Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572586 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2375 on: February 22, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Well if that were true, then he should consistently project Nintendo to at least make money simply based on the trend they've carved for generations.

If anything, you are proving my point.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: February 22, 2012, 09:19:30 AM »
Well if that were true, then he should consistently project Nintendo to at least make money simply based on the trend they've carved for generations.

If anything, you are proving my point.

Mm. The thing is that Nintendo isn't one of the stocks that fall under his purview given that Nintendo isn't listed in the US stocks. That is probably why his guesses on Nintendo are often wrong. I guess what I really want to say is that you shouldn't take his negative guesses with Nintendo as a sign of malice against Nintendo.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »
"Always bet on Black" - Wesley Snipes

"Alway bet against Pachter" - Internet

Seriously, unless he is wearing his Admiral Obvious hat, he is always wrong Nintendo or no Nintendo. When I mean Obvious, I mean **** like this. When he is wrong and when isn't he wrong, you get asinine analysis like "True game people' will lead Zynga to further succes. Please don't make me explain to you why he is wrong.

Then he constantly contradicts him self first by stating this postion, Then states the opposite after the period and still gets it wrong. Then he shots himself again in the first link before questioning his own existence with this. All inside a 2 month period. I wish I got paid money for being wrong so often. You can flip a double headed coin and get better results than him.

He is ALWAYS wrong when ever he is doing his job. He is the Jack Thompson of Wall street. People like Pachter makes me question why the majority of wall street ever finds meaningful employment let alone allowed to run the economy despite showing time and again to be terrible at it, not even touching on the wide spread fraud.

I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: February 22, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »
You don't need a CC Pro when you have the tablet. I don't get how people are so oblivious to this. It's like with Smash Wii U not being able to use Gamecube controllers, every moron on the block claims "I can't use that tablet, maybe i'll just have to go with the CC Pro..." The tablet is the CC Pro and more! It's the same old controls from 2 generations ago just with a screen.  Talk about Smash Bros! God!

I imagine the tablet controller will be a whole lot more expensive than a CC Pro.  Unless every player needs that second screen I think from a cost perspective it would make sense for a multiplayer focused game like SSB to support the CC Pro.

A traditional controller is also probably better from a ergonomical perspective so if the game doesn't need the extra functionality having the option to play with something smaller and more comfortable to hold is ideal.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
Either way, Nintendo should put a really good microphone (and speakers for that matter) into the tablet. Maybe it could be used for voice chat.

I think the speakers and microphone will probably be pretty basic because Nintendo will want to keep the costs low. But I hope there can be some sort of jack on the tablet like on the 360 controller where you could plug a headset into it. That way you could have a better voice chat setup, although the stuff built into the tablet should at least be usable even if not great quality.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: February 22, 2012, 02:53:45 PM »
Probably. I was just saying that they should be higher quality. They should at least be decent considering one of the benefits of the controller is playing games on it while someone else occupies the tv. I expect better than the Wii Remote's speaker which was quite awful. Maybe Nintendo will use 3DS components. That would save them money by reducing the number of different suppliers and orders.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2381 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
There is a headphone jack; hopefully, it also supports a full headset.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
I be surprised if the uMote doesn't have the exact same Mic and Speakers as the 3DS.  Economy in Scale.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
I be surprised if the uMote doesn't have the exact same Mic and Speakers as the 3DS.  Economy in Scale.
I'm actually OK with this

but this:
They should at least be decent considering one of the benefits of the controller is playing games on it while someone else occupies the tv.

is a good point and makes me think twice
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: February 22, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »
You don't need a CC Pro when you have the tablet. I don't get how people are so oblivious to this. It's like with Smash Wii U not being able to use Gamecube controllers, every moron on the block claims "I can't use that tablet, maybe i'll just have to go with the CC Pro..." The tablet is the CC Pro and more! It's the same old controls from 2 generations ago just with a screen.  Talk about Smash Bros! God!

I imagine the tablet controller will be a whole lot more expensive than a CC Pro.  Unless every player needs that second screen I think from a cost perspective it would make sense for a multiplayer focused game like SSB to support the CC Pro.

A traditional controller is also probably better from a ergonomical perspective so if the game doesn't need the extra functionality having the option to play with something smaller and more comfortable to hold is ideal.

Though I did mention Smash Bros, I should have clarified that for single player use. If i'm playing Ninja Gaiden alone, why not use the tablet unless the comfort level is vastly different? For more traditional multiplayer games, the CC Pro would definitely be ideal for player 2 and beyond. But since the tablet comes with the system I don't see the reason to switch it out with the CC Pro for the first player.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2385 on: February 22, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
I wish Nintendo would put out Wii U controller prototypes for the public to feel because it's damn comfortable despite what it may look like.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
Nintendo taking notes from Microsoft about media distribution.

http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/nintendo-courting-media-partners-new-wii-138387?

"The Japanese gaming giant has begun preliminary conversations with several major media companies, exploring possible content distribution partnerships for the upcoming Wii U the sequel to Nintendo’s smash hit gaming console."

Also in the same article:

Michael Pachter doesn't believe Nintendo can pull this off and say's developers won't support the Wii U as a game console.

just wanted to quote another part of this article

word is that Nintendo wants to take a page out of Xbox’s playbook for Wii U, which is expected to be the only major console launch in 2012. One source said that Nintendo is even considering a similar deal with Comcast to become a cable TV distribution.
Per multiple sources, Nintendo executives did arrange meetings with “a select number of top content companies” including multiple cable networks and Web video producers at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last month, focusing on sports and music content.
In fact, Nintendo had previously reached out to a handful of Web video companies for the launch of the company’s underwhelming handheld device the Nintendo 3DS; the idea was to feature 3-D video content, but those talks went nowhere. Last week, Nintendo did announce a distribution deal with Hulu for the original Wii, perhaps a sign of things to come (officials at Nintendo declined to comment).

With rumors of Apple's HDTV that replaces the set top box going around, this news does not surprise me. Nintendo must change with the times or get left behind. If the only way they can ensure that they get their system into our living rooms is to make it more of a media box that specializes in games, then so be it. Just do it right, no half assing it.
Like I've said many times now, if you built a machine capable of doing something more, then let it. And the Wii U has much potential to be much more than just a games machine and Nintendo has shown interesting ways in making that a reality. I just hope they follow through to the best of their abilities, and then hire people that know those extras to make them work the way e would expect them to.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:25:15 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: February 22, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
That really doesn't sound like Nintendo, but I hope it's true. I already have the other consoles and an AppleTV for streaming to my TV and an iPad that does what the Wii U tablet might, but it's still great to see Nintendo being competitive.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:23 PM »
Wii U even got some local news love
http://www.news10.net/news/article/179551/37/Wii-U-The-next-total-entertainment-machine
>video at the link<
With the Wii U, the new video game console coming out from Nintendo later this year, the company believes that they're taking the home gaming console to the next level on the home entertainment scale.

"What the Wii U promises to do beyond offering unexpected gaming opportunities is it also creates opportunities due to the fact that its second screen is introduced into the living room, it removes the boundaries that exist between the player, the TV, the television, and the Internet," said Cindy Gordon, Nintendo's Vice President of Corporate Affairs.

Gordon believes that the way in which the Wii U interacts with all these different mediums will change the way in which people not only play video games, but also watch television and browse the web.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:50 PM »
That really doesn't sound like Nintendo.

Why not? Unless I'm completely misreading this, it basically sounds like they want to do a Wii-no-ma (sic) repeat with the WiiU, only now expanded to the West.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: February 22, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/02/22/aliens-colonial-marines-wii-u-randy-pitchford-interview/

It would be nice if some professional third party game accessory company developed a pulse rifle replica that either allowed a Wiimote to be placed inside like the Top Shot Elite or a replica with a Wiimote already built inside of it with a camera on the barrel. Oh, and there should be an option to have the gun sound effects when the trigger is pulled. As for the uMote, a motion tracker could be made to house the controller as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »
That really doesn't sound like Nintendo.

Why not? Unless I'm completely misreading this, it basically sounds like they want to do a Wii-no-ma (sic) repeat with the WiiU, only now expanded to the West.

That's a fair point; I forgot how much of that kind of thing they did in Japan until you reminded me. Still doesn't really seem like Nintendo, but at least there's precedent for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:33 AM »
It doesn't sound like Nintendo because of the whole dedicated-to-gaming tack they (or their fans?) took in talking down how they wouldn't play DVDs on the GC.

I think their current thinking on how they deal with supporting other entertainment media is that in order to keep their game systems competitive with other forms of entertainment, they're going to have to make alliances with other forms of entertainment. That's why the Wii U: they no longer want people to have to choose between watching TV and playing their Wii. The Wii was an AND console, you could own one AND a PS360. The Wii U is AND entertainment, you can play it while you use your TV for something else.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: February 23, 2012, 02:58:44 AM »
The fact the GC didn't play DVDs isn't shocking considering it only accepted the miniature discs so it wasn't going to be able to work anyway (except on the Q model, obviously). What is really baffling is how the Wii doesn't offer DVD playback. The Wii accepts the standard sized discs, and we know its possible because people have added unauthorized DVD playback via the homebrew channel. For a minimal amount of effort Nintendo easily could have offered a DVD playback channel to the Wii for $20 or something, and then been able to rake in some additional revenue while giving less of a reason for people to hack their Wiis.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2395 on: February 23, 2012, 03:03:31 AM »
Nintendo even said before the Wii launched that they would add in the DVD functionality in a few months. I don't think most people need it (I can play DVDs on my Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and laptop, plus I have a cheap $20 DVD player somewhere), but it would have been nice to have.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »
Honestly, as much as I'd like to see Nintendo dabble in other areas of entertainment, they should just focus on gaming. If they want people to do other things on their system other than gaming, then allow people with more expertise to deal with it.

Maybe that's what they are doing.

Either way, the Wii U should be a hackers dream. We'll see how much potential it has a year or so after its released.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: February 23, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
Maybe for us, maybe not. I'm betting we too will get the goods!

Just reviewed all projects and GDC @UnrealEngine demos. I felt like a proud papa. Demo made people gasp, literally.
- Mike Capps, Twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/epicactual/status/172759658853969921
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: February 24, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »
Pachter is such a hater. I've never seen one projection of his say anything positive about Nintendo. No wonder he continues to be wrong.

Anyway, having Netflix and Hulu on the Wii U wouldn't be news. Having something like the DirectTV and iPad streaming/remote app though could be monumental for a gaming system.

This would be awesome, and definitely enough for me to go from fence-sitter to potential early adopter.

I'm going to get the Wii U eventually because of the Nintendo games, but give me a multimedia smorgasbord and I'll gladly pay the new-adopter premium.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: February 24, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »
I can usually wait on Nintendo handhelds but I can't see myself not being an early adopter for their home consoles. Nintendo will always release something I want. I'll be there launch day for Wii U.