Poll

Which of these Game Boy games is worth a purchase?

Adventure Island
0 (0%)
Alleyway
0 (0%)
Baseball
0 (0%)
Avenging Spirit
2 (4.1%)
Double Dragon
0 (0%)
Bionic Commando
1 (2%)
Fortified Zone
0 (0%)
Donkey Kong Land
2 (4.1%)
Golf
0 (0%)
Donkey Kong Land 2
1 (2%)
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
2 (4.1%)
Kirby's Block Ball
1 (2%)
All These Games Suck
0 (0%)
Gotta Play 'em All!
0 (0%)
BurgerTime Deluxe
2 (4.1%)
Donkey Kong '94
8 (16.3%)
Donkey Kong Land 3
1 (2%)
Kirby's Star Stacker
1 (2%)
Catrap
2 (4.1%)
Gargoyle's Quest
4 (8.2%)
Castlevania: The Adventure
1 (2%)
Dr. Mario
2 (4.1%)
Kirby's Pinball Land
3 (6.1%)
Game & Watch Gallery
2 (4.1%)
Kirby's Dream Land 2
7 (14.3%)
Balloon Kid
3 (6.1%)
Kirby's Dream Land
4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 11, 2020, 06:55:19 PM

Author Topic: Best of the 3DS eShop: Virtual Console. Game Boy - Part 1.  (Read 12229 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the 3DS eShop: Virtual Console. Game Boy - Part 1.
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 01:40:39 PM »
Coincidentally, I had actually played Mario vs. Donkey Kong before I had played (or even heard of) the Game Boy Donkey Kong game. It was after the DS had launched and I got the game for a discount when the GBA was still relatively current. Since I had no frame of reference then I thought the game was okay and had some fun with it... or at least certain parts. I remember thinking the game was difficult for the wrong reasons, such as its strange controls and wonky movement. The graphics are kind of ugly as well. I didn't bother with 100% though since trying to perfect most levels was very unfun.

When the Game Boy Donkey Kong was announced for the 3DS VC is when I had finally heard about the game and people were once again talking about it. I was initially skeptical about its praise from how utterly mediocre is Mario vs Donkey Kong, but then everyone seemed to say it was far superior when comparing the two. However, since I saw it had Super Game Boy features then that's one reason I tracked down a cartridge as opposed to downloading it, it's always fun to bring out that accessory. I'm glad I did because it's leagues better than MvDK, largely because it surprisingly controls better and the level design is much less annoying.

On a side note, what a bizarre subseries the MvDK games turned out to be. I've got to wonder what they were thinking with some of those...

Something to note about Castlevania The Adventure is that it has a remake on WiiWare, however  I don't think it can be legally obtained any more and was never released anywhere else. That said, the original GB version is included in the Castlevania Anniversary Collection, if you have any interest in that.

Gallery 3 had unlockables giving a point to trying to best one's score and sometimes those unlockables were another Game and Watch game that wasn't featured as one of the main title games along with other factoids and hints.
The first Game and Watch Gallery still has the gallery section (it's in the name after all) which unlocks info about other Game and Watch games from reaching certain scores in all versions of all games, but it doesn't have any more games to unlock. If you just want to have one Game and Watch game, number 4 on GBA has the most playable games with 20.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 04:34:21 PM »
Wow, it looks like I was the only one to vote for Kirby Star Stacker.  Of course I shouldn't be surprised since I only played the game for the first time at the very end of 2017 and I got the game as a free download from the old Club Nintendo years earlier.  So I can't blame people for not noticing since I didn't even pay attention to it until one day I only had a little bit of free time to play games and I thought, well this puzzle game might give me some enjoyment for 20 minutes since I didn't want to get too invested in something.

Well needless to say, after my 20 minutes were up, I was hooked and wanted to play more.  I then spent the next few weeks addicted too it until I 100% the whole game.  Seriously, as someone who isn't a huge fan of the puzzle stacking genre, something about this game really grabbed me.  I think part of it is how engaging the gameplay is.  Unlike a lot of these puzzle game where you have to keep matching certain blocks on top of each other, Star Stacker works by having Animal Friend blocks and Star blocks.  To clear blocks you need the same Animal Friend blocks to match, but the thing is, they don't have to be touching each other.  If there's an entire row of Star blocks, but one Rick at the top and one Rick at the bottom with all Star blocks in between, that entire row will then be cleared.  The same thing for left and right.  To me this makes the game a lot more engaging then other puzzles games I've played because you really have to pay attention to the entire layout of the screen since even if the entire screen is almost filled up, you can still stage some pretty crazy comebacks.

So I heavily recommend this game for everyone to play.  I ignored it for too long but I shouldn't have because it's a top notch puzzle game, which made someone like me who isn't normally a huge fan of the genre a believer.

.... Very surprised that no one has had anything to say about Kid Icarus though.

I played the original. It's another case of staying pretty true to the NES original in a slightly smaller version. If you are using the 3DS then you'd be better off just getting the Kid Icarus 3D Classics game off the eShop.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GameBoy version of Kid Icarus... but there is also nothing that I recall that would make you choose it over the 3D Classics release.

It's a sequel to the original game, the level design and bosses are all completely different in the Gameboy game then the NES original.  I agree that people should play the NES game, but if they enjoy it, then they should 100% play Of Myth and Monsters because it's literally Kid Icarus 2. 

Actually, I would argue that even if someone doesn't enjoy the NES original, they might still like Of Myth and Monsters since the Gameboy game removes a lot of the cheap BS found in the NES original and has more fair level design.  Technically it might be the better choice for first time players to experience classic Kid Icarus since it's no where close to being as brutal from the start as the NES game is.  This way they'll be more experienced with the gameplay and might be willing to play the NES game for more then 10 minutes, since the original is very unfriendly to first time players.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »
Re: Kid Icarus, you might have a point. The GameBoy game is much easier. I played enough of the NES version that the difficulty and design didn't bother me... but for someone coming in without a bunch of retro gaming experience, that might be a tough sell.

I'd still recommend the 3D Classics version first, but background and experience plays a big part in it of course.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 01:14:39 PM »
Good to know about Star Stacker. That makes me more excited about that purchase and trying it out. Thanks Luigi Dude.

As for Kid Icarus, I'm less certain about that one. Really not a fan of NES games so I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it even in the 3D Classic form. So, I'd be more inclined to try the GB title first but, considering how I didn't care for some of these earlier GB games, I'm not sure I'd find it that fun.

Right now, the runaway winners in the poll seem are Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Donkey Kong '94. Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Pinball Land are in tie for third with 3 votes each. Why do people want a Game Boy Classic when there seems to be this apathy to such a large amount of Game Boy games?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 02:18:31 PM »
Why do people want a Game Boy Classic when there seems to be this apathy to such a large amount of Game Boy games?

I don't know if people actually want a Game Boy Classic, but if they do, I would assume that their appeal likely doesn't stem from Nintendo-published games alone.
There's like a thousand GB games out there, and since a large portion of the userbase will have been children, I expect a lot of Game Boy nostalgia might be rooted in (occasionally terrible) licensed games.

In fact not even every Nintendo game made it to 3DS vc. Where's my dang Wave Race 1992 port! They can't seriously expect me to keep playing my perfectly functioning cart on my perfectly functioning Game Boy can they?!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
Also, the people who want a Game Boy Classic are probably not the same people showing apathy.

My fave Game Boy game (Final Fantasy Adventure) isn't on the 3DS VC so maybe there are more cases like that. Though FFA just came out in that Mana collection so it probably wouldn't be featured in a theoretical Game Boy Classic.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »
I want a Gameboy Classic because I apparently enjoy buying nostalgia machines I play once then immediately put in storage.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »
I want a Gameboy Classic because I apparently enjoy buying nostalgia machines I play once then immediately put in storage.

Do you buy the nice cases too?  I always need a nice case before putting my novelty mini consoles out of sight and mind. My Genesis Mini just shipped apparently. Not being able to find and custom cases yet is killing me.

(For the record, we do really enjoy them when we get them out - it's the kind of thing we'll play intensely for a few days then put away when we are too busy only to "rediscover" how much we like them a few months later.)

I'm not sure that I care about a Game Boy Classic. There are a handful of really excellent games for the system though, and a bunch of good games that are often overlooked or forgotten... so I can understand why some might be interested!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »
Do you buy the nice cases too?
Yes. The officially licensed ones too.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2019, 11:54:23 PM »
A Gameboy Classic would be amazing if Nintendo really goes all out.  I'm talking a combination of Gameboy and Gameboy Color titles, maybe even include Super Gameboy options for the games that had it like DK 94.  Plus since the NES-mini had 30 games, then the Super NES had 21 games because they were generally bigger experiences, they should do at least 40 for the Gameboy to make up for the fact a lot of the early games were smaller ones.

I'd imagine they'd probably price it similar to the NES Classic as well so a $60 price tag would be a pretty good deal for what I described as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
I guess I'm not ready to stop talking about the Game Boy Virtual Console yet. It's time to add Nintendo Power's recommendations to these threads also.

In Nintendo Power's last magazine when they did a list of the 285 best Nintendo games, there are six Original Game Boy titles to make that list and they are:

Super Mario Land 2 at 261
Mega Man V at 234
Pokemon Red / Blue at 204
Donkey Kong '94 at 100
Mario's Picross at 94
Tetris at 53

Man, I'm really wishing now that I'd have grabbed a copy of Tetris when it was available on the eShop. So, those are the best of the best for the Game Boy according to NP. Kind of surprised to see Mega Man V make the list out of all the Game Boy games available. Also not sure why Pokemon Red and Blue were given a place over FireRed and LeafGreen when SoulSilver and HeartGold were listed in place of the original. I'm guessing it's more for their historical impact and being the first Pokemon games but it's not going to change my mind to skip and just stick with FireRed and LeafGreen for playing those games.

That said, Nintendo Power did make recommendations for Game Boy games released on the Virtual Console before it ended for about the first year of releases for the 3DS eShop. Nintendo Power had three levels for grading these games: Green Light - Recommended, Orange Light - Hmmm..., and Red Light - Grumble Grumble.

So, let's get to the game applicable to this side of the list:

Recommended

Avenging Spirit
Balloon Kid
Bionic Commando
BurgerTime Deluxe
Catrap
Donkey Kong '94 (Even had a Staff Pick recommendation)
Dr. Mario
Game & Watch Gallery
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Pinball Land

Hmmm...

Adventure Island
Alleyway
Baseball
Double Dragon
Fortified Zone
Golf

Grumble Grumble

(Nothing)

Not Listed (Post Nintendo Power)

Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kirby's Star Stacker

So, probably not too surprising to see those results. Most likely, all the Donkey Kong Land and remaining Kirby games would have been given a recommended rating. Just not sure where Castlevania might fall. When going through the Recommended games, pretty much all the games there seemed to get some recommendations from other people in this thread already.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
Why would you have wanted the Game Boy Tetris? There's noting unique about it.

My guess is that the Castlevania game would have been placed in the "Hmmm..." category. The first Donkey Kong Land may have as well since it's pretty rough. The rest would probably be recommended.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2019, 04:23:38 PM »
The first Donkey Kong Land was the Game Boy game of the year in the Power Awards back in like 94 or 95. Actually each Donkey Kong Land game won the game of the year in their release to give the series three consecutive wins. Sure, times have changed but it's pretty unusual that NP wouldn't recommend a Nintendo game. Metroid II got the recommended label. Which reminds me that I should complete this bit of trivia for the Part 2 thread. Plus, as I've stated, I really liked DKL and that is the game which has got me suddenly more interested in the GB VC again. It's started a chain of Game Boy games I've enjoyed playing and got me thinking of giving some another shake like SML2. So, I have no problem recommending it.

As for Tetris Game Boy, I admit that it would probably more be a novelty but I've never played the Game Boy's original killer app before and now I'd like to try it. Especially since I've gotten into Tetris 99 a bit. I'd like to see the difference. With it being listed as the top Game Boy game in that 285 Best Games on Nintendo consoles list and just outside the Top 50 along with my sudden Game Boy interest, my interest and curiosity to play the Game Boy version of Tetris is at an all-time high! And now I can't get it from the eShop.  :'(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
I guess that's just further proof that Nintendo Power were heavily biased, as if any proof were needed. It's no surprise they didn't last! ;)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »
Tetris was iconic for its time, but Tetris Attack Blast is where it's at if you're looking for old Tetris games.

Edit: I definitely meant Tetris Blast.  :-[
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:34:46 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 08:55:43 PM »
While I could I slowly go through each title and try to track down reviews, I'd rather get the opinions of the NWR Forum users whose gaming tastes I trust a bit more.

So much for that idea. I've now spent a lot more effort looking into these games then originally planned. However, I don't consider that a bad thing. In the end, these threads did fire me up about the Game Boy and made me a lot interested in the library then I was when I originally made these threads and I think it helps to have some kind of motivation at approaching a game. Despite telling myself I should play Chrono Trigger, I just have had no motivation to do so and keep selecting other games to play ahead of for various other reasons. Same thing probably would have happened with digging more into the GB line-up if I had not seen others comments and got more info on these titles. Now I'm eager to play through a whole bunch of GB games before Chrono Trigger so thanks NWR!  ;)

One thing that I pursued after discussing these games was to check out the brief trailers that was provided for them on their eShop page. At this point, here's where my mind is at in regards to the first half of Game Boy VC releases:

Plan To Buy or Have Bought

Adventure Island
Alleyway
Balloon Kid
Bionic Commando
Catrap
Donkey Kong '94
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Fortified Zone
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby's Star Stacker

Still Debating

Avenging Spirit
BurgerTime Deluxe
Dr. Mario
Game & Watch Gallery
Gargoyle's Quest

Pass

Baseball
Double Dragon
Golf

That's over half the games listed in this section. Why'd you do this to me NWR?! But it also means that perhaps in the future, I'll be bumping up this thread to talk more Game Boy games also. It might be that you too have some games you are now considering trying out that you missed or are curious to test out what a couple titles that really had no discussion may be like and are now motivated to get back to the GB VC also. We could be talking GB for many more years yet.  :o  :-X

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
Tetris was iconic for its time, but Tetris Attack is where it's at if you're looking for old Tetris games.
That isn't a Tetris game though, it's a re-skinned Panel de Pon / Puzzle League!

It might be that you too have some games you are now considering trying out that you missed or are curious to test out what a couple titles that really had no discussion may be like and are now motivated to get back to the GB VC also.
Afraid not mate, the Game Boy just ain't for me.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
Tetris was iconic for its time, but Tetris Attack is where it's at if you're looking for old Tetris games.
That isn't a Tetris game though, it's a re-skinned Panel de Pon / Puzzle League!

I meant Tetris Blast! That game was so fun.  It was Tetris but with exploding blocks and enemies!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »
Why am I so obsessed with these threads? I'm not sure but I'm starting to feel like this is some of my best work on these forums so far. Perhaps that's why. This is beginning to seem like it could be a handy resource for the future as I gather more info and recommendations for these games together in one place. Happened upon an old NWR article on 3DS Virtual Console which got me checking out what NWR's opinions were on these games. I'm surprised Insanolord didn't comment more in this thread before given some of his burning takes like his short review on Baseball.

Of the 25 games this thread covers, here is the list of them with the corresponding NWR grade and a link to the article for that mini review. (Some of these articles covered multiple games so you may have to scroll to find the actual title for the link you click on.)

Adventure Island – Recommended For Fans
Alleyway – Not Recommended
Avenging Spirit – Recommended For Fans
Balloon Kid – N/A
Baseball – Not Recommended
Bionic Commando – Recommended For Fans
BurgerTime Deluxe – N/A
Castlevania: The Adventure – Recommended For Fans
Catrap – N/A
Donkey Kong ’94 – Recommended For Everyone
Donkey Kong Land – 8.5/10
Donkey Kong Land II – 7.5/10
Donkey Kong Land III – 7.0/10
Double Dragon – N/A
Dr. Mario – N/A
Fortified Zone – Recommended For Fans
Game And Watch Gallery – Recommended For Everyone
Gargoyle’s Quest – Recommended For Everyone
Golf – N/A
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters – Recommended For Everyone
Kirby’s Block Ball – N/A
Kirby’s Dream Land – RecommendedFor Fans
Kirby’s Dream Land 2 – 4.5/10
Kirby’s Pinball Land – Recommended For Fans
Kirby’s Star Stacker – 7.0/10

A few other points to mention. After 2012, NWR seems to have ended their old recommendation format and instead began grading games individually on their regular review scale. Hence why some games have a review score point total and some have the recommendation listing. As well, NWR did not get around to reviewing every game released on the 3DS VC. So, if you want to be an NWR Contributer, here's your chance to by making a review for those titles and filling in those blanks for NWR's eternal records and reference.  ;) I do think there are a couple notable omissions like Balloon Kid, CATRAP, Dr. Mario and even Kirby's Block Ball. The common theme for most games is Recommended for Fans most likely due to the aging of these games.

When compared to Nintendo Power which did 19 reviews for the 25 games listed, NWR did reviews for 18 of them so one short. However, NWR did review the 6 games that NP was never able to get to when they shut down while NP reviewed the 7 games that NWR did not when these were first getting released so together they help can fill in the blanks for each other. NP had 13 games that got their top recommendation and 6 with their middle recommendation while none got the worst recommendation. With NWR, it's a bit more difficult to break due to the switch in game grades and how people view scores on the 10 point scale. Is everything 7.5 and higher a great recommendation whereas 7.4 - 5.0 is middle and everything below 5.0 is not recommended or should that 10 point scale break down in a different way? For myself, that is how I'm going to view it to make this quick comparison which means that NWR had 6 games with their top recommendation, 9 games with their middle recommendation and 3 games getting their lost recommendation. Those three games? Alleyway, Baseball and..... Kirby's Dream Land 2?!?! That's right. The game with the second most votes in the poll (just 1 behind Donkey Kong '94) was considered crap by the reviewer NWR used. So, for those looking for ammo to dismiss the reviews done by this site, there's a bit more fuel for you misplaced anger.  ;) ;D

Of the games both NP and NWR gave their best recommendations, only 3 games crossover on both of those lists at the top and they are: Donkey Kong '94, Game And Watch Gallery, and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. However, a large number of NP's highest rated games are the ones that NWR did not cover so who knows how much more crossover between the two could have happened? Perhaps Balloon Kid or CATRAP could have been part of that select few.  :o

And, in addition to the little blurbs, sometimes there are further comments in the TalkBack threads on these games so even more feedback can sometimes be found on these titles.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2019, 01:30:21 AM »

It might be that you too have some games you are now considering trying out that you missed or are curious to test out what a couple titles that really had no discussion may be like and are now motivated to get back to the GB VC also.
Afraid not mate, the Game Boy just ain't for me.
It is a shame there wasn't a Game Girl back then. :P
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.