Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141398 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Retro making Startroid Fusion?
« Reply #6850 on: May 19, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
Retro Studios’ Wii U game “Star Fox – Metroid: Fusion Saga”?
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/05/19/rumor-is-retro-studios-wii-u-game-star-fox-metroid-fusion-saga/
- Nintendo sees Retro Studios as a very competent developer and worked with them in creating the hybrid title of Star Fox – Metroid: Fusion Saga.
- The title has multiple gameplay mechanics and needed a wide staff of talent to incorporate the many ideas.
- The story begins as you control Fox McCloud and the Star Fox team on deep space mission in your Arwing, flying through a Meteos-like stage. As you enter a light speed warp, there’s a collision with an orange ship (Samus’) and the game continues with you now plummeting to a planet as Samus in her craft.

- The game switches off between intense Arwing space and planetary battles as Fox makes his way to the planet that Samus crashed on and a Metroid Prime-like experience of gameplay as Samus on this planet, gradually uncovering its mysteries, leveling up, etc.
- The Star Fox stages represent what the series is best known for, including the chatter and coming to the aid of the rest of your team, all range mode battles, and on rails stages.
- The Metroid part of the game puts you alone, void of human or any talking character contact, and like the Prime series, sees you gaining upgrades, battling bosses, and in this case, repairing your ship.
- The game is said to be epic in size, scope, ambition.
- The pacing has been perfected to not interrupt what the feeling is behind either franchise, since Star Fox is more often known for being acceptable to have short sessions with and Metroid rather the opposite. You can opt to continue playing either just Samus’ part or Fox’s part without crossing over for much of the main game (or play it as it’s scripted back and forth), but will eventually have to complete both, as the characters will ultimately meet up.

- Though a tentative title, the idea behind the story of “Fusion Saga” is both a play on the fact that the two series are fusing together into one game and of course, a storyline behind Andross using Metroids to enhance himself, his army, etc.
I’m leaning towards believing that this indeed could have possibly been conjured up at some point when Nintendo and Retro Studios were deciding what should the latter’s first Wii U game be.

What I can’t tell you or even guess, really, is whether or not this proposal/concept is actually, in fact, the game that Retro Studios has been working on all this time for Wii U.

Not sure I want this.

I think the revival of Star Tropics as a grand adventure with RPG elements sounds better. I hope Startroid Fusion is not a reality.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6851 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »
Ugh, yeah. Do not want.

Mixing characters in Smash Bros. to duke it out? Sure, I can believe that - it's a game created to drive Nintendo fans into a zen state of happiness.

But doing a cross-over "Fusion Saga" type of game where the lore/areas/characters of both Metroid and Star Fox meet up? I don't think so.

As BnM stated, I'd rather Retro create Nintendo's own "Uncharted" series using Star Tropics as its base. Would make for a fantastically zany version of Uncharted type gameplay.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
Yeah, I don't believe that for a second. I think Platinum Games is working on Star Fox.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: May 19, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Retro said before they were "working on a game everyone wanted them to do". Since I don't think anyone (except maybe Kytime) would want them to do a Metroid-Star Fox hybrid game, I think that statement contradicts this rumor.

Although I have to admit, I am curious how such a game would turn out. I think it would have a lot of potential for spawning internet memes, so it would be kinda interesting even if its just for that purpose.

I also don't think it could end up being any worse than that Other M abomination. A Metroid-Star Fox hybrid might be a pretty shitty concept, but with Retro at the helm they could probably make it good. Give Sakamoto gold and he will turn it into a piece of ****; give Retro a piece of **** and they will spin it into gold. That's the difference between Retro and Sakamoto.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:11:52 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
I'd play that game, but you know, maybe without bastardising two of Nintendo's franchises in the process?

That game would be perfect for a new IP, make it the crew's captain that goes down in the middle of a dogfight or something and everyone presumes he/she are dead. One half see you piloting the rest of the squad through Star Fox like missions to keep battling a war (or something) the other half sees you as the captain fighting off monsters/baddies to explore the planet and restore your ship so you can rejoin your comrades.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6855 on: May 19, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
They could also do a Metroid-Pikmin crossover where Samus and Olimar team up to battle the Metroids or whatever. They are both space based characters, so why not?
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: May 19, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »
While they're at it, they should just add Captain Falcon, too, since that's a futuristic setting.

Oh, the crossover possibilities. Makes you wonder why the Subspace Emissary was so crappy.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: May 19, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
Retro said before they were "working on a game everyone wanted them to do". Since I don't think anyone (except maybe Kytime) would want them to do a Metroid-Star Fox hybrid game, I think that statement contradicts this rumor.

Although I have to admit, I am curious how such a game would turn out. I think it would have a lot of potential for spawning internet memes, so it would be kinda interesting even if its just for that purpose.

I also don't think it could end up being any worse than that Other M abomination. A Metroid-Star Fox hybrid might be a pretty shitty concept, but with Retro at the helm they could probably make it good. Give Sakamoto gold and he will turn it into a piece of ****; give Retro a piece of **** and they will spin it into gold. That's the difference between Retro and Sakamoto.

Well, there are people that want Retro to make a new Metroid Prime, and there are people that want Retro to make a new StarFox. Put the two together and...
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #6858 on: May 19, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure Retro is done with Metroid. After the three games and Wii-conversion, they're probably burned out a bit.

I do not want to see Nintendo's mascots cross over in anything other than Smash Bros. It'll come off as cheesey or hookey. No thank you.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: May 19, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »
I'd play that game, but you know, maybe without bastardising two of Nintendo's franchises in the process?

That game would be perfect for a new IP, make it the crew's captain that goes down in the middle of a dogfight or something and everyone presumes he/she are dead. One half see you piloting the rest of the squad through Star Fox like missions to keep battling a war (or something) the other half sees you as the captain fighting off monsters/baddies to explore the planet and restore your ship so you can rejoin your comrades.

So you want the exact same game, just without the StarFox and Metroid characters? What's the point then? They'd just be not-Fox and not-Samus. Same game with different characters.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: May 19, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »
Yeah, it's clear you've missed the point because it is exactly that. This franchise crossover wouldn't work well, it's nonsensical. Whereas with a new IP you're not limited by anything that has come before it. You're not going to get hounded by people complaining "this doesn't play like Metroid" or "this isn't StarFox" (which is exactly what happened with Adventures). Reception would be based on the merit of the game itself, not its pedigree.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: May 19, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure Retro is done with Metroid. After the three games and Wii-conversion, they're probably burned out a bit.

They probably WERE burned out, but keep in mind that Metroid Prime 3 came out in 2007 which was no less than 5 years ago. Considering that over 5 full years have passed since they last worked on anything to do with Metroid I think they could be past the burned out point by now and could be up to doing it again.

I do not want to see Nintendo's mascots cross over in anything other than Smash Bros. It'll come off as cheesey or hookey. No thank you.

I agree, but I will make an effort to look past that if this rumor is true and the game actually ends up good. I might not be happy with this direction, but that doesn't mean the game will end up being terrible gameplay wise.

I also think that after how badly butchered the Samus character was in Other M I don't really think something like this matters anymore. The "purity" of the character is already tainted, so what's the difference if she crosses over with Star Fox? Before Other M I would probably be really worried or angry about this potential crossover, but now I think the damage is done so at this point who cares?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:48:44 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: May 19, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
So I just got confirmation from a great source that Far Cry 3 will NOT be coming out for Wii U.

Awww, that's a shame.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: May 19, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
I've toyed around the notion of a game that has the Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero elements mixed together ever since I read that all the ships in the game have the G-Diffuser. I don't know if I want an actual game made in to reality since it seems such a silly idea. Also, the rumor reads like they are jamming two different games with different attitudes and atmospheres together, and that seems to be a hard idea to pull off well.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: May 19, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »
That rumor is fake as fake can be.  Nintendo has a long history of making sure its different franchises are separated from each other so they don't cause brand confusion.  Unless it's a crossover game that plays completely different from the games the characters come from like Smash Bros, they won't in a million years combine the two main series of something together.

Seriously, Nintendo had Good Feel remove this song from Wario Land Shake because it was a remix of a Mario song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oa_X8gQVaQ

Even though it's one of the best songs composed for the game and the best remix of the Mario 1 Underground theme ever made, Nintendo had Good Feel remove it because they wanted to keep the Mario and Wario Platformers as completely seperate series, which means even a remix of one song was unacceptable to the management of NCL.

So if one song was a big deal to Nintendo, no way in hell they'll allow something like this to happen.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: May 19, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »
The gaming rumour mill in the run-up to E3 can be so funny. There's just no way...

On the topic of Retro's next project, I wouldn't read too much into the whole "It's a game everyone wants us to do" spiel. To my knowledge, there was never any widespread clamouring for Retro to tackle any specific franchise.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline sebasrd27

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: May 19, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »
Actual WiiU pad leaked!! From the twitter of a TT games tester:

And here, the old and actual WiiU pad, to se it´s changes:

-Now we have analog sticks and no circle pads like on 3DS (And, on Neogaf says that the sticks have "click" feature)

-Also, we can see a new distribution of the buttons and sticks.

-Twoo unknown square little buttons...

-And the console stills remains as WiiU.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:23:39 PM by sebasrd27 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: May 19, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
That rumor is fake as fake can be.  Nintendo has a long history of making sure its different franchises are separated from each other so they don't cause brand confusion.  Unless it's a crossover game that plays completely different from the games the characters come from like Smash Bros, they won't in a million years combine the two main series of something together.

Seriously, Nintendo had Good Feel remove this song from Wario Land Shake because it was a remix of a Mario song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oa_X8gQVaQ

Even though it's one of the best songs composed for the game and the best remix of the Mario 1 Underground theme ever made, Nintendo had Good Feel remove it because they wanted to keep the Mario and Wario Platformers as completely seperate series, which means even a remix of one song was unacceptable to the management of NCL.

So if one song was a big deal to Nintendo, no way in hell they'll allow something like this to happen.

Epic Song! Never knew about this!

You've given me hope that this does not exist. I know I would certainly buy it though, but there really is no need for this at all, considering the state that both franchises are in. Though I don't think Metroid is ruined by any means.

Edit:
Just in case someone missed it yesterday.
I got "confirmation" about 2 Wii U controllers being used. And no Far Cry for Wii U, not sure who was waiting on that game or how popular it is but it seemed noteworthy.

I say "confirmation" like that only cause he wasn't too concerned with Nintendo and had to think about it for a moment.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:02:34 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »
Actual WiiU pad leaked!! From the twitter of a TT games tester:

And here, the old and actual WiiU pad, to se it´s changes:

-Now we have analog sticks and no circle pads like on 3DS (And, on Neogaf says that the sticks have "click" feature)

-Also, we can see a new distribution of the buttons and sticks.

-Twoo unknown square little buttons...

-And the console stills remains as WiiU.

I would like the old design stick design back.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »

the game everyone wants Nintendo to make is a new IP
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: May 19, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »
Different people want them to make different things. Some people would love Retro to be making Zelda, whereas I'd be pretty disappointed if that's what it turned out to be. Some people want them to make Star Fox, while others want Platinum or Q Games to be doing that. Whatever it turns out to be, as good as Retro is, I'd be shocked if it weren't great.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: May 19, 2012, 11:39:29 PM »
I just think that a drastic alteration of Zelda wouldn't be a good thing. Or if Retro made it very similar to how normal Zelda plays like DKCR, it would be panned for not taking enough risks. It's a lose-lose situation because Zelda is something that Nintendo knows how to make and makes WELL, whereas Starfox has been stale for too long now and could use some revision.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: May 19, 2012, 11:54:53 PM »
See, I feel the exact opposite; I think a drastic alteration is exactly what Zelda needs. I just would rather that be done by someone other than Retro.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: May 20, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
Different people want them to make different things. Some people would love Retro to be making Zelda, whereas I'd be pretty disappointed if that's what it turned out to be. Some people want them to make Star Fox, while others want Platinum or Q Games to be doing that. Whatever it turns out to be, as good as Retro is, I'd be shocked if it weren't great.

Why would Platinum Games make a StarFox game? They aren't owned by Nintendo, they're a completely independent developer. Same with Q Games (though I do realize Dylan Cuthbert at Argonaut Games created the original concept for StarFox on the SNES).

Then again, Namco made StarFox Assault for the GameCube.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:46:20 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: May 20, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »
Why would Platinum Games make a StarFox game? They aren't owned by Nintendo, they're a completely independent developer.
Or Platinum is working on a new Star Fox and Sakurai wanted to see it because he's a huge Star Fox fan.  Like I've said before, Platinum would be the best choice for a Star Fox game because Kamiya himself is a huge fan of the series, wants to make a game for it, and has the resume of great action games to insure he'd deliver on the actual gameplay.  Considering Kamiya's record, I'd imagine Sakurai himself would agree that Kamiya is a great choice for the series and really wanted to see the game.