Author Topic: Metroid Prime Trilogy No Longer Being Distributed  (Read 24001 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime Trilogy No Longer Being Distributed
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »
Only thing I can find on there now is a preorder for Other M.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »
I can follow the link from my order to the entry, where the status has indeed changed to "Currently Unavailable."  Sorry.  I really didn't think they'd be that close to selling out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
They are already selling for $60 new on Amazon associate sites.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2010, 04:23:38 PM »
The Target in my area still had them as of last week. Quite a few. May have to go check that out, as I already off-loaded all my original games in anticipation of getting the trilogy...
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
I can follow the link from my order to the entry, where the status has indeed changed to "Currently Unavailable."  Sorry.  I really didn't think they'd be that close to selling out.

It is likely to remain permanently unavailable.

Now's the time to buy. If you have to resort to buying it used, then do it. Even used copies of this game are going to become increasingly expensive and rarer.
is your sanity...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY

I'm going to buy 100 copies and use it to fund my retirement!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline R4Fusion

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »
Canceling things like this never makes sense, especially when people actually want to buy the game but may not have the funds for it at that particular time. This isn't the first time a company has canceled a game, others have even canceled games and said that they don't sell enough. The real reason is that they don't sell enough because they don't make enough for people to buy. In most cases people are always looking to buy games but they just seem to be sold out. Hmm I wonder how that so many smart people can turn out to be so thoughtless when it comes to situations like this when it's really simple, make more copies and they'll sell more. You can't expect your games to always sell out when there are tons of other games that are a lot more popular or better being released during the same time period, this is a problem UBI had with Beyond Good and Evil.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
In the case of this game, it was always intended to have a limited run. As for other games, shelf space is limited, so newer games have to replace older ones.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2010, 03:33:57 AM »
I still wish they had a way to just make more copies on demand. Imagine if we could still order copies of older games from a special distributor that had all of the data, images, mints and whatever else they needed to just press more discs and print more manuals and boxes. If they streamlined the process enough then it shouldn't be that hard to do.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:14 AM »
I got screwed out of this preorder by GAME twice - it was available for £20! And in stock! But it sold out before i finished preordering so i waited until it became available. The second it did i ran online and got a successful preorder. Then they cancelled it 2 weeks later because it was "out of stock".

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
I still wish they had a way to just make more copies on demand. Imagine if we could still order copies of older games from a special distributor that had all of the data, images, mints and whatever else they needed to just press more discs and print more manuals and boxes. If they streamlined the process enough then it shouldn't be that hard to do.

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of digital distribution, but it would allow companies to continue offering games well past the point where they stop now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2010, 04:53:04 PM »
I know a lot of people don't like the idea of digital distribution, but it would allow companies to continue offering games well past the point where they stop now.

In theory that's true but I think we'll encounter a fair bit of bullshit false scarcity.  A "Limited Edition" is like a little threat that can work pretty well.  Maybe you were debating whether to buy something or not.  The second they indicate that it's available for a limited time you suddenly have this weird pressure to make a decision.  If you don't buy it NOW you might NEVER be able to get it!  That's clever manipulative marketing to get fence-sitters on board.  Disney does it every single time with their video releases.  I think even in a download-only model we'll get limited time releases and such just to get us to buy things we maybe don't really want in a panic.

Atlus' whole business strategy seems to rely on their customers' knowledge that Atlus games have very limited distribution runs so you better get it ASAP!  If the game was as readily available it would remove the aura.  Part of the appeal is in the obscurity.

Metroid Prime Trilogy's limited release was PERFECT.  How many of you who already owned ALL THREE GAMES, which were all playable on your Wii because of the Gamecube backwards compatibility, bought this as well?  The new control schemes for the first two games is somewhat new content but I think a lot of the appeal was that this was a special collector's item.  It came in this great tin and was only available for a limited time.

And that reminds me that not only is scarcity beneficial for creating interest but so are little extras like the tin case MP Trilogy came in.  I figure that even in the future where digital distribution is the norm we'll still get the little collector's editions and such.  Who says you even have to offer a game in digital format if you don't want to?  Sorry, THIS title is of special prestige and will only be available in stores with the special reflective hologram cover and soundtrack.

Digital distribution will not be that easy consumer friendly service we want it to be for a long time.  It will have its share of bullshit.  Hell look at the VC.  Any reason why every game Nintendo could put on there isn't on there?  No, they want to space releases out or keep this one in the vaults so that remake can be made or whatever.  We have the ideal service to sell old console games available RIGHT NOW and yet Square Enix isn't making Chrono Trigger available so they can sell the remake on the DS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »
The only positive about digital distribution is that it will never run out of stock. I don't have a problem with digital distribution in and of itself, I just want it to coexist with physical media.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2010, 12:24:03 AM »
The only positive about digital distribution is that it will never run out of stock. I don't have a problem with digital distribution in and of itself, I just want it to coexist with physical media.

It also has no limitation of shelf space and requires next to no cost to keep something available.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2010, 12:33:59 AM »
The former goes with what I said and the latter doesn't affect consumers.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »
It affects us indirectly; it can make it much easier to find older, obscure games by making it easier and cheaper for publishers to continue to offer them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2010, 07:12:21 PM »
I think that falls under the "Never run out of stock" thing that I mentioned. If you disagree, then I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »
Yeah, I guess it kinda does. You named the end result and I named the factors that led to it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »
I am surprised companies haven't adopted the MOD (manufacturing on demand) model like Amazon has done for some titles. Amazon basically reached a deal with companies like Nickelodeon to release their older shows on DVD (like Rocko's Modern Life). When a customer orders the title, Amazon will manufacture the disc and ship it. Game companies could continue offering their older or more obscure titles this way, it would let someone get the physical game while saving the publisher money by not having to manufacture copies of a game that would just sit in storage.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
Wait, you can get Rocko's Modern Life on DVD from Amazon? Hell yes, I'm totally doing that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2010, 03:05:21 AM »
Wait, you can get Rocko's Modern Life on DVD from Amazon? Hell yes, I'm totally doing that.

They are DVD-Rs sold as "Best Ofs", rather than seasons, but yep they are there...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
Netflix does have the complete first season if you just want to watch the it rather than own it (even on Instant Streaming). But yeah, Amazon has 3 volumes of the show on DVD-R's (since it is cheaper for Amazon to print them on DVD-R's and thus keep the price lower for fans). At least they are here though, I want to get Are You Afraid of the Dark? on DVD, but it is only available in Canada. If I wanted to pay more I guess I could order them from Amazon Canada.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »
I already have all the episodes on my computer; I would have bought the DVDs to have better quality and to own them legitimately, but if it's not the whole series then I'll pass.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »
To make it worse, the reviews on Amazon seem to indicate that these episodes are edited and are not the original versions that aired. Being DVD-R's also means that not all DVD playing devices will be able to play them.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »
Most devices except maybe some of the very earliest shouldn't have a problem.  I'm more concerned with the fact that DVD-Rs will degrade after a few years.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report