Author Topic: Nintendo Adds User IDs Ahead of Switch Release  (Read 4967 times)

Offline SurfingPikachu

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Nintendo Adds User IDs Ahead of Switch Release
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:00 AM »

Grab yours now before ZeldaFan1986 is gone.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/44136/nintendo-adds-user-ids-ahead-of-switch-release

Nintendo quietly added User IDs to their account system over the weekend. Users can now log on to their Nintendo Accounts at any time to claim one.

IDs must be a minimum of six characters and can be edited after you've locked in your initial choice. Better hurry and choose yours now since, as with most online systems, duplicates will not be accepted.

The Nintendo Account system is already confusing as account logins are different from Nintendo Network IDs, and now User IDs have been added to the mix. Currently, IDs can be used as an alternative login for your Nintendo Account, and they have been added below your name and profile picture. This update is presumably tied to the Switch's imminent release on March 3 and could be closely linked to Nintendo's new online service.

Kimberly Keller - Staff Writer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Adds User IDs Ahead of Switch Release
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
Good to know. Looks like I've been able to lock up Khushrenada although it doesn't seem to allow uppercase letters so the look if it bugs me. But my online alter-ego continues and I don't have to think about another identity. Huzzah!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
Yeah, lack of caps feels so informal.

This could be a sign they're moving to a better account system, one that isn't tied to a single console with a convoluted way of transferring it to another. Hopefully that comes true, though it sounds like things may be messy if we're going to have this and still have NNIDs. But I guess moving to something better will have to start out messy.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 05:36:33 PM »
As the user of a four character handle allow me to say that this is crap.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
I can understand that. I've been frustrated from time to time on the opposite side of the scale for when things have a ten character max because I'm short the a at the end of Khushrenada which is annoying. So, I started going with NWR Khush as a way to fit in the limitations and let people identify me hopefully.

Didn't know you were still keeping up with Nintendo stuff, Vudu. Surprised I am.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »
I've run into similar problems with 8-character limits. I guess I can just cut out the spaces then, but I don't like the way that looks. Though, if I use my first name then I guess I should be thankful its spelling makes it 8 characters...

Wow! A vudu sighting!

...Or is that you, Khushrenada? Hard for me to trust some things these days...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 06:06:52 PM »
They should have just integrated the NNIDs into this new setup. Seems like a load of crap.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ForgottenPearl

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I got to just use my Nintendo Network ID to keep things simple.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:54 PM »
I didn't even notice the caps thing because I put "nickmitch" in without them.

At least I get to hang on to this handle because I'm really not as fond of my Xbox handle: "IgobyNick"
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:57:01 PM »
Well, their system is off to a great start, created an account even though I thought I already had a mynintendo account.  Got denied with my user/pass combo... so created a new account... That worked, so I logged out and tried to log back in with the same user/password I just made and it failed.

Great work, great work.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
Also, does anyone know what happened to the old mynintendo accounts... I have an old login that doesn't seem to work.  I remember once typing in a bunch of codes from games... registering my different systems (Gamecube, DS, Wii, etc)

Has that history been nuked with this new system.  It seems like the new accounts are still essentially mynintendo accounts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »
Also, does anyone know what happened to the old mynintendo accounts... I have an old login that doesn't seem to work.  I remember once typing in a bunch of codes from games... registering my different systems (Gamecube, DS, Wii, etc)

Has that history been nuked with this new system.  It seems like the new accounts are still essentially mynintendo accounts.

That system evolved into ClubNintendo, which was replaced by the current MyNintendo, which is a completely separate thing that's tied to the new Nintendo account system.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »

That system evolved into ClubNintendo, which was replaced by the current MyNintendo, which is a completely separate thing that's tied to the new Nintendo account system.

Which is not related to the Nintendo Network ID, or the new "User ID"...

Nintendo has forgotten one of their core principals that have enabled their games to remain so popular: Keep It Simple Stupid.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
Good thing I have a silly dumb handle I go by online that most people wouldn't be pining for.

Offline dfields90

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
Wasn't this already a thing? I am confused I feel like I have had my handle for months when I signed up for Nintendo Account..
@fielderschoice9 on twitter

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
You people are forgetting that 3DS friend codes are also still a thing.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »
Lol, 3DS system-wide friend codes felt like such an improvement.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 11:27:05 PM »
Lol, 3DS system-wide friend codes felt like such an improvement.

Because they were. That's how bad things were on DS and Wii.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 11:35:27 PM »
Wasn't this already a thing? I am confused I feel like I have had my handle for months when I signed up for Nintendo Account..

User IDs were added towards the end of 2016, yeah, but most sites only seemed to pick this news up recently for some reason. That's why so many people are finding that their User ID of choice is already taken; people who logged into Nintendo Account and noticed this before have had months to claim User IDs.