Author Topic: Pokémon Black and White Sequels Announced  (Read 15456 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Pokémon Black and White Sequels Announced
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »

The DS will receive not one, but two sequels in Japan later this year.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29394

Two sequels to Pokémon Black and White have been revealed, titled Pocket Monsters Black 2 and Pocket Monsters White 2, as revealed on the latest episode of Pokémon Smash.

The announcement was made in the last few minutes of the show as Pokémon director Junichi Masuda appeared on the show to reveal two new forms of Kyurem (appearing to be fusions of Kyurem and the two mascot Pokémon, Reshiram and Zekrom), and the titles of the two games. The games will appear on the Nintendo DS and are set for a June release in Japan. The games are also noted to be playable "in 2D on the Nintendo 3DS," though the extent of any extra features remains unknown.

Masuda also revealed the official website for the titles on Twitter soon after the episode. On the North American website, the game has also been revealed as "coming soon." The localized versions will be called "Pokémon White Version 2" and "Pokémon Black Version 2."

Masuda later revealed that the two forms are in fact new legendary Pokémon, and the developer tweeted (in English) that their names are Black Kyurem and White Kyurem.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon Black and White Sequels Announced
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »
I never did make it too far in White. I guess I'll just hold off at this point, and put the effort into White 2 instead. So long as I can eventually import all of my SoulSilver critters over.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NinJha01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
Well, I guess its better than Pokemon Grey...
Still, why on the DS? why not 3DS?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »
The fact that it's not a 3DS release means I have pretty much zero interest in this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
The fact that it's not a 3DS release means I have pretty much zero interest in this.
Seconded.
Even if it becomes a 3DS release if its in 2D only I have to say how could you mess something like that up on a game where 3D should be super simple.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Be reasonable! To completely revamp this for the 3DS would require every part of the graphics to be overhauled (considering the first one had no consideration for the 3DS screen), and entire new features would have to be added before any of the bonus stuff can even think to exist. If it can go fullscreen on the 3DS, I won't need to break my DSi out, which would be great. One other thing: if it releases in June rather than Septemberish (as usual), methinks this game might come out here before 2013. Especially since it has already been announced for stateside.

I smell news at E3!

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Awesome.  I still don't have a 3DS and don't plan on picking one up soon.  I've been meaning to try out a Pokemon game for a long time but never have, almost bit on either Black or White when they were on sale but never did.  Going to have to finally bite on this one.

It is kind of sad, however, that the DS seems to be getting about as much support well after 3DS release as the Wii is well before WiiU release.  At least NOA got smart and realized that Xenoblade and The Last Story needed to get out here somehow to help fill out the schedule.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
I knew this would be for DS, Gen 6 will be 3DS.

The real question will this actually just be a Gray, or will this be a new adventure set in Unnova or somewhere else? Either way I don't care cause it just means 100% legit access to hidden abilities! I also read it could be out as early as this June! That seems super soon, but it said Internationally released in June. I'm certain that was an absolute mistake. Would be nice though.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »
It's not really that surprising, is it? Just look at the time span between R/S and D/P, or D/P and B/W. The new generation game will be for 3DS, but the continuation/expansion of the current game is on the platform that the originals released on. I'd prefer they not shoehorn the DS games onto 3DS, and instead build wholly original games for the system, which is exactly what they're doing.

Personally, I can't wait to find out more about these games!
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5672-8390

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
I'm very glad that this is on the DS, as a competitive player, means that I can keep my set up for recording and uploading battles ^_^

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5888311/pokemon-black-2-pokemon-white-2-coming-this-summer

Released in Japan in only a few months! Please let this come out quicker than the usual time it takes between Japanese and American versions!

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Red, Blue: 2 years, 7 months
Yellow, Gold, Silver: 1 year, 1 month
Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen: 8 months
Crystal, Diamond, Pearl: 7 months
Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White: 6 months
Ruby, Sapphire: 5 months

For reference to how long previous mainline games took to get to North America after Japan (all came out in North America first after Japan, except Crystal which came out in Australia 1 month before North America and Black/White which came out in Europe 2 days earlier).

I am curious if this is a actual sequel, if it would be considered General VI, or if it's just another expansion but with 2 games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline 1takauchiha

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »
Omgggggg I'm so happy, this is amazing. I can't wait untill it comes out! I really hope to see N again <3

Offline Lady Mushroom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
"The fact that it's not a 3DS release means I have pretty much zero interest in this."
[/size]
[/size]Same here.
The only walking talking mushroom in Real Life.

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »
Updated the article again. The forms are unique Pokemon now.

Offline JRokujuushi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
The games are also noted to be playable "in 2D on the Nintendo 3DS,"

You mean like every other DS game?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »
Updated the article again. The forms are unique Pokemon now.

I see that's what he say's but I honestly don't believe that. If instead of alternate forms they are brand news that would be a first. Wonder if we'd see any other new none legendary pokemon? Sure would like to see a few new evolutions to Primeape and Rapidash...

RomanceDawn

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »
"You mean like every other DS game?"

Yes, but what if the game has 3DS enhancements?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:02:52 PM »
"You mean like every other DS game?"

Yes, but what if the game has 3DS enhancements?

And what if I farted rainbows?

I mean, it'd be cool, but until they say anything, I don't think we can go around thinking that's what makes this game's DS release okay.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
To those saying they won't buy it or have no interest because it's a DS game (even though you can play it on your 3DS), why? Did you play Pokémon Crystal? In North America it came out after the Game Boy Advance launched. I am sure the proper sequels (i.e. not just expanded versions) will be on 3DS.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
3DS enhancements? Gyro control? Um.... other stuff? It's always been a 2D sprite game Even the battles.

Not saying you should be interested, but to not be because of some mysterious, vague, non-existant 3DS only feature seems a little silly to me.

B&W is easily the best since the original, but I'm not interested in a midway sequel. Too soon for me. Hell I haven't even finished Skyward Sword.  :-X
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Here I was thinking that they were going to have to figure out a 3rd way to express the version differences (Black City/White Forest and the two different Opelucid City themes being the two major ones) in a single, unified game. Turns out they won't have to.

Is this going to involve chasing down Ghestis after he got away last time? Will N join you? (Will we find out where the hell A through M went?)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
2D sprite game Even the battles.
There ya go.  It might be petty but its part of the reason I haven't been able to really get into any of the GBA on games.
Mostly because I've played Stadium.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »
To those saying they won't buy it or have no interest because it's a DS game (even though you can play it on your 3DS), why? Did you play Pokémon Crystal? In North America it came out after the Game Boy Advance launched. I am sure the proper sequels (i.e. not just expanded versions) will be on 3DS.

This is the fourth set of Pokemon games on the DS. I already own Diamond, Heart Gold and White, and I don't think I've actually completed any of them, let alone getting anywhere close to a completed Pokedex. 3DS enhancements would be enough for me to get a new one, especially with my tendency toward buying every single 3DS game (30 and counting), but if I'm going to play a DS Pokemon, I'll go with one of the ones I already own.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »
Maybe it's because my general interest towards playing games has dropped, but I never got into Black. I bought it and played it for maybe 2 hours. I didn't hate it (like I did with Ruby), I just lost interest in it. It doesn't helped that I sunk hundreds of hours into Diamond AND Platinum, just to have them stolen.