Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3156781 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6450 on: April 12, 2012, 01:16:50 AM »
I see this thread is linked on the GAF. Hello, you GAF SOBs, get a haircut and a job!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:57 AM »
they wouldn't be miis if they were realistic, the point of miis is they are a caricature of people. that being said there can be something other then miis that are more realistic. I remember when i first played with the Aion character editor I made a perfect Angelina Jolie, my friend walked in and was like "woah thats a perfect Angelina Jolie!" It was pretty amazing, wish i saved it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: April 12, 2012, 02:19:29 AM »
Right... and xBox Live avatars are totally realistic. An Avatar should be a simplistic way of identifying someone. Sure, some more customization options and accessories would be nice, especially adding graphics to bodies and other special wear would be nice. But Miis represent simplicity and easy identification, plus modification that's accessible to all ages.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6453 on: April 12, 2012, 03:22:26 AM »
I actually understand people wanting more from there Mii creator...but I don't want more realism...I want more surrealism.  I want more options for creating great cartoon caricatures.  I loved how people were being creative and making movie monsters, actors, actresses and more all in a silly way.  To me...more facial options and perhaps a very, very simple clothing editor would be great.  I don't mean being able to go style crazy...just a couple of simple options like a basic dress, suit, pants, or shorts, cap, cape...ect, ect. 

In the end, keep Miis what they are...and perhaps allow us to do more creative stuff.  My last idea for this is allowing drag and drop features first...then simple edits.  I would love to be able to easily put 2 sets of eyes on people...or more.  Or be able to choose any color for skin and such.  Let me go crazy...but keep that Mii style.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: April 12, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »
Controllers and input methods always go through bumpy patches, just go back to the N64 controller or even the NES's original pad, and neither are a perfect controller (the N64 was limited and clunky at times with some games, and the NES wasn't that comfortable), in fact they are quite flawed compared to what we have now.
I remember that the NES controlller was quite "controversial" in its day. Up until then, most folks had been gaming with joysticks, where you move the character with your right hand and press the button(s) with yor left. The NES controller reversed that (forever, it seems). It really did take some getting used to at the time.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »
I don't have a problem with the way the Miis look but they're very basic design means that any game that uses them if also going to have a basic design.  If they put Miis in Mario Kart then Mario Kart's visual design is restricted to something that the Miis wouldn't look ridiculously out of place in.  That NSMB Wii U demo used the Miis and as a result it's visuals are restricted.

Though I really don't like how Nintendo will use the Miis as a lazy substitute for original characters.  Pilotwings 3DS is the big offender here.  The original Pilotwings games had their own cast of characters and Nintendo ditched that and reused Wuhu Island.  The Miis are unfortunately an excuse for Nintendo to be lazy.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: April 12, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »
It would be funny if Nintendo made an M rated COD clone shooter that used Miis. Imagine blowing a Mii's head off with a shotgun, or putting one into second chance and then it pulls out a pistol and kills you.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:52:01 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: April 12, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
That NSMB Wii U demo used the Miis and as a result it's visuals are restricted.
I know you have an ax to grind but, come on, that's not even remotely true. New Super Mario Bros. Mii's look has nothing to do with the Miis. It looks like a New Super Mario Bros. game without the jagged edges. The only restriction is Nintendo's insistence on adhering to the series' boring art style.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: April 12, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »
Just because Miis have a simple design means nothing for the graphics of the rest of the game they may be in.Mr Game&Watch fighting Snake looks totally acceptable in Smash. MarioKart7 would like like Mario Kart7 with or with out Miis. When Mario Kart looks like Galaxy and Miis are included you have nothing to back you.

And before you say it Nintendo does not want ultra realistic stitching in Mario's clothes, his design and everyone elses still look phenomenal in the galaxy games. Even if Nintendo decides that's ok for main series Mario or Mario Kart that would hardly stop Miis from getting in, nor would their inclusion dictate the graphical design.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: April 12, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
I don't have a problem with the way the Miis look but they're very basic design means that any game that uses them if also going to have a basic design.  If they put Miis in Mario Kart then Mario Kart's visual design is restricted to something that the Miis wouldn't look ridiculously out of place in.  That NSMB Wii U demo used the Miis and as a result it's visuals are restricted.

Do I have to repeat this a millions time?  The NSMB Mii demo at E3 2011 was not a real game.  It was nothing more then a tech demo using the NSMB Wii engine to show how the Wii U controller can stream the games from the TV onto the controller and still be playable.

Yes we'll eventually get a NSMB game for the Wii U but the demo shown at E3 last year was not it.  So stop acting like the NSMB Mii demo is what the Wii U NSMB is going to look like because no one knows since Nintendo hasn't shown or announced the real game yet.  It's just like how the Zelda graphics demo artstyle is based off of Twilight Princess models for Link, ArmoGhoma and the Temple of Time but it doesn't mean the eventual Wii U Zelda is going to look exactly like that with the same artstyle either.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: April 12, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
Yes we'll eventually get a NSMB game for the Wii U

Hopefully it won't feature Miis. The Super Mario and the Wii universe should be kept separate. When you allow these goofy N64 quality Miis to enter into the sacred Mario universe it taints the whole thing. I like Mario to be kept pure and only have the canonical Mario characters allowed into it. When Miis show up it stops being a Mario game and instead just becomes some all inclusive generic thing where anything goes, even if it doesn't belong.

The day Miis are allowed in a Mario game is the day the Mario franchise jumps the shark, imo. Then what's next? Miis in Zelda? Miis in Metroid? Will nothing be sacred? Having Miis in some casual mini game thing is one thing. I don't care about that. In something like Wii Sports or Wii Play there's no story to it, and its just mini games just for fun, so the character you use in that doesn't matter. But in a game where you are playing the role of a hero, you shouldn't be able to make some steve urkel Mii or something goofy like that and rescue the princess. It should just be Mario like it has always been.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:19:14 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »
Because when I think of integrity and pure storytelling, I immediately think of the Mario universe.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
Because when I think of integrity and pure storytelling, I immediately think of the Mario universe.

The Mario universe is beloved by millions of people. Its kinda like Coca-Cola. When they tried changing the formula of Coke in the 80s everyone rejected it and there was mass protests, and they forced to go back to the original classic formula. They did it to try to make the product more like Pepsi, but the problem was the people who like Pepsi drank Pepsi, and it only pissed off the people who preferred Coca-Cola.

Trying to change Mario to be more like the Wii series is the same thing. There are people who love Mario but hate the Wii series, and vice versa. The people who love Mario the way it is and has always been wouldn't be happy to have their beloved childhood memories being invaded by a bunch of goofballs.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: April 12, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »
I don't think the Mario universe is beloved by millions of people. The Mario games are, but I doubt most people care about the universe all that much. The series has historically had about as little story as was possible, with the universe only there to provide a backdrop for the gameplay. I believe the number of people who would have any real objection to the Mii characters being in a Mario game is statistically insignificant.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »
Yeah, let's remember that this is the same franchise that gave us such "gems" as Mario is Missing!, Mario's Time Machine, Hotel Mario (yes, I know...it wasn't made by Nintendo, but it still bears his name and characters) and all the various incarnations of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show.  It's also the series that tends to redefine its universe about every other game.  It's not a franchise I hold up as some lofty Eden that has never been soiled by strange or bad ideas.

That said, I'd rather the Miis stayed in their own games rather than taking a spot in another game that could be used for a character that actually belongs in that setting.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6465 on: April 12, 2012, 10:12:26 PM »
Well, honestly...I don't care if Miis are in the game or not.  It doesn't bother me at all.  However, I still understand people who would rather see the Super Mario 2 cast in a 4 player Mario game, having to work together with each characters unique advantages. 

I actually would love to see that. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »
Do I have to repeat this a millions time?  The NSMB Mii demo at E3 2011 was not a real game.  It was nothing more then a tech demo using the NSMB Wii engine to show how the Wii U controller can stream the games from the TV onto the controller and still be playable.

Well, NSMBMii was the only thing Nintendo showed @ E3 that was listed as "software" and had screen shots released of it. Everything else was labeled demo.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: April 13, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
Well, NSMBMii was the only thing Nintendo showed @ E3 that was listed as "software" and had screen shots released of it. Everything else was labeled demo.

Doesn't chance the fact that all Nintendo reps said over and over again it wasn't a real game.  When everyone working for the company is telling people what they played isn't a real game, that makes it pretty clear that even if their is a NSMB Mii in development for the Wii U, the demo at E3 2011 isn't what it'll look like.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Universal uMote!?
« Reply #6468 on: April 13, 2012, 12:14:59 AM »
Are my hopes of a Universal uMote closer to reality than I thought?

Wii U Controller listed as Univeral Remote Tech in Patent
It's not a Nintendo Patent, but they are specifically mentioned in it.
This invention relates generally to remote control systems and, more particularly, to a system and method for facilitating the set up and configuration of a portable device, e.g., a smart device which may incorporate universal remote control functionality, to command operation of one or more types of remotely controllable appliances of one or more manufacturers. Exemplary smart devices include but are not limited to Apple's "iPhone` and "iPad," Google's "Android" platform, Nintendo's "Wii U" controller, Blackberry's "Torch" or "PlayBook," etc. Exemplary types of appliances include, but are not limited to televisions, digital video disc players (DVDs), cable or satellite set top boxes (STBs), digital video recorders (DVRs), audio video (AV) receivers, thermostats, game consoles, lighting systems, etc.

Now if they put TVGuide on it and channel previews, DVR management and things of that sort, the battle for the living room would be over.  Wii U would have won that war without a doubt.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: April 13, 2012, 02:10:01 AM »
Yeah, let's remember that this is the same franchise that gave us such "gems" as Mario is Missing!, Mario's Time Machine, Hotel Mario (yes, I know...it wasn't made by Nintendo, but it still bears his name and characters)

Those games all feature Mario, but they aren't set in the Mario universe anymore than Mario and Sonic at the Olympics or Super Smash Bros. Moreover, those games were very minor spin offs which few people played or remember.

A crossover game where Miis and Mario exist together probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but one where Miis invade the Mushroom Kingdom would be. If that makes any sense.
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »
I disagree. A game where Mii's invade the Mushroom Kingdom would be AWESOME and meta. There's so much potential to be really clever there.

However, I highly doubt it's going to happen.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: April 13, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »
The Miis already invaded Mario Kart so isn't the Mario series already tainted?  I do get that isn't a storyline Mario title so it is a little different.

My objection to them showing up in a storyline game is that it would take me out of the world.  Their presence would say "this is just product".  You know why people get so worked up over discussions about the Zelda timeline?  It's because they care.  Their favourite videogame series mean something to them.  If Nintendo just haphazardly cheapens a series by putting in illogical Mii appearances to try to bring in the casuals it damages the series.  The worst thing Nintendo can do is make product that looks and feels like mere product.  A big reason why I've never liked the Wii Series is because it is sheer product and is blatantly obvious about it.  There is no emotional connection to it.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6472 on: April 13, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
The solution is obvious: put Miis into the next Smash Bros. as playable characters and anybody who doesn't like them can vent their disdain there.  ;D

Heck, it's near guaranteed that Wuhu Island will be in future games; it sneaked into Mario Kart 7 and Pilotwings Resort.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6473 on: April 13, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »
I think it's a safe bet that Miis will be in the next Smash Bros. game, and that is fine with me.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: April 13, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »
SSB is actually a very appropriate place for Miis since the whole series is just a big Nintendo IP lovefest anyway.