Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3159864 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6825 on: May 15, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
It could be a solution to the lack of internal storage space if Nintendo wanted to, I don't know, actually stay ahead of the game and offer something other consoles don't have, but a mere 512 MB is a joke. Amazon gives you 30 gigs FREE upon using their service.
Amazon only offers 5GB of free space.  That is still a lot more than 512MB.  But so far, on my PS Plus account, 512MB is more than enough.   I have over 30 game saves in my online storage and have yet to crack 100MB of space used.  Unless a save file is overbloated (the largest file I have on there is about 3MB), then 512MB should be more than sufficient for save files.

PS Plus only offers 150MB, which is pathetic, considering many PS3 games can have large save files.
You're right, it is only 150MB.  I believe I am still no where near capacity on my storage though.  I'll look again when I get home...after I install Diablo III on my computer. :)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6826 on: May 15, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
512MB is about twice what the Wii has available for game saves, did anyone here fill up their Wii memory with nothing but saves? I know I haven't and I've played a lot of games.
Due to stuff like Swapnote, Nintendo Video, and Pokedex 3D, "extra data" is taking up about 500MB on my 3DS currently. If the limit is that low, they'll have to exclude those types of apps from backup.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: May 15, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »
True, if the Wii U has applications like that then they could use a lot of data. Can you back up those files onto your computer? I forget. If so, then at least you can still back them up in some form.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: May 15, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
You can back up those files (they're already on the SD card), but you can't back up save files that are on 3DS cards (without a third-party adapter).
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: May 15, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »
If the rumor of cloud storage for Wii U was true and only had 512MB of space, I could see it being handy for when you carry your tablet to a friends house and want to log into your own profile.

Now I don't know how it will work in reality, but I have a pretty solid imagination. So I see it working as such; Your Wii U is at home wirelessly connected to the internet while you have your uMote over at your friends house synced to his Wii U. You log into your profile which loads your Mii and User data off your personal cloud storage, assuming that wasn't already stored on the uMote's internal memory.
Your friend pops in Madden 2013 and starts loading his custom roster complete with custom uniforms and a custom stadium.
This is where your 512MB of cloud storage comes into play.
Since you are logged into your profile on your uMote on someone elses Wii U, your account recognizes that you also own Madden 2013 and pulls your save game from your console down to the cloud and then pushes it to your new location so that you also have access to your custom roster, uniforms & stadium even though you didn't plan ahead to play Madden 2013 by bringing a memory card with you. And because you are connected to the cloud, that data is automatically updated back to your Wii U at home when you are done. So it is forever recorded that you spanked your friend from endzone to endzone on both of your saves and not just his.

If that was how the 512MB of could storage was used, then I think 512MB should be plenty. If it's meant to replace personal storage all together, then Nintendo will need to rethink that strategy.

oh and I have an article published on the front page:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37764.0

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: May 16, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
Most Wii games have very small save files (1-3 "blocks"),

But we are talking about the Wii U. This could be a problem if the Wii U gets big Bethesda RPGs like Skyrim because the save games get really huge with games like that. The Wii never had to deal with something like that, but the Wii U (hopefully) will.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: May 16, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
So I checked my save files on my PS3 online storage and I'm only using 25MB of it with 25 games (I was wrong about the number I had on there).  About half the games used saved files in the 100-200k size and the other have were in the 1-3MB range.

So if it is just for saves, 512MB will be more than enough.  If it is used for things such as Pokedex info (unless the way it is stored is different on the WiiU) and other collectible game information, there may be a problem.

With the info we have, I'd say it is more than enough as the rumor states it's for save info.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: May 16, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
512MB is about twice what the Wii has available for game saves, did anyone here fill up their Wii memory with nothing but saves? I know I haven't and I've played a lot of games.
Due to stuff like Swapnote, Nintendo Video, and Pokedex 3D, "extra data" is taking up about 500MB on my 3DS currently. If the limit is that low, they'll have to exclude those types of apps from backup.
There's no way the cloud storage will be for Nintendo Videos.  That would be something you'd have to back up used an SD card or upload to Youtube/Facebook to be able to save.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: May 16, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
On a device like Wii U, it doesn't really make sense to auto-download Nintendo Videos anyway, just stream on demand. Nintendo Video doesn't even deserve to exist as a standalone program, but that's another topic...
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: May 17, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
Good read. I've got a sleeping baby in my arm, so too hard to type, just look.

http://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/whispers-of-the-wii-around-the-industry-pre-e3-2012-edition/
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: May 17, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
Massive, huh. Massive hype, massive comeback, massive world... Could mean a lot of things.

Other stuff isn't interesting, really. I hope for a more gamecube-styled Classic Controller, especially for Smash Bros.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: May 17, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
Mass(ive) Effect 4 featuring Samus...?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: May 18, 2012, 12:03:34 AM »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: May 18, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »
Bullshit btw, the concept art was ripped off from a student's blog/DeviantArt page.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: May 18, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »
Too often MegaByte shines the harsh, unwanted light of reality on our Wii U fantasies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6840 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:27 AM »
Bullshit btw, the concept art was ripped off from a student's blog/DeviantArt page.

There was concept art?

But anyway, I only left a link (no post title, no quotes) and called it crazy for a reason.
But sometimes..... you just never know what too crazy/stupid to not be true.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: May 18, 2012, 02:14:21 AM »

I don't think that picture of MnM and duck hunt ducks were meant to be anything but a picture that somewhat relates to the rumor.

RomanceDawn

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: May 18, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »
I was referring to the follow-up rumor content.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: May 18, 2012, 02:38:56 AM »

So are you saying the whole thing is BS, or that the follow-up content they tried to add to it is BS?

and on a completely unrelated note
https://twitter.com/#!/Eminem/media/slideshow?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitpic.com%2F1bvqwi

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: May 18, 2012, 02:49:26 AM »

Those goons! I hope there is truth to this rumor, but already someone F's up the credibility.

RomanceDawn

Offline Treverend

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: May 18, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
@Caterkiller Can you ask your source what resolution Unreal Engine 4 uses on Wii U, and at how many frames?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: May 18, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
@Caterkiller Can you ask your source what resolution Unreal Engine 4 uses on Wii U, and at how many frames?

Hello stranger! I assume you have come from far away boards to get info. I'm certain he doesn't know as I'm sure his company doesn't have access to one. Maybe they do, i'm not sure I'll check though and you can report it back to neogaf later. ;)

RomanceDawn

Offline Treverend

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: May 18, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
Oh he might not have a Wii U? Disregard the questions I sent you if he can't answer them, wasn't sure. xD That's AMAZING Unreal Engine 4 is confirmed though, if that's true, which I really hope it is, I have no doubt Nintendo will be right there with the other next gen systems.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
New Rumors
« Reply #6848 on: May 19, 2012, 12:20:09 AM »
BlackNMild recently put me on a mission to find out more, but at the time none of my developer sources knew anything, i'll check again.

Edit:

-So I just got confirmation from a great source that Far Cry 3 will NOT be coming out for Wii U.

-Assassins Creed 3 Wii U is the same game as the PS360 versions. Didn't clarify version specifics if any.

-This person said 2 Wii U tablets could be used at once, but at the same time, didn't sound very positive. I didn't press it further after I realized this person wasn't a Nintendo fan, and wondered why all I had was a big red Wii in my living room. 

I know it seems like i'm just fishing for comments, but again I got a real source! Even after working on those SW The Old Republic cut scenes a couple years ago, I didn't realize until recently how many connections to developers I had!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:06:49 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #6849 on: May 19, 2012, 01:14:30 AM »
Its too bad developers can't just be console agnostic. Seems so childish.