Author Topic: Looking to sell (almost) all of my games. What is the best way to do this?  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
I've been cleaning up my room these last few weeks for when I move out to live in a dorm 4 hours from home. I've thrown out so much stuff that I used to think was so important, and I feel like I should do this with my games too.

My question is, how should I go about selling *most* of my collection? Gamestop credit? Bestbuy credit? Ebay? Amazon? Reddit's gamesell subreddit (which I have used once before)? Another way?

My collection of games is pretty much a bunch of PS3, Wii, PS2, DS, and 3DS games. I don't have anything older than that, so most places should take them.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
eBay, Amazon or B/S/T forums (cheap ass gamer), or Craig's List. Even mentioning GameStop or Best Buy brings on the lulz.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I think it be good to note if you want to sell these quick or if you can take your time.  I'm sure some of these route are faster than others.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Well, I suppose it doesn't matter. I don't need the money right now or anything. Basically, I want the most bang for my buck. From 8/25 to 8/31, I can get 60% extra trade in credit for used games. That, in my view, would be the best money to sell time ratio. Would I honestly get more from ebay than the 60% from GS?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Well, I suppose it doesn't matter. I don't need the money right now or anything. Basically, I want the most bang for my buck. From 8/25 to 8/31, I can get 60% extra trade in credit for used games. That, in my view, would be the best money to sell time ratio. Would I honestly get more from ebay than the 60% from GS?
Depends on if you want to use what you get to buy more games or get money for other things.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
Of course you would get more on eBay than 60% extra from GameStop. Put it this way: GameStop gives less than $35 for an Xbox 360 console with 250GB HDD, controller and all cables. Games are just about worthless for trade-in. You will get much more from selling on eBay, especially if you aren't in a hurry.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
From my experience, the best bet is taking a staged approach. Sell locally through craigslist/kijiji/whatever, after a week try to sell any leftover games via any gaming forums you visit regularly (ex: CAG and racketboy both have active buy/sell/trade forums), and finally ditching whatever is left at GameStop or your local pawn shop.

Selling locally puts actual cash in your pocket while avoiding any outside fees. How effective this is often depends on where you live though - bigger population means a bigger market, increasing the chances you'll find takers. The key choice here is whether to sell as platform-based lots (fast and easy) or as individual games (more hassle, but can provide better overall return).

I was going to say you should put up a list of games for sale here, but have no idea what the site rules are about that kind of thing.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I know its been done before so I don't think it would be a problem.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
I was going to say you should put up a list of games for sale here, but have no idea what the site rules are about that kind of thing.

If its okay with the admins, I might do that.

Just so everyone knows, my game collection isn't that impressive. :P:

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Put up a list. People have done it before.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
Yeah, put up the god damn list already.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Alright, alright. Sheesh. :P: :  I'll just use the list I made for /r/Gamesell.

PS3

Dragon's Crown
El Shaddai
Heavenly Sword
Ni No Kuni
Persona 4: Arena
Heavy Rain
Skyrim: Legendary Edition (all the DLC on disc)
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (though I'm not quite sure if it needs the code that came with it)
Uncharted 2
Bioshock
Grand Theft Auto V
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection

Playstation 1/2

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Final Fantasy Anthology (PS1)
Odin Sphere (PS2)
KIngdom Hearts (PS2) [2 copies]
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS2)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
Okami (PS2)
Launch day Fat PS2

Vita

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
4GB Memory Card
[I may or may not be selling my Vita so I can get the Playstation TV. If you are interested, let me know]

Wii/Wii U

Wii Fit
Bit.Trip Complete
The Conduit
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lost in Shadow
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports (cardboard sleeve)
Excitebots: Trick Racing (generic gamestop case)
Xenoblade Chronicles (no artbook)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Wii U)

DS/3DS

Tomodachi Life
Pokemon Black Version
Pokemon Black Version 2
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Okami Den (game only)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (game only)
Pokemon Ranger (game only)
Elite Beat Agents
Pokemon X Version

GBA (I do not know the state of their batteries. These games haven't been touched in 5+ years.)

Scurge: Hive
Pokemon Sapphire Version (Game only)
Pokemon Ruby Version (one part of plastic is chipped. Still plays. Game only)
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (Game only)
Super Mario Advance (Game only)
2 trash beyblade games
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:53:07 PM by Oblivion »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
You'd probably get like $40 at GameStop for all of that. The Vita is worth about $40 to them (last time I checked), of course they sell it for $180. You can get a good $140-150 for that alone on Craig's List (assuming you find a buyer), $30 or so for the PS2. I imagine the games would probably net around $200 - $250 or so, Metroid Prime Trilogy is pretty valuable ($50 or more). Your Pokemon games are worth around $80 together. Apparently you have pretty decent taste in gaming.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:56:27 PM by Brandogg »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
You'd probably get like $40 at GameStop for all of that.

I know you are exaggerating, but this is simply false. I would know, I used to work there. However, I do realize its still probably not as much as its worth.

Then I suppose ebay is the best bet? Craig's list simply isn't worth it considering where I live.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Sort of surprised I almost have all of your collection.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
I'd be interested in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
and
Trauma Center: Second Opinion if the conditions were great and complete.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Danganronpa is in perfect condition. However, there is a Gamestop price sticker on the case. Most Vita games do not come with a manual, and this is no exception.

Second Opinion has the normal wear-n-tear on the disc that do not cause the game to crash or break down. This case has two GS stickers on it in different places. Comes with manual.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
What are you sellin' Stranger?

edit: nevermind.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Don't you live in Western Washington? I'm in South King County so we could meet up for an exchange if you wanted.

I'm interested in Lost in Shadow and maybe Bit.Trip.

I would sell Metroid Trilogy and Xenoblade on ebay as you could get $100+ easily off of the two of them alone.
My Game Collection

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Don't you live in Western Washington? I'm in South King County so we could meet up for an exchange if you wanted.

I'm interested in Lost in Shadow and maybe Bit.Trip.

I would sell Metroid Trilogy and Xenoblade on ebay as you could get $100+ easily off of the two of them alone.

My problem with that is if we met up, the money I would spend in gas getting up there would offset what I would get for selling any of my games.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
The handjob exchange will make up for the waste of gas money.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Forgot you were that far south. I will be making a trip to Portland in a few weeks so I'll PM you to see if we can arrange a deal down there.
My Game Collection

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
You'd probably get like $40 at GameStop for all of that. The Vita is worth about $40 to them (last time I checked), of course they sell it for $180. You can get a good $140-150 for that alone on Craig's List (assuming you find a buyer), $30 or so for the PS2. I imagine the games would probably net around $200 - $250 or so, Metroid Prime Trilogy is pretty valuable ($50 or more). Your Pokemon games are worth around $80 together. Apparently you have pretty decent taste in gaming.

I just got 470 bucks for my collection. That does not include any system or games that they do not take for trade in anymore.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Looking to sell (almost) all of my games. What is the best way to do this?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
What happened to Oblivion? :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to sell (almost) all of my games. What is the best way to do this?
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
Got banned for an outburst. There is a thread in the funhouse where we discuss matters like this. A couple pages back explains some of what happened with Oblivion if you are curious.
My Game Collection