Author Topic: Virtual Console Recommendations: A Super, Mega, Fatal Virtual Console Update  (Read 5986 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Two timeless classics and two Neo Geo fighters reawaken NWR's dormant Virtual Console Recommendations.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/vcArt.cfm?artid=16986

This entry of Virtual Console recommendations comes after another long hiatus. It's been a long time coming as most of these games have been on the Wii Shop Channel for a month or, in some cases, many months. Please enjoy our recommendations of some Nintendo system classic alongside some Neo Geo games while we try to get the metaphorical Virtual Console update boat afloat. Once again, if you have any games that you want to hear us write about, feel free to make a comment in the talkback section. See you next time!    

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - SNES

Super Mario RPG  

Cost: 800 Wii Points ($8)
  Players: 1
  Controllers: Wii Classic, GameCube
  ESRB Rating: E
  Released: 05/13/1996

Super Mario RPG is a highly revered Super Nintendo classic and is also the brainchild of Square and Nintendo. Created under the watchful eye of Shigeru Miyamoto, Super Mario RPG mixes Mario's platforming elements with a Square's tried-and-true RPG style. When it was released in 1996, it was well received by critics.  

Recommended for EveryoneThe big question with this game is if it holds up twelve years later. The graphics' poor aging notwithstanding, Super Mario RPG still presents a compelling and welcoming RPG environment. While not as in-depth or long as your Final Fantasies, it is fast-paced and packed with humorous characters and an entertaining plot. In my opinion, Super Mario RPG is one of the premier Super Nintendo games, and it is a relief to have another classic game on Virtual Console. - Neal Ronaghan  

Mega Man 2 - NES

Mega Man 2  

Cost: 500 Wii Points ($5)
  Players: 1
  Controllers: Wii Remote, Wii Classic, GameCube
  ESRB Rating: E (Mild Cartoon Violence)
  Released: 1989

Mega Man 2 is one of the greatest games ever released on the NES, and probably one of the best games ever made, period. The action is roughly similar to its predecessor, yet it feels distinctly different. Notably, the game no longer keeps a running score, and the player is unable to revisit previously-cleared stages.  

Recommended for EveryoneMega Man 2 is largely a benchmark for the rest of the series: Mega Man must defeat eight robot masters before venturing to Dr. Wily’s multi-stage castle.  He gains vehicles upon completing certain stages, which would later be replaced by Rush the dog in subsequent games.  The E-tank is introduced, and the infamous “teleport room” makes its first appearance. The game is more accessible than the original, although a few ridiculously difficult sections are retained for good measure (the “security system” boss, Wily’s final form—save your Bubble Lead!).    

The individual bosses have more personality than in the first game, the level design is absolutely wonderful, and the soundtrack contains the most memorable video game music ever composed. The opening cinematic, coupled with its wonderful score, is worth the $5 alone. Mega Man 2 also features probably the most awesome boss sequence in the history of the series: Robot Dragon! - Zachary Miller  

King of the Monsters – Neo Geo

King of the Monster  

Cost: 900 Wii Points ($9)
  Players: 1-2
  ESRB Rating: E10+ (Fantasy Violence)
  Released:1991

King of the Monsters is an old Neo Geo arcade game that brings to mind the Showa-era Godzilla films. It’s essentially the original daikaiju arcade brawler, featuring six monsters and large cityscapes. The game is 2D, but character sprites have very forgiving damage zones, so two monsters don’t have to be on exactly the same plane to cause damage to each other. Gameplay is extremely sparse—monsters can kick, punch, throw, jump, and use a special attack. Cities are squared off by electric fences, and one of the more ridiculously cheap strategies is to throw your opponent into said fence, then wail on him while he’s knocked down.  

Recommended for Fans The game’s AI is suspect in that its goal is to consume quarters, so opponents will never hesitate to make up any difference in HP with cheap tactics. The city itself hinders your progress, and buildings block your advances (until you crush them), while the military guns you down. Grappling is especially unforgiving, as button-mashing almost never breaks your hold in the later stages. The AI has inherent advantages in this department, because, again, the goal here is to make you empty your wallet. Still, King of the Monsters is a fun romp for the daikaiju fan, and the multiplayer aspect is actually quite entertaining, as the playing field is much more level.    

Like other Neo Geo games on the Wii, King of the Monsters may force you to abandon your component cables (depending on your TV) and switch over to composite, a chore that I’m amazed hasn’t been addressed yet. - Zachary Miller  

Fatal Fury 2 – Neo Geo

Fatal Fury 2  

Cost: 900 Wii Points ($9)
  Players: 1-2
  ESRB Rating: T (Animated Blood and Violence)
  Released:03/1993

Fatal Fury 2 is heavily inspired by Street Fighter 2. It has the same colorful, humorous art style, the same pacing in the battles, and the same overall structure even down to the intermittent bonus levels, in which an object must be destroyed.  Whereas Street Fighter 2 had destructible cars, Fatal Fury simply has destructible stone pillars. Finally, Fatal Fury 2 has a stereotypical character roster including: the Asian karate champion Kim Kadhwan, the American boxer Axel Hawk, and the Spanish bullfighter Lawrence Blood. Even the characters' move sets share many similarities to those found in Capcom's beloved game.  

Recommended for Fans However, Fatal Fury 2 isn't a complete Street Fighter 2 clone. The two-laned battlefields, in which players not only move left and right but also in and out of the picture, works well.  The game also has some beautiful scenery, with plenty of movement going on in the background. Apart from hit detection issues and some moves that are overly powerful (I found that the game can be beaten on a high difficulty level using the same move over and over again), Fatal Fury 2 offers a decent enough alternative to Street Fighter 2. - Lasse Palleson  

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline cdvu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Secret of Mana? That game should definitely get a review. One of the best SNES games of all time.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I take it Secret of Mana is going to be reviewed.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
When going through VC backlog I would give more obscure titles priority.  Mega Man 2 is awesome.  Everyone knows that.  Even though it's fun to read a review of it it isn't necessary.  No one is wondering whether that game is worth downloading.  But with the more obscure titles it's good to have a recomendation.  We want to be able to avoid the crap and check out gems we might not be so familiar with.  Prior to the VC I didn't know squat about the T-16.  When the VC Recommendations were more regular it was like a crash course in non-Nintendo videogame history.  These updates are useful for any fan of retro gaming - including those that want to hunt down the original cartridges.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Wow I agree with you. I am like like you Ian I didn't know anything about the TG-16 before the VC.

Also Knoxxville asked about you.Go check out the hard drive thread in Nintendo Console disscussion.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 03:03:30 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Sorry, I'm still not convinced MM2 is for me.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
So we got a request for Secret of Mana and...?
Any random games anyone's interested in. Maybe along the lines of the aforementioned TG-16 games or some other obscure titles?
It's that time of the set where we take requests.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Shining Force II pls.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Sorry, I'm still not convinced MM2 is for me.

It's five dollars!  What have you got to lose?  Answer: Five dollars.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
I'm not sure I agree with all of the complaints over SMRPG's graphics. They are a relic of its time and as a gaming enthusiast I enjoy seeing games that tried to be more at their time. Now if we want to argue about bad graphics, look no further than FF7 where the graphics are so poor they actually interfere with gameplay. SMRPG didn't have any instances of this IIRC.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Are the people who complain about Mario RPG's graphics (and DKC's) playing on a huge ass HDTV?  Because you have to remember that at the time those games were released it was assumed that you would play them on a smaller TV with regular A/V cables.  The wrong resolution can make any game look like crap.

I find those games still look great to me but I play them with A/V cables on a normal sized TV on the actual SNES.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Rendered games look like crap on any TV.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mega Man 2 is fantastic. I just beat it today.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
My Wife is fantastic. I just beat her today.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I agree 100% with Schadenfreude and DAaaMan64.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Rendered games look like crap on any TV.

Truth.

Also hey NWR, do a review of Cho Aniki. Recommended for everyone.  :-*

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
My respect for Zachary Miller just shot up a full fold for his use of "Showa-era Godzilla films" here.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk