Community Forums > Movies & TV

Rate the last movie you've seen

<< < (1173/1309) > >>

nickmitch:
I think we still have a few more summers left in this thing.  Marvel could run out of heroes, but adding Miles, Ms Marvel, Ironheart and whomever else they haven't milked for ether film or TV can breathe some life into it.  However, I could see the returns start to diminish as the characters lose a bit of the cool-factor.  But with (almost?) all the Marvel properties being under one house, the risk of over-saturation is almost gone.  The only real issue is the scale. 1/2 the universe bit the dust in A3, so even if you save them in A4, there's not many places to go.  Other than Skrulls, of course.

oohhboy:
It's not so much they run out of heroes as they can always manufacture more whole cloth and some can pass on their legacy to an understudy. The question is would anyone care? With existing heroes they have a cheat sheet back catalogue of comics to pick and choose character elements from to shorten their introduction. Completely new would require all sorts of investment and build up essentially doubling down on origin stories.

Right now they are dumping a set of completely new characters in China tailored very specifically to their market to the point an outsider would see it as an extremely cynical move. It's a couple steps away from propaganda.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44078700

--- Quote ---Pretty good. Warriors of Three Sovereigns has already been read more than two million times since its release. Cyclone just in at just under 750,000 on NetEase.

"We finally have Chinese superheroes," said one commenter on NetEase. "We've made it."

"Maybe one day they'll be able to fight alongside The Avengers," another added.

For now, the comics are only available in Chinese and on NetEase's Comics website - the online comic platform, which already hosts other Marvel comics including Captain America and Spiderman.

According to a statement by NetEase, the characters are meant to appeal to more than just a Chinese audience, with the company saying it hoped they would "promote the diversity of the Marvel universe."
--- End quote ---

Warriors of Three Sovereigns?! It's a direct reference to Romance of the 3 kingdoms which is one of the few cultural bit of entertainment that is safe to make in China and it is done to death beyond imagination. Imagine if the few media you can make is Sherlock Holmes/Sir Francis Drake and spin-off from it with the same few characters, same sets, props, several dozen times a year while the government dictates the tone so that is the same in every literation.

No other country would say "We've made it" if Marvel made a hero specifically for them as validation of their insecurity or a tick box to prove they are a nation on the world stage. Nobody outside of China would bite. No body imports Chinese media while we do import Bollywood or anywhere else as it is that creatively bankrupt.

Adrock:
Just got back from Deadpool 2. It's better than the first in some ways, worse in others.

Fridging Vanessa is one of the laziest choices the writers could have made which is especially weird since Deadpool jokes about lazy writing at least twice. At the same time, I really liked the "Just fixing the timelines" gag. The movie didn't need to fridge Vanessa to get that scene or line. Reversing it so nonchalantly also robs the movie of its emotional weight though I don't think anyone goes into a Deadpool movie for drama.

Like the first, the writing is uneven at times. It's inexplicable how Cable even knows to question Weasel. Maybe there was a scene cut? The writers have to get Cable to the convoy and kind of cheated to get there. I like the scene itself though. Josh Brolin and T.J. Miller played off each other really well.

Cable's backstory is trite and extremely uninteresting. And if we're to believe that his entire motivation to travel through time is to save his family, I have a really hard time also believing he would assume his family is safe (they could still get murdered in a different way) and that he would give up his chance to see them again to save Deadpool when they could have easily save him. I also don't think Colossus would have stood there and watched Deadpool die. That isn't good writing even if the payoff worked. It felt like five minutes of Deadpool not dying.

I didn't think the profanity was distracting this time. A couple eye rolls from me, but the dialog was a lot stronger in this one. Most of the jokes land, and they don't rely so heavily on pushing that R rating. Deadpool asking Colossus to say "****" was both hilarious and an effective use of profanity.

Some random thoughts

1. Colossus vs. The Juggernaut was a total letdown. I was so pumped for it too.
2. I've never seen or heard of Zazie Beetz before. She is excellent as Domino (and also extremely good looking).
3. Speaking of, I would've liked more Domino though I thought she was handled well. She drops a lot of loaded lines about her past then the movie never pays them off which is fine since Deadpool 2 isn't her movie.
4. I loved the misdirection in the trailer with X-Force. A little disappointed I didn't get more Terry Crews.
5. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got from the mid-credits scene is Deadpool only goes back and saves Peter. The other X-Force members who died are still canonically dead.
6. The X-Men cameo was so good. Chronologically, it doesn't make sense. Deadpool 2 probably takes place in 2018, but I accept it because this is a Deadpool movie. It was a one-off gag and worth the fraction of a second of screen time.
7. CG was not great.

Anyway, I liked it, probably more than the first one.

oohhboy:
I believe the CG itself is another gag. The Domino sequences looks fantastic as hell while DP rips on about how you can't make Luck look good. The C Vs J fight looks poor as it doesn't matter, it's obligatory basically trolling you. When C picks up DP C looks great.

The guy who killed the dog from John Wick does exceptional real action where others get lazy so I am not surprised even if this wasn't a gag CG is his weakness. Even in JW this shows.

I love they spent next to no time on Cable's back story and got right into the meat of him playing terminator. It's KISS. We don't need his genealogy and making yet another origin story would just drag on the movie. I am beyond sick of origin stories. He has secondary motivations leading to why he stays. It's spelled out visually and naturally through the dialogue. Its a gag and a message for us. Who is he is right now is what is important not his future past. Cable knows more than us about time travel(His device can track changes) and the bear is a glaringly bright audience device.

In regards to the end, DP felt he was done which he was and was trying to do or accept throughout the movie. C is that much of a friend. A good chunk of the movie was built to lead up to this moment and how important V is.

The premise you have incorrect. This isn't a comic book movie. It's a DP movie, tightly written and has strong internal logic. If you try to MCU this it doesn't work as it doesn't follow the rules. Once you think along the lines of almost everything is a gag, funny observations of the world, movie making and reflection of audience fatigue it comes together insanely well.

BlackNMild2k1:
Zazie Beats, she is from Atlanta. The Donald Glover/Chidlish Gambino TV Show on FX. Look it up. It's good. Unique. won an award in it's first season.

I'm pretty sure most people haven't heard of her before though.

Colossus vs Juggernaut, I had no idea he was in the movie... I avoided most spoilers, and now that I think about it, I remember there being a spoiler about it, but I either didn't believe it or just plain forgot. Juggs survived though, so it's all good. LOL

I also not sure who from X-Force makes the titled movie though for the same reason you pointed out. it's entirely possible they take the lazy way out, bring them all back like they didn't die, and then DP just calls it out like the audience would, then points out that he eventually went back and saved those he thought were useful... because he can address the audience like that.

and for the X-Men cameo, for as good as it was, they should have mixed both First Class and Original X-Men in the room... just because. Why Not!?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version