Poll

Are You Going to Buy the Switch?

Nintendo had me at Switch (Hyrule Warrior)
4 (66.7%)
Nintendo's done it and I'm buying a Switch before the year is up! (Mario Maniac)
0 (0%)
I'm going to buy but feel no urgency to do so anytime soon. (Smash Fighter)
0 (0%)
I'm still waiting for specific software to be announced/released before I'd buy it. (F-Zero Activist)
1 (16.7%)
Still unsure. (3DS is best!)
1 (16.7%)
Nope. I still see no reason for me to buy this. (Overwatch Elitist)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 12, 2017, 08:34:49 PM

Author Topic: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?  (Read 57673 times)

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »
 ;) I knew that.

Anyways, I decided for me this system is about games, period. I loved the Wii, at first, but the games not so much. I liked many of the games but didn't like all the controller options, not only was it confusing at times but there were games that would have been more enjoyable with a solid controller option that wasn't so divisive. I think this has a base option that should work for the majority of games.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:35:03 AM by supermario2k »

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »
I just thought I'd update you all on how sold I am on the Switch. Since the initial reveal, I'm even less sold than I was the day after the reveal. It's sounding less (and less) likely that Nintendo is putting all its development efforts towards this platform. A majorly attractive selling point for me was getting all those 3DS efforts (if not the already existing games, then at least the future iterations of the handheld games) on this platform. Those titles or franchises were going to fill a lot of content gaps that Nintendo's console traditionally suffers.

Because Nintendo probably isn't truly unifying all their efforts into one platform, then I just can't see the third party handheld support coming over to the Switch. I mean it's not a handheld. It's a portable console. I was pretty much holding on for [the games] but I ain't holding my breath on games for this thing. Without [all those games] that we would see [from basically the unification of the two libraries], that leaves the Switch (itself) -- I'm actually pretty darn disappointed with Nintendo's big secret. If Emily Rogers is right about the specs, and she's very steadfast on those numbers, then I'm... I'm just underwhelmed.

As a home console it's what I didn't want: another Nintendo that is lagging a generation behind.

As a portable, it's going to get obliterated by the vast library of whatever Nintendo's current handheld is. I was hoping that the Switch would allow me to play some Pokemon or some Bravely on my TV. Can't even do that, eh? Eh?...

If this is what it is, I'll be sitting this one out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 10:11:37 PM »
*Snip*
Yeah, they're nuts if they think they can pull off the Home/Portable balance again. At least, they're nuts if they think I'll buy into it.

However, your first mistake was thinking Nintendo could pull this off right. Your second was wanting to play Bravely Default.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:51 AM »
So Agent X are you assuming that Nintendo is going to continue to have a handheld line co-exist with the Switch?  What are you basing that on?

If they were to do that, the Switch will go nowhere.  Then it's just an underpowered console that competes with Nintendo's own proven handheld line.  Nintendo would be competing against itself.  That would be outrageously stupid.  But I don't think they would do that since they unified their handheld and console divisions beforehand and I have not heard anything to suggest that they'll do this.

Now they will support the 3DS for another year but it's normal to support the old system for a little bit after its replacement has been released... at least for successful systems.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 02:42:36 AM »
The only way there's a handheld successor (as in not a miniatured Switch SKU) is if the Switch bombs harder than the WiiU, and in that case all bets are off anyway about what happens to the games.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2016, 12:20:02 AM »
So Agent X are you assuming that Nintendo is going to continue to have a handheld line co-exist with the Switch?  What are you basing that on?

Yeah, I'm fearful that Nintendo will try to keep the DS brand alive while using the Switch to the test the market.

I'm basing it off of this, which cites the source everyone else who is carrying the rumor is citing. It IS just a rumor, and I recall clearly that Nintendo had a third pillar strategy in mind with the DS. I'm also basing it off the fact that this Switch is not backwards compatible with the 3DS or the Wii U, and Nintendo is clearly pushing this as a home console and not a handheld. I feel strongly that they really should find a way to bridge those two libraries onto this new system, especially the 3DS.

It's as you say, Ian, that if they don't truly combine their efforts for this platform it probably won't get traction. Nintendo has a successful brand in the DS-line of game machines, and of course they know this. The Switch, on the other hand, is obviously a new brand for them that they want to try to rub some of the DS charm on while still selling it as a home console.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2016, 12:14:13 AM »
Becoming a little more hopeful again. Micro SD slot rumor seems pretty solid. Even if Nintendo capped the upper limit at 32 GB per card, it's easy to carry multiple cards. Also sounds like DS/3DS backwards compatibility may not totally be out of the question.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:12 AM »
I thought the rumor said 128 GB cards were supported? Also no it's not easy to keep multiple cards around, I mean I am a photographer, I have multiple cards sure but they are for specific uses, I wouldn't want to have to keep track of my games cards too. I have 1 SD card I use in my Wii U for Wii stuff and 1 inside my Wii I used for Wii stuff, all the rest I swap out for photos. I take a lot of photos. But what happens when I am scrambling to grab an empty SD card and I pick up the one with my switch games, that could be a problem.

IF they allow support for up to 128 GB I will be getting 128 GB SD card just for this, whatever format it supports or requires. I am still hoping it will have at least that much internally but if reports are 32GB get confirmed then that could be disheartening. I don't think Hard drives will work but maybe they could support flash drives? At least with Flash Drives you can meet in the middle.
Otherwise it could be a return to the days where you ONLY keep the games you intend to play on hand and leave the rest at home? If nothing else it had better be able to run off the cards, I assume this will be the case since they fixed that for Wii and have allowed it ever since.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
Yeah, if that's the card limit, may as well keep buying physical games, how confusing would it be to remember which standard  microSD card carries which games?

IMO, there needs to be storage options that top-off at least up to 500 GB.  I never bothered with digital games outside of non-retail games because of how limited the storage was.  500 GB would at least provide an acceptable cap in the current console generation, but less than that, we're talking about a constraint where I won't bother with digital, once again, outside of virtual console.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »
I also would not get my hopes up about any 3DS backwards compatibility. The won't include extra 3DS guts in this thing, nor will it likely be to emulate the 3DS.

As for the storage stuff, it's sounding more like the no external HD thing is true, which is troubling. I am personally more than fine with sticking to retail in order to be able to sell the games down the line, but for whatever reason more and more folks prefer to spend the same money on a license.

I do wonder if there will be some kind of middle ground, like you can't fridge games on an external dock HD, but you can download a bunch of junk like with Xenoblade X to improves textures and whatnot when playing at home.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
Y'all, I only brought up the memory size cap because the rumors regarding the SD card slot had stated that 128 GB was the present max capacity and that Nintendo could even go conservative on the Switch's supported max with 32 GB.

It would be a pain, but the only thing I am worried about is ability to support the games. It's all about the games. If the latest and greatest Battlefield needs 20 GB for patches and DLC, then storage to an SD card is fine.

Hopefully the sky will be the limit on SD cards.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »
The official limit for SD card size on 3DS is 32 GB, but you can use higher capacity cards than tnat if you format them right. I imagine the Switch limit will be similar. 
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2016, 12:34:36 AM »
there is no way Nintendo doesn't go with support for at least 128GB+ considering how cheap those cards are, and keep getting.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
For me personally I prefer to buy digital only when there is no physical option, like AVGN adventures, or when the disc is outrageously priced and the digital is a steal in comparison, like Xeno Blade Chronicles or Kirby Return to Dream Land.

But I have tons of Virtual Console games I flat out am not rebuying. If I can't get them transferred to the system in some way for free I am keeping my Wii U around until it dies. By then I likely won't care anymore. But game saves might be an issue. I don't ever buy DLC either, ever. If the game is not complete when I first buy it tough I buy a game when it releases if its not finished I play an incomplete game and base my experience off that.

The only exception is when DLC is free and unlocked in game like Amiibo or something similar, like e-reader. I give it a shop for fun/our of curiosity and then move on. Of course I am not the representative of the gaming community as a whole but I probably fit into the target demo they are trying to reach more than the people who buy everything they make anyways. Even if only slightly so.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
I don't disagree with you supermario2k, but then some DLC really extends the life of the game such as with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. I like the possibility of additional game maps, tracks, and the like. If it feels like a game is somehow incomplete without it, then I won't buy the game without all the additional content included. As it is, there is a tendency for people like me to wait for GotY or Complete editions of games known to have really deep expansions (Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc).

It does kind of suck having to wait for the full game while everyone else is digging into and talking about it.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »
I find myself wavering once more. I just can't get comfortable with this concept. I've been reading waaaay too much GAF and looking back at Emily Rogers' latest ramblings. I find with each piece of information she confirms, our levels of enthusiasm (mine and hers) are at opposite ends.

Let's get down to brace tacks with this Frankenstein game machine. Nintendo calls it a home console first, but we all recognize this for what it is actually is: a portable. It's in a portable form factor. There is no denying that the meat and guts are in the tablet--therefore we're looking at mobile hardware, mobile power constraints, and mobile cooling. What we know for sure is that this is a custom Nvidia Tegra SoC and the leaked dev kits reveal a modified Tegra X1. My gut says expect an X1 in the retail package just like the retail package is likely to contain 4 GB of memory and, unfortunately, a paltry 32 GB of internal storage. I'm also seeing tweets that Nintendo is recommending developers go with 16 GB game carts.

Anyway we slice this, I'm getting serious doubts that this device will handle full ports of current X1/PS4 games let alone next year's games. For this device to have anything resembling third party success, it will come in the form of handheld, mobile, and portable support as I just don't see the latest and greatest AAA titles from anybody but Nintendo landing on this platform.

Since that's the case, I'll pick one up for $200 for the first full fledged Pokemon game that takes advantage of the hardware. Until then, I'm about ready to tell Nintendo to take a f--kin' hike. I must apologize as I take my Nintendo gaming just a little too seriously. My expectations for Nintendo do not align with their own expectations, which probably means I'm not their customer anymore. Sucks because they were making so many of the games I actually enjoyed, but today not so much anymore and for that matter none of the money sucking publishers out there are either. /ramble
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:21:57 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2016, 11:04:56 AM »
I find myself wavering once more. I just can't get comfortable with this concept. I've been reading waaaay too much GAF and looking back at Emily Rogers' latest ramblings. I find with each piece of information she confirms, our levels of enthusiasm (mine and hers) are at opposite ends.

Let's get down to brace tacks with this Frankenstein game machine. Nintendo calls it a home console first, but we all recognize this for what it is actually is: a portable. It's in a portable form factor. There is no denying that the meat and guts are in the tablet--therefore we're looking at mobile hardware, mobile power constraints, and mobile cooling. What we know for sure is that this is a custom Nvidia Tegra SoC and the leaked dev kits reveal a modified Tegra X1. My gut says expect an X1 in the retail package just like the retail package is likely to contain 4 GB of memory and, unfortunately, a paltry 32 GB of internal storage. I'm also seeing tweets that Nintendo is recommending developers go with 16 GB game carts.

Anyway we slice this, I'm getting serious doubts that this device will handle full ports of current X1/PS4 games let alone next year's games. For this device to have anything resembling third party success, it will come in the form of handheld, mobile, and portable support as I just don't see the latest and greatest AAA titles from anybody but Nintendo landing on this platform.

Since that's the case, I'll pick one up for $200 for the first full fledged Pokemon game that takes advantage of the hardware. Until then, I'm about ready to tell Nintendo to take a f--kin' hike. I must apologize as I take my Nintendo gaming just a little too seriously. My expectations for Nintendo do not align with their own expectations, which probably means I'm not their customer anymore. Sucks because they were making so many of the games I actually enjoyed, but today not so much anymore and for that matter none of the money sucking publishers out there are either. /ramble

I get what you are saying but I think you are missing the point entirely.

Let me try it this way. Did the GBA get current ports of PS2 games? Yes, it very much did. Were they on the same level as the PS2, no they very much weren't. People still bought them. Nintendo has conceded the home console space to Sony and Microsoft, I think they are wise to do this. As it stands there literally isn't room in the market for three consoles. So it doesn't make sense to think of this as a console. Nintendo wants to sell it as a mobile machine that is also a console. and I think that is what makes this brilliant and why it will work.

Unlike the GBA to PS2 comparison this thing will be closer in power to the competition. No it will not be current enough to do the exact same games PS4 does at the exact same level of tech, but that is the point, these will not be the exact same versions of those games they will be completely tailored to this play style.

If you look at the DS library again you will see games that were released by major third parties that snubbed even the best selling Wii. those "gamer" games that people loved that skipped the Wii still found a home on the DS. Again while the Wii U has floundered, flopped, fizzled, whatever term you want to use, the 3DS has continued to gain support from gamers and game makers alike.

What makes this this potentially so great isn't just that it could have more games from everyone, but that it will not be the exact same iteration of those games. Think of it like this, mobile games the tablet games, tend to be either watered down ports or stripped to their core game, with as much extras as you can squeeze into this. The target demographic are gamers who want to game on the go, who enjoy the mobile offerings like Pokemon, the touch based games, even those Candy Crush and Angry Birds games, who also want to sit in the living room and play a game on their TV set.

Nintendo needs to sell this to the same crowd, the same gamers, that picked up a Game Cube for the exclusives *and* a GBA for those games. That crowd is smaller than the handheld only gamers and smaller than the console only gamers. But if you combine them into one userbase, one fanbase you get a much larger number.

I recently wrote an overly enthusiastic, somewhat rushed, blog post that spells it out with some sarcasm if you can handle sarcasm please read my blog post, here.

If you think of this thing as a home console you take on the go, it will disappoint. The gamers who want an Xbox or a PS4 are already sold on that, they aren't in the market for a Nintendo home console, that is the point. Many of them will still buy the Nintendo handheld on the side. So if you consider that, historically, the Nintendo gamer has also been the same as the Sony gamer, for many people the combination is PS console for the living room and Nintendo handheld for on the go. Sony tried to make the PSP a thing but Nintendo pushed them out of that market. This will still sell to those gamers. Why? Well because the Sony Playstation is an extension of what Nintendo started with the SNES. Despite the negative crap Perm likes to say, Playstation is more Nintendo than Nintendo sometimes. The point is most gamers flock to Playstation because it does offer them the games they expect from Nintendo, but the one thing it lacks is Nintendo 1st party games. Gamers also want those games so even the ones who do buy a Playstation still buy the Nintendo as the second console. That is what this is, the hand held console they usually buy anyways. So there is still that segment of the market.

Try to think of it like this, PS3 *AND* Wii was a thing, PS3 *AND* DS was also a thing, but PS3 + Wii + DS was less likely. PS2 + GameCube was a small market, but PS2 + GBA was not. If you think of Nintendo as an AND company they work but not AND plus. In other words most gamers will buy two machines, the home console of their choice *AND* a Nintendo machine, many will pick the handheld Nintendo over the console Nintendo but most will STILL buy a Nintendo, its the same market. Its the reason why many beg for Nintendo to go 3rd party. Now if all Nintendo is doing is making ONE machine that plays all of their games, and it follows the same pattern as the handheld, as in exclusive versions of games that fit the on the go lifestyle but feature just enough of the core game to keep you interested, it will still sell like mad. It just will.

Until this generation Nintendo's entire market share, console + handheld, has increased every generation, while the Home console market decreases the handheld typically increases enough to make up for those loses, or they remain relatively steady. By my numbers if you look at every generation there has always been a core base of about 90 million Nintendo gamers, but that number is usually split between two machines. So to the 3rd party developer its a gamble where to put the games. But a combined 90 million with a clear message and specs that developers can get behind will get the games.

Will it have the same Tomb Raider as the other two? No, I hope not, I have a PS4 for that. Most people do, or an Xbox 1. It will have its very own exclusive Tomb Raider that is tailor made for the Nintendo play style.
This didn't work as well for Wii because it wasn't just under powered, it was a whole generation behind in screen tech, as in it  was SD when the entire world was HD. This will be HD, this will be powerful enough to run the mobile versions of games that companies will gamble on because their cheaper to make, this will attract the same gamers every Nintendo generation does and it will have an exclusive library that has similar games to the other two but different enough that it will be a must own for everyone, as in literally ever gamer out there is a potential customer because it serves all the bases.

The Nintendo only handheld gamer will buy this thing.
The Nintendo only console gamer will buy this thing.
The Other console + Nintendo console gamer will buy this thing.
The Other console + Nintendo handheld gamer will buy this thing.
The PC gamer + Nintendo handheld gamer will buy this thing.
The PC gamer + Nintendo console gamer will buy this thing.
Plus this has the added bonus that if it has the right apps, which I suspect it will, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and a workable web browser, this will also steal market share from the Kindle Fire and other gaming tablet gamers as well.

This thing has the potential to sell in the 200 million numbers. Am I being overly optimistic? No, I think that what you will see is this will to everyone from past generations especially once they get their hands on the games. Will this be anyones ONLY system, sure the Nintendo only gamer who buys both the console and the handheld, which is the core userbase, that core userbase is about 55 million standard, as in Nintendo is sitting on 55 million people who will buy this no matter what, the rest only need a small push, games and a fair price.

If you look at this as a PS4 that plays PS4 level games it looks bad, it looks gimped, it looks missing features. But compare this to an iPad. Not a PS4 and iPad. That is what this is, Nintendo's iPad. THAT should have everyone more excited than this. Does the iPad support SD cards? No, it relies exclusively on usually 32GB storage and the cloud, and yet it has no trouble selling to the masses.
This solves all the problems of that. iPad is digital only so it has storage limitation, this is physical and digital. So look at it this way, if games will come on 16GB pr 32 GB cards, carts, whatever you want to call them, that eliminates the need for a hard drive to install the game, because installs fix the problem of long load times that are NOT present on card systems, so that means mandatory installs are gone.
If you think of this as a tablet, as a replacement for 3DS look at the 3DS model, the games will be smaller versions, they will have good graphics but not home console graphics, gamers will get those on PC, PS4 and Xbox 1 anyways, this machine is a gateway to the Nintendo games and the handheld exclusives that always get made, the Castlevania games that don't get released on the consoles, the Mega Man and Monster Hunter games that don't get released on consoles, also if they market this as a handheld that hooks up to the TV, they can do legal loop holes that allow console exlusives to still come to this, so say FF15 is PS4 exclusive, or whatever game take your pick, Nintendo can, and will, still get a version for the Switch as it isn't a console its a handheld, actually its a tablet so that solves all their problems.

I think the people who do see this are the ones that are excited, the ones that don't are still trying to figure out what this is.
I will predict easily 150 million total sales life time, in 5 years. It might do better but I think that is easily where it will do. This will sit in the SAME homes as PS4, PC, and XBox consoles so its not  just another Nintendo home console that won't sell, its a Nintendo brand iPad that plays Mario, Pokeomon, and Monster Hunter, it WILL SELL.

If they botch this and STILL make a separate 3DS successor **** them and boycott this piece of **** and pray they go out of business because that would be a dick move, to give the gaming market EXACTLY what they have been asking for and then say nope sorry just Wii U 2.0. The people that see this as a reverse Wii U, I think, are missing a piece of the equation. Maybe I am a nut with no idea what I am talking about, who knows, but I am not looking at this as a Wii U that I can take on the go. I am looking at this as an iPad that plays Nintendo games and can turn into a Wii U or a 3DS and as long as it is priced fair its going to sell as fast as they can make them, its going to sell faster than they can make them but that's another discussion.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »
Hurray for walls of text!  It's fun to read and well thought out.

I agree that the main issue with perception comes from seeing this as a weak console rather than a forward-thinking mobile device.  At the same time, I disagree that this isn't a "reverse Wii U."  To me, this is what they had in mind with the Wii U concept, but were unable to achieve.  They finally gave a dominant company (NVidia) control over most aspects of the hardware, and it looks like it is going to pay off.

I still mourn Nintendo's exit from the bigger production values of a leading console, but the funeral was a couple years ago and I am ready to give this new concept a chance.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »
I get what you are saying but I think you are missing the point entirely.

Let me try it this way. Did the GBA get current ports of PS2 games? Yes, it very much did.

If they botch this and STILL make a separate 3DS successor **** them and boycott this piece of **** and pray they go out of business because that would be a dick move, to give the gaming market EXACTLY what they have been asking for and then say nope sorry just Wii U 2.0. The people that see this as a reverse Wii U, I think, are missing a piece of the equation. Maybe I am a nut with no idea what I am talking about, who knows, but I am not looking at this as a Wii U that I can take on the go. I am looking at this as an iPad that plays Nintendo games and can turn into a Wii U or a 3DS and as long as it is priced fair its going to sell as fast as they can make them, its going to sell faster than they can make them but that's another discussion.

I think you do get what I'm saying, especially in your last paragraph. I believe I covered everything you mentioned when I referred to the type of support Switch is likely to receive: handheld, mobile, and portable. I think they will find dwindling amounts of handheld support because developing for the 3DS proved to be too expensive for most 3rd parties, hence no Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, or Battlefield, etc. Getting closer to XB1 and PS4 is only going to be more expensive unless they can stay near enough to those platforms that porting is super cheap and easy to do. Once publishers see it as a significant monetary investment, you will see them turn a blind eye to supporting older technology (see: PS3, X360, Wii U). Mobile is an interesting market as the tech remains current enough to support current assets but the game design is so basic and shallow that the games cost very little to produce while offering a safe ROI through ads and micro-transactions. The only way I see such mobile support finding its way onto the Switch is if Android is at the heart of this machine OR Nintendo offers a very easy method to port the software and ads/micro-transactions are welcome.

I stand by my growing disappointment in this "home console first" game machine, because I don't think it will keep pace with even the first iteration XB1 or PS4. I see this machine arriving to market with an initial wave of 3rd party support followed by a potentially long and maybe never-ending third party drought. Only if Nintendo intends to sell the Switch to Pokemon fans will I see this platform having a second and maybe third wind. This would mean, of course, killing the 3DS brand--I'm just not so sure that Nintendo is so sold on the Switch that they are confident enough to kill the 3DS. We all wondered why NS details were sparse to non-existent, well wonder no further than the 3DS whose sales stand to suffer immensely once the NS begins dominating Nintendo news. This Christmas is all about the 3DS. The Switch can go ---- itself till next January.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »
Don't be fooled. It's a Home Portable.

Nintendo is using this to slide kick the Wii U out of everyone's consciousness and retail space. At the same time not wanting to pre-maturely pull the rug out from underneath the 3DS.

If this takes off, the the 3DS will slowly be phased out, and what will likely happen somewhere down the line, is there will be a new more powerful Home Console that uses the same cartridges, isn't portable, but also works as a charging dock and instant TV out for your Switch. [queue up my old hybrid ideas from however many years ago that was ;)]

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2016, 11:56:51 PM »
I skipped the Wii U, and if Nintendo wants me to think about the Switch it needs to deliver a comprehensive product.  Something that as an older NINTENDO FAN, I will be happy with.  The Switch seems to have the components I want...but the price, the power, the games how Nintendo decides to handle the Virtual Console, all of that is important to me.

So let's see what Nintendo does...and if it is great I will buy it.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:24 AM »
What I think some of this speculation about the Home/Portable question misses is that Nintendo's not going to be able to magic up some 4DS device out of thin air should the Switch flop. These things are in development pretty much from the moment the previous console releases. They'd have to be knee-deep in 4DS R&D already to plausibly have something ready to roll in 2018 to replace the Switch. And they'd have to call it on the Switch after Christmas 2017, less than a year after launch.

So, I'm skeptical. I think if the Switch crashes and burns it's going to lead to a pretty massive corporate shake-up and priority shift. Alternatively, they may not be in a position to let the Switch fail, which could lead to another Gamecube generation.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2016, 12:37:59 AM »
It'd be a real mistake to release a 3DS successor anytime soon. In fact, the only thing they should release if they really want to is a slicker 3DS that is compatible as a controller for the Switch, and possible Wii U compatibility controller. That's it.

It's all about the switch now. Nintendo cannot afford two terrible console offerings in a row. It'll tank their stock. They need to focus all their effort on making it popular. This is only the beginning of the switch line after all, and will likely continue to get upgrades in the same vein as the DS and 3DS.

This is a strategy that will always put a focus on their hardware efforts as they become better, slicker hybrid consoles. While other consoles will focus on VR and prettier graphics, Nintendo is free to reign in the space between a console and a cell phone alone, churning out games that rival both sides.

And that's ultimately why this strategy will work. Nintendo will be able to bring together all their resources to one machine while they wait for other console manufacturers and indie developers to innovate in each tighter, more aggressive space; because unless it's raw graphical output, Nintendo can always add the capability to their system with a software update after the fact.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:39:54 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2016, 01:30:44 AM »
These are some interesting ideas. I would like to see Nintendo do something truly amazing. Even though I'm down on what they've shown of the Switch, I do think the best is still to come with their full reveal in January. I'm sure they have some more cool features. Maybe Cloud saves so you can drop a game from your Switch and download another from your library along with you save files. Personally, I'm holding out hope for 3DS games from day-1 plus an extensive back catalog of GBA, GameCube, and DS games--no more trickling of old games, please, just give us the goods in batches of 8 or more every couple of weeks.

Even though I'm underwhelmed so far, there's a lot Nintendo can do right with their SaaS that would win me over. Even if they finally got the online stuff right and had a huge initial offering of back catalog games from day-1, I think I'd be sold.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2016, 02:33:46 AM »
No it will not be current enough to do the exact same games PS4 does at the exact same level of tech, but that is the point, these will not be the exact same versions of those games they will be completely tailored to this play style.

Will it have the same Tomb Raider as the other two? No, I hope not, I have a PS4 for that. Most people do, or an Xbox 1. It will have its very own exclusive Tomb Raider that is tailor made for the Nintendo play style.

This is doing a fantastic job of destroying my enthusiasm for the Switch.  "Nintendo tailored" third party games are ****.  That drove me up the wall with the Wii - give the PS360 owners the REAL game while some the B team pumps out some dumbed down nonsense for the Nintendo audience.  If it works like this we'll get some shovelware spin-offs at first and then those wont' sell for obvious reasons and we'll be right back to nothing but first party games.

I'll want to replace the 3DS anyway but then the Switch has to get the sort of third party games that the 3DS gets, if those types of games even get made anymore as they tend to be quirky smaller budget Japanese games.  But then the price matters a lot more to me then it does if it actually pulls of the hybrid concept.  If it's getting decent third party support on the console front while being a good 3DS successor then the price can be higher.  If a PS4 or XB1 purchase is still essentially mandatory to get a proper console experience then it has to be real cheap.

But then a game like Persona V was made for the PS4 and PS3 so why couldn't it show up on the Switch?  Or something like Dragon Quest Builders was also on the Vita so why wouldn't it work?  The Switch could easily get games like that without it being some Nintendo tailored title.  It could be the same title but maybe it doesn't look quite as nice.  I would be sold on the Switch if I get most of the same games the other consoles get and maybe they don't look quite as nice but that's acceptable to achieve portability and then I get Nintendo first party games as well.