Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321891 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now you can watch on the GO, no mobile data needed.
« Reply #575 on: February 17, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »
Where the hell am I on that list!?!? Name myself after a He-Man character and be the only one forgotten in a casting call...

somewhere in a corner sobbing to themselves: Man-E-Faces, Ram Man, Mekaneck and Buzz Off
(all toys I had....)

but from what I heard, some of those may be from the cartoon and not from the original toy line the cartoon was based on. (this would be a potential rights issue as the original toy line, and the OG cartoon were made by two different companies)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:58:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 17, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
Somebody named their daughter Harley Quinn for real?  Worst parents evar.
In Kevin Smith’s defense, “Harley Quinn” at least sounds like a real name. If you said the name to someone who didn’t know the character, they may not think twice about it. There are certainly worse celebrity kid’s names in my humble opinion. Smith’s friend and frequent collaborator, Jason Lee, named his son “Pilot Inspektor”. Nicolas Cage named his son “Kal-El”. Penn Jillette named his daughter “Moxie CrimeFighter”. I guess they’re all hoping they’re so famous that no one will mess with their kids.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2020, 06:33:45 PM »
if I were being clever I'd use Arlecchina. 

Also to note. There is a separate DC character named Harlequin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin_(comics)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:38:24 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #578 on: February 17, 2020, 10:01:11 PM »
"Harley Quinn" is pun. He named his daughter after a character who's name is a pun.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 23, 2020, 08:55:17 PM »
Is anyone watching Locke & Key on Netflix?

series based off a graphic novel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EonRi0yQOE

Pretty interesting so far.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:01:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 23, 2020, 09:50:14 PM »
Is anyone watching Locke & Key on Netflix?

series based off a graphic novel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EonRi0yQOE

Pretty interesting so far.

Not yet - but it's on my short-list.  Looked neat; should I take this as a recommendation?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 23, 2020, 11:17:44 PM »
I enjoyed it. The main reason I asked, is because I wanted to talk about it, but not spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet.

there's a few moments where beyond questionable choices/actions are made to move the plot forward in the later episodes, but ultimately I enjoyed it and would tune in for a Season 2 whenever that happens.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:26:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 26, 2020, 11:50:23 PM »
Another friend recommended Locke & Key last night. Definitely on my short-term list, after hearing him talk it up. (He didn't give any specifics at all; just said it was hard not to binge watch the whole thing because it was so much fun, and using Stranger Things as a point of comparison but suggesting his family liked this new show even more).

Semi-related side note: can anyone recommend a few good horror/thriller shows on Netflix?  A coworker loves scary movies, and we're looking for something to watch and chat about.  I'm thinking Haunting of Hill House...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 27, 2020, 01:04:35 AM »
I sometimes check out flixconnection on Youtube for some movie ideas

here's the last horror suggestion vid he did - I haven't viewed it in it's entirety, but it beats endlessly scrolling through hundreds of movies until you forget what you were even looking for anyway and eventually settle on something completely random and hating it or falling asleep because it took you so damn long to find in the first place. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgM6GnJPWtg

having already finished Locke & Key, and almost done with The Messiah
I think the next show on my short list is "I am not ok with this"
https://www.netflix.com/title/80244781?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp  <---direct link to show

I hear it's short, but really good. Also based on a graphic novel.

here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9vp9lhZiqU
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:11:45 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 27, 2020, 06:48:14 AM »
I sometimes check out flixconnection on Youtube for some movie ideas

Worth checking, thanks.

(My problem is that Netflix Canada typically has only a small selection of the movies listed due to regional differences - so at least half of the recommended films will probably be non-options. Still, half a list is a good start!)

Edit: I did start watching Haunting of Hill House last night, and first impressions were really good. The use of shadows and lighting is sublime, there was some creepy out-of-focus stuff in the background at times, and it really felt like there is a bigger story to be told here. Fingers crossed that the series can hold up the early standard, because it left me nicely creeped out by the end of the night.  (The only downside is that this is clearly one you need to pay attention to - sometimes I'll "half watch" movies or shows while doing something else, but that doesn't work here because so much of the atmosphere and little visual clues get lost. Then again, I'm not sure if that's really a problem.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:24:16 AM by ejamer »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
Yes, watch that till the end, and pay attention because there's lots of background stuff that may be called back or relevant later in the season.

edit:
so now that I've finished I Am Not Okay With This....(excellent show BTW) I'm going to need something else new to watch.
doesn't necessarily need to be on Netflix, I also have Prime and Exodus, so really, practically anything is readily available.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:15:07 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 01, 2020, 11:19:28 PM »
Yes, watch that till the end, and pay attention because there's lots of background stuff that may be called back or relevant later in the season.

Oof.  Just watched episode 5, and it was great. This is absolutely top notch ghost story stuff.

Talked to a friend last week who likes horror movies, and she said she wasn't into this series at all - so obviously not everyone will be as into Haunting of Hill House... but I'm fully onboard with where this show is going.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 04, 2020, 12:39:02 AM »
I am not Okay with this was pretty good.

This is the type of content I want my Netflix monthly sub charge going to.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 04, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
Haunting of Hill House ended with a whimper instead of a bang, which was disappointing.  The last half of the series was still good, but not quite the type of experience I had hoped for...  still, the highs were good enough to justify the whole series anyway.

There is apparently a second season (focused on a different haunted house) coming out later this year.
I'll watch when it arrives.

Next up is either Locke & Key or I Am Not Ok With This...  Haven't quite decided which yet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 04, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »
I am not ok with this is only about 3.5hrs worth of content. you can burn through it on a Saturday afternoon.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 07, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
I am not ok with this is only about 3.5hrs worth of content. you can burn through it on a Saturday afternoon.

You were right - short, and pretty good. I Am Not OK With This gets a thumbs-up in my book.

Another Life, on the other hand doesn't. In fact, it gets a flat out "avoid at all costs" rating.  The show seems to have a decent budget, but the writing is Terrible... dialog is weird and stilted most of the time, characters are horribly underdeveloper cliches that continually make nonsensical choices, and the plot is an illogical mess.

That kind of hurts to write. There was potential here, and a good original sci-fi series would've been awesome. Sadly, this show has almost no redeeming value. Take a hard pass.

On the upside, next show up is Locke & Key... which from all accounts should be a pleasant way to wash out the bad taste of Another Life.

Sidenote: Is anyone watching the Castlevania animated series? I rather enjoyed the earlier seasons, so am keen to check out the third season that just got released.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 12, 2020, 09:50:30 PM »
I enjoyed it. The main reason I asked, is because I wanted to talk about it, but not spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet.

there's a few moments where beyond questionable choices/actions are made to move the plot forward in the later episodes, but ultimately I enjoyed it and would tune in for a Season 2 whenever that happens.

So I finished off Locke & Key. It's got a few weak moments... but was really fun overall and I think they pulled off exactly what they wanted with the show. Big thumbs up.

Season 2 might end up being good, or not. Second acts for shows like this are often harder to pull off than the first... but I'd tune in to find out. It feels like they've built a bigger world than what was shown the initial conflict.

Also saw Always Be My Maybe - a romcom that I enjoyed so much that I don't feel bad about admitting to watching it alone at home. It's still a romcom and hits the expected notes, but the jokes hit home in a way that rarely happens with these movies.

Not sure if I can recommend it to people, or if they'll find the little things so funny and familiar like I did... but it gets a huge thumbs from me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:02:28 PM by ejamer »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 22, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
Anybody watch Beastars?

new anime on Netflix, animal class society.
Carnivores and Herbivores, inter-species relationships. It gets into some deep subject matter.
It was actually pretty interesting.

anyway, can someone tell me why I still have a Netflix DVD subscription, and there are 2 DVD's on my tv stand "collecting dust" for who knows how long.

Good thing this crisis got me to shuffle some papers around otherwise I wouldn't have seen them there. I'm about to return them and cancel that subscription. What was I thinking? LOL
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:20:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 01, 2020, 08:59:02 PM »
One of my favorite shows, Community, was added to U.S. Netflix today. It's one of the best written TV comedies ever, and it's perfect for binge watching with lots of layered jokes and callbacks.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 01, 2020, 09:30:00 PM »
One of my favorite shows, Community, was added to U.S. Netflix today. It's one of the best written TV comedies ever, and it's perfect for binge watching with lots of layered jokes and callbacks.

So now they have Community and Arrested Development.
two top tier comedies

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #595 on: April 02, 2020, 08:24:59 AM »
5 seasons and a movie

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 02, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »
I've been meaning to check out Community. I think BnM recommended it to me a while back.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 02, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »
I've tried to get through Community a few times, but it just doesn't click with me. I didn't find it particularly funny. It's like The Big Bang Theory for college slackers.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #598 on: April 02, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »

So now they have Community and Arrested Development.
two top tier comedies

Probably a lot of overlap in those audiences, I would think.  Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it's certainly a good move for Netflix.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »
More content for the audience they already got.
Nothing wrong with that.