Author Topic: Episode 477: This Particular Breed of Funk  (Read 3847 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 477: This Particular Breed of Funk
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »

Funk Taxonomy is more than just my music crew.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42729/episode-477-this-particular-breed-of-funk

Radio Free Nintendo has its full complement of players this week; if only we all had cool things to talk about. Greg, a long-time fan of the Mario & Luigi series, doubles-back to Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. For whatever reason, outside of Europe, the game is simply called "Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam." In a strange sense, it's unclear which region has the bad name; there's only one paper character (making the "Bros." moniker ill-fitting), but the lack of "Bros." may indicate that Nintendo of America hates fraternity. Greg likes the game, but that's significantly less important information. Guillaume remains unable to escape the tendrils of Pocket Card Jockey, presumably still giving his horses terribly offensive names that shame us all. He does manage to find time to re-play Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D, the PC version of the N64 classic. Listen as his precious memories are shattered by the realization that as a younger man he was more willing to forgive a game its sins. Jon is selling himself on eBay, but he also found time to promote his unloading of his Complete in Box GBA collection. If you ever wanted to hear people dissect eBay listings, then we have finally produced your ideal segment. James concludes New Business with a look at Radiohammer, a Korean-developed mobile rhythm game ported to 3DS. An otherwise good game is harmed by a series of mistakes that seem totally unthinkable.

Listener Mail quickly descends into madness. Topics include: game developers making their games for podcasters, licensed nonsense, and forced retirement of Nintendo characters. Corey is definitely in the House this week, and you can send a question to our house via the inbox.

We are going to delay our RetroActive for Castlevania: Rondo of Blood by a week. We just won't be ready next week, so now you have some more time to get involved. Post your thoughts in the talkback thread. We will be doing our segment on Episode 479.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 477: This Particular Breed of Funk
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
Never get tired of staring at Russell Grant's face.

Oh and retire Daisy, at least Waluigi is unique, Daisy is literally Peach in a different coloured dress.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:44:12 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 10:55:21 PM »
Corey is definitely in the House this week, and you can send a question to our house via the inbox.

This can only be a tiding of good things.

EDIT: Loved the discussion on licensed games and retirement.

They can't retire Daisy until they execute my idea of her being in a Wario Ware game where she reveals to Wario and Waluigi (partners in a start up venture) that she is Wa-Peach.

"Did you ever wonder where was Wa-Peach?" Daisy says as she completes her acquisition of Wario and Waluigi's start up.

"Hi, I'm Daisy."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:05:39 AM by Enner »

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:32:58 AM »
I'm glad that Gui has finally reached his Nadir. Now he can reflect, and the healing process can begin as he learns to love video games again.

... maybe.

Those Ecks vs. Sever games are actually better than the movies.... y'know, for a doom style FPS on the GBA.

The reason there's two of them is that the movie kept getting pushed back and back, and the first game came out to promote the movie and they had time and budget to make a second game and release it by the time the DVDs for the movie came out!

As for my crap licenced game that would have been on a console that I'd want? well... it sort of already exists but doesn't?

there was a point before the C&D where this game was going to be at EVO before Super Smash Bros. Melee. and then Hasbro legal got wind of it, and... well.

The gen 4 MLP game is a a town builder freemium garbage timer paywall travesty... and the thing that's insane about this is that actual devs that aren't just fans making fan games have stepped up and said that they would LOVE to play ball with Hasbro and make something people would have actually gave a **** about! I'm pretty sure Wayforward would have made an awesome platformer or something given they got to do Regular Show and Adventure time!

As for the fighting game there that almost was... the source code was quietly leaked to a different team who quietly completed the game and you can play it now.

More importantly, the original dev team ended up getting a tweet by MLP:FIM's Creator, Lauren Faust, who offered to do original character design for them so they could remake their fighting game. Labzero also reached out to them and gave them the LabZero Engine, which is the engine currently powering Skullgirls.

Them's fightin' herds is still in development, but I think they raised something like... $700,000 for their Indiegogo. While the characters are all new, they all do share their fighting styles with the ponies. Arizona the Cow still lassos like Applejack, Velvet the Reindeer still summons magical floating ice hunks that act like Rarity's gems, Pom the sheep's fighting style is still primarily more based on animal helpers than actual fighting, much like with Fluttershy...

so there will be two seperate fighting games, running on two seperate engines with character design done by the same person and that have the same or very similar movesets and systems in place.

as for a character to retire?  I honestly think it's Link. yeah, it's a different incarnation of the same guy, but... I'm tired of Link? he's such a non-character that he kinda just bores me. I think this might stem from being tired of Legend of Zelda in general, but I think maybe the shake-up that Eji Aonuma is looking for might come from the idea of changing the basic idea of what the heroes of these games are? a hero that doesn't use a sword at all, or has like... grappling training and uses the gauntlets as his/her weapon to toss enemies around? Link is just... milqetoast.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:41:11 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
The medals in the Rogue Squadron games were hard to get for sure. I don’t think they are unfair but you do have to replay levels until you figure out the best way and also you improve your skills. It’s a game rooted in the past as far as rankings go and for us gamers that we’ve been playing tons of modern games it’s hard to get the patience to put the time in and get the medals.

Is a game like Castlevania where you can’t fight the controls you have to learn how to use them in the context the game wants you too. Like in Castlevania how you jump and can’t move. So you have to learn to work around it. In rogue squadron it has some things you can and can’t do and you can’t fight it you have to work with it since the game is built around them. I don’t think the controls are bad at all.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
Is a game like Castlevania where you can’t fight the controls you have to learn how to use them in the context the game wants you too. Like in Castlevania how you jump and can’t move. So you have to learn to work around it.

Kobe, why aren't you posting stuff like this in the retroactive thread?!?

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 04:54:40 PM »
Is a game like Castlevania where you can’t fight the controls you have to learn how to use them in the context the game wants you too. Like in Castlevania how you jump and can’t move. So you have to learn to work around it.

Oops i'm sorry. Was I out of topic? My bad.  :'(

I'll go check out the Castlevania thread. In the past 4 months I've passed 8 Castlevanias I had in the back log. lol.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:41 PM »
Pink Gold Princess Wadaisy.  That is a system-selling character right there.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 03:03:34 AM »

Oops i'm sorry. Was I out of topic? My bad.  :'(

I'll go check out the Castlevania thread. In the past 4 months I've passed 8 Castlevanias I had in the back log. lol.

No, you're not! but there's been like... 3 folks talking in that thread and I think that RetroActive is an essential part of the RFN experience that you are missing ouut on!

You seem to be the type of player the thread needs; the type who can beat the game with richter and appreciate all the very subtle control improvements a game like Rondo of Blood brings to the table as far as the belmonts are concerned and a player who can appreciate the nuiances of the level design and talk in detail about them~!

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
Retire the badge arcade bunny. I'd go with Leif or Kicks from New Leaf for a far more defcaffinated experience.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:48:53 PM by rygar »

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 12:01:42 AM »
I didn't think about how it must feel to talk about a game on the podcast and then not have anyone comment on it until Guillaume brought that up. I'd be happy to hear you guys go back to games you've already talked about if you feel like your thoughts on it have changed enough or if you feel like the game itself has given you more to talk about.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »
Regarding Gui's point about determining what to talk about. I would much rather hear someone talk about a game a second time that they've now played extensively rather than a cheap e-shop that was only played to have something new to talk about. Usually if you've played a game extensively it's because you found it enjoyable. Talk about what kept you coming back, how did the ending feel, did it maintain momentum, etc. It's fun listening to someone's enjoyment of a game. So do I want to hear Gui talk one more time about Pocket Card Jockey? YES! It's obvious this game hooked him. I find it much better than listening to impressions after 30 minutes of an eshop title most don't care about, including the person that played it who has to try to rip it for an entertaining segment.

Also, I hope Jon provides further updates of his eBay exeriences related to his games. I find the prices some of these games are now going for fascinating.