Author Topic: The Baffling Launch Plans of New 3DS in America  (Read 8546 times)

Offline alexosborn

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Baffling Launch Plans of New 3DS in America
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »

No standard model and no AC adapter? Why, Nintendo? Why?!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/39470/the-baffling-launch-plans-of-new-3ds-in-america

Just last week, the Nintendo finally confirmed what those of us in North America have been waiting on for quite some time: the New Nintendo 3DS is coming on February 13. Well, actually, that’s not entirely true, as those of us in United States and Canada will only have the option of purchasing the XL model of the handheld. Meanwhile, every other territory is getting both the standard model in addition to the extra-large option.

Why is this happening? I’m sure market research indicates that gamers in North America prefer the larger model, but what about those of us who would like something a bit more portable? Why offer it to those in Europe and Japan and leave the entirety of North America out of the mix? I don’t know whether this decision was made by Nintendo of America or NCL, but either way, I find it incredibly asinine and disappointing.

You see, I still don’t have a 3DS and have held off on purchasing one because I don’t want the XL model. Sure, I could always spring for a 2DS or one of the original launch models, but the build quality and feature set available with those options leave much to be desired. As such, I’ve been holding out for the New 3DS, assuming that Nintendo would give us two size options. Oddly enough, it looks like that’s not going to happen (at least not right now).

So what do I do? Just suck it up and get an XL? Import from Japan or Europe? Hold off in the hopes that Nintendo eventually brings it stateside? I don’t care about the faceplates, but the fact that we’re only getting one size option that lacks the Famicom-inspired buttons is what really grinds my gears. North America always gets the worst and most limited selection when it comes to color options. Is it too much to ask for a white SKU?

And don’t even get me started on the lack of an AC adapter. Yes, I am well aware of the fact that Japan and Europe have had to purchase the cord separately for some time now, but those of us in North America have been conditioned to expect our device to come bundled with a charger. New New 3DS owners won’t already have a cable and those who are upgrading will likely be selling or trading in their old model along with the power cord. Honestly, how much would it cost for Nintendo to include the cord in the box? A nominal price, I’m sure, and one absolutely worth it if it means keeping confusion to a minimum and customers happy.

I understand that my complaints are rather trivial, but when you add them all up, it becomes more of a glaring issue. Those of us in North America are getting the shaft, and Nintendo’s inability to be direct with consumers is incredibly frustrating. Will we ever be seeing the standard New 3DS? Please Nintendo, tell us now so I and many others aren’t stuck waiting in the wings.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Re: The Baffling Launch Plans of New 3DS in America
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »
This is just Nintendo trying to see just how much bullshit they can pull before even their hardest-core fanbase decides it's finally had enough

Offline Rodrigue

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:44 PM »
Yes, I am well aware of the fact that Japan and Europe have had to purchase the cord separately for some time now, but those of us in North America have been conditioned to expect our device to come bundled with a charger.
What a stupid statement.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
The very fact that it still has the "XL" in its name is a pretty strong indicator that the standard model is still planned. If I had to guess, I'd say NoA is testing the local reaction to the lack of AC adapter with the XL model to determine whether or not to include it in the standard package.

Offline Osiris11235

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:12:04 PM »
How is pointing out bad customer service a stupid statement?  Japan and Europe are "getting the shaft" too.  They've just been getting it for longer.

Offline Boonlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
The thing I don't get is why Nintendo thought this was a good idea? Why would they look at the sales of the new 3ds in Japan and rethink their sales here? I mean just that it did bad in Japan doesn't mean it will do bad in America. I think that the reason it did bad is just because Japanese gamers most the time don't care about customization. How do I know? Look at Pokemon X and Y. The reason why player customization was available in those games were for 2 reasons 1. It with topic of beauty in he game. and 2. Most American gamers wanted to customize their character. The only reason why it did bad in Japan is just Japanese gamers don't really care about customization.
                                         I just wished Nintendo would see that. :-\

Offline Boonlay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »
Sorry for my bad grammar.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »
The thing I find really puzzling about not including an AC adapter is their decision to include an SD card.  This seems backwards to me, almost no one has extra AC adapters laying around but I'm sure there are plenty of people who either upgraded the smaller card that came with the original 3DS and have no use for a 4gb card, or have an extra card laying around from an old phone or camera or something.  I guess you don't want to prevent people from being able to spend money on the eShop after buying the system (not that that's stopped Nintendo in the past...) but it seems more logical to me to not include an SD card and to include the charger instead.

And Nintendo needs to get with the program of using standardized charging.  In our house the phones, tablet, Fitbit, bluetooth speaker, etc. all use micro USB.  If Nintendo would just do the same, no one would care if a charger was included or not.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:10:57 PM »
Nintendo gave you an SD card so you don't have to put a screwdriver (#0, remember!) through your system the moment you open it up for the first time.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 01:29:44 AM »
This a/c adapter debate needs to be put to rest right now. It's very simple. Not including one is unacceptable. Period. Nothing is sold in the US that plugs into a wall or is recharged by plugging into a wall without the power cord that makes that happen. When you buy a new TV you don't use the old one you already have. When you buy a new Xbox you don't use the old one you already have. iPods, cell phones, clock radio, doesn't matter. The only thing I could think of was something that uses disposable batteries, and that's the obvious exception.

They can get away with it in England cause for awhile devices were sold with just a wire on them and people had to know how to wire a plug onto the devices the bought at stores. Now they have new laws that mean devices have to be sold with plugs already attached. So there's a little bit difference in culture and attitude. In the end it's still unacceptable for American consumers.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 01:36:22 AM »
Actually, a lot of low-end MP3 players, bluetooth speakers, bluetooth headphones and items along those lines are shipping without a charging cable.  Of course, they all use the standard micro USB...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 07:34:07 AM »
I don't know why suddenly people like the baby size screens. I went to XL and never went back, your eyes adjust to the bigger pixels and you see the small one as a baby size and its impossible to go back. JOIN US! XL is for ADULTS

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:43:26 AM »
The term "pick your battles" applies here
Yea, i get that most items like phones and such come with cords, but of all the things to get worked up about.
If your giving someone your old 3ds/dsi whatever, they can buy a cord for like $10-15 U.S. dollars.
 I'm not seeing the big deal, i have 4 cords and don't care about this.

The XL only, well nintendo probably looked at sells, and said, when the XL comes out, it out sells the smaller one.
They have U.S. sells data, its not just Japan, EVEN APPLE is getting in on the bigger devices.
Don't like it, sleep with your small 3DS and its cord under your pillow. NOW CAN WE MOVE ON!

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
The part of this article I find the most troubling is this one:

"You see, I still don’t have a 3DS"
[/size][/color]
[/size]Dude you work for a website that covers everything Nintendo and you don't own their 4 year old hand held console??? Really?[/color]

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »
The part of this article I find the most troubling is this one:

"You see, I still don’t have a 3DS"

Dude you work for a website that covers everything Nintendo and you don't own their 4 year old hand held console??? Really?

Wow I'm not sure what happened with my comment. Here's the statement from the article I have a huge problem with:

"You see, I still don't have a 3DS"

Dude you write for a website that covers all things Nintendo and you don't have their 4 year old console that's dominating the handheld console market??? That's a problem to me.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
almost no one has extra AC adapters laying around but I'm sure there are plenty of people who either upgraded the smaller card that came with the original 3DS and have no use for a 4gb card
You're overlooking who early buyers of new hardware typically are. Those most like to buy the New 3DS XL right away are also those who upgrade to new models regularly and very likely WILL have extra ones lying around. As I've pointed out before, since they're keeping the "XL" in the name, they're almost certainly intend to release the standard model too later on. Since the XL is both pricier and the clear choice among core fans willing to more money on extra frills, the standard model will naturally appeal more for the casual crowd. That being said they'll want to keep the standard model cheap as possible which will be difficult to do if they have to include AC adapters (which the casual crowd is far less likely to have). This delay is probably to help them to see the public's reaction to the lack of AC adapters for the XL model first so they can better decide whether it's worth including or not. The only truly baffling move here is why Nintendo isn't simply including USB chargers instead, as that would easily solve this issue.

Offline buttle

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
I'm planning to skip this one.  I'm hoping and kind of assuming that they won't put any games out that I won't be able to play elsewhere, even if I have to wait for the next console.  Right now, this puppy is just a hot mess.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »
I have a launch unit so its time to upgrade.  Not found of going up to the XL Size, pockets and the like, but, I'm not going to overly complain about it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
if I ever get a 3DS or New 3DS the XL is the only size I would go for anyways. Not having a charger will probably make me either boycott altogether or just get a regular 3DS XL whenever I get around to it.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »
I'm going to get it. I was going to get an XL unit anyways so I don't care about not having the smaller sized unit. As for charging it, I'll just use the 3DS charging cord I already have from my launch 3DS and somehow find a way to live despite this great handicap to my life of having a single charging cord. Jeepers.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »
For anyone who can wait, Best Buy and Target have $30 off sales every few months. Buy a New 3DS XL at that price and the charger, and you still save $20. That's not such a bad deal.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 06:54:06 PM »
I'm sure the regular New 3DS will come at some point. It's probably more about retailers not wanting to stock all these models and colours so Nintendo have to wait until they clear out old stock.

Offline TheBigK

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
I've been desperate to upgrade for a while now. My 3DS XL broke last year and money was tight, so I sprung for a 2DS, knowing that I would upgrade at some point. As soon as New 3DS XL was announced in Japan, I decided that was the model to spring for so I waited. I was actually planning on getting the standard model as I've grown re-accustomed to the smaller screens, miss the portability of the original 3DS, and love the interchangeable faceplate idea. As such, I'm pretty bummed about not getting the standard model. But I really don't want to have to wait any longer to upgrade. The 2DS was a nice holdover, but I'm ready to upgrade. I'm super excited about the faster loading times! The lack of AC adapter isn't an issue for me because I have two of them laying around but I can certainly see how some people would be upset over it.
Nintendo Network ID: TheBigK

Add me!

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »
Every portable stereo since the dawn of time has used basically the same A/C adapter and yet they keep including new ones no matter what. Literally every single one is damn near universal and I have never bought one that didn't come with a brand new one, even if I have a drawer full of them, which I do. That is not the point the point is no electronic device of this scale has ever been sold that did not come with one, the only exception being those that also used batteries in which case no batteries were not always included so that would be the closest precedent but its still not the exact same.
Trying to be a better person, honest.