Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140925 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6975 on: May 27, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »
Do you have any source that those two scenes were made by American studios? Especially since the Ren and Stimpy clip looks exactly like nearly every other scene from the show (which is Korean animated).

On the Ren and Stimpy 1st Season DVD, John Kricfalusci said that the "Sven Hoek" episode (along with a few others from the 1st season) were animated by "Carbunkle Cartoons", an animation unit in LA.

And here is the source of the Family Guy Disney-style scene:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/family-guy-goes-disney.html

Greg Colton says:

09/28/09  2:52pm

Sweet – I knew if Cartoon Brew liked this sequence, I did my job right! For this sequence to work, it could NOT have looked like “TV studio trying to look like a feature” …it had to look real. We were fortunate enough to work with Andrew Egiziano at Mainstreet Productions, who put together an amazing group of talented animators and artists.
Kyle – Darlie and Sandro did in fact animate this sequence, along with some excellent inbetweeners and cleanup artists. *round of applause*
If I remember correctly, Darlie animated everything through the scene with Peter holding Stewie in the air…then another animator (man, I can’t remember his name…) did the Cleveland skunk and Adam West mouse scenes….Sandro did “The bees making honey” scene through the scene where they all scream “NO!” to Herbert (although Darlie animated Herbert at the end of the 3D camera move) ..and then Darlie did the rest after that!
Sandro also did all the final character designs. I roughed out a lot of them myself, Mick Cassidy did Lois & Chris, Sharon Ross did Cleveland …but Sandro took our designs and really made them LEGIT!
I can’t forget to mention Tony Pulham – he designed/painted all of the backgrounds and colored the characters.
Everyone involved in this episode, especially the Disneyverse, went above and beyond…..thank you!

I'm an animation nerd. I used to read about animation all the time.

Most animation done during the old days had bigger budgets than what's seen on TV today. It didn't matter if it was a 7-minute short or a 2-hour long movie. The studios knew that audiences expected good quality when they went to the theater, so the budgets reflected that.

TV networks (Fox, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc,) don't view animation as an art form anymore. They just want to get the shows done as quickly as possible, so the lower budgets reflect this. Efficiency beats quality, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:54:06 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6976 on: May 27, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
LOL, you think the animation then surpasses what we see today? Not overall, maybe some specific cartoons.

Anyways, can we get this topic back on discussion to Nintendo rumors? And not about whether stuff made outside of America is better or worse than American products and why trying to say the cost of shipping a 4,000 pound car is the same as shipping a 10 pound game console.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: May 27, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
LOL, you think the animation then surpasses what we see today? Not overall, maybe some specific cartoons.

Anyways, can we get this topic back on discussion to Nintendo rumors? And not about whether stuff made outside of America is better or worse than American products and why trying to say the cost of shipping a 4,000 pound car is the same as shipping a 10 pound game console.

I was talking about animation. Did you even see the videos I posted? Look at a majority of cartoons done today, then look up any cartoon made during the 1940's. The quality difference is staggering. And it all has to do with the budgets these studios are given.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6978 on: May 27, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
You are right, in general the quality of animation was lower in the 1940s. I did look at the videos you posted. As for budgets, there are high budget animated shows and low budget ones. There are also far more cartoons now then there were back then.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: May 27, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »

I'm moving this to that other thread so we can talk about Nintendo rumors here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:11:49 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: May 27, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
I only glanced at the Cartoon discussion because I'm somewhat passionate about that and I don't want to really get into it with anyone.  I will say this.  Computers.

Comparing animation now to animation pre-'95 when most of it had to be done fully by hand.  I can't state how much that changed the amount of labor and the improvement that made in the overall average quality.  Its really night and day.
As Tendoboy1984 did point with the appropriate budget and time hand drawn animation can look and feel more realistic, but outside of blockbusters you weren't going to see that.  Its like comparing Toy Story to Reboot.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
I only glanced at the Cartoon discussion because I'm somewhat passionate about that and I don't want to really get into it with anyone.  I will say this.  Computers.

Comparing animation now to animation pre-'95 when most of it had to be done fully by hand.  I can't state how much that changed the amount of labor and the improvement that made in the overall average quality.  Its really night and day.
As Tendoboy1984 did point with the appropriate budget and time hand drawn animation can look and feel more realistic, but outside of blockbusters you weren't going to see that.  Its like comparing Toy Story to Reboot.

Agreed, and there all those budding animators who do short stuff on Youtube with Flash. So animation in America can survive as long as we have creative people willing to do their own thing.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: May 27, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
Hannah Barbara cartoons had the best animation ever.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: May 27, 2012, 08:34:13 PM »
Hannah Barbara cartoons had the best animation ever.

Which ones? The TV cartoons from the 1960's or the older theatrical cartoons from the 1940's? There is a huge difference in quality.

Anyways, this is about Nintendo, so we should talk about that.

Any new Wii U rumors?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: May 27, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
Rumors. I thought I came to this thread looking for them.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: May 28, 2012, 02:40:14 AM »

Car companies have factories here because it's cheaper than having 10 million cars shipped from overseas.
Then shouldn't that also apply to video game systems as well? All Nintendo hardware is manufactured in China, and Foxxcon is known for its poor treatment of its workers. Nintendo could build their own factories in Japan, Europe, and America, where they can have unionized workers. And they wouldn't have to worry about overseas shipping costs, since each region would manufacture it's own product.

The reason why no console platform manufactures in the US boils down to cost. If Nintendo were to choose to shift manufacturing of US retail consoles to the US they would first have two choices: vertically integrate and operate their own factory or find a manufacturing partner. A US manufacturer who could crank out the volumes of product required no longer exists here...so Nintendo would be forced into option 1. This requires set up costs for the factory, hiring and training of a labour force, equipment costs and don't forget the ongoing cost to operate the factory.

Then, they must also consider factory output and when to scale back production if retail channels are already full. Do you still have to pay workers even when they are not working? Most likely, terms such as these must be negotiated wight he work force. Unions add another wrinkle...as an organized labour force, they gain a legal right to strike if they disagree with work or compensation conditions. Another body to negotiate with, another layer of overhead as all production considerations must now go them as well and a constant threat of a crippling labour stoppage.

Also, workers in the US would command significantly higher wages as well as adequate health and Retirement benefits  adding to the cost incurred of each hardware unit produced, either resulting in higher prices for us end users at the top end of the chain or a reduction in the company's gross margins which would make shareholders very grumpy. Investment in factories is a long term investment so you'll be on the hook for significant costs for land leasing, equipment and whatnot for years.

Now does the cost of outsourcing production and shipping worldwide from China outweigh these costs and, crucially, RISK? Well of course, no it does not...which is the conclusion Nintendo and it's competitors and all of our greatest tech companies arrived at all those years ago.

There is another question of whether relying on this form of cheap labour is morally in the right...but that is an entirely other discussion and the crux of it really lies with whether or not enough people like you and myself are willing to reject consumption of these cheaper goods on moral grounds.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6986 on: May 28, 2012, 02:45:44 AM »
Rumors. I thought I came to this thread looking for them.
Of the video game type, right? I thought that's what this was, too...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: May 28, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
People have missed the most salient reason consoles are made in China: all electronics supply pipelines are in Asia. At this point labor inputs aren't the deciding factor in offshoring this kind of manufacturing, so much as the infrastructure and raw components being native to the region determine the outcome.

Good lorry, I wish E3 was here. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: May 28, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
E3 is just around the corner. Patience!
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: May 28, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
you're missing a very valuable point Tendobox...

people got paid in America a shitload less than they do now when manufacturing jobs actually existed. The pay went up, the jobs went elsewhere. The only way jobs are going to come back here is if people accept lower pay. However, i dont see pay going down with minimum wage jobs. The chinese bubble is already shifting. In some regions they've managed to institute minimum wages and things like that. So likely jobs will move to africa and other countries until we have robots do everything. Then we'll just sit on all our asses and rely on robot slave labor until they rise up and institute the Matrix and harvest us.

and also someone above was saying Tom and Jerry had bad animation...no no no. Tom and Jerry has some of the best animation ever. However Tom and Jerry made in the 1940s WWII era is different than tv era. Theres a different economic model for TV and shorts. its basically like Pixar Shorts. They are made in part just to show off how good they look.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6990 on: May 28, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
LOL Matrix.

Not sure if BlackNMild posted any of this. But supposedly stuff from the latest Dev Kit for Wii U.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/wii-u-rumors-new-functions-available-in-new-dev-kits?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

-Video Chat is available, but must be from the main menu of the system (not while playing a game).

-Voice Commands are available (similar to this rumor we heard about the 3DS maybe?)

-Facial Recognition (similar to features of the Xbox Kinect)

-Ability to suspend games, similar to 3DS.

-Ability to share achievements with friends by sending videos or screenshots with drawings on them.

-Watch a friend play online

-Multitasking (example: keep a text or video walkthrough open from the site while playing the game, swap back and forth as needed)
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6991 on: May 28, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »
Nintendo already has a bunch of facial recognition patents for DSi/3DS. It will be interesting to see if they can do more with the horsepower of a home console system.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: May 28, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
There has to be a limit to how much you can do with the shitty cameras Nintendo uses.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: May 28, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
Wasn't there a rumor recently that Nintendo upped the camera resolution?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: May 28, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
Not by much, though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: May 28, 2012, 08:39:14 PM »
Well the DSi and 3DS cameras are equivalent to standard definition TV resolution, so maybe they at least upped it to 1080p (or even 720p) level.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: May 28, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »
There has to be a limit to how much you can do with the shitty cameras Nintendo uses.

Nintendo should have contacted whoever it is that does the cameras in the Hubble space telescope and contracted them to do the Wii U cameras.
is your sanity...

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: May 28, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
Has this been posted yet?

based on the IBM 710 Express chip- underclocked at 3 GHz- comes with 4 cores and 8 threads- 20X faster than the chip found in the Wii- made by IBM and is based on their POWER 7 architecture- built on 45nm- the standard has 6 cores and runs at speeds of up to 3.7 GHz- 710 Express chip can also execute 4 threads per core at the same- Nintendo has scaled this down for Wii U- threads per core will go down from 4 to 2- roughly ?around 50% more powerful than current gen systems[/font][/color]
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/wii-u-cpu-said-to-support-8-threads-is-20x-faster-than-wii/[/b]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:31:11 PM by NWR_insanolord »

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: May 28, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
Oops sry for the font color and bad format.  I'm too lazy to remedy the issue, so...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: May 28, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Normally I'm very lazy, but I'm also bored, so to remedy that I de-hideoused your text for you.

J.P. Corbran