Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140678 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6250 on: April 06, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »
If aren't worried now, you will be after you read this.
Another day, another analyst.

He loses credibility immediately for claiming Nintendo's stock would be worth more if Nintendo supported iOS/Android then says that the iPad makes Wii U less relevant, especially since Apple is rumored to be releasing controller. There are just so many things wrong with that. Adding a controller to the iPad doesn't make it a gaming device. It can only store at best 64GB worth of games (technically less considering it still has to be an iPad so it has other things on it) and storage is not expandable. Ignoring that and assuming the iPad is a legit threat to the Wii U, he wants Nintendo to willingly give away the biggest advantage to buying Nintendo hardware (Nintendo's own games). That is clearly a textbook case of conflicting interests. Why don't these same supposed problems also apply to Microsoft and Sony? How does this guy have a job?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: April 06, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
And for those of you who just ignore all analysts like me just read this!
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2012/04/nintendos-e3-show-floor-booths-revealed-haptic-technology-is-coming.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
The feelable touch screen!

If it is a standard feature in the controller then I really look forward to it. if it's just an add on,        then.... I'll pass. unless it sees incredible support with good games.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: April 06, 2012, 09:59:13 AM »
Yeah, there's no way that can be a difference maker if it isn't built into the tablet controller itself right out of the gate. If Nintendo is considering this technology, I hope they learn from the whole Motion Plus thing. The Wii would have benefitted greatly had Motion Plus been available from the start. I know cost was an issue but considering how much more freedom and fluidity it provides, it would have been worth taking the hit.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: April 06, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
The claims from "anonymous developers" that the Wii U is less powerful than the PS360 may have just been FUD paid for by either Sony or Microsoft (or both). Both Sony and Microsoft love using FUD to tear down their competition; Sony used this to great effect against the Dreamcast.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: April 06, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
And for those of you who just ignore all analysts like me just read this!
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2012/04/nintendos-e3-show-floor-booths-revealed-haptic-technology-is-coming.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
The feelable touch screen!

If it is a standard feature in the controller then I really look forward to it. if it's just an add on,        then.... I'll pass. unless it sees incredible support with good games.
I believe I put that on my Reveal bingo sheet that they have that sort of Haptic.  It would be an amazing boon for Nintendo if they have that technology in the uMote.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:09:38 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
If LucasArts is creating the game then, no, not The Old Republic. That was developed by BioWare. If it was The Old Republic, I feel they would have just said so since it's already out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »
I'm not techie, but to me it sounds like Nintendo is planning a Fixed Function and Programmable Shader hybrid beast of a GPU.

It's raw specs may not wow us, but it's output should more than get the job done.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1634440&postcount=833

I think 3DS shares the same design of Fixed/Programmable shaders on the GPU.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
SuperMario4.com
« Reply #6259 on: April 07, 2012, 12:22:01 AM »
Don't want to read anything into this but....

http://SuperMario4.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/supermario4.com

We know a new Mario game is coming to 3DS, but will it be a direct sequel to SMB3? or is the name more of a place holder name for now?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6260 on: April 07, 2012, 12:24:24 AM »
Doesn't that say Nintendo is looking to sell the URL?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: April 07, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »
Well, it also says it was created back in 2007, and that's why I didn't want to read anything into it. Just thought it might draw some people out on a friday nite.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: April 07, 2012, 02:18:48 AM »
If LucasArts is creating the game then, no, not The Old Republic. That was developed by BioWare. If it was The Old Republic, I feel they would have just said so since it's already out.

Why go to all the trouble of making a new one when the Old Republic on home consomes would suffice.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: April 07, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
Well, I've just run across some information regarding Wii U from 2 different software kits

1. the Software SDK (aka CAFE) is on version 2.3
2. As of late March engine optimizations have led to a 3x to 4x performance
3. The uMote is referred to as DRC

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6264 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
DRC?

Hmm... "direct-response controller," perhaps? Hehe. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: April 07, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »
Why go to all the trouble of making a new one when the Old Republic on home consomes would suffice.
Is that a real question? Replace "The Old Republic" with any popular game. You're basically asking, "why make anything new when something that already exists would suffice?" As I said, that rumor has LucasArts developing the game and LucasArts didn't develop The Old Republic. The rumor is so vague and based on so little (a map of their E3 booth, really?). It's obviously sensationalized/click-bait and many of us already fell for it so clearly it worked. Let's assume that this is even a thing, who said it has to be a Star Wars game? LucasArts isn't only involved in Star Wars branded things. You may still get The Old Republic on Wii U but just looking at the wording of this rumor, it's not referring to The Old Republic.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: April 07, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
Actually I think it's fact that Lucas Arts is registered to show a MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) for Wii U at E3.
It's rumor that that game will be Star Wars related. a rumor that is likely to be true, but doesn't mean it will be a RPG type game. It could easily be Battlefront III or something else entirely.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6267 on: April 07, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
LucasArts isn't only involved in Star Wars branded things.

Other than the 2009 Steam/Xbox Live Arcade game Lucidity, LucasArts hasn't developed a non-Star Wars game since the 2003 GameCube/Xbox/PlayStation 2 game Gladius. So odds are that this would be a Star Wars game. They have published non-Star Wars games since then, but not developed them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: April 07, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »
Yeah, it's probably a Star Wars game. I was just pointing out that it's not definitely a Star Wars game and that it's not The Old Republic.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: April 07, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »
It could be an Indiana Jones game. Lucas owns the franchise, and the 5th movie is in development. It would make sense to have a game to tie in with it.
is your sanity...

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6270 on: April 07, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
I'm not techie, but to me it sounds like Nintendo is planning a Fixed Function and Programmable Shader hybrid beast of a GPU.

It's raw specs may not wow us, but it's output should more than get the job done.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1634440&postcount=833

I think 3DS shares the same design of Fixed/Programmable shaders on the GPU.

Someone needs to elaborate on this so a tech newb like myself can better understand.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6271 on: April 07, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
It doesn't really make sense on modern hardware except for two cases... making certain complex effects that would normally be too processor intensive possible (I don't know of any in particular), or simply easier backwards compatibility with Wii. Anything else should be programmable and/or handled by middleware.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: April 07, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »
I'm not gonna pretend to have a deep understanding of anything on the tech side of things, but wouldn't fixing certain functions make them essentially free since they are hardwired and you no longer have to waste precious GPU function on including them?

so if they could fix the lighting sources like they did with the GC and maybe something like Global illumination, wouldn't that free the dev to spend precious time to go program other stuff like Tesselation and HDR into their games and not have to worry about resources to use GI & other lighting?

the down side being that you either turn the fixed function on or you turn it off like a light switch, instead being able to dial it back like a dimmer switch?

or do I have it all wrong?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6273 on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
Right. That stuff could be handled by the middleware unless it's simply not powerful enough to do dynamically (e.g. 3DS).
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.