Author Topic: Disney & Sony make up!! Spider-Man back in the MCU!!!.... For now.  (Read 28608 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Disney & Sony Fighting results in MCU losing Spider-Man!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »
Screw Sony. This whole licensing nightmare was started by their greedy anti-competitive lawyers. Spider-man has been kidnapped again. This is a bad faith transaction. You should never have to license your own character from another company. It's not Disney's fault Marvel and Pixar were able to own at the box office and make them into a powerhouse. People forget Disney was doing poorly right before Pirates of the Caribbean. I remember when Disney had devolved into a shitty Full House quality made for tv movie house.

People think Disney has this crazy monopoly on cinema, but that isn't really true. Comcast and Warner Bros are equally big and people better watch out for Netflix.

CBS and Viacom merged, but I got my money on Netflix buying both up.  Amazon is huge too. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon pulled some **** in the near future.

Lionsgate is a thing. I wouldn't doubt if in the next few years Lionsgate bought out MGM. I was joking(because of the MGM Lion), but then I looked it up and it's in the news

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/lionsgate-still-wants-to-sell-starz-to-cbs-mgm-deal-logical-follow-up.html

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:02:25 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
Screw Sony. This whole licensing nightmare was started by their greedy anti-competitive lawyers. Spider-man has been kidnapped again. This is a bad faith transaction. You should never have to license your own character from another company.

You should have to license your own character from another company when you're so incompetent in the 90s that you sell the rights to them to that company to avoid bankruptcy.

I have no sympathy for Disney on this matter. Disney purchasing Marvel doesn't negate the stupid **** that Marvel did back in the 90s.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 08:19:19 PM »
I would like Spider-Man back in Marvel’s hands because Sony is weirdly creatively bankrupt when it comes to live-action Spider-Man, and I don’t really know if it’s worth seeing the franchise tank for a few years before Sony decides to sell it back. That said, It isn’t Sony’s fault Marvel made a bad deal in the 90s because it grossly misunderstood its own market.

Also, I thought Netflix is losing money. I’d verify that and google it, but 🤷‍♀️
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:21:26 PM by Adrock »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »
ITT: Sony should be rewarded for taking advantage of a company when they were down, but screw Disney for giving Marvel what everyone at the time thought was an insane deal.

Weird.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »
Remember that when Colombia and MGM did the deals with Marvel it was the 80s and Marvel was the little company being ransacked. How about a history lesson.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-mar-02-fi-13115-story.html

Basically a big bully stole Marvels lunch so Marvel became friends with another bully named Disney to even things out.

More complicated. Marvel did a deal with a small studio CarolCo who was purchased by MGM. MGM had complicated film deals with Columbia who is owned by Sony because of James Bond and because Marvel was going out of business after being bought by Toy Biz after the Comic Book Crash of the mid 90s it needed some quick cash. Basically the plotline of Mean Streets. More complicated Marvel was bought out by Roger Cormans company New World which went bankrupt on it's own and IT sold the rights to other companies before selling Marvel off to other people.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:01:24 PM by ThePerm »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »
To be fair, Marvel (and by Marvel, I mean individuals at Marvel who are no longer there) was a huge part of the reason the market crashed in the 90s.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 09:36:33 PM »
To be fair, Marvel (and by Marvel, I mean individuals at Marvel who are no longer there) was a huge part of the reason the market crashed in the 90s.

And on THAT subject, I highly recommend that you check out the extensive 13-part video essay SFDebris did on the death of the Comics Industry in the 90s. It's excellent.

https://sfdebris.com/videos/special/comic.php

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 11:33:23 PM »
Apparently Sony made an official statement

https://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-showdown-sony-releases-an-official-statemen-1837438904/amp

Blame is on Disney not wanting Feige to be spread too thin working on properties that Disney doesn't own (without sufficient compensation).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:38:36 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 12:21:49 AM »
"Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him—including all their newly added Marvel properties—do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue."

Now they're asserting that Marvel Disney doesn't own Spider-man. That could be libelous. That could be something you can sue over. Also, contains an Orwellian narrative trying to minimize Fiege's involvement. Obviously Bullshit. 60% of Spider-man Homecoming's world building was done inside Civil War and End game.  In copyright law film rights are the ability to produce a derivative work based on an Intellectual property. Marvel owns the intellectual property Sony merely has the film rights. They should watch their words. From what I understand is that the wording is "Exclusive License for Film Rights" I don't know if that is the wording for real or not, but that would mean Sony is the only OTHER studio that could make a spider-man film. You don't have to license things to yourself or your subsidiary. Theoretically they could just make their own Spider-man movie.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »
"Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him—including all their newly added Marvel properties—do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue."

Now they're asserting that Marvel Disney doesn't own Spider-man. That could be libelous. That could be something you can sue over. Also, contains an Orwellian narrative trying to minimize Fiege's involvement. Obviously Bullshit. 60% of Spider-man Homecoming's world building was done inside Civil War and End game.  In copyright law film rights are the ability to produce a derivative work based on an Intellectual property. Marvel owns the intellectual property Sony merely has the film rights. They should watch their words. From what I understand is that the wording is "Exclusive License for Film Rights" I don't know if that is the wording for real or not, but that would mean Sony is the only OTHER studio that could make a spider-man film. You don't have to license things to yourself or your subsidiary. Theoretically they could just make their own Spider-man movie.

OK, dude? Simmer down. Sony's clearly referring to the fact that Disney doesn't own the Sony Marvel films, and they're using "IP" as a shorthand. When you're making ME look well-adjusted and tempered by comparison, there's something wrong going on.

If Disney thought they had ANY legal rights to make Spidey films, do you REALLY think they'd be dealing with Sony AT ALL at this point? They're an entertainment juggernaut on the verge of becoming a monopoly (if they aren't one already). They have all the money in the world to have a big legal fight over it if they really wanted to push the issue.

But they aren't, because Marvel in the 90s made some really, REALLY stupid deals to get out of bankruptcy, the kind of deals akin to Harmony Gold essentially buying the Macross worldwide rights in perpetuity back in the 80s (and only recently having to renew them).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2019, 12:48:15 AM »
I really curious what the counter offers from Sony were....

I get that Disney making Sony's highest grossing movie ever gave Disney plenty of reason to want to share in that success and get a fair share of the profits, but at the same time, I believe Disney also got to USE Spider-man in any other of it's MCU movies to which Sony has no share of anything at all.

Maybe increasing that initial share, and increasing the payout at milestones and then a bonus share increase over a certain milestone dollar amount....
I don't really know what the original agreement was, but Disney has to be reasonable in the demand for more shares of the profit (regardless of how much of the work Marvel and Feige are doing for these movies - all of it)
Sony has to realize that while they on good faith can't use the same Spidey in their venomverse while he is actively part of the MCU, they are still literally sitting back and writing a check to Marvel Studios to do a job and then sitting back and watching the profits roll in many times over said investment. the person doing the work wanting extra kickbacks is to be expected.

I've got my fingers crossed that they work something out before the next cameo/movie for Spidey is due to start production. Everything was going so smooth in the MCU too... I guess it had to get a fucked up at some point.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2019, 12:52:49 AM »
So, I'm going to ask one simple question that hasn't been asked yet: does it really MATTER if Feige doesn't executive produce the Sony Spidey films? Producers in general tend to be concerned with the acquisition and allocation of the funds and resources that go into a film. Yeah, they CAN be involved with the more frontline matters like editing and whatnot, but they don't have to be. The big concerns of any film would be the director and writers, who have the most direct impact on the quality of the film's foundation.

So long as Sony continues to keep the same director and writers on staff with these Spidey films, does it really matter if Feige is the producer on them?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:54:28 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 01:16:35 AM »
ummm... yes.

Feige's role in overseeing the projects is what has led to the consistent quality of all the MCU films.
He may not write, direct or act in any of the movies, but I'm sure he is watching over the direction of storytelling and setting up the major outline points for the stories to adhere to.
He consults on all sorts of items related to the characters and their stories, and keeps everything on a path that has obviously led to ridiculously consistent results and crazy record profits.

So, yeah, I think having Feige Exec Prod all the films is quite important.

Now Sony may think that since they've tasted the recipe for a successful Spidey movie, they can venture out on their own and recreate it from scratch just because they have most of all the base ingredients, but Feige is that secret ingredient. Spider-Man: Homeless and Hungry may not turn out that bad, but it'll most likely be missing more than a few things that would have made it special (such as all it's ground up connections to the MCU)

but speaking of all that.... here is an interesting article stating that there was a clause in the Marvel/Sony contract for a Spidey 3 in the MCU should Spider-Man 1 and/or 2 cross the $B mark.
https://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-contract/

sooooo maybe we get a Spidey 3 regardless, and all this negotiation is for contract extension prior to Spider-man getting a script for the third (and possible final) movie

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 03:50:34 AM »

OK, dude? Simmer down. Sony's clearly referring to the fact that Disney doesn't own the Sony Marvel films, and they're using "IP" as a shorthand. When you're making ME look well-adjusted and tempered by comparison, there's something wrong going on.

If Disney thought they had ANY legal rights to make Spidey films, do you REALLY think they'd be dealing with Sony AT ALL at this point? They're an entertainment juggernaut on the verge of becoming a monopoly (if they aren't one already). They have all the money in the world to have a big legal fight over it if they really wanted to push the issue.

But they aren't, because Marvel in the 90s made some really, REALLY stupid deals to get out of bankruptcy, the kind of deals akin to Harmony Gold essentially buying the Macross worldwide rights in perpetuity back in the 80s (and only recently having to renew them).

I think they think it's less worth it to pursue any sort of legal action. Dealing with teams of lawyers sucks. Still, making public statements by any corporation should be looked at by a lawyer. These statements are filled with Orwellian bullshit. Remember Sony is the company that had the fake movie reviewer and tried to steal all the licensing rights from Nintendo(although I largely see these subsidiaries as different agents). I've watched Sony for years and I never appreciated their tactics. You say something enough and people start to believe it.
Sony's statements are nothing but damage control and distancing.

A movie is made up three acts. The first acts of both Marvel Spider-man movies were determined by predecessing MCU movies. Happy Hogan, Tony Stark, Nick Fury, and the Skrulls are MCU characters. Vulture dealt in Chitauri tech. To say Feige had little role in the Homecoming movies is bullshit.

I bet Sony will just reboot. We'll get to see Uncle Ben killed again. They'll finally cram sinister six down everyone's throats. We'll see a solo Doctor Octopus and Green Goblin movies.

Disney is a small company compared to Apple, and Amazon. I think people should remember that. All the things they're doing are things that will keep them afloat in the future. Movies are going to be a small market compared to a lot of other media in the future. They don't have a monopoly. I can still release a market movies without their blessing. There is several other studios in dormancy. I think Time Warner is going to have a big bounceback in the next few years. It's a good thing they aren't battling with other companies over the rights of batman characters.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:42:12 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2019, 09:14:10 AM »
Apparently Sony made an official statement

https://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-showdown-sony-releases-an-official-statemen-1837438904/amp

Blame is on Disney not wanting Feige to be spread too thin working on properties that Disney doesn't own (without sufficient compensation).
Isn’t this... fair? If Sony wanted Disney to look bad here, it’s just as bad at finger-pointing as it is making live-action a Spider-Man films. *self-five*

Sony and Marvel at an impasse. Sony doesn’t have to share Spider-Man or the solo-movie profits, but it’s also shown severe incompetence with the character when left to its own devices. Technically, Sony is playing from a position of power since the rights are in their hands. However, it can’t ignore that Marvel is almost exclusively responsible for its most successful movie. Who needs who more here? I’d argue Sony even though it has every right to protect an asset.

Marvel was doing fine without Spider-Man. Sure, the movies are narratively better with the character and that merch money is nice. Marvel/Disney has shown an uncanny ability to turn C-list and D-list characters into bankable franchises. It also just got the X-Men and Fantastic Four back. Sony, on the other hand, rawdogged its first Spider-Man film series by forcing Sam Raimi to shoehorn Venom then followed that up by rebooting the series only to have Peter Parker dunk a basketball and defeat Electro with dubstep. It’s only a matter of time before Sony executives jack up Into the Spider-Verse.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 01:00:10 PM »
I think the 50/50 financing/profits pitch from Disney isn't so much about the resources of Marvel Studios making movies for Sony, so much as the movies Marvel Studios is making for Sony aren't movies that Disney can add to Disney+ or to the MCU movie package w/o compensating Sony in some way to do it.

If they own 50% of the movie they make, then they can work a deal where it can be added to D+, MCU Disc Sets or whatever else they want to do with it.

As it stands right now, Homecoming and FFH are 100% Sony movies and Disney has no say what can and can't be done with them after they are completed. Disney has no streaming rights to the movies and can't use them to sell D+ subscriptions.

There are tons of people on the internet begging Sony to play nice with Disney and give them what they want, and I get it, because I too want more good Spidey movies mixing it up with my MCU peoples (New Avengers, F4, X-Men, Guardians, etc etc) and possibly even getting a Disney+ show (i wonder if that's a loophole since Sony doesn't own the TV rights...).
But Sony does hold the movie rights, and Marvel/Disney is still getting a lot out of this current arrangement.
- 5% of 1st dollar gross
- paid for production and consulting
- milestone bonuses
- use of Spider-Man in the other MCU movies
- 100% of all merchandise based on anything Spidey, including movie characters.

I get Disney wanting more for use of their resources, but I can just tell this is about more than Feige and Marvel Studios time and resources, this is about the long game streaming rights to the actual movies being made. Disney doesn't want the MCU compromised by Sony constantly dangling Spider-Man rights in their face. If Disney is co-owner of at least the movies being made, this is no longer an issue. That (imo) is why Disney pushed that 50/50 offer to the center of the table and then refused to budge.

I guess we'll just have to see in the end what wins out as most important.
Feige's want and influence to get and keep Spider-Man in the MCU
or Disney's need to control long term rights to the movies they create.

what do you guys think?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 01:14:11 PM »
Marvel/Disney had 100% of the merch rights well before the current deal, having bought them back from Sony in 2011 when Sony was in dire straights due to their, at the time, failing Electronics division.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »
Sony made the right choice to walk away if Disney was proposing a 50/50 split on the movie after their current deal. 

If you take a look at the worldwide box office for ALL the Spider-Man movies half of what Far From Home made is less money for Sony than any other live-action Spider-Man film by a minimum of 200 MILLION. 

I get it, you're a fan and don't care how your Spider-Man stays connected to the MCU or who has to pay for it.  But if i'm going to be forced to root for a multinational corporation in this situation, i'll hope Sony gets a more reasonable deal than that.

It's Disney's own fault for creating the situation, too.  Especially after making Spider-Man such a primary part of Tony Stark's story arc and how they clearly want him as one of the primary figures in the MCU moving forward.  That does nothing but give SONY leverage in negotiations once this original deal expired, because he's perceived as more valuable now given all of this.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »
But if i'm going to be forced to root for a multinational corporation in this situation, i'll hope Sony gets a more reasonable deal than that.
It’s difficult for me to shed a tear for either side. Which billion dollar company will get money? 🤷‍♀️ Marvel made a bad deal in the 90s, and Disney inherited that problem after buying Marvel. Sony likes doing nothing in a group project and getting an A anyway, and it knows how valuable the current deal is because it’s ihavenoideawhatimdoingdog.jpg without Kevin Feige/Marvel. Except Disney knows it too.

I have doubts Disney’s original restructured offer was a serious one. It has wanted the rights back for years, is building toward another proposal buying the rights back, and would be happy to overpay to do so. For Sony, I don’t think there’s been a better time to sell. Drag Disney over the coals, but in the end, sell.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
Yeah, if Sony & Marvel can't work this out, I hope that Sony does rake them over the coals for  while; get some good animated films out while it's still possible (Lord knows Disney isn't making any worthwhile animated films these days, that's for sure); and then sell the rights back for an exhorbitant fee.

I'm not happy with Disney owning everything, but if there's one thing the last 20 years of Spidey have shown, it's that you can only do so many stories with this one set of characters without bringing in the larger Marvel universe. I just want Disney to have to work for it

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2019, 03:59:13 PM »
I just want Disney to have to work for it
What does this mean? How do you want Disney to work for it?

Currently, it is doing all of the work. Sony is reaping the benefits of Marvel’s incompetence 20-some years ago. The only other thing I can think of is pay a fortune to get the rights back which is actually what Disney wants to do.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:00:52 PM by Adrock »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2019, 04:23:59 PM »
I'd love to peer into an alternate universe where Disney bought the Spider-Man rights so many years ago and Marvel remained independent.  Could you imagine all the hate Disney would be getting for "holding Spider-Man hostage"?

Frankly, business or ethics wise, neither company is worth rooting for (story/character wise, Marvel obviously wins), but it's funny to see the anti-Disney crowd latching onto this so vehemently pro-other billion dollar corporation just because they're "not Disney". 

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »
I just want Disney to have to work for it
What does this mean? How do you want Disney to work for it?

By doing more than they are right now in this specific situation, where they are just sitting in the back like Doc Ock sipping tea as their army of bots and sycophants spam twitter with "SAVESPIDEYFROMSONY" hashtags to pin the blame for all this on Sony.

I want them to prove that this universe will function just fine without the biggest remaining recognizable character left in it. I want them to prove that the MCU is more than just a collection of poor-to-spectacularly average movies kept aloft by money; sheer quantity; and fanservice. I want them to show that their Sony-less MCU has such a future that Sony has no bargaining power left.

Frankly, business or ethics wise, neither company is worth rooting for (story/character wise, Marvel obviously wins), but it's funny to see the anti-Disney crowd latching onto this so vehemently pro-other billion dollar corporation just because they're "not Disney". 

Setting aside for a moment that Disney hasn't done much to create the MCU, either (since all the ground work was done by Marvel, and Disney just came by and bought them)..

Hey, when the market consists of pretty much 3 companies (Disney, WB, & Sony) and 1 of them has the overwhelming market share, I'll cheer for the company that can still give the frontrunner a bloody nose. I didn't WANT this situation. "You people" (as in the general sense) did when you cheered on Disney's takeover of the film industry, just because they could watch their favorite multi-million dollar action figures being slapped together.

Seriously, between Angry Joe & Boogie cheering on Disney to now buy Sony, I want to vomit. I also never want to see another article about "gamer entitlement" when these same people are stamping their feet and whining because they MIGHT not see at most 2 more Spidey films in the MCU before Holland is too old or too bored to play the character anymore.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:16:08 PM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
i.e.: "Not Disney".

For all the crying and lamenting over storytelling and expression in media, it really just boils down to "I am edgy because I hate dose mieces to pieces."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
Before Broodwars posts a link, Stan Lee's daughter has weighed in on the Spiderman situation, throwing Disney under the bus: https://www.cnet.com/news/stan-lees-daughter-speaks-out-against-marveldisney-in-spidey-spat/