Author Topic: RetroActive #29: F-Zero X/GX (Live) Official Discussion  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #29: F-Zero X/GX (Live) Official Discussion
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:02 PM »
Hi everyone! While we are still scheduling the live event for this special, telethon-backed RetroActive feature, I thought it would be good to provide a central location for people to discuss the games in advance. We won't quote any posts from this on the live show (since you'll just be able to call in), but the discussions usually take on a life here at the forums that I wouldn't want to deny these weird and wonderful racing games.

The Live RetroActive event will take place Saturday, Jan. 25 right here on NWR! Bookmark the RFN Live page now, come back Saturday 2pm EST for sweet F-Zero action!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/36405
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:36:46 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #29: F-Zero X/GX (Live) Official Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:08:51 PM »
F-Zero GX is the best racing game I've ever played. I loved unlocking the AX tracks. I would recommend watching some speedruns of GX. There are some amazing players out there.

Offline buttle

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Well, it took some doing.  I bought the game on ebay.  I re-set up my Wii, found my gamecube memory card and controller, unplugged the dvd player from the TV since it used the same input. 

I only had time enough to play the 1st grand prix but I loved it.  Those tracks are a lot of fun.  It's crazy to have loops and crazy turns and then a 90 degree or 180 degree turn.  I asssume they'll just get crazier.  And I really liked the idea of using my health for nitros, it makes the end of the race very interesting.

I haven't played the 64 one, I'm not sure if I'll have time to before the podcast but I'm definitely curious about that one now as well.  For some reason I only played the SNES one and though I liked I never got the other two.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
If you're going to talk F-Zero GX, you should talk about the hidden F-Zero AX that's completely inside.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/f_zero_ax_found_hidden_in_gamecube_f_zero_gx
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:32 AM »
My GX disc is scratched and only works half of the time D:
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
My only access to this game was my friend's copy which got mauled by his dog. I do have F-Zero X I can talk about, but I do have GX memories I can share between watching one of my favorite Let's plays of it and my own memories of the game.

Honestly, F-Zero as a whole is a tad bit too fast for my liking, although I still really like the games for their cheesy cyberpunk aesthetic, hard rock and electronica scores, and very... bizarre tie-ins with the Star Fox games. [such as Octoman being in Star Fox: Command, that same game having an ending where Falco Lombardi becomes a G-Zero Grand Prix pilot, and The whole... James McCloud thing.

I also remember with GX im particular that while Vehicle Customization was fun, I would get controller tossing infuriated with the story mode where suddenly you'd have a bomb strapped to your car and if you hit the walls you instantly died.  I also remember my friend always picking courses I could barely complete a lap on without falling off. of course, my friend was also a hyper aggressive prick and was a master of the spin attack.

F-Zeor X I picked up on the virtual console a while ago and played it some on and off. I think I really enjoy the 60 frames per second, even if the game looks super basic. with a game that fast, you REALLY need the smoothness there to make it not another exercise in frustration. I've been playing a lot of death race for preparation for retro-active, because I want to understand how the hell my friend got so good where every time I'd dare try to pass him unless it was in a situation where the track was split off into segments  that he would spin attack me EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL.

Offline Weetrick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:18:28 PM »
Did anybody watch AGDQ (Awesome Games Done Quick) last week? It's an annual week long speedrunning marathon for charity. 

A player by the name of CGN0 did an absolutely mindblowing speedrun of F-Zero GX's story mode on very hard mode. My feeble mind can't even begin to comprehend what he is doing with his hands. He must be a cyborg.

You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
I keep saying I"ll go back to this but I'm worried it will crash my Wii like it did my Cube.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
F-Zero X is an interesting case of gameplay over graphics to it's greatest extreme from what I've played of it.

Offline Weetrick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »

F-Zero X - "Alright, First Place!"
NOTE: I played this on a Wii with a GameCube controller

I used to love this game back in the day. I never owned a copy, but I would play at a friend's house and I'm pretty sure I rented it about 3 times. Here are some of my thoughts:

The Difficulty:
This game is difficult! The controls take a while to master, especially when combined with vehicle selection and tuning. I started doing a little better when I discovered that favoring max speed over acceleration helps a lot. Even so, I failed Expert Jack Cup one too many times and got anxious to start GX. I gave up and used the code to unlock the bonus tracks, just so I could play them before moving on. No surprises - Joker Cup is super hard and X Cup is just insane. I'm assuming most people never saw the bonus tracks because you have to beat the other 3 cups on expert mode, which isn't easy!

Track Design:
As a lifelong roller coaster geek, I've always loved F-Zero's track designs. Many of them revolve around a single signature element (or "whoa!" moment) like a giant loop, jump or half pipe. I remember being blown away by the tracks that have you racing inside or outside a tube! Revisiting the game, I'm still impressed by a lot of the tracks.

Framerate vs Graphics:
I'm impressed that the N64 can handle such a fast, smooth framerate even with 30 racers on screen. It still plays great to this day. The graphics aren't so hot though. The vehicles look plain and the backgrounds are almost nonexistent. They did the right thing by focusing on framerate and gameplay, but the graphics were hurt badly because of it.

Vehicle/Character Design:
I love the over-the-top vehicle and character design. I mean, come on - the cast includes a space monkey, a space T-Rex, a space octopus, an old man, and James McCloud! Awesome.

The Character Portraits:
Sweet Baby Jesus, the character portraits are awful! (I'm talking about the smaller face portraits, not the full character drawings) They have about 15 pixels and are unrecognizable without squinting.

The Music:
I remember this game having a metal soundtrack but damn, it is so metal. Some songs even have double bass pedals and harsh vocals! Cheesy as hell, but songs like Mute City and Big Blue are Nintendo classics.

Overall, I had a great time replaying F-Zero X. It holds up surprisingly well for an N64 game. I was worried that my nostalgia would end up letting me down, but it didn't!

I'll return with my GX impressions once that game beats me down...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »
The Live RetroActive event will take place Saturday, Jan. 25 right here on NWR! Event page with specific time, audio stream, chat room, and all other details coming soon. Time is TBD but will be early/mid-afternoon for U.S. listeners, and late evening for most of Europe.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline richardmason

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 06:52:12 AM »
When it comes to heart-pounding, adrenaline-fueled racing games, F-Zero GX stands head and shoulders above the competition. As an avid racing enthusiast, I can confidently say that this futuristic masterpiece has set the standard for high-speed gaming and remains an enduring favorite for racing game aficionados worldwide.