Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3122776 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #2900 on: October 16, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
I saw that a little while ago Luigi Dude. It speaks the truth so beautifully.

Hmm what does everybody think of the software sales.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: October 16, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
It's nice to see that the wii version of Unleashed made it on the top ten.  But no De Blob or Wario Land is depressing.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: October 16, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »
I think we are still early for those Spinzilla

And Unleashed can kiss my ass ;)
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: October 16, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »
I think we are still early for those Spinzilla

And Unleashed can kiss my ass ;)

rofl, I'm not a fan of unleashed but it's just nice to see a 3rd party wii game in the top ten. 
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: October 16, 2008, 09:49:37 PM »
Yeah that is pretty sad.It is like whenever the PS3 and 360 get a price cut or a major game the Wii outsells that system or game.
The people have spoken.

It's pretty clear that at this point, the Wii is servicing a market that the 360 and PS3 have yet to figure out how to penetrate.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2905 on: October 16, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »
That was my point Silks.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: October 16, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »
Wii penetrates. heck ya

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »
Ugh De Blob a big fat flop, Nintendo really are killing gaming. Third parties once again get completely  screwed over for putting effort into a Wii game. You know what this means? Nobody will ever make a good game again.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: October 16, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »
I was at Wal-Mart the other day, and they have the Wii games behind glass right next to the 360 games.  Comparing the two game displays was striking.  The Wii game covers were almost ENTIRELY cartoony.  It was like looking at a lineup sheet for Nickelodeon or something.  The 360 games had your typical sports, FPS, and action/adventure game covers that weren't designed for kid appeal.

If I was a parent of a young child walking into Wal-Mart that knew nothing about gaming and I looked at the 360 games vs. Wii games that Wal-Mart has on display, the Wii selection is the NO-BRAINER choice for a child.  The cover of almost every Wii game they had on the shelf had the same art design as something like Petz Horsez.

That's why Nintendo is cleaning up.  Everything about their console from the controls to the games to the game covers says "buy this for your kid".  To the uninformed masses, that snap judgement is all they need for a purchase.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:55 PM »
The funny thing is that Walmart isn't included in the NPD...

Whoops...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: October 16, 2008, 11:13:21 PM »
WHAT?  Are you serious?  I can't believe that.  They're the biggest retailer in the world!
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: October 16, 2008, 11:18:03 PM »
Well, I made it sound more dramatic than it is...Basically the NPD doesn't get Walmart's figures, so they just sorta "guess" them...

Yeah, I don't have a clue how that works either...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: October 16, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »
Wii controls R the kiddie (I'm teasing).

I think the real reason is people go in and look at 360/PS3 and say "Where is the genre variety?", they look at the Wii and say "OMG which genre should I play today".
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:42:46 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2913 on: October 16, 2008, 11:48:06 PM »
That is a excelent point Golden.
Diversity of software is one of the reasons Wii is ahead.The software is diverse enough that everyone can find something to buy.Where as the PS3/360 are not really diverse.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: October 17, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »
Whenever I see the Wii shelf I think "all these games are ****"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »
Whenever I see the Wii shelf I think "all these games are ****"

But at least it comes in different flavors!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: October 17, 2008, 12:34:28 AM »
De Blob was only out for 7 days before these numbers were recorded. I'm sure it's not going to be a huge seller, but it could be in the top 10 next month, it sure does get plenty of advertising, though almost all of it is on Nickelodeon. Although the Wii version of Force Unleashed sucks (yes, it fucking sucks, it's a PSP game with waggle), I'm glad to see it in the top 10.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: October 17, 2008, 01:25:41 AM »
No unleashed has awesome controls, it's everything else that sucks.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Suemealso

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: October 17, 2008, 01:36:41 AM »
Wii lacks shooters.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: October 17, 2008, 04:40:50 AM »
I don't think the Wii's selection is diverse at all.  Most traditional genres are barely represented.  RPGs? Fighting games?  First-person shooters/adventures?  They don't really exist beyond one or two titles in each genre, and if those titles aren't made by Nintendo then they're probably mediocre.

What the Wii does well are multiplayer games, and I think the game library is highly indicative of that.  There's lots of party games in various guises (and I throw Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl in this category), sports games, and family fare.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: October 17, 2008, 04:58:40 AM »
I don't think the Wii's selection is diverse at all.  Most traditional genres are barely represented.  RPGs? Fighting games? They don't really exist beyond one or two titles in each genre, and if those titles aren't made by Nintendo then they're probably mediocre

To be fair, these genres barely exist at all in this current generation of consoles. 360's leading the way with RPG's, and it has what... five of them? Since 2005? Yeah.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: October 17, 2008, 04:59:41 AM »
The Wii blows away all competition in platformers (PS3's got LittleBigPlanet and 360's got Banjo Kazooie, neither comes anywhere close to Galaxy and they've got nothing in the 2-slot) and it doesn't get any more traditional than that.

Also, I think GP's claim of diversity is talking about games beyond traditional genres and other crazy stuff, the argument being that the 360 and PS3 have nothing but the traditional genres.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: October 17, 2008, 05:19:06 AM »
Wii controls R the kiddie (I'm teasing).

I think the real reason is people go in and look at 360/PS3 and say "Where is the genre variety?", they look at the Wii and say "OMG which genre should I play today".

That's how I look at it, during the buy 2 get 1 free sale at Toys R Us I wanted to get 3 PS3 games and it took me like 40 minutes to pick out what I wanted. So I ended up getting Folklore, Civilization Revolution, Battlefield Bad Company with Wii theres so much varied stuff that I want to try and looks fun.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: October 17, 2008, 07:21:20 AM »
Just to add to Ferny's thing about genres, it's not like fighting games have been well representing either, most aren't doing too well and the two best-selling for the entire generation are Dead of Alive 4 and Super Smash Bros., and since Team Ninja is basically dead now, that really only leaves one relevant fighting game left.

And yet despite all this, it is true that the Wii does have more genre variety. It just has more titles in more genres, either the best in the field or solid entries in their deficits.  There are whole genres that the 360 and especially the PS3 ignore or relegate to "download game" (say it with a sneer).  And as the userbase grows it'll get more, where the other two will refine their games and probably only represent a few genres by the end of it, sorta of like the N64, except without Nintendo's last minute attempts (like Paper Mario and Animal Forest (in Japan))

IT isn't as stark as DS vs. PSP, where the DS has a game for every genre and possibly every profession (doctor to stock trader to bartender), and they are the best in every field, sometimes by default.  While the PSP has it pretty much narrowed down to PS2-port-nobody-bought-the-first-time. spinoff-nobody-really-wants, or original-game-nobody-buys.  It's why the PSP's 2nd redesign probably won't do much.  The DS Lite hit at just the right time with New Super Mario Bros, having a piece of software drive the hardware.  The PSP 3000 just doesn't have a game anybody wants with it, so Sony's resorted to Nintendo-GameCube-style bundling.

But I digressed.  The Wii has the most genres filled and will definitely get more as time goes by and smaller third parties fill the gaps the bigger ones don't want to.  Even RPGs, which the 360 "leads" now, if only because they are willing to shell out more than they are really worth, only to have them flop in Japan and kinda do the same here, and like Ferny said.  Since 2005, there's really only been a handful.  But a crapload of them for the Wii were announced during TGS and you know there will be more, especially as the userbase grows.  It's just what being the market leader entails.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: October 17, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
Also of mention is that the 360 received a price cut last month...Not much good that did it...

THat is because Wii is the true next generation system and people aren't fooled by price drops of last generation systems!

Haha!

You do have a point, though. The PS3 and 360 offer no serious improvements in HOW games are played. The only thing they do is make them look better.
is your sanity...