Author Topic: Happy 20th Birthday Eternal Darkness  (Read 3940 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Happy 20th Birthday Eternal Darkness
« on: July 07, 2022, 03:39:31 AM »
I missed it by a few days. But Eternal Darkness was released June 24, 2002.

I just thought about it recently looking through ai generations of Cthulhu medical illustrations. Which reminded me of Edward and Maximilian Roivas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dalle2/comments/vt21kt/medical_illustration_of_a_cthulhus_anatomy_with/
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: Happy 20th Birthday Eternal Darkness
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 03:32:29 PM »
I have heard great things about this game but never had the chance to play it. Is it only available to play on Gamecube?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 09:29:25 PM »
I remember picking this up from the mall and saying I am getting it because of the history over 2000 years.

It was a good reason and it is a fun game to replay over and over.

I think I went with Blue first and then Red then green.  Blue(easy; hard to get magic replenished) Green(Medium, lots of sanity effects and then those sanity effects taking HP) Red(Hard, Tougher enemies and more enemies and thus quicker sanity train and damage taken) 

Once you get the 4th symbol the game gets a bit more fun and you can just enjoy the game.

Yes Bungle it is only on the gamecube.  If you have a Wii you can play the gamecube disk on there but solely Gamecube.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 06:51:37 AM »
I wish I still had this pop up

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »
I should probably play this game sometime.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 02:36:32 PM »
I want to replay this soon. Almost got my wife interested in trying it as something to play together because she thought the psychological effects would be fun to experience.

Also trying to get her to play the Silent Hill Shattered Memories because I think she would enjoy that as well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 11:46:28 AM »
For you Eternal Darkness fans - are there any spiritual successors that come to mind? 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 01:21:35 AM »
For you Eternal Darkness fans - are there any spiritual successors that come to mind? 

Well it's already been 10 years, but I really wish Shadows of the Eternals had got funded.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 06:36:47 PM »

Well it's already been 10 years, but I really wish Shadows of the Eternals had got funded.

I'm pretty sure if it had been funded, it would have been one of those projects that died anyway...or turned out like Mighty No. 9. Dyack's inability to put a team together and keep them there since Silicon Knights is pretty well-documented at this point. Considering all the projects that came after Eternal Darkness, Dyack doesn't seem to be an altogether competent game designer and project lead.

As for Eternal Darkness successors, there aren't really any other combat-focused cosmic horror games that aren't really about combat (aka "Not Bloodborne"). Probably the closest I can think of in tone is a PS4 & PC game I recently played called Song of Horror, which is a puzzle-centric horror game with an unkillable dark presence that randomly comes after you as you try and break a curse. The game is genuinely unnerving you explore, solve puzzles, and deal with the Presence as it stalks you. I should get back to that game at some point.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 06:38:20 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 05:53:05 PM »
Song of Horror ay? That sounds pretty fun. I'm going to look into it.

I was in my moms garage and found my cousins old Eternal Darkness. I think my bother sold mine ages ago once I moved out. A lot of nostalgia just looking at that old disc and game case. I'd love it if Nintendo brought it back. The little teases in Smash at least acknowledge its existence.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 07:33:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure if it had been funded, it would have been one of those projects that died anyway...or turned out like Mighty No. 9. Dyack's inability to put a team together and keep them there since Silicon Knights is pretty well-documented at this point. Considering all the projects that came after Eternal Darkness, Dyack doesn't seem to be an altogether competent game designer and project lead.

As for Eternal Darkness successors, there aren't really any other combat-focused cosmic horror games that aren't really about combat (aka "Not Bloodborne"). Probably the closest I can think of in tone is a PS4 & PC game I recently played called Song of Horror, which is a puzzle-centric horror game with an unkillable dark presence that randomly comes after you as you try and break a curse. The game is genuinely unnerving you explore, solve puzzles, and deal with the Presence as it stalks you. I should get back to that game at some point.

You could be right. It looked like they had a lot done. SuperMassive games seems to have picked up the torch of what Shadows of the Eternals was going for as far as episodic content. The only drawback is Eternal Darkness had better gameplay. I enjoy the choose your own adventure stuff that the Supermassive game series' have but you know... I like chopping up zombies with a sword limb by limb. If I could have both that would be nice. I was interested in House of Ashes because it had a similar concept to Michael's story in Eternal Darkness, but I got taken out of the game by the lack of realism or understanding of military ****. I just got the Quarry, I haven't played through it yet, but the prologue was pretty good. It felt back to good form.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 10:26:39 AM »
On a side note, I was hesitant to mention this game in this context since it's more of a Silent Hill successor, but if you like Survival Horror games, I highly recommend Tormented Souls. It looks fantastic, it has the same dynamic camera system Eternal Darkness has, and its puzzles are outstanding.

Plus, I haven't played that version, but it is on Switch if you are so inclined and it's usually pretty cheap digitally.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 10:36:41 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 01:08:43 PM »
Does anyone else still have some of the spells embedded in their memory?

Tier pargon pargon Aretak pargon pargon Ulyaoth!

I remember reading about how the magic system was language based and it sounded SUPER cool. In the end it was functionally flavor in terms of actual gameplay importance, but the concept still felt really cool to me about how I could see how the spells were structured instead of being pure gobbledygook and allowed you to discover some things by pure extrapolation.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 03:01:17 PM »
It was a very fun system. And was neat to see how you escalated power with...the word for power as you progressed. I remember spending lots of time testing and trying different spells and researching actual history for the various periods covered in the game.

Was a game I enjoyed replaying and it really rewarded the fans who stuck through the same save for repeated plays.

In fact that clever "extra ending" was something I wish more games leveraged to some capacity. Fire Emblem 3 Houses is a prime example. You have three houses, and there is some timey-wimey elements at play. So making replays with different houses somehow play off each other and even provide a bonus ending related to that could have been a nice way to tie up the loose ends and give some routes lacking a bit better closure.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 07:40:16 PM »
So I did this in MS-Paint of Karim and Chondra for the Shadows of the Eternal MS-Paint contest in 2012:

Recently Stable Diffusion came out and you can take your old works and pass them through an Image2Image Artificial Intelligence and you can make them go from ms-paint to photographs/oil paintings