Community Forums > Movies & TV

Rate the last movie you've seen

<< < (1093/1309) > >>

nickmitch:
Isn't the Joker voice Zack Galifianakis? I feel like he'd be a better Riddler than Joker.  Or maybe Toyman.

Plugabugz:
So last weekend i binged super hard (making full use of my cinema pass) and watched, over three days:

Hidden Figures
John Wick 2
Moonlight
Fences
The Great Wall

Hidden Figures, Moonlight and Fences all came out here last week. I realise the USA got them much earlier. All three, especially Moonlight, are fantastic films. Janelle Monae was in 2 of them, and she is just a delight (and so is her albums!).

Fences is 2 hours of Denzel and Viola Davis (two of the best actors on screen) absolutely tear it UP! Either one of them can act anyone else off the screen with no effort, but those two are just a force to be reckoned with.

John Wick was a great follow up with a unique twist on its own little universe. I'd have preferred it to be a little shorter, particularly the fight scenes, but it was a great world to jump back into. The scene BNM talks of is... something.

The Great Wall bore a lot of criticism for casting Matt Damon into what appeared to be a "white man saves another culture" like storyline, but in reality it didn't do that. His character stumbles into the events of the story by accident, and is told by other chinese characters that "they work because we trust each other". They even take this even further in the final battle by making him miss the shot, twice, to end the battle, and the chinese general has to do it herself.

But given the three "black movies" i watched over the same weekend, this was a good palate cleanser to turn my brain off to.

I'm coming up to the end of my 12 month period, but Arrival and Moonlight are my 2 favourite movies by a mile.

nickmitch:
Saw three movies today:

Fist Fight:

This movie was pretty damn good.  Charlie Day is a terrific comedic actor and Ice Cube was a fantastic antagonist.  The supporting cast fell a little flat for me though.  For instance, Jillian Bell (Workaholics) kinda stuck to her usual comedic range, which is beginning to feel pretty stale.  And there wasn't much for Tracy Morgan to do other than support Charlie Day's character.  I see this getting a lot of negative reviews, and I don't get why.  It does try to stick to its message,  but it ends up with Charlie Day having a pretty solid character arc, I suppose.  I thought the plot was solid.  A lot happens to the characters, within the short day.  Humor surrounding the students (it's senior prank day) was juvenile, but enjoyable.  Also, not sure why they didn't just call the movie "Teacher Fight" because that's what they keep saying in the film itself.

8.5/10

John Wick 2:

Holy **** was this movie great.  Keanu's acting is meh, but the other characters do a good-enough job of acting around him.  However, I have a thing for action heros who only speak in one-liners, and this one delivers hard.  John Wick seems almost always confused or just reciting codewords, which feels about right.  The action though is great and plentiful.  I enjoyed watching him do some prep and seeing the prep pay off later.  Some action scenes are a bit long (especially one you can see coming from a mile away), but it didn't feel like it dragged the movie much.  One last note: This movie seems to pick right up from the last movie and dovetails into another sequel like the trilogy could just be one long movie.  Hope the 3rd one will be as good.

9.5/10

The Lego Batman Movie:

I went into this movie with some high expectations.  I really liked The Lego Movie and felt the humor really jived with me.  This one, not so much.  It was pretty funny, but maybe my palate wasn't quite cleansed from the last 2 films.  Either way, I loved the callbacks to earlier Batman movies and much of the cameos from other properties.  That part of the movie made it feel really "Lego".  I was mostly "meh" on the plot, especially the ending, but maybe I'll feel better about it accepting as just another interpretation of the character.  Supporting cast is great but limited in value and screen time.  The music is also okay.

7/10

nickmitch:
Saw more movies today.

Hidden Figures:

Janelle Monae's acting was way better than expected.  The acting was top-notch from everyone, in fact.  The Pharrell soundtrack was good, but felt under-utilized.  There are a lot of feel-good moments, which was to be expected.  Story is really great overall, but some scenes felt scattered or rushed.  They were mostly the ones outside of NASA, reflecting the characters' personal lives.  I wish that would've been touched on more.

8.5/10

La La Land:

OMG.  What the hell were people even watching with this movie?  I feel like I went to the wrong film.  The movie basically abandons its own premise of being a musical.  It then turns into a shallow, uninteresting love story spread out between long, jazz interludes.  The jazz music is great.  The John Legend song is also great.  The story was garbage.  The "musical" numbers also sucked, especially the opening number where there's a guy inexplicably doing half-hearted parkour over cars while everyone else is posing on top of the cars.  There was only one scene where there was any conflict whatsoever.  To top it off, the ending just was nonsensical.  I can't believe this is gonna win the Oscar.  Ugh.

5/10

Stratos:

--- Quote from: nickmitch on February 24, 2017, 11:14:15 PM ---La La Land:

OMG.  What the hell were people even watching with this movie?  I feel like I went to the wrong film.  The movie basically abandons its own premise of being a musical.  It then turns into a shallow, uninteresting love story spread out between long, jazz interludes.  The jazz music is great.  The John Legend song is also great.  The story was garbage.  The "musical" numbers also sucked, especially the opening number where there's a guy inexplicably doing half-hearted parkour over cars while everyone else is posing on top of the cars.  There was only one scene where there was any conflict whatsoever.  To top it off, the ending just was nonsensical.  I can't believe this is gonna win the Oscar.  Ugh.

5/10

--- End quote ---

You basically summed up what I got from the trailers and previews I saw, and until your review I was actually considering watching it due to the universal praise it seemed to be getting. You have reentered my lack of a desire to not see the film. My wife and I will probably go see Hidden Figures instead on our next date night to the dollar theater.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version