on 1.1.07
FaceBall 2000 #4 - Purchased from Half.com on 1.2.07
FaceBall 2000 #5 - Purchased from Amazon.com on 1.2.07 (Thanks segagamer12)
FaceBall 2000 #6 - Purchased from Amazon.com on 1.2.07 (Thanks segagamer12)
FaceBall 2000 #7 - Purchased from Amazon.com on 1.2.07 (Thanks segagamer12)
FaceBall 2000 #8 - Purchased from eBay on 1.4.07
FaceBall 2000 #9 - Purchased from eBay on 1.4.07
FaceBall 2000 #10 - Purchased from eBay on 1.5.07
FaceBall 2000 #11 - Purchased from eBay on 1.5.07
FaceBall 2000 #12 - Purchased from Half.com on 1.5.07
FaceBall 2000 #13 - Purchased from eBay on 1.7.07
FaceBall 2000 #14 - Purchased from eBay on 1.7.07
FaceBall 2000 #15 - *pending*
FaceBall 2000 #16 - *pending*
(Score me a cart and get your name here!)

Then, I need 16 GameBoy units:
GameBoy #1-Original Brick Game Boy (my first!)
GameBoy #2-Original Brick Game Boy (one my mom bought used for Tetris)
GameBoy #3-Red Brick Game Boy (Bought it used, cheap, because it's Red!)
GameBoy #4-Grape Game boy Color (my original Game Boy Color)
GameBoy #5-SNES+SuperGameBoy 2+Game Genie+TV (USES SNES *pending*)
GameBoy #6-Indigo Game Boy Advance (my original)
GameBoy #7-Glaicer Game Boy Advance (Mystery Gift?!)
GameBoy #8-Classic NES edition GBASP (my baby)
GameBoy #9-GameCube+GameBoy Player+TV
GameBoy #10-Original Brick Game Boy *pending*
GameBoy #11-GameBoy Pocket*pending*
GameBoy #12-GameBoy Pocket *pending*
GameBoy #13-GameBoy Color *pending*
GameBoy #14-
GameBoy #15-
GameBoy #16-GameBoy Player + TV (needs a Cheap-ass GameCube to go with it)
(Score me a Game Boy and get your name here!)

Next up, I need seven, count 'em, seven 4-player adapters.  The first and the last will connect three Game Boys each (16-6=10) and the ones in the middle will connect two each (10/2=5, 5+2=7!):
Four Player Adapter #1-My original from F-1 Race back in the day.
Four Player Adapter #2-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.  Modified to connect to a GBA port.
Four Player Adapter #3-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #4-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #5-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #6-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #7-Purchased from eBay on 1.7.07

Then, finally, I need the link cables to connect all this crap together.  There are three official kinds of Link Cables that I can use, depending upon the unit.
There's the original style of Link Cable that has the fatter plug on both ends.  This cable is needed to connect original style Game Boys (#1, #2, #3)
There's a second style of Link.  This cable features the smaller cable on one end, then splits off into two cables - one with the smaller end and one with the fatter end.  The fatter end is needed to plug into the Four Player Adapter and the opposite smaller end can be pluged into all the other GameBoys (Pockets, Colors, Advances and the Super Game Boy 2).  The 3rd other end can't be plugged into anything.
Third, is the more common "Universal Link Cable",  It's got two small plugs on both ends and comes with a nifty little adapter that changes the skinny plug into a fat plug.  Ideally, if you had one of these cables and two adapters, it could be used for original Game Boys as well.

These are numbered to match the Game Boy listing above:

Link Cable #1 - Old style Link Cable from my original Game Boy
Link Cable #2 - Old style Link Cable purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Link Cable #3 - Oldstyle Link Cable from eBay (1.7.7)
Link Cable #4 - Y Link Cable from Game Boy Printer
Link Cable #5 - Y Link Cable purchased from The Book Broker in Evansville, IN.
Link Cable #6 - Universal Link Cable purchased from Wal*Mart in Princeton, IN
Link Cable #7 - The cable coming off Four Player Adapter #2
Link Cable #8 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #9 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #10 - Oldstyle Link Cable from eBay (1.7.7)
Link Cable #11 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #12 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #13 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #14 - Auction Cable?
Link Cable #15 - Auction Cable?
Link Cable #16 - Auction Cable?

So... As of now, I need ZERO cables, Zero Four Player Adapters, maybe 2 Game Boys and a GameCube (or another Game Boy), and maybe two more copies of FaceBall 2000.      

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 09:53:03 AM »
O_O

I think I can help you.  I have a get rich quick scheme I've been cooking up for a while that might help you, but we're going to need a large pile of wood, tons of lighter fluid, a match, and an eBay account.  It involves a fake story about your house burning down and a piece of wood with the visage of the Virgin Mary on it.  Catch my drift?  Get on it.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »
I still have my GB player and GC available but I dont knwo if they are for sale I have to ask my sister.  
You can call me

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 08:23:19 PM »
Do the parts you have so far work? Can you try setting up a network of the parts you have already?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 02:06:16 AM »
Unfortunatly, I only actually have one copy of FB2K in my posession at this point in time - I'm waiting on the other six to be shipped out.  Untill at least four more arrive, I won't be able to test much of anything.

I have successfully ran 4-Player F1-Race with one player though.

Okay everyone, a little bit of an update!  The Only FaceBall 2000 Fansite on the web is back!  I e-mailed Don last night about my plans and asked him if there was any chance of seeing the site brought back so that I could have something to link to besides the Internet WayBack machine and he hooked me up!

http://fb2k.retro-spect.ca/

Go there and check it out.  It's got screen shots, an awesome interview (with another one coming soon!) and some other fun stuff.  Check it out... it's where my event pictures may end up being hosted.

Also, I just upgraded my cell phone!  Whoo!  The new phone I'm getting has a 2 MP Digital Camera and a video mode.  If, for some reason, this still sucks, I imangine that I'll be able to borrow a friend's camera for pictures.  But this phone better not suck, because I want it.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 03:52:37 AM »
UncleBob, I have, in my possesion, two gray brick Game Boys.  The only thing is that one has scratches on the screen [plays fine otherwise], while the other doesn't have a battery case.

Find a way for me to get one [or both] to you, and you're golden.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 04:13:07 AM »
Wow... I checked the store.nintendo.com site, because they used to sell battery covers and replacement screens cheap, but it appears they don't sell either one.

Well, Anywhoo, that's awesome either way!  I won't have the old, fatter link cables for them, but that shouldn't be as much of an issue.  How much for the pair, shipped to ZIP 62821?

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 04:41:44 AM »
Tell you what buddy, I'll be a sport and just part my ways with them.  They've just been sitting in my desk not doing anything so consider them yours.

Information would be great to send them too
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 05:32:47 AM »
Now that I think of it, I think I also have a Pocket somewhere too O,o

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 05:55:48 AM »
Dude!  You're giving me a heart attack... I think this is going to work.
I have an eBay auction with one day left to go that will be a big boom to this entire plan, even more so combined with a purchase I just made from Nintendo's Parts Department.

Vudu, were you serious about coming down?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 06:39:31 AM »
If you can somehow manage to get 16 copies of the game, sure.  I have a few Game Boys of my own (and maybe an old link cable, but I'd have to double check on that one), but I didn't think those would be the limiting factor.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 08:50:06 AM »
dude give me plenty of notice and Id come. On second thought just getme pics and vids and call it good.  
You can call me