Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3162022 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6700 on: May 06, 2012, 03:09:10 AM »
I hope the internal storage is only 2gb so Ian can do an epic rant.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: May 06, 2012, 04:26:43 AM »
Honestly- when I purchase a digital copy of something I don't want to have to pay MORE MONEY FOR ANOTHER FLASH DRIVE FOR IT. I don't care if SD cards are the new memory card, I shouldn't have to pay more for it.

Just saying.

As typed previously, there are always auxiliary/secondary costs between physical and digital copies. It's all about figuring out what costs are more acceptable than others.

Heh.
I'm already running on the assumption that whatever storage the Wii U will have out of the box, it will be inadequate for the needs of the video game enthusiast. Well, at least for the needs of an enthusiast who plans to own their entire collection of games digitally. I wait anxiously on how easy or hard Nintendo will make expanding storage for the Wii U. Given the unexpected and pleasant surprise of Nintendo's commitment to having most of their games available physically and digitally on the day of the release, my best hope is that the Wii U will have an empty 2.5" SATA slot ready to receive nearly any laptop drive to be formatted and be put to use. The nightmare or "Nintendo 'Nintendo-ing' it" scenario would have the final Wii U hardware axing the USB HDD solution with Nintendo expecting me to invest in high capacity SD cards.

It's hard to guess what the will be needed in the future, but it is hard to imagine one where a Wii U with one terabyte or even 500 gigabytes of storage is the optimal recommendation. Video will not account for any hard drive space as streaming is already the predominant choice as opposed to downloading a local copy. There is the possibility of many home movies and such. Unless you plan on having a 24+ hour jukebox and slideshow, music and images shouldn't take up more than one, two, or three dozen gigabytes.

That leaves video games. Now, I have 40+ games installed on a desktop computer that take around 250-300 GB of storage. Keep in mind that the very pretty PC games have their data uncompressed for faster loading (at least I think that's how it works) and have higher quality assets (so PC gamers can show off). Digital copies of games for the Wii U ought to be much more storage efficient than PC games. Barring strange things happening, 120-180 GB or maybe even less should be barely adequate amount of storage for the life of the Wii U.

Well, unless there will be 20+ must-have games on the system that are 12-25 GB behemoths. If the PS4 and Xbox 3 end up using Blu-Ray (or equivalent) with games filling up those discs, then that could be a possibility (assuming you only want them as a digital copy).

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6702 on: May 06, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »

Wasn't the original rumor 8GB?

/is probably busting out an old 500GB hard drive for his WiiU storage needs
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: May 06, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »
Heh.
I'm already running on the assumption that whatever storage the Wii U will have out of the box, it will be inadequate for the needs of the video game enthusiast. Well, at least for the needs of an enthusiast who plans to own their entire collection of games digitally.

Haha, me too. In fact, my Wii U budget projected budget is taking into assumption I'll want to buy a 64 GB SD card at launch.... hmmm... I just realized I haven't even factored in an external HDD purchase, but I don't know enough about how that would work to budget for it...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: May 06, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
Haha, me too. In fact, my Wii U budget projected budget is taking into assumption I'll want to buy a 64 GB SD card at launch.... hmmm... I just realized I haven't even factored in an external HDD purchase, but I don't know enough about how that would work to budget for it...

A quick check in a newspaper ad reveals that hard drives (internal or external) don't exist in anything less than 250 GB. There are solid state drives that are more expensive with prices at US$1 a GB. A 2.5" notebook 320 GB HDD goes for $75-80 while a 500 GB one costs $90-100. A quick check of 64 GB SD cards reveals they ring up at more than $50.

Suffice to say, if you're going to buy a new hard drive to put in or be used by your Wii U, you will most likely have more storage than you will ever need. As for the nightmare SD-card-only scenario (which I doubt even Nintendo would be that stupid), that will be pretty expensive for the storage you are getting.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: May 06, 2012, 02:36:25 PM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: May 06, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
HDDs were a lot cheaper about a year ago, but apparently a Tsunami in Taiwan (where most HDD manufacturers are) made all the prices go way up. I got a 2TB external HDD for $79.99 on Black Friday 2010.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: May 06, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
HDDs were a lot cheaper about a year ago, but apparently a Tsunami in Taiwan (where most HDD manufacturers are) made all the prices go way up. I got a 2TB external HDD for $79.99 on Black Friday 2010.

I heard it was floods in Thailand.

80 GB External Hard Drive for under $60:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822158054

For less than $5 you can get a HDD enclosure from Amazon and then if you have any spare HDDs laying around you can just pop it in and make your own external HDD solution for dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Hard-Drive-Case-Enclosure/dp/B001AAVA08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336343523&sr=8-2

Even if you don't have spare HDDs laying around, its probably much cheaper to buy a regular internal HDD plus the enclosure and then combine them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:34:10 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6708 on: May 06, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »
Well, I think Nintendo will look at what Apple is providing.  I see either 8GB or 16GB being the highest Nintendo will go...but they won't go much lower than that. 

This seems like an adequate number for games, pictures, movies on a portable device...so a non portable device that could delete games and redownload them should be just fine with that number.  I could also see Nintendo having some of that memory "locked" for game saves and such.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: May 06, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
This seems like an adequate number for games,

COD Black Ops is an 18gb download from PSN, so 16gb wouldn't even be enough for that one game.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6710 on: May 06, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »
I think we're leaving out an important factor here, and that's how much the price will drive up the cost of the system. Probably not a whole bunch, maybe a total cost of about $20-30 a system, since they'd have to design something that look good with system design. If the system was already going to be $299.99, then Nintendo would have to up the price to at least $329.99 or up to accommodate their usual mark up. Nintendo still wants to sell this thing to the blue ocean market or at least try to. If they miss the pricing sweet spot, then they'll easily lose those sales. The only question then is how much will the casual market even need a hard drive?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: May 06, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »
Smart marketing implies that digitally distributed games will be priced accordingly with how much space they take up... but that's smart marketing, not Nintendo Marketing.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: May 06, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »
Explain how that would be smart marketing?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6713 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:59 PM »
Evan, if that is "smart marketing", then almost no game/movie/TV/music company does "smart marketing". Although smaller games can be price less, the size of the download is not the main factor in determining the price.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #6714 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »
Resident Evil: Revelations – 3.17 GB, $39.99
Super Mario 3D Land – 0.31 GB, $39.99

Everyone complained when Capcom considered charging $49.99. It was not smart marketing, even though the game takes up 10 times the space of Super Mario 3D Land.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: May 07, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »
The price for games is should be market based. The rules of supply and demand should dictate that as demand falls for the physical copy of a certian games, so should the price of the digital version of the game. If I can get Steel Diver for $8.99 on Amazon then I should be able to do the same on the eShop, right?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6716 on: May 07, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
The price for games is should be market based. The rules of supply and demand should dictate that as demand falls for the physical copy of a certian games, so should the price of the digital version of the game. If I can get Steel Diver for $8.99 on Amazon then I should be able to do the same on the eShop, right?

It varies from store to store though. It might be $9 on Amazon, but GameStop, Toys R Us, and Best Buy have it for $40, Target has it for $36.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6717 on: May 07, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »
Nintendo's said they're keeping the wholesale price of digital and physical retail games the same, so it'll be up to the retailers to do that.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: May 07, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »
Evan, if that is "smart marketing", then almost no game/movie/TV/music company does "smart marketing". Although smaller games can be price less, the size of the download is not the main factor in determining the price.
Huh. I suppose I should have elaborated. My comment was not meant in a "nerd-pushes-glasses-up" manner commenting on the unfairness of the industry- I know the industry is unfair. While I understand that the wholesale price of digital and physical will be the same, companies  should understand that they would benefit greatly from honestly pricing their games based on how much space it takes up and factoring in the necessity to buy more SD cards, etc to cover that cost. I mean, they'd gain more trust and generally be more decent, but that's a risky move by anyone because the losses could also be just as severe. Yadda yadda yadda marketing 101 you all know this and it would be stupid for me to dream ideally about this silliness.

If the Wii U is going to have a crap internal memory that can't hold larger games, that's going to drive up the demand for getting more flash drives to accommodate. However, taking into account that Nintendo doesn't KNOW if "that next game" will take up more than the space your Wii U currently possesses, they can't really price it based on the need to buy additional memory for it... nor can they price on the size of the download because Nintendo would lead us to believe (and they would be partially correct) that file size isn't what counts- it's the overall experience. And hey, Super Mario 3D Land is chock-full of content and doesn't have the loading times of Resident Evil: Revelations, so it's fair that the two are similarly priced, I guess.

I don't know how I expected that last comment to blow over, honestly. But I apologize for the shallowness- I suppose it was too "bright-eyed youth" of me.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: May 07, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
I heard it was floods in Thailand.
My bad, it was Thailand.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6720 on: May 07, 2012, 06:45:17 PM »
Did Blockbuster in the UK just accidently reveal the Wii U launch titles?

http://www.infendo.com/did-blockbuster-leak-wii-u-launch-titles-in-the-uk/#more-40193

• Just Dance 4
• Killer Freaks From Outer Space
• Marvel Super Heroes
• Metro Last Light
• Monsters Party
• New Super Mario Brothers Mii
• Ninja Gaiden 3
• Pikmin
• Rabbids Party Land
• Raving Rabbids
• Rayman Legends
• Shield Pose
• Splinter Cell 6
• Sports Connection
• Tekken
• Your Shape 2013
• Zombie
• Aliens: Colonial Marines
• Assassin’s Creed
• Batman Arkham City
• Darksiders II
• Dirt 3
• Formula 1 All Stars
• Game Party
• Ghost Recon Online

That is what I like to call a "blockbuster" Announcement.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:47:43 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: May 07, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
Isn't that also pretty much just a list of every Wii U game announced so far?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6722 on: May 07, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
Nothing on that list stands out as impossible.  2 Nintendo games.  3rd party ports and a few new games.  The only thing that has me questioning is the 3 Rayman games or Rabbid games...  I think 2 is possible....the platformer and the party game.  Though honestly, it could very well be only 2 games with some games being inside other games...or 2 games with one game being a downloaded game. 

If this is the launch line up for the Nintendo WiiU it is very good.  Great even...but I do have some reservations about it, that put up the red flags of doubt.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6723 on: May 07, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »
Isn't that also pretty much just a list of every Wii U game announced so far?

Along with a bunch of games that have not been announced. I call BS on the list. Even if that list is real (they could be fake, it could also be the retailer having games that are not real like when GameStop had "Donkey Kong 3D" boxes), nothing in them indicates they would be launch games.

Spak, there are 3 Nintendo games on that list (Pikmin, NSMBM, and Shield Pose). Shield Pose would be too simplistic for a retail release, at most it would be like a $5 eShop release (at least if it's the same length and depth as the E3 demo).

At the very least, this would NOT be a launch list because Metro: Last Light is confirmed by its publisher to be a Q1 2013 release, and Wii U will be out in the UK by the end of 2012.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:10:32 PM by TJ Spyke »

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: May 07, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Did Blockbuster in the UK just accidently reveal the Wii U launch titles?

http://www.infendo.com/did-blockbuster-leak-wii-u-launch-titles-in-the-uk/#more-40193

• Just Dance 4
• Killer Freaks From Outer Space
• Marvel Super Heroes
• Metro Last Light
• Monsters Party
• New Super Mario Brothers Mii
• Ninja Gaiden 3
• Pikmin
• Rabbids Party Land
• Raving Rabbids
• Rayman Legends
• Shield Pose
• Splinter Cell 6
• Sports Connection
• Tekken
• Your Shape 2013
• Zombie
• Aliens: Colonial Marines
• Assassin’s Creed
• Batman Arkham City
• Darksiders II
• Dirt 3
• Formula 1 All Stars
• Game Party
• Ghost Recon Online

Fake list is fake. Like every single rumor ever made, it's nothing but speculation. If this list is even remotely true (assuming Blockbuster UK has "insider info"), then the rest of the company would have the same info as well. And we'd be seeing more lists like this from other retailers.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931