Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 137  (Read 13956 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 137
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »
I don't know if any of the crew are going to buy the NPC games.  I'm not interested in paying $30 for games I already own or intentionally passed up last time around.  It's a nice option for people who missed the GameCube era, I suppose.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »
So yeah, in closing, I do like Nintendo. There are just things about the way they operate that I disagree with, is all.
This....isn't....HAPPENING!....

**FLASH**

...in closing, Nintendo sucks. (*Head and arms fall off*)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »
Without turning this into a completely different discussion, I'll just say that I don't mean to be completely negative - I'm just of the opinion that Nintendo could be doing more in certain areas without compromising their new market. It's something that often came up during my stint on the show. I'm just naturally critical of things I like (in this case, the Big N). If this was Radio Free Microsoft, I'd have an entirely different basket of complaints.

Still, I'd like to think that I'm not centered on pointing out flaws. Even as I slighted Eternal Darkness for not being what I was looking for, I pointed out that I knew exactly why people enjoyed it so much, and that I still respected the effort.

So yeah, in closing, I do like Nintendo. There are just things about the way they operate that I disagree with, is all.

I understand where you are coming from. You care about Nintendo enough to point out their flaws. I would be rather disappointed if those I valued as true friends never pointed out my flaws and offered ways I could improve for the better. How does the quote go; 'beware the compliments of an enemy, but you can trust a wound from a friend' ? I think a similar thing applies to you in this regard, Karl. You are a friend of Nintendo so criticisms from you can be trusted as you desire the company to succeed. Not everything Nintendo does is a bed of roses. They make a number of mistakes as well, as they have admitted on numerous occasions.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:18:18 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 03:33:21 AM »
They make a number of mistakes as well, as they have admitted on numerous occasions.
Really? They have? Where? I don’t recall ever hearing them say “Yeah, sorry about using cartridges with the Nintendo 64, that was a mistake. Boy, were we wrong on that one OMGLOLBBQ!!!â€

Anyways, I myself have been fairly critical of Nintendo lately because they’ve made some decisions which I don’t agree with. However, I’ve been trying to change this about myself because all of this negatively towards Nintendo is destroying my enjoyment of their games.

It's too bad I don't have the time to listen to these podcasts because they seem like they would be very interesting.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »
They make a number of mistakes as well, as they have admitted on numerous occasions.
Really? They have? Where? I don’t recall ever hearing them say “Yeah, sorry about using cartridges with the Nintendo 64, that was a mistake. Boy, were we wrong on that one OMGLOLBBQ!!!â€
E3 2008, nuff said.

My Game Collection

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
It's too bad I don't have the time to listen to these podcasts because they seem like they would be very interesting.

You could always burn them to CD and listen to them to the car in your morning commute.  Granted, it might take you a few days to get through one, but that's probably my favorite place to listen to podcasts.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
You could always burn them to CD and listen to them to the car in your morning commute.
Would that I could, but unfortunately I have neither a CD-burner nor a CD-player in my car.
Perhaps I could figure something else out though, involving multi-tasking at my PC...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
If you have an MP3 player you could get one of those FM transmitters that puts your music on an FM band so that your car radio could pick it up. I do that a lot when I'm driving and I have podcasts.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 06:14:42 PM »
Hm. I don't have a CD-burner or a CD player in my car, do you honestly expect me to own something like an MP3 player? Next you've going to ask me if I have one of them new-fangled shiny disc movie players...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 06:26:24 PM »
Hm. I don't have a CD-burner or a CD player in my car, do you honestly expect me to own something like an MP3 player? Next you've going to ask me if I have one of them new-fangled shiny disc movie players...

You can get a cheap MP3 player at Wal-Mart. I don't own a DVD player either, unless you count my computer and my PS2 Slim.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
You can get a cheap MP3 player for less than $30 (when I bought Super Mario Galaxy on launch day from Toys R Us, I got a $25 gift card for free and used it to buy a cheap MP3 player they sold).

Johnny, I agree for most of the games. Of the currently announced NPC games, I am interested in the Pikmin games and the first Metroid Prime and might get those.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 06:35:32 PM »
I never listen to music because there's nothing I'm into, and having an MP3 player just for these podcasts probably wouldn't be worth it. Or would it? They do seem awesome...

Also I don't shop at Wal*Mart for various reasons, mostly their prices aren't as low as they say.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »
Depending on how many podcasts you listen to and how much time you are on the road or at a boring job it could be a great investment. The only reason I retained a small amount of my sanity last Summer working 10-hour graveyard nights alone was my iPod and the host of podcasts I D/L'd. The RFN crew helped me through a dark time...get it? Dark? I worked nights?...I know, it was lame, I'll shut up now.  :-[
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:08 PM »
I listen to over 30 different podcasts/vodcasts, so it's worth it to me. Here is a 4GB MP3 player for $22.88 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00134VVKU?tag=spyke-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00134VVKU&adid=0ATSJ0847A6CACWKFSNM&
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 11:11:51 AM »

No CD Player in your car?  Wowsers.

Well, do you have a tape deck?  If you have that, you can pick up one of those "tape adapters" (like such) to go along with your cheap MP3 player.  They work far better than FM Transmitters, in my opinion.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 05:07:20 PM »
If you ask them nicely they will provide a transcript ;)

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
I'm behind on podcasts, so forgive the late comments.

Eternal Darkness' environments made up one of my favorite parts of the game. Seeing how the recurring locales changed was really neat. It would be cool to see that worked into another game.

I agree with Jonny and co. about the game being on a "true" adult level. I'd love more "grown-up" games with stories and content that only an adult could appreciate. I used to enjoy gratuitous violence and gore in my games, but now it's almost a turn-off.

I didn't replay ED for this edition of RetroActive, but listening to the podcast has reminded me how much great stuff was in the game. (No wonder I bothered to play through it all three times when it came out...)

Oh, and the added insanity effects were an awesome touch - they really had me for a minute, there!

P.S. Holy shiz I remember Hercules in NY. I think it was on TV or something years ago. Terrible.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »
I've been listening to all the podcasts in reverse. Just got to this one. Damn--Johnny called my review OUT. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this game, brother. :-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.