Author Topic: Episode 297: Hippy Shows  (Read 24234 times)

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 297: Hippy Shows
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 04:53:28 AM »
Was it actually confirmed by Nintendo that they cut a couple of dungeons from Wind Waker?  I've read that for years, but wasn't sure if it was true or not.  If it is, then I would welcome a Wind Waker HD release that added back content originally planned for the game.  A simple up-res port is not that interesting to me personally.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 09:00:16 AM »
@well, mostly everyone

I can't believe my (virtual) ears.  Doesn't everyone break out the pitchforks and torches when Nintendo remakes/releases old games?  Doesn't everyone get all pissy when any platform's launch line-up largely (and, in that case, sensibly) consists of remakes/ports?

Plus, unless the remake is truly lazy (which, granted, many are) that means resources are taken away from what would otherwise be a new game.

Nintendo seems to be the only publisher these days who has trouble releasing new games along with the ports/remakes.

Personally, I like the HD remakes, especially Sony's since (for the most part) the games being "remade" are games I didn't play last gen like Jak & Daxter; Ico; Ratchet & Clank; Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath; the God of War PSP games; etc.  And even in the case of games I did play last-gen, getting to play those in a fashion that doesn't look like a blurry, jagged mess on my HD TV is very nice, as are the occasional extras and achievements that get included on those collections.  Plus, in the case of games like Shadow of the Colossus, the "remakes" allow developers to make their games more playable on more modern consoles that can actually run them better.

I would be fine with Nintendo putting out HD Collections of their own on par with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, so long as those are merely complements to a robust lineup of new software.  And considering all the teams Nintendo has working on games, I don't see why they couldn't.  But then again, I've never understood why Nintendo has been so reluctant to releasing content on their Virtual Console services in the last few years, either.

EDIT: And that's something else, actually: if Nintendo does "HD remakes" of their own, they need to be "Collections" of multiple games rather than "$40 for Ocarina of Time or Star Fox 64" like we saw on 3DS.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:09:00 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
People can't really easily play NiGHTS on Saturn. That HD port/remake/whatever-it-is is totally warranted. I know I'm excited to actually have an opportunity to play a great game on a system I never owned.

I'd much rather prefer a new game of course, but as long as the ports/remakes are well done, I have no issue with bringing out a classic for a new audience. Or giving me an excuse to replay an old game with shiny new graphics.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
Agreed that Nights especially is in that group due for the hirez treatments.
Personally I dont have issue with these projects since they generally (in addition to some very good reasons already given) serve a certain market that desires to relive and replay classic experiences as well as allows a publisher to reintroduce and gauge interest in a dormant franchise.

In the case of Sega in particular I am happy they are still taking smaller initiatives such as this after all the Doom and gloom recently surrounding their operations. For a while there they had me thinking they would only support a small handful of proven cash cows.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
The Whole Saturn Line-up is hard to play and I have a Saturn, that I never hooked up because I couldn't find non-sports games.

Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS be a big deal for me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
I'll echo the other comments and say great job you guys (you too Guillaume  ;) )!

James, how cool you found those old Game Boy games. I enjoyed hearing you talk about Kid Dracula. After seeing it in Nintendo Power I always wanted to play it but never did. I would love to see it on the VC.
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kid Dracula showed up on the VC.  It's not any more niche than Sword of Hope II or a handful of other gameboy games that have already come out on the service.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I would expect Nintendo to release Gamecube games as downloadable for Wii U as direct ports, nothing more, nothing less.  I know they have done much more with the 3DS OOT & Starfox 64 ports, but as someone has already touched here, their primary goal with ports may be more about giving accessibility to prior generation games moreso than improving on the original product, and I bet the price point of a straight port would be much more attractive than an HD update/remake.

Agree with the sentiment that Nintendo remakes aren't my personal preference.  Not that certain ones wouldn't be appreciated, but to me they would be more a complimentary pro to having the Wii U than a reason to purchase one.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I would expect Nintendo to release Gamecube games as downloadable for Wii U as direct ports, nothing more, nothing less.
So F-Zero will restart for no reason and Metroid Prime will go all weird artifacty for that authentic GCN feel?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I would expect Nintendo to release Gamecube games as downloadable for Wii U as direct ports, nothing more, nothing less.
So F-Zero will restart for no reason and Metroid Prime will go all weird artifacty for that authentic GCN feel?

Metroid Prime isn't something I can comment on, as i've never played anything from that series, but I can say that I've logged dozens of hours in F-Zero GX and have never had that issue with it.

My take-home point is that it seems that as of late Nintendo seems to have made focus of their decisions based on improving shareholder confidence (2 2D Mario Platformers in one year?).  To me, it would make more sense to expand the Wii U's version of virtual console to include Gamecube games and give the same treatment that they gave Nintendo 64, SNES, & NES games.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:15:59 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

Metroid Prime isn't something I can comment on, as i've never played anything from that series, but I can say that I've logged dozens of hours in F-Zero GX and have never had that issue with it.
On My Cube it was so bad that I rarely ever completed a full race.  Though Mine also had a problem with Battalion Wars at times.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »

On My Cube it was so bad that I rarely ever completed a full race.  Though Mine also had a problem with Battalion Wars at times.

That's too bad.  GX is definitely my favorite of the series.  Does it work ok on the Wii?

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »

F-Zero doesn't play nice with non-nintendo controllers or memory cards; I think Battalion Wars had the same problem.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

F-Zero doesn't play nice with non-nintendo controllers or memory cards; I think Battalion Wars had the same problem.
My Wavebirds and Stock Nintendo Memcard would like a word with you.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2012, 07:12:42 AM »

My take-home point is that it seems that as of late Nintendo seems to have made focus of their decisions based on improving shareholder confidence (2 2D Mario Platformers in one year?).  To me, it would make more sense to expand the Wii U's version of virtual console to include Gamecube games and give the same treatment that they gave Nintendo 64, SNES, & NES games.

I think they should do both :)
The 2-D Mario games are for driving overall revenue, so those were always incoming. The GC downloads have got to be on the horizon...now that the silly download limit is removed with the advent of dl retail titles, GC games can reasonably be sold for $15-20. Or hell, slap on some network play to GX or Blue Storm and charge $25 :p

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:49 AM »
Recently a friend of mine was tickled pink that NiGHTS into Dreams was getting an HD remake.  Now, I looooove that franchise.  But, when I heard that news it was met with an overwhelming *yaaawn*.  I don't want SEGA to spend time making HD assets for a game that is still perfectly enjoyable on the flippin' Sega Saturn.

Sorry, the following is a bit ranty.

I love NiGHTS and I still have it on my Saturn. What is not perfectly enjoyable is how Saturn games look on a new telly. What is even less enjoyable is setting up my Saturn and untangling all those cables as I don't have the space to keep more then 2 consoles set up at a time. So I would love a PSN HD remake of NiGHTS. Sadly I only play portable games these days so I won't be getting it. I wish it was coming to the 3DS.

Which is why I love portable remakes! This is the only way I will replay many of my favourite old games or play classics I missed.

AND FINALLY IN DEFENSE OF REMAKES:
Remakes make money for devs and publishers (or at least that is the idea). These companies need profits to survive and continue to make games, which I want them to do. There are plenty of new games if you don't want to buy a remake (unless it's a console launch of course, and even then you can always wait a few months).
It always bugs me in any industry when people expect main stream house hold names to operate like artistic, experimental indies. Successful indies are hugely influential on mainstream brands, they all have their place.
All I ask is that the products I pay for do not suck.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23:04 AM »

My Wavebirds and Stock Nintendo Memcard would like a word with you.

Ditto.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
Recently a friend of mine was tickled pink that NiGHTS into Dreams was getting an HD remake.  Now, I looooove that franchise.  But, when I heard that news it was met with an overwhelming *yaaawn*.  I don't want SEGA to spend time making HD assets for a game that is still perfectly enjoyable on the flippin' Sega Saturn.
AND FINALLY IN DEFENSE OF REMAKES:
Remakes make money for devs and publishers (or at least that is the idea). These companies need profits to survive and continue to make games, which I want them to do. There are plenty of new games if you don't want to buy a remake (unless it's a console launch of course, and even then you can always wait a few months).
It always bugs me in any industry when people expect main stream house hold names to operate like artistic, experimental indies. Successful indies are hugely influential on mainstream brands, they all have their place.
All I ask is that the products I pay for do not suck.

The ultimate defense for remakes...according to market response, Ocarina of Time 3D had some 2.7 million reasons to justify its remakey existence:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45731/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d/
...yes, I know VGchartz is not the most reliable.

Anyway, NinSage, one compromise to keep in mind is that companies don't seem to utilize their prime game-making assets (i.e. their top dev teams) on these remakes. Using the example above, Ocarina was developed by Grezzo, a relatively young but promising dev house. Having outside studios work on smaller projects like a remake/+port has many benefits, from freeing up top dev teams, providing the company a more reliable revenue stream and allowing the company to measure and build a relationship with an outside studio that can perhaps even grow into corporate matrimony one day :)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »
Can the recent Nintendo press release saying Ocarina of Time 3D just crossed 1 million units be the nail in the coffin for VGChartz? They're reporting 1.29 million, which even if Nintendo's numbers are only from the end of June, likely is off. I doubt OoT 3D sold a fifth of its sales in the past month.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »
Can the recent Nintendo press release saying Ocarina of Time 3D just crossed 1 million units be the nail in the coffin for VGChartz? They're reporting 1.29 million, which even if Nintendo's numbers are only from the end of June, likely is off. I doubt OoT 3D sold a fifth of its sales in the past month.

Strangely, they are closer on the overall worldwide sales figure...Nintendo reported 2.61 million units sold as of the end of March so I imagine the ensuing 3 months would bring it quite close to The VGChartz figure.
I have heard an awful lot about the sketchiness of their projections though and wish this could be cleared up. Do we at least know the general range of error on their figures? ...cuz judging by TOoT 3d, a +\- of 20% is not quite gettin 'er done...