Author Topic: EA Rebranding "FIFA" Series Beginning In 2023  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
EA Rebranding "FIFA" Series Beginning In 2023
« on: May 10, 2022, 08:31:00 AM »

The mob apparently charges more than EA can stand for naming rights.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/60396/ea-rebranding-fifa-series-beginning-in-2023

This year's FIFA games will be the last to bear the organization's name - at least from Electronic Arts.

In a statement on the EA website, the company confirmed today that starting in 2023, the licensed soccer game will be branded "EA Sports FC". Existing exclusive agreements with top soccer federations (the English Premier League, Germany's Bundesliga, and Italy's Serie A among others) as well as the United States and Canada's top flight, Major League Soccer, will remain in place.

FIFA and EA's partnership in the soccer/football realm dates back to 1993, with the release of FIFA International Soccer for the Genesis / Mega Drive. In recent years, the cost of the license has dramatically increased, with an October 2021 report in the New York Times (possible paywall) claiming FIFA's fee for a World Cup cycle's worth of naming rights being US$1bn - alongside rumors of a possible biennial World Cup rather than the 4 year gap the tournament currently has.

The FIFA series first reached a Nintendo system with 1995's FIFA 96 for the Super Nintendo and Game Boy, and has been a regular release for most Nintendo systems barring the Wii U (a launch day release). In recent years, FIFA titles have been released as "Legacy Editions" on Switch - with updated rosters but the core gameplay of 2018's FIFA 19.

No platforms were identified for the release of the last FIFA game in the EA announcement.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: EA Rebranding \
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »
Now with less Petro money!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Tarasyring

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 12:05:47 PM »
I think this makes sense because they will spend less money on the development of the game, and perhaps then the developers will spend more money on the development of the game itself and its quality. Therefore, I think this is very good news. In addition, I am pleased that recently you can find FIFA games for free on the Internet and use the keys for Fifa to install it on your computer or PlayStation. It is also cool news since licensed versions are very expensive, and it is very unprofitable to spend money on their purchase.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:42:47 AM by Tarasyring »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 02:02:37 PM »
I think this makes sense because they will spend less money on the development of the game, and perhaps then the developers will spend more money on the development of the game itself and its quality.

Your naivete is adorable.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.