Author Topic: Green Day: Rock Band Announced  (Read 10403 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Green Day: Rock Band Announced
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:57 AM »
After an early footage leak, the game is confirmed at the Spike TV VGAs.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20551

Harmonix has announced that the next Rock Band title will be Green Day: Rock Band.  At tonight's Spike TV Video Game Awards, the band themselves announced the game.  A video was shown that featured Rock Band avatars styled as members of the band playing the song "American Idiot", while a "Green Day: Rock Band" logo was displayed.      

Joystiq had stumbled across the video earlier in the day, however it was pulled shortly thereafter.  Speculation that the game would soon be announced was further fueled by GameTrailers TV host Geoff Keighley, who said in a VGA teaser that, "You gotta tune into the VGAs to see the announcement of the next Rock Band game."    

The game will be only the second band-specific Rock Band title, following this year's The Beatles: Rock Band.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Green Day: Rock Band Announced
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:15:50 AM »
Harmonix you make me very, very, very sad right now.

I mean you go from The Beatles to Green Day....... Why there are so, so many better bands than freaking Green Day..... Hundreds of better bands.....

They already have songs in Rock Band.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:25:49 AM »
It's getting harder and harder to argue for the superiority of Harmonix.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 12:49:23 AM »
I'm taking a wait and see approach with this.  If the game is similar in quality to Beatles Rock Band, but with a different band band instead of the Beatles, it'll still be leagues better than stuff like Guitar Hero Van Halen and Guitar Hero Aerosmith, which features tons of music that really doesn't have much at all to do with those bands. 

And yeah, spinoffs like Lego Rock Band and these band specific Rock Band games don't jive with the platform approach that Rock Band 2 took, but I still think that Harmonix delivers a better product than Activision. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 12:53:33 AM »
This is the worst idea ever. The only thing worse would be like The Offspring Rock Band. Green Day has sounded almost exactly the same since 1993, this will be an incredibly boring game that will sell miserably.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:55 AM »
I'm not really a fan of Green Day, but musical taste aside, this project is hard to justify artistically. Green Day just isn't as diverse or historically significant band as The Beatles. We all wondered what band, if any, could follow The Beatles, and I guess this announcement shows that Harmonix has no plans to one-up themselves. I'm sure it will be great for fans of Green Day, but there's nothing anyone could do to make me want this game, and that is the inherent problem with single-band music games.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 03:16:47 AM »
The only band that could follow The Beatles would be Led Zeppelin.  Led Zeppelin: Rock Band would be EPIC.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:46 AM »
The only band that could follow The Beatles would be Led Zeppelin.  Led Zeppelin: Rock Band would be EPIC.

Most definitely. 

But back to Green Day.  I just see these one band games as very silly.  The only audience that will buy them are fans of said band.  However, the vast majority of those fans do not play rock band, and of the ones that do, maybe half will pick up the game.

I for one do kind of like Green Day, and they have definitely changed since 1993.  They've really re-invented themselves in the last few years, which is no easy feat after being irrelevant for so long.  But will I buy this game?  Nahhhh.  Been there, done that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:27:44 PM by D_Average »
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:27 AM »
Ok, their last 2 albums are (a little) different from all the others, though they are very much like each other. Really the only things that has changed are the lyrics and the tempo, everything else is basically four power chords played in secession.

On the other hand, that's a sweet Ultimate Warrior avatar. WHEN THE MOON TURNS BLOOD RED...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »
Aren't one band music games always a bad idea?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »
I am vastly more excited for this than The Beatles: Rock Band. The Beatles are over-rated (it's true), they are OK. I am not a big fan of them. Green Day, on the other hand, has always been one of my favorite bands and I am looking forward to playing all of their songs (if I get the game).

Besides, in the end it doesn't matter. All Rock Band games play the same, the only difference really is the songs (which is why Rock Band games should never even be eligible for Best Gameplay awards).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »
I am looking forward to playing all of their songs (if I get the game and all the DLC).

Fixed.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »
Green Day isn't any where as diverse as The Beatles and they already have music in RB2.

This is going to be just like one of the Activision band specific games. Uninspired because of the source material. Where as The Beatles are one of the most influential bands of all time and have a very diverse catalog of music.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »
Ok, their last 2 albums are (a little) different from all the others, though they are very much like each other.

True.  I was dissapointed with 21st Century as it just sounded like American Idiot Part 2.  Should have just done a double album.

Another oversight by Rock Band on this game is the fact the Green Day RARELY uses guitar solos.  Whats the fun in that?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
Oh man, i can't wait to play power chords on expert!

/facepalm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm somewhat of a Green Day fan (not as much as back in the day) but they really don't deserve their own game. The Beatles is one thing, but Green Day? C'mon! As its been said before, their sound isn't as diverse as The Beatles and Green Day's sound only started to change with their album Warning, and even then it's not vastly different..

Maybe it's just been so long since i've worked at a hot topic, but are Green Day even still popular with the teenie boppers? I never understood why there was so much hype for them when American Idiot was released since the majority of these kids coulnd't even comprehend music when Dookie came out!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »
14 posts later, we can all breathe easy:

*continues waiting*

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 03:41:16 PM »
Well, at least I've heard of Green Day, so they can't be too obscure.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 04:40:43 PM »
And the music genre continues to die.  If you look at the sales of both these series only 2 years ago, and then compare them to what they have now, the drop is ridiculous.  Really now, it's one thing to release a yearly installment of a game, but to release 3-5 different versions of what gameplay wise is the SAME DAMN GAME in a single year is just beyond stupid. 

You think someone at each company would have realized that all this milking was going to destroy each series.  Oh well, in about 5 years both series will be dead because of their stupidity.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »
And the music genre continues to die.  If you look at the sales of both these series only 2 years ago, and then compare them to what they have now, the drop is ridiculous.  Really now, it's one thing to release a yearly installment of a game, but to release 3-5 different versions of what gameplay wise is the SAME DAMN GAME in a single year is just beyond stupid.

Agree. It seems to be a race to see who can milk every last dollar out of the genre ASAP, without regard to what current actions are doing long term for the genre.

Let's face it, though, Activison would have done this anyway. However, the fact that EA/Viacom is as well is speeding up the process. Furthermore, hasn't it been said that Viacom has yet to make a dime of profit from the Rock Band franchise? If so, clearly they should be aware that the current "slash and burn" technique for milking is going to hinder them if they are looking at this like a long term investment.

I do feel for Viacom here, though. Their hands are tied because Activison has a track record for this, and they either "go with the flow" or let Activison milk the genre for themselves. That said though, if they aren't make a profit now, clearly they should be able to forecast that their situation with Rock Band is only going to grow worse with actions like these.

Oh well, in about 5 years both series will be dead because of their stupidity.

I doubt that, I bet one will survive, just it will have about the same relevance that DDR does today if not a little less (although more than the Tony Hawk games do).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »
They've really re-invented themselves in the last few years, which is no easy feat after being irrelevant for so long.

You mean they went from playing bubblegum punk to playing bubblegum punk while wearing lots of eye liner? :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 03:11:48 AM »
They've really re-invented themselves in the last few years, which is no easy feat after being irrelevant for so long.

You mean they went from playing bubblegum punk to playing bubblegum punk while wearing lots of eye liner? :P

Or they went from playing random punk pop, to putting together cohesive albums with a rock opera on tour.

Offline GregLover5000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »
I've already preordered the Mad Katz eye pencil kit.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:42 AM »
GoNintendo reports that it won't have song export options on the Wii.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
I can't tell if that's good or bad..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »
The other day "When I Come Around" was on the radio and I noted to my brother that while I still liked it and thought it was a catchy song, it just didn't do it for me like it did when I was 13.  Back then Dookie was one of my favourite albums and I just identified with it (which is funny because listening the lyrics now I really had no reason to identify with them then or any time).  These days it's one of the few CDs in my collection that sounds dated.

This just shows that when Beatle Rock Band was announced and we all thought that Rock Band was rising about Activision's bullshit and that THIS game was an exception because of the significance of the act involved, that we were wrong.  Rock Band was just doing the same stuff, they just managed to pull of starting their band focused games with the biggest band in the land.

The fad is DONE.  It's all a bunch of product.  They're all corporate.  It'll implode within a year.