Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3161635 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6800 on: May 14, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »

Hopefully this hasn't been posted previously, but Wii U to have Cloud storage. Looks like it will be used just for  profile and save data so the 512 mb doesn't sound so low when that is taken into consideration.

- involves the Nintendo Network
- allows for 512 MB of online storage to each gamer
- storage tied to each Nintendo Network profile
- exclusively for save games and player profile data
- launching in Japan first
- supposedly working with Seattle, WA-based Mozy, Inc.to handle this
- source says Nintendo approached Mozy in 2010
- integrated into Wii U channels

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/nintendo-to-offer-wii-u-cloud-storage-for-save-games-and-player-profiles/
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6801 on: May 14, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »
That is an odd vestige from the 2D era, but I think it stems from being in run mode in a lot of FPSs means you're not allowed to shoot. You're essentially in a "run mode." It's easier for a player to know they're not gonna be able to shoot by pressing a button that says "I'm willing to make that tradeoff right now" than by moving the stick just slightly so.

True, Nickmitch.  I am sure that is part of the concern...but isn't that where animation can come in and help.  Obviously, if you show the player running in such a fashion they can not shoot it would make sense.  Though honestly, I don't know why this is a part of the game either.  I would rather be allowed to shoot with a horrible accuracy and possibly get a lucky shot then not.  Again...it goes back to how great Golden Eye was.  To aim you had to STOP moving...but you could still move and shoot without aiming, but your accuracy was much worse overall.  Goldeneye with Auto aim turned off was brilliant.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Splinter Cell Wii U!?
« Reply #6802 on: May 15, 2012, 12:27:37 AM »
Splinter Cell coming to Wii U?
Hip Hop Gamer says it's so.

jump to the 6 minute mark to where he starts talking Wii U & Splinter Cell

He also says there will be downloade-able in game stuff

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: May 15, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

Hopefully this hasn't been posted previously, but Wii U to have Cloud storage. Looks like it will be used just for  profile and save data so the 512 mb doesn't sound so low when that is taken into consideration.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/nintendo-to-offer-wii-u-cloud-storage-for-save-games-and-player-profiles/
Well this would sure-as-hell solve the internal memory issue.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: May 15, 2012, 01:04:16 AM »
I don't know if it was a slip, but he let November out at 8:35ish.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: May 15, 2012, 01:25:59 AM »
Man the video wont play for me, but still makes me excited.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: May 15, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »

How would it solve internal memory issues?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: May 15, 2012, 02:58:56 AM »

How would it solve internal memory issues?

I'm not sure but I think it's as simple as the actual memory from the game is not stored on the Wii U, but online in the vastness of cyberspace.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6808 on: May 15, 2012, 03:23:39 AM »
I think the idea is that you can have a smaller memory in your Wii U...if game saves are being done online as an optional backup or main download.  The problem of course is those gamers that don't get online won't use this service and it can not be depended on as the solution for having a small internal memory. 

Instead, this should be viewed as an amazing option for backing up saved game files and sharing game files with friends, but overall it is not a solution to anything.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:18 AM »
Cloud is a technically-infinite storage solution, but nobody has the nerve to go all the way with it because it's cyberspace, not real, and therefore can be lost with a simple global energy crisis.

It could be a solution to the lack of internal storage space if Nintendo wanted to, I don't know, actually stay ahead of the game and offer something other consoles don't have, but a mere 512 MB is a joke. Amazon gives you 30 gigs FREE upon using their service.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:31:24 AM by Evan_B »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6810 on: May 15, 2012, 05:33:02 AM »
Cloud is a technically-infinite storage solution, but nobody has the nerve to go all the way with it because it's cyberspace, not real, and therefore can be lost with a simple global energy crisis.

Another problem with cloud storage is that it can't come anywhere close to the access speed of a hard drive. The speed at which you can read/write to and from the cloud is FAR less than the read/write speed of a HDD. Your cloud speed is basically the speed of your internet, and while broadband is fairly common these days, even the fastest broadband still would take a long time to juggle files which are tens of gigabytes in size. With a HDD it only takes minutes, but with a cloud it would take hours or even days.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: May 15, 2012, 07:55:18 AM »
a mere 512 MB is a joke. Amazon gives you 30 gigs FREE upon using their service.
If this is just for game saves and player profiles, does it really need to be bigger? It doesn't seem like it's aspiring to be a storage solution, just a back-up tool mainly for simpler system transfers and broken consoles. I don't know too much about the cloud but going by what Chozo said, if there are speed issues, maybe Nintendo doesn't want to deal with that for anything major just yet. It would be nice to get the same kind of free storage that Amazon is offering because free things are nice. However, like GP said, for what it seems to be used for, 512MB is a decent amount of memory. I wonder how many people will need that much for game saves and such.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:58:17 AM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
Buying a new HTC or Samsung phone gives you 50GB of free storage with box.com (I think that's the one)...512MB would be a slap in the face. I actually don't give two shits about cloud storage, and am largely against it, unless it's purely option and in no way could ever even remotely be mandatory...as in, we get enough storage and storage options on the console to never, ever, have to depend on it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: May 15, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
512MB is not that much storage even for saves.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: May 15, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
One thing about Cloud is file sharing, no I'm not talking about games but saves/scores/ect.  Or just plain backup saves since it's free and wouldn't require additional hardware.

Right now I have something like 20-30 saves files on 512MB besides rpg and sports titles most games don't require that much space--most games it's less than 10MB.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:53 AM »

If you have fifty games. Just looking through my PS3, the largest save file is a 10 MB file.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: May 15, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

If you have fifty games. Just looking through my PS3, the largest save file is a 10 MB file.
I'll go back through my PS3 when I get home.  I don't have nearly that many and I'm fairly sure my saves take more then that in space.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:43 PM »
It could be a solution to the lack of internal storage space if Nintendo wanted to, I don't know, actually stay ahead of the game and offer something other consoles don't have, but a mere 512 MB is a joke. Amazon gives you 30 gigs FREE upon using their service.
Amazon only offers 5GB of free space.  That is still a lot more than 512MB.  But so far, on my PS Plus account, 512MB is more than enough.   I have over 30 game saves in my online storage and have yet to crack 100MB of space used.  Unless a save file is overbloated (the largest file I have on there is about 3MB), then 512MB should be more than sufficient for save files.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: May 15, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

I'll go back through my PS3 when I get home.  I don't have nearly that many and I'm fairly sure my saves take more then that in space.
What games do you play?  Are you making huge custom maps on FPS games or huge amounts of custom characters on a sports game?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: May 15, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »

What games do you play?  Are you making huge custom maps on FPS games or huge amounts of custom characters on a sports game?
Don't own an FPS and only own 2 sports game which I only played through 1 game of baseball and Football on respectively.  I'll check when I get home.  I may be mistaken.

While I'm thinking of it.  How much space did the Wii Animal Crossing take?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:39:56 PM by Ceric »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: May 15, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
Amazon only offers 5GB of free space.  That is still a lot more than 512MB.  But so far, on my PS Plus account, 512MB is more than enough.   I have over 30 game saves in my online storage and have yet to crack 100MB of space used.  Unless a save file is overbloated (the largest file I have on there is about 3MB), then 512MB should be more than sufficient for save files.
Noted. I just checked the ECloud service though, and that's what they had on the site... in any case, Nintendo could offer a little bit more, I think, especially if they want to push the system. 512MB implies the same amount of games I bought for my Wii, which was a pretty poor amount.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: May 15, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
Yes, but the Wii also had to hold on Wii Shop games and othe game data. This seems like a "save data only" deal.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »

If the save files are small, then it's more than enough. Most Wii games have very small save files (1-3 "blocks"), and Nintendo is very good at compressing data.

Case in point: I have an 8GB SD card in my Wii with a couple dozen VC and WiiWare, and I still have over 50,000 "blocks" left over. On my 3DS, it's the same situation. I have a 16GB SD card with dozens of eShop games, and I still have over 100,000 "blocks" left over.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:55:46 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: May 15, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

PS Plus only offers 150MB, which is pathetic, considering many PS3 games can have large save files.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »
512MB is about twice what the Wii has available for game saves, did anyone here fill up their Wii memory with nothing but saves? I know I haven't and I've played a lot of games.