Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3163437 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6150 on: March 31, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »
Yeah, I can see Sega/Sammy closing down their video game segment and selling off the IPs.  That should be worth enough to give them a  good star on there debt.  If I'm reading this right there other part is making money so it be like removing the diseased limb from a tree.

In no way should Nintendo ever just buy Sega outright.  That's a losing deal.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: March 31, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
What SEGA should do (and I'm not sure why this is in the Rumor thread) is make sure they support the Wii U with all they got when it comes to launch time. There is a lot of money on the table should the Wii U be a success. Put real software out at launch along with some casual flare, and enjoy your recovery.

If such a plan were to fail and Sega/Sammy were to fail right along with it, then Nintendo should absolutely NOT buy the company and assume any of that bad debt. Nintendo should wait till they fail, then pick off the talent as they get let go or leave the sinking ship. Buy rights to any IP's Sega/Sammy is willing to sell off (such as Sonic) to recover from their losses and possibly buy the Sega name from them and form a new studio using that that name to house all the "new" talent and their "old" IP's.

Now it will look like Nintendo bought Sega and that Sega is a Nintendo exclusive dev. This would also allow Nintendo to fund/produce some more risque games under a different brand that everyone is familiar with without having to tarnish the Nintendo brand with lots M rated content.

SEGA has a bunch of games that were developed in Japan and due to their financial troubles may never be released in North America or Europe. We all know how Nintendo feels about money hats, but what if Nintendo went to SEGA and told them that they would pay for the localization of games like Valkyria Chronicles 3 and in exchange SEGA makes them Wii U exclusives. That would be one hell of a deal for prospective Wii U owners.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: March 31, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
Now it will look like Nintendo bought Sega and that Sega is a Nintendo exclusive dev. This would also allow Nintendo to fund/produce some more risque games under a different brand that everyone is familiar with without having to tarnish the Nintendo brand with lots M rated content.
Yeah, Sega could essentially be Nintendo's Miramax/Buena Vista brand. At the same time, isn't Sega's name tarnished? Maybe it would be better for Nintendo to establish their own M-rated brand. Then again, Infogrames adopted the Atari name and that's one of the most tarnished names in gaming so perhaps you can't beat name recognition.

Since this whole buying Sega thing is a pipe dream, it might still be a good idea for Nintendo to form an M-rated publishing brand to release games with a hard T or M rating.

Since Nintendo is moving into HD development they could use the man power, and since SEGA's developers are more familiar with developing HD games then they could get a whole lot of work done on making games. However, I do not see Nintendo buying their IPs because Nintendo has enough of their own to manage, and they have the capacity to grow new IPs if the need ever arises.

If SEGA does go bankrupt for good then I see Capcom or Konami buying them in the east and EA or Activision buying them in the west. Who ever would get them would most likely jump at the chance to have a second tier mascot at their disposal.
Okay, I'm a little confused. Your reasoning for Nintendo not buying the Sega's IPs also applies to the 4 other companies you mentioned. In fact, with the exception of maybe Activision, they have all introduced more new IPs in recent years than Nintendo. So, if anything, Nintendo would benefit the most from an IP grab because they wouldn't have to establish a new IP (something they almost seem allergic to). They could rely on name brands and just focus on making games that people already recognize.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: March 31, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »
I don't know how strong of a rumor this is, but right now it's being discussed that Jet Set Radio for Wii U was possibly one of the unannounced games that Sega cancelled due to the restructuring.

If I find something/someone I can source I'll let you guys know more.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: March 31, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »
I don't know how strong of a rumor this is, but right now it's being discussed that Jet Set Radio for Wii U was possibly one of the unannounced games that Sega cancelled due to the restructuring.

Yeah I read that somewhere, how lame would it be if it were true?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: March 31, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »
The later part of this article has me worried about the longevity of SEGA:

http://kotaku.com/5898026/sega-of-america-walloped-by-layoffs-western-publishing-reduced-to-sonic-and-three-others

In a statement published by Joystiq, Sega of America re-named those four series and confirmed the layoffs. "As a result of the SEGA Sammy Board decision to consolidate the business, many of our internal functions will be re-structured and this could result in a number of redundancies within the publishing business across the Western organisation," it said.
IGN reported that QA for North America has been completely shut down, with Sega Europe taking over its functions. Positions in functions like marketing, social media and design also got the axe, IGN says, citing unnamed sources.
The reduction of Western publishing will surely kill off a significant chunk of Sega's portfolio here. In addition to the four franchises named above, western consumers have seen titles like Virtua Tennis, Virtua Fighter, Bayonetta, MadWorld and The Conduit published by Sega over the past three years. No word yet on what this means, specifically, for HD re-release plans for Jet Set Radio. But it probably kills rumors of a similar re-release for Shenmue.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: March 31, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »
I wonder if there will be any company with enough guts to buy their IPs.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Headstrong rebooting a Sega IP from the Dreamcast Era?
« Reply #6157 on: March 31, 2012, 11:22:22 PM »

I found out more thanks to Shocking Alberto over @ GAF

According to his source, the rumor goes that Sega reached out to Headstrong Games to reboot one of their Dreamcast IP's and that IP had ties to a XBLA port.

There were several IP's in question
Space Channel, Crazy Taxi & Jet Set Radio

and if you read the Sega layoff/restructuring news, that leads to speculation of it being Jet Set
Radio since that has(?) an HD port coming to XBLA.

and now it's possible that this may be one of the unannounced games that Sega cancelled.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Nintendo & MySpace Sitting in a Tree....?
« Reply #6158 on: March 31, 2012, 11:39:57 PM »
and one more before March is officially over, and this one may be an early April Fools joke....
but if you think about it, it's not all that unbelievable. But maybe that's why I'm cautious about it.

Nintendo working with MySpace on Wii U
http://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/myspace-nintendo-wii-u/
It was passed down the grapevine that Nintendo is working behind the scenes with MySpace. They are trying to create something like a MySpace TV app for the Wii U that would turn the controller into a full communication/social media device. I have no idea what that means, but that was the notion of it.

Honestly, I think this would be a great move for all involved. Video Chat, IMing, pictures, social networking tailored specifically for the Wii U and it's special controller. MySpace is more media centered (music & videos) as Facebook took over on everything else it did, so Justin Timberlake and his MySpace may be looking for a say to make a new name for itself and let everyone know that they aren't dead, or maybe just taking the opportunity to recreate themselves for a whole new audience. It makes so much sense, that it can't possibly happen though.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6159 on: March 31, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
Who even uses Myspace anymore? This would be like a company in 2007 announcing a deal with Geocities. More content is always good, but this rumor seems like it would benefit Myspace more than Nintendo.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: March 31, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
Nintendo needs social networking integrated directly into the Wii U. Something that uses video, chat and all aspects of media to make it a centralized online media hub of the home.

MySpace is in the process of reinventing itself ever since Facebook kicked it off the couch and told it to find a comfortable spot on the floor.

as a matter of fact MySpace was at CES back in January talking this very same thing (reinvention)

Myspace and Panasonic partner to unveil new social TV service
MySpace partners with Panasonic who is very close to Nintendo....
http://specificmedia.com/press/171
Quote from: re: MySpace TV
“We’re ready to take television and entertainment to the next step by upgrading it to the social networking experience. Why text or email your friends to talk about your favorite programs after they’ve aired when you could be sharing the experience with real-time interactivity from anywhere across the globe? As the plot of your favorite drama unfolds, the joke of your favorite SNL character plays, or even the last second shot of your favorite team swishes the net, we’re giving you the opportunity to connect your friends to your moments as they’re actually occurring. This is the evolution of one of our greatest inventions, the television. And, we no longer have to crowd around the same one to experience it together.â€

Myspace TV: The Next Step in the Comeback
http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2012/01/myspace-tv-the-next-step-in-the-comeback.html
According to the press release, the social activity will be handled via a smartphone or tablet app. If that’s the case, then it’s really not much more than GetGlue, Miso, and several other apps are already doing. It works, but it feels like two experiences, what’s happening on TV and what’s happening on your phone.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
Re: Headstrong rebooting a Sega IP from the Dreamcast Era?
« Reply #6161 on: April 01, 2012, 12:11:47 AM »

I found out more thanks to Shocking Alberto over @ GAF

According to his source, the rumor goes that Sega reached out to Headstrong Games to reboot one of their Dreamcast IP's and that IP had ties to a XBLA port.

There were several IP's in question
Space Channel, Crazy Taxi & Jet Set Radio

and if you read the Sega layoff/restructuring news, that leads to speculation of it being Jet Set
Radio since that has(?) an HD port coming to XBLA.

and now it's possible that this may be one of the unannounced games that Sega cancelled.

I see this as a bad omen of things to come for SEGA because it is relatively easy to make a profit via digital downloads, so if they are cancelling games that have no physical copies then they might very well be in such turmoil that they could go belly up soon.

Edit:

When I mentioned the easy profit on digital games I menat that gamers would consume as much as SEGA produced and the chances of losing profits on used games would be nullified.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6162 on: April 01, 2012, 12:59:53 AM »
Blah, blah, blah MySpace.

Just because MySpace is giving it one last hurrah, doesn't mean that they aren't dying.

As for SEGA, I think Nintendo should just take the plunge and buy them out. There's too much brand synergy going for them right now. Nintendo's about to post a loss themselves, but the company still keeps a large cash reserve. SEGA would be foolish to just sell off their IPs to pay their creditors, and I wouldn't think too many companies would buy them. Yeah, you can buy Shenmue and give that game's fans the sequel they've been begging for to make a quick buck, but that game would suck and make everyone hate you. (Actually, Rockstar could probably pull it off.)
In any event, Nintendo could easily rotate some staff around and whip whatever remaining studios SEGA has in to shape. Rebranding existing IPs and giving some of Nintendo's (F-Zero, Star Fox) over could really work out in Nintendo's favor.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: April 01, 2012, 02:37:32 AM »

Just because MySpace is giving it one last hurrah, doesn't mean that they aren't dying.

Never said they weren't dying. M point was that they need to do something bold and Nintendo needs someone that has social networking down to make it work flawlessly on the Wii U the first time.

As for SEGA, I think Nintendo should just take the plunge and buy them out. There's too much brand synergy going for them right now. Nintendo's about to post a loss themselves, but the company still keeps a large cash reserve. SEGA would be foolish to just sell off their IPs to pay their creditors, and I wouldn't think too many companies would buy them. Yeah, you can buy Shenmue and give that game's fans the sequel they've been begging for to make a quick buck, but that game would suck and make everyone hate you. (Actually, Rockstar could probably pull it off.)
In any event, Nintendo could easily rotate some staff around and whip whatever remaining studios SEGA has in to shape. Rebranding existing IPs and giving some of Nintendo's (F-Zero, Star Fox) over could really work out in Nintendo's favor.

Nintendo buys them out then they have to buy them off of Sammy (who already bough them) or buy SegaSammy as a whole which would mean assuming whatever debts they have at the moment. and that doesn't guarantee all the talent that made the IP's they just acquired will stick around to continue working on them.

I think it would be much easier and cheaper to pick them off in pieces.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: April 01, 2012, 03:08:47 AM »
Is the Sega brand really worth all that much anymore? The people who care are most likely more loyal to individual franchises, and either wouldn't be aware in the change in companies or knowledgeable enough about the industry to get what happened. Hell, in certain cases I think the fact that it's made by somebody other than Sega might be a selling point to some people after the decline their internal studios have had. I'd be much more interested in the next Sonic game if it were made by somebody other than Sonic Team or Dimps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:11:17 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6165 on: April 01, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »
Most people like Dimps, they do a really good job.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: April 01, 2012, 03:48:15 AM »
Pinterest is the new hotness in social media. Nintendo needs to jump on that, not MySpace.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: April 01, 2012, 03:58:50 AM »
Most people like Dimps, they do a really good job.

Dimps is okay, but I think part of the reason people like their games is because they get compared to the complete **** coming out of Sonic Team. There are at least half a dozen studios I'd be far, far more interested in seeing make a Sonic game than them.

Pinterest is the new hotness in social media. Nintendo needs to jump on that, not MySpace.

Watching Reggie doing a section of the E3 Press Conference about how Nintendo's integrating the Wii U's online system with Pinterest would be hilarious. In some ways, it's exactly the kind of thing they would do: aiming at a broader market, being unconventional for no reason, a misguided attempt to be cool and cutting edge.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: April 01, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
Is the Sega brand really worth all that much anymore?

It is in the sense that it is a brand everyone recognizes and remembers, just like Atari. If Sega did go under the Sega brand name would be something alot of companies would want to be in possession of. When Atari went bankrupt all of its various property was split up among various parties. There is a company today called Atari Interactive, but it has nothing to do with the original Atari other than the name and logo. I suspect if Sega went under and was auctioned and parceled out something similar would happen with the name. It would live on, but it probably wouldn't have Sonic or the other IPs associated with the original Sega. Someone else would be in possession of that.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6169 on: April 01, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »

Never said they weren't dying. M point was that they need to do something bold and Nintendo needs someone that has social networking down to make it work flawlessly on the Wii U the first time.

Yeah, but that would only help MySpace. It could even hurt Nintendo as MySpace's brand might have a certain toxicity to it, making Nintendo look "behind the times." Having them build a social network would work, as long as the brand wasn't there.

Nintendo buys them out then they have to buy them off of Sammy (who already bough them) or buy SegaSammy as a whole which would mean assuming whatever debts they have at the moment. and that doesn't guarantee all the talent that made the IP's they just acquired will stick around to continue working on them.

I think it would be much easier and cheaper to pick them off in pieces.

The thing for me is the staffing. Nintendo already seems to have trouble managing the IPs they've got now, and adding more IPs with the same number of people would only make that worse. Keeping the teams around and putting some better leadership around them would give them that Nintendo quality we've all grown to love. The key talent is almost irrelevant, it's really just the numbers that are needed.

And it's not like Nintendo doesn't have the cash to buy SegaSammy. Nintendo's current ratio is like 4.something, which is a lot. They could easily assume all of SegaSammy's debt and have it paid off in a reasonable time.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6170 on: April 01, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
Is the Sega brand really worth all that much anymore?

It is in the sense that it is a brand everyone recognizes and remembers, just like Atari. If Sega did go under the Sega brand name would be something alot of companies would want to be in possession of. When Atari went bankrupt all of its various property was split up among various parties. There is a company today called Atari Interactive, but it has nothing to do with the original Atari other than the name and logo. I suspect if Sega went under and was auctioned and parceled out something similar would happen with the name. It would live on, but it probably wouldn't have Sonic or the other IPs associated with the original Sega. Someone else would be in possession of that.

Actually, Noland Bushnell is on the board of directors at Atari. In fact, the company that owned the name renamed itself to Atari, though the last name was Infogrames. If that name can last, SEGA certainly can. I don't remember Atari having nearly as die hard a fan base as SEGA does.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6171 on: April 01, 2012, 09:45:47 PM »
Actually names are fairly important.  Sega is a recognizable name...and people may see a franchise and buy it on the name alone...so I think the name Sega is still fairly important.

More over, I think the IPs are even better.  Take Sonic for instance...yes he hasn't been in too many great games recently, but one stellar game would bring him back into the forefront. 

As well as all the other games that COULD be reinvented...or franchises that are old which could feel like new franchises for Nintendo if they were to do something new with them.

I think it would be a good purchase if possible...but Sega probably would not let go of any worthwhile IPs without a complete buyout.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
The IPs are certainly worthwhile, I'm just questioning whether it's that important to buy the Sega brand along with them. And Sega will have to let go of their IPs if no one is willing to buy the whole company.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6173 on: April 01, 2012, 11:51:03 PM »
That is unless they can restructure.  I just don't see them selling the IPs without buying the whole company.

And the Sega name is important.  Sonic might be recognizable without Sega's logo, but what about Shinobi?  Or Shemmue?  I think the Sega name is fairly important...and if anybody bought them they should really shake up the teams...and mix the talent with their own teams and try to give them a new start. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6174 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10:19 AM »
The name matters for certain franchises. People might buy Sonic for Sonic, but still think it's weird to see say, Activision, on the title screen. Shenmue and Powerstone still have a fanbase asking for sequels, so they'd be alright especially with good developers. Games like NiGHTS and Jet Set Radio without the SEGA name are DOA, though.

The thing is, no company is gonna buy more than one IP from SEGA without needing more people, preferably experienced with the franchise. And SEGA wouldn't do well trying to sell them one at a time. They wouldn't do Sonic first, and that's the hottest one. The prices would just get driven down and EA would buy Crazy Taxi for like 99cents.