Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3163564 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5625 on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »
And I never said that you claimed you did. :P

Maybe we'll see a return of classic Nintendo next go around... maybe not. But anyway...

BnM.. any new rumors? Talk going on around the industry? Please? Hah.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
The only reason a person would buy a Wii U knowing that he/she doesn't like Nintendo games is so he/she can complain about it

Another reason would be brand loyalty.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
Here's my impersonation of you, Chozo Ghost.

"Hi, I'm Chozo Ghost. I like to take everything literally. Also, what's sarcasm?"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:51 AM »

Nothing for this thread really, besides 2nd/3rd hand comments "from devs" about Wii U without a doubt being much better than PS360, but at the same time, the previous kits had left much to be desired. New kits could be a slightly different picture, but far from the "order of magnitude" jump people will be expecting from the likes of Sony with the PS4 (like PS2 -> PS3 jump for next gen if PS3 was the PS2 in this situation)

But I've been procrastinating on updating the Xbox720 thread with talk of codename Durango. Atleast I don't think I posted it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
I think we should blame BlackNMild for this thread once again descending into chaos. Get your **** together, man.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »
Adrock, remove thy face from thy palm, lest it become permanently affixed to it.

Also, Kairon and all others concerned: I also do not consider handhelds, such as the DS, when claiming to be a single console owner. I differentiate between the two, and I see nothing wrong with doing so. PSP and Vita aside, handhelds and consoles have traditionally tended to offer different experiences (though the 3DS may be flirting with line itself just a little bit).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: February 29, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
Heh Heh
Bluff = Called

Advantage: Adrock

You play a dangerous game, Mr. Bond!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:37 AM »
And I never said that you claimed you did. :P:

Maybe we'll see a return of classic Nintendo next go around... maybe not. But anyway...

Smooth.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: February 29, 2012, 12:33:55 AM »
I think we should blame BlackNMild for this thread once again descending into chaos. Get your **** together, man.

I wasn't gonna post this, but I have it written on a napkin (not by me) that PS3 is coming next year and X720 might not till 2014.
I know where this info is coming from, but I think it was misinformation the sake of misinformation as it also came with a message to check IGN for more info.

I didn't push any further for more info since I would rather have an invite to E3 instead.

But if this info helps you guys get away from yet another "Ian hates Nintendo" conversation, then I surrender it willingly.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:15 AM »
We'll from what devs have said, Wii U will have power that this gen doesn't :P

Zelda HD looked good at last year's E3, can't wait to see how far actual games have come since then.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: February 29, 2012, 04:52:38 AM »
HOELY **** BALLS

Someone has leaked a trailer for ZELDASASASAS ahead of GDC. It looks.....amazing. And it's for the UUUUWIIIII

It's a fan made trailer
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5636 on: February 29, 2012, 04:57:16 AM »
Called it yesterday.... Thread would go in this direction. Don't feed the parasprites.

Anyway that is interesting BlackNMild. That kinda leaves the Wii U coming out the same postion as the 360 was this gen. Think it will get the same type of support as it did if this is indeed true?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: February 29, 2012, 05:16:59 AM »
Minus the lack of sales due to pricing and ubber fail fortrying to be first? nah... But getting 3party support...? Yes,yes it will!
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: February 29, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »
Called it yesterday.... Thread would go in this direction. Don't feed the parasprites.
It wasn't so much about "hardcore vs. casual" as it was about how Ian could logically save $300 over the course of a few years. There was no name calling or mudslinging. Off topic but that's bound to happen in a thread 220+ pages long. I don't think Ian hates Nintendo; I just think, all things considered, he'd be happier sticking with the PS3 he already owns for the time being and strongly considering its successor over Wii U. If Wii U happens to tickle his fancy at some point, he should get one but there's no reason for him to jump in early. Holding off allows him to save money like he wants, scope out the trajectory of 3rd party support and test run some 1st party games from friends or demo kiosks. All of those things allows him to make an informed decision. There should be no surprises then. While he's enjoying 3rd party games on PS3 (the same basic 3rd party games the Wii U will have during that time frame), he gets to decide if Wii U floats his boat. He's free to do what he wants but that certainly sounds like the most logical path.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:31:33 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: February 29, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »
Anyway that is interesting BlackNMild. That kinda leaves the Wii U coming out the same postion as the 360 was this gen. Think it will get the same type of support as it did if this is indeed true?

If the PS4 and X720 aka "Durango" are only the minor bumps (20% or so more than Wii U) that is rumored/speculated they will be, then the Wii U will be like the 360 was this gen and both the PS4 & 720 will be like the PS3 of this gen. Especially if they both have tablet/touch screened controllers like rumored. Just rememeber that I take what was written on that napkin with a whole lot of salt.

But hopefully some juicy rumors come out of GDC considering that Nintendo will be showing Wii U of behind closed doors and it's rumored that Crytek has something (CryEngine 3 demo... TS4?) to showcase too.

GDC2012triforceboothsetup.jpg
HYPE

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5640 on: February 29, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
They have plenty of time to revamp their hardware to make the jump from Wii U even greater in an attempt to make Wii U look dated. Considering Sony's hard-on for powerful hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if their next console is powered by Skynet.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: February 29, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
I thought Adrock was telling me to stick to the PS3 for the next gen period.  I didn't realize he meant until the PS4 comes out.

I'm very interested in the Wii U because when you look at their entire videogame history, I really like Nintendo.  I've just been very disappointed in the direction they have gone in the last generation - and that mostly relates to inaccurate controls that I find utterly frustrating to use.  I want the Wii U to be where they get back on track.  I think it's a given that the Wii U will ultimately determine what kind of company Nintendo truly wants to be.

Now I'm not going to buy a Wii U at launch because I got burned by the Wii.  It's just good sense to wait and see.  In that sense sticking with my PS3 for the near future makes sense.  If I wait until the PS4 comes out that will have given the Wii U a good amount of time to properly judge it and make the call on what to go with.

Though I should note that the PS3 has not been all that satisfying either.  The problem with it - no Nintendo games.  Nobody makes games better.  The problem is that by going with such wonky controls on the Wii, it's been as if NO ONE has made Nintendo console games this gen.  Tight, responsive and intuitive controls were a big part of why I felt Nintendo made the best games and the Wii was specifically a rejection of that.  So my choices were either games that lack Nintendo's polish but control the way I want or games with Nintendo's polish that are a chore to play because of the controls.  What I've learned is that I'm kind of snob for Nintendo-level quality and if Nintendo themselves don't offer that then really no system has much to offer me.  If I don't get a Wii U, I might just stick to retro consoles.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
They have plenty of time to revamp their hardware to make the jump from Wii U even greater in an attempt to make Wii U look dated. Considering Sony's hard-on for powerful hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if their next console is powered by Skynet.

I really don't see this being the way to go, specially for Sony.  They got burned big time this gen by going so hard with their system specs.  As a result, the PS3 was released at upwards of 600 dollars if I remember correctly.  This, along with developers having difficulty getting the most out of the system began the fall of Sony as the market leader it once was. 

I think, as others have said, that we have reached a point where graphics will no longer matter as much.  The cost of having high end specs will be too great for results that will not really be noticeable to the average person.  Developement costs are already too high which has resulted, IMO, in the deaths of many studios.  The costs are at a point that if you produce one high budget game for PS360 and it flops, that could be the end of your company.  I think the focus on the next gen will be on development costs and ease of development.  The graphics will be good enough for everyone with only a minor or decent bump in specs.   

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
While that's a good point, Mannypon, especially the cost of the PS3 on launch, I don't think that will stop them from going rather high-end. Yes it's true that development costs are on the rise, but that doesn't necessarily mean Sony won't put out a high-end product so developers could make insanely detailed games if they wanted to.

Also I think Sony feels that its biggest competitor is Microsoft, not Nintendo. So if Microsoft puts out a high-end system, they will feel obligated to do so also. Furthermore, if Microsoft doesn't put out a spec'd out system than Sony may feel like there's an opportunity to win the specs war.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: February 29, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »
That is all true and it all comes down to what exactly they want to accomplish businesswise but I think at the end of the day, if they want to stop bleeding money, they'll have to go conservative.  They won the spec wars this gen and it resulted in the destruction of the empire they built off the PS2.  They had the most success during the PS2 era which, of the big 3 at the time, I would argue was the weakest spec wise.  I think they'll try to stay in line with the competition with maybe a slight advantage hardware wise.  We won't really know this for sure though for another year or two at the least (until we can open up said systems and see what they really got under the hood)

We need some rumors in the worst way though lol, these threads are branching out to new thread territories.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: February 29, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
The Blu Ray drive really pushed the price of the PS3 to unacceptable levels. That's no longer an issue. Price still doesn't seem to concern Sony very much considering Vita is a penny pincher's nightmare. Still, there are ways for Sony to cut costs. How they handle backwards compatibility is one. PS3 initially included the entire PS2 chipset within it further driving up costs. Alternatives include PS4 emulating PS3 games like how 360 ran Xbox games, having a PS3 mode like how Wii runs GCN games or cutting disc based BC altogether (in favor of downloads) or just cutting it entirely period.

Ultimately, I don't think packing egregiously powerful an pricey hardware is something Sony of all companies will lose much sleep over.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: February 29, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
The Blu Ray drive really pushed the price of the PS3 to unacceptable levels. That's no longer an issue. Price still doesn't seem to concern Sony very much considering Vita is a penny pincher's nightmare. Still, there are ways for Sony to cut costs. How they handle backwards compatibility is one. PS3 initially included the entire PS2 chipset within it further driving up costs. Alternatives include PS4 emulating PS3 games like how 360 ran Xbox games, having a PS3 mode like how Wii runs GCN games or cutting disc based BC altogether (in favor of downloads) or just cutting it entirely period.

Ultimately, I don't think packing egregiously powerful an pricey hardware is something Sony of all companies will lose much sleep over.
I think BC was a bad example.  Sony ultimate solution was to totally take it out of later systems and start reselling the games even though it was the system with the most to gain from BC.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: February 29, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »
A bad example of what? How to potentially lower the cost of the PS4 hardware? If so, I'm sorry but I don't understand how that was a bad example.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: February 29, 2012, 05:10:42 PM »
I'm really not sure where the PS4 and Xbox 720 can go where there is a clear need to upgrade other than the company telling its userbase "sorry, we don't make games for the old system anymore!"  I know there are reasons to go with better hardware and not all of them are related to graphics but are they enough to easily sell people on another gen?

This gen all of the systems had some inadequacy.  The Wii didn't have the HD hardware and the PS3 and X360 didn't have motion control.  There had to be a Wii successor.  The inadequacy was in the guts of the system itself and you couldn't update that with a peripheral.  But the other systems could get their motion control as peripherals and did.  So what do we need a PS4 for other than the fact that Nintendo is releasing a new system so I guess Sony has to as well?  Yeah we can always have better hardware but is it enough of difference to make it worthwhile at this point?

I figure they'll all copy the tablet thing entirely because it provides SOME justification in the marketing for going with a new system.  It isn't even a creative idea on Nintendo's part since it really just the DS applied to a console.  But even with the obvious need for new hardware Nintendo felt they needed something else to really justify it.  The gimmick is the future of new videogame generations because mere upgrades in hardware are not noticable enough to make people think they need to upgrade.  I expect that to be the trend until someone has a new system bomb because of an inability to differentiate it from the old one and then everyone will ease off and the generations will get longer and longer.  Though I think the real future is in having no difference between handhelds and consoles and that everyone will just own a handheld that can be connected to the TV and turned into a console with extra controllers and such plugged in.  The handheld's screen can even be the tablet controller if that idea really takes off.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: February 29, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
Just wait till they reveal the haptic touch screen