Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3154812 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5500 on: February 14, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
"

Adrock, apparently you missed what BnM posted about the patents Sony and Microsoft filed for a tablet thinger. Its already confirmed they are copying it. There is no maybe."

Actually Sony filed first (2010) and Nintendo didn't file until Feb 2011.  But that doesn't mean much as MS/Sony stated they were "concepts" which just about everyone has one.  Doesn't mean anything IMO considering the 100's of other patents each company files each and every year. 

Recall my profressor comparing it to the "flying car" of the future.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:36 PM »
Not sure if this was posted, saw it a week ago.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=171749

Retro working on a game with hand painted textures? New Zelda that really looks like the art work? Yoshi's Island?

I saw that a week out so ago, but when I looked at the job posting, which I posted in the Wii U thread already Weeks ago, I didn't see anything about hand painted textures.

But either way Retro also hired an ex Naughty Dog guy that worked on Uncharted which also used hand painted textures.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
HD & 3D uMote screen!?
« Reply #5502 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
According to Patents, an HD and/or 3D uMote is not out of the question
Atleast they were in consideration at some point if they don't make it into final release.
http://kotaku.com/5885584/nintendo-flirted-with-3d-hd-displays-for-wii-u-controller
One of the more interesting nuggets involves 3D and HD. The former might not have caught on like Nintendo, or other electronics companies, had hoped. The 3DS is making innovative use of 3D, but it's still not mainstream. In the patent filing, Nintendo noted that the Wii U "might" feature a 3D display. It also mentions it "might" feature a HD display on the Wii U controller, which so far has sported a sub-HD resolution of around 850x.
Patents:
Game System, Controller Device, and Game Method
SPATIALLY-CORRELATED MULTI-DISPLAY HUMAN-MACHINE INTERFACE

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: February 16, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
I don't think either of those things are really necessary for the tablet controller. Maybe the higher resolution screen but not 3D. That would only be useful when you use it for gameplay.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5504 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
Has Nintendo said what the resolution of the Wii U controller will be? All I can find are sites estimating what they think it is.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5505 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
I don't think they have. I've only seen the estimates too. From the impressions I've read, it was definitely not an HD screen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: February 16, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »
No. All we have are estimates from the internets best and most professional pixel counters.

Sub HD will only look bad if Sony &/or MS copy with an HD screened controller. But if they could do something with 720p resolution or pretty close to it, I think we will all be satisfied.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:59 PM »
I don't think either of those things are really necessary for the tablet controller. Maybe the higher resolution screen but not 3D. That would only be useful when you use it for gameplay.

The effect of either is only cosmetic anyway. It has no overall effect on gameplay, so it is unnecessary. Nice to have, but not necessary.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: February 17, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
I've already said this on Kotaku, but HD won't matter. The screen won't have to be iPad level quality simply because we have a nice big HD television right in front of us.

I'm talking out of my ass, since I don't even own an HDTV, but still.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: February 17, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »
I remember asking a question a few months ago about whether a sterescopic 3D inabled Umote screen would be a good idea and everyone laughed at me for it. A high resolution screen for the Umote would be very welcome on the condition that it did not drive up the cost too much. Also, I was playing a Vita in a Gamestop today and the OLED screen for that thing was amazing in terms of colors and pixelation. If Nintendo offered a OLED enabled Umote screen to be purchased directly from their store then I might be all for buying it.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: February 17, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
It'd be great for there to be an amazing screen on the Tablet Controller, but I suspect Nintendo is prioritizing for functional, durable, and cheap. I look at the difference between the 3DS and Vita screens and think that Nintendo is fine with that difference.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Maybe later on when the prices come down Nintendo will come up with a uMote+ which will have an HD 3D screen. Right now though, I think their priority is to try to keep the WiiU SKU (which will include a uMote) as affordably priced as possible while still being able to at least break even on it.

Oh yeah, and one other thing is to beam out an HD/3D display to the tablet is much more taxing on the WiiU hardware. So for that reason it probably will never happen. You'd probably have to wait until the 9th generation 7 years from now or something, when Nintendo will come out with the "Super WiiU" which will be 5-6 times as powerful as the WiiU. Of course, by then holographic stuff as seen on Star Trek might be on the horizon, so HD/3D will probably seem obsolete.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:59:36 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: February 17, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
Holography coming to the home like Star Trek is still 50 years away.

Holography like Star Wars for the home would be common first.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: February 17, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »

I can see something like that hologram Leia recorded for Obi-Wan being possible 7 years from now. The "Super WiiU's" tablet controller may have little holograms like that popping out of it.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »
I really want an AR game. Pokemon Battle Stadium or something would be perfect for it if they come out with new cards/toys with NFC and are AR capable.

But I really want a Fifa AR game. I want to see the stadium on my table through my screen and be able to walk around it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: February 17, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
I really want an AR game. Pokemon Battle Stadium or something would be perfect for it if they come out with new cards/toys with NFC and are AR capable.

But I really want a Fifa AR game. I want to see the stadium on my table through my screen and be able to walk around it.
I would like that for Madden with the Covet of it digitally rendering a live football game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: February 17, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
It looks like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 could be this year's CoD holiday game. Just in time to be a Wii U launch title? Imiagine fighting zombies on the Umote screen. Treyarch must be developing this title as well.

http://kotaku.com/5886065/black-ops-2-reportedly-outed-by-french-as-this-years-call-of-duty

The site claims that a product page for the sequel to the 2010 Call of Duty title went live on Amazon.fr and that, after they reported this, Activision France requested that the story be killed. When they refused, Gameblog.fr claims that the publisher blacklisted them, disinviting them from a Transformers: Fall of Cybertron preview event and pulling planned advertising from the media outlet.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »

I can see something like that hologram Leia recorded for Obi-Wan being possible 7 years from now. The "Super WiiU's" tablet controller may have little holograms like that popping out of it.
That would be an awesome gimmick, although I'm not sure what practical benefits it would bring. Still, a similar effect got me to blow $5 on that mediocre Time Traveler game twenty years ago, so...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: February 17, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »
Black Ops 2 is a much better idea than Modern Warfare 4, although really why does every COD game have to be a sequel? I am still holding out hope for a COD game set during the Civil War.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
Black Ops 2 is a much better idea than Modern Warfare 4, although really why does every COD game have to be a sequel? I am still holding out hope for a COD game set during the Civil War.

I would like to have a CoD set exclusivly in the Vietnam war.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5520 on: February 17, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »

I would like to have a CoD set exclusivly in the Vietnam war.

Black Ops takes place in 1968 so it is set during the same time as the Vietnam War (except the bay of pigs thing and the flashback to WW2), and many of the missions do take place in Vietnam. Isn't that good enough?

I wonder if Black Ops 2 is going to be set immediately after the original one ends, or if it will be set sometime later. I'm sure it will be set during the Cold War, but the Cold War lasted until 1991 so there's ample time where it could take place.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: February 17, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
I want to kill JFK.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
I want to kill JFK.

Decades later, the mystery of the second shooter is finally solved.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: February 17, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »
You know what I mean.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: February 17, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
I want to kill JFK.

I don't know if it matters if you say that about dead presidents, but if you said that about a living president like Obama you would get arrested and interrogated by the secret service.
is your sanity...