Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 128  (Read 11384 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 128
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 12:21:06 PM »
I still hold the Mario Tennis review against you guys.

(full disclosure - I did not know this site existed when that review dropped, but after reading every archived review I was very disappointed when I saw that score)
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GregLover5000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
I haven't read your Mario Tennis: Power Tour review, but I picked it up cheap a couple of years ago and, damn, I'd give Power Tour an 11. (Well, maybe a 9.) That's one little cartridge that far exceeded all my expectations.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »
I hated Power Tour because you couldn't turn off power shots in the story mode. The Game Boy Color Mario Tennis remains to this day as one of my all time favorite games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 03:24:32 AM »
Finally finished the podcast. I assume it is ok for me to recommend games eventhough I am a staff member since I'm a listener.

One question: If its on Virtual Console, is it fair game?

Viewtiful Joe (GC)
Comix Zone (VC)
Kid Chameleon (VC)
Shining Force II (VC)
Dynamite Headdy (VC)
Super Mario RPG (VC)
Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
Timesplitters 2 or 3 (GC)
Sega Soccer Slam (GC)

That's all I can come up with right now.
Of course half that list goes away if Genesis VC games aren't allowed...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 06:50:38 AM »
My iPod the other day suggested Super Monkey Ball (GC).
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
Player One Podcast already does a segment like this called "Game Club" so I would suggest not calling it that. 

Wiiview?
Wiiwind?
Radio Free Backlog?
RFWhen?

Okay, I'm done with the cheesy names.  Here's some game suggestions:

1.  Shining Force II - Genesis.  (VC - 800 points) One of the better 16 bit RPGs (even if Jonny says it's a strategy game) not made by Squeenix on a system that didn't exactly excel in the genre.

2.  Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube (Wii BC) I still don't understand why this game is such a black sheep, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3.  Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening - Gameboy Color (GBA SP BC)  This game is begging for a re-release now that the DS has pretty much fully replaced the GBA.  One of my all time favorite 2D Zelda games, probably better than both of the Oracle games and Minish Cap.

4.  Metroid II: Return of Samus - Gameboy (GBA SP BC)  This game is begging for a reMAKE because every time I try to play it, I find it very difficult to get past the datedness of the game.  It's the only Metroid game I haven't finished.

5.  Pikmin - Gamecube (Wii BC) Let's all get ready for the new Pikmin game by playing the old Pikmin game.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
There are some great suggestions here, so thanks everyone!  And please keep them coming.  In order to expedite this process, I think we're going to just choose the first game (out of your suggestions) and then start a poll here in the forums for the next game.  Relying on a poll for the first game would have pushed the feature back even more, and we want to get started with it sooner than later.  We'll probably set up the poll for game #2 within a couple of days, as soon as we announce which game we'll be playing, so please look out for that and get in your game suggestions soon in order to make the poll deadline.  (If you're late, that's okay too -- there will be more polls!)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 02:34:16 PM »
My vote is for Wave Race 64 for the next topic    8)
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
I don't often read reviews anymore because I feel like there's only a few type of people that review games and they all come from a similar perspective. They're looking for things that I am not necessarily looking for.
As for site reviews no one knows who writes reviews. I sure don't. I just know the review came from a certain site. That's the way most people dig reviews. I don't care what kind of games you guys play and the onus shouldn't be on me to know. I should read the review and get all the info out of it I need. If I wrote reviews I'd come at them from a different angle and it'd be up to me to make sure the reader knew where I was coming from. Wii music has been fun for me every time I've played it, but I've been in the absolute perfect environments for it. It ranks pretty high in my book for what it is.
I do wish 1up as a whole allowed slightly longer reviews, or wrote them better. I love two paragraph reviews, but if they're not informative they're useless. EGM's reviews for anything other than their AAA games were useless and stupid. Sure you had three numbers but what did they mean? I remember reading one review that was two sentences long.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:05 PM »
How about "obsure wii and DS games" that got lost in shuffle or didn't get a lot of exposure. I'd love to see Crimm talk about Baroque and Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 10:00:03 PM »
I've recently decided to go back and replay all the Metroid games in chronological story order. I beat Zero Mission and have the NES Metroid waiting for me on the V. I'd be down to replay Metroid Prime or Metroid II since I got it and a GBA (also DrewMG for a very long time that was the only Metroid game I've ever beaten and yeah I think RFWhen is alright)
II would be down to play anything that came out for the GameCube or N64 because I never had one. The only game I have to suggest is Viewtiful Joe because it's not on VC and I love the hell out of platformers.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics