Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141512 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5525 on: February 17, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
I know. He's dead, I obviously did not kill him. He's someone that would be a very interesting assassination in CoD. It's a video game.

It's not like I'm going around telling everyone that I'm going to go to the White House and shoot up the place.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
Black Ops 2 is a much better idea than Modern Warfare 4, although really why does every COD game have to be a sequel? I am still holding out hope for a COD game set during the Civil War.

I would like to have a CoD set exclusivly in the Vietnam war.

Black Ops takes place in 1968 so it is set during the same time as the Vietnam War (except the bay of pigs thing and the flashback to WW2), and many of the missions do take place in Vietnam. Isn't that good enough?

I wonder if Black Ops 2 is going to be set immediately after the original one ends, or if it will be set sometime later. I'm sure it will be set during the Cold War, but the Cold War lasted until 1991 so there's ample time where it could take place.

The game that I want would encompass the entire war and not just a few missions like BlOps.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: February 17, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
What about a future Call of Duty? Or would that be fairly boring?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: February 17, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
What about a future Call of Duty? Or would that be fairly boring?

The modern warfare series are set in the future, albeit near future. If you want a COD set in the far future, check out Killzone or Halo.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: February 17, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »
Then how about something that ISN'T American? I've had enough with "America saves the day" storylines.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: February 17, 2012, 07:35:28 PM »
Then how about something that ISN'T American? I've had enough with "America saves the day" storylines.

How about a WW2 COD game where you get to be the Germans and/or Japanese? Or would that be too controversial?
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5531 on: February 17, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »
Anything, that you are playing against the winning team would be controversial.  I think you could do a World War 2 game where you play as the Russians. 

Actually, I would love a Civil War game, but that will never happen because it is Americans killing Americans...but also War was very different back then.  People fought by marching in a line and firing...that is not an interesting Video Game. 

Now, they could take a game and put it in the past, but design levels and such around more modern warfare...but then it isn't historically accurate. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
The reason WWII gets used as a context a lot is because Germany and Japan were truly evil during that time period. Having people play as them would be incredibly controversial, but beyond that I'm not sure how that would have any effect on gameplay besides changing the color of the enemy uniforms and the gun you start out with. Doing it from the Russian point of view would be interesting, but again, I think going back to WWII is a bad idea in general.

What I'd really like to see is a move away from military shooters and back to a GoldenEye/Perfect Dark lone agent against the world setup. But since that wouldn't sell as well and wouldn't work well for team deathmatch, the lifeblood of the genre, I'd like to see a move to entirely fictional settings.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
The reason WWII gets used as a context a lot is because Germany and Japan were truly evil during that time period. Having people play as them would be incredibly controversial...

But apparently not in strategy games, be they turn based or real time. Which is odd, since I can't see any real reason why this would be, but it seems true nonetheless.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
My dream CoD game is a third person action title set in the near future and centers around China as the villain.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: February 17, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
If you had a WWII game from the Axis perspective how do you handle the Holocaust?  Or the Bataan Death March?  It's not just the fact that they lost the war that makes them the "bad guys" in videogames and movies.

Videogames get a bad rap anyway.  You want to give the anti-videogame types the argument that a game is pro-Nazi and that it is "training" today's youth to think of the Nazis as cool?  It ain't worth attracting the shitstorm.

But they could let you play the British or Russians.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5536 on: February 17, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
Anything, that you are playing against the winning team would be controversial.  I think you could do a World War 2 game where you play as the Russians. 
See Red Orchestra 1 and 2.
How about a WW2 COD game where you get to be the Germans and/or Japanese? Or would that be too controversial?
Again, Red Orchestra 2 lets you play as the Germans. Pearl Harbor Trilogy on WiiWare lets you play as the Japanese. I'm sure there are other examples.

Of course, these are limited to specific battles and ignore the larger atrocities.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »
The reason WWII gets used as a context a lot is because Germany and Japan were truly evil during that time period. Having people play as them would be incredibly controversial...

But apparently not in strategy games, be they turn based or real time. Which is odd, since I can't see any real reason why this would be, but it seems true nonetheless.

Strategy is a lot farther removed from what's happening. Being a Nazi soldier shooting Americans seems different from pushing around units on a map. Also, strategy games don't get the kind of mainstream press shooters do.

My dream CoD game is a third person action title set in the near future and centers around China as the villain.

A war with China just isn't realistic. Even forgetting they're both nuclear powers, it's a lot more of a one-sided fight than you might think. China would suffer greatly in such a war, which is why it will never happen. The conflict between the two countries will be one of economics and diplomacy, not military.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5538 on: February 17, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
Spak, Activision (through its budget Activision Value label) published The History Channel: Civil War – A Nation Divided on Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, and PC.

You could play some missions as the Soviets in Call of Duty 2.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
If you had a WWII game from the Axis perspective how do you handle the Holocaust?

Why do you even need to? In the original COD games you got to play as a Soviet soldier, but the game didn't have you sending people to gulags or committing genocide against Ukrainians or any of the other atrocities of the Soviet Union which occurred during this time under Stalin.

In WW2 atrocities were committed by every side, to different degrees. The western allies mostly did good with a few exceptions (wiping out cities with bombers and atom bombs), but we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking the Soviets and the murderous dictatorship behind it were saints. Yet you could play as a Soviet soldier.

The bottom line is not every Axis soldier was a bad guy. It was the government that was evil and did the evil things like the holocaust. If they treaded carefully they could make a game where you play a good axis soldier who is just defending his homeland and has nothing to do with the bad stuff.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »
Again, though, why would you do that? What, other than the shock value of the story, does that add to the game?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: February 17, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
Again, though, why would you do that? What, other than the shock value of the story, does that add to the game?

Earlier someone in the thread asked about playing as someone other than the American "good guys" for a change. As for what it would add to the game? Not much, except that it would be something different. People say a lot of the FPS genre has been beaten to death, and it has, but being able to switch sides and play from the opposite perspective would be a change. Its just nice to be the "bad guy" once in a while for a change.

I just had an idea where someone could touch on the holocaust in a game and you could be an Axis soldier who fights against it and disobeys orders and sets some of the prisoners free. We shouldn't forget that during the war there were a lot of good Germans who risked their own lives to save the lives of people the Nazis were trying to kill. Shouldn't their stories be told? If there was a COD game that touched on this then you could be both the "bad guy" and the "good guy" at the same time.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: February 17, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »

Earlier someone in the thread asked about playing as someone other than the American "good guys" for a change. As for what it would add to the game? Not much, except that it would be something different. People say a lot of the FPS genre has been beaten to death, and it has, but being able to switch sides and play from the opposite perspective would be a change. Its just nice to be the "bad guy" once in a while for a change.

I just had an idea where someone could touch on the holocaust in a game and you could be an Axis soldier who fights against it and disobeys orders and sets some of the prisoners free. We shouldn't forget that during the war there were a lot of good Germans who risked their own lives to save the lives of people the Nazis were trying to kill. Shouldn't their stories be told? If there was a COD game that touched on this then you could be both the "bad guy" and the "good guy" at the same time.

@ Chozo

Too controversial.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:39:58 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: February 17, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
Please don't.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
Rumor: Activision Working On Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game
« Reply #5544 on: February 18, 2012, 12:03:47 AM »
Rumor: Activision Working On Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game

Maybe Rocksteady isn't working on a TMNT game, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be someone else who is.
is your sanity...

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5545 on: February 18, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »
Oh, god. Which of Activision's teams would be most adept at taking on this challenge? I'm at a loss. :/
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: February 18, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »
Keep Beenox as far away from this franchse as possible.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5547 on: February 18, 2012, 01:22:50 AM »
Crap. It's gonna be Beenox now.. all because Kytim mentioned it. Gah.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: February 18, 2012, 02:04:03 AM »
Not that Nintendo couldn't change their mind, but they've gone on record before that touch screen + 3D = bad.  Fingerprints really screw up the 3D effect.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: February 18, 2012, 02:09:14 AM »
They could somehow use whatever the iPhone's use to reduce smudges.