Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3162845 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6750 on: May 10, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »
Honestly do you think an SSD drive has more in common with a traditional HDD then an SD card?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:42:12 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: May 11, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »
Honestly do you think an SSD drive has more in common with a traditional HDD then an SD card?
It actually does.  That is fact.  There's no thinking involved here.  They are mostly internal drives, not portable.  They are in the same form factor as 2.5" HDDs.  They have the same connectors as HDDs (SATA).  They are 99% of the time used as the drive in the PC/Mac that you put your main OS and executable programs onto because it dramatically increases the speed in which they are accessed and started.  Here is a blog also explaining the differences between SSD & USB Flash drives.  Here's the Wikipedia articles on SSD and SD CardsHere is a link to a forum post at Maximum PC from last year asking what the differences are between a Class 10 SD Card (fastest out there) and an SSD (please note that most SSDs have doubled in speed since this question has been asked and SD cards are still stuck at USB 2.0 speeds).

Getting an SSD into your computer is the number one way to increase the perceived speed of your computer.  Nothing else comes close.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: May 11, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
It actually does.  That is fact.  There's no thinking involved here.  They are mostly internal drives, not portable.  They are in the same form factor as 2.5" HDDs.  They have the same connectors as HDDs (SATA).  They are 99% of the time used as the drive in the PC/Mac that you put your main OS and executable programs onto because it dramatically increases the speed in which they are accessed and started.  Here is a blog also explaining the differences between SSD & USB Flash drives.  Here's the Wikipedia articles on SSD and SD CardsHere is a link to a forum post at Maximum PC from last year asking what the differences are between a Class 10 SD Card (fastest out there) and an SSD (please note that most SSDs have doubled in speed since this question has been asked and SD cards are still stuck at USB 2.0 speeds).

Getting an SSD into your computer is the number one way to increase the perceived speed of your computer.  Nothing else comes close.
I Harddrive uses a motor turning a magnetic disk.
A Solid State Drive uses mostly Nand Memory.
A SD Card uses mostly Nand Memory.

The connectors and form factor are like saying just because someone is a different color and height that internally they are totally different.  Which is simply not true.   The biggest difference in the two tech is that

An USB flash drive uses lower quality low performance NAND flash with just 1 or 2 channels. Its durable, cheap but slow. An SSD on the other hand uses high performance NAND with mutliple channels. ( 12 or 8 is not uncommon), and there is a  memory controller on a SSD which is much better and both can store data even if its not powered.

Any breakthrough in Nand memory tech and manufacturing will affect both.  That is simply not true between a SSD and HDD unless someone finds a way to make a cheaper connector or case.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: May 11, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
Like I've said before, the only similarity is the fact that SD and SSDs use flash memory.  Speed (both access speed and read/write speed), how they're built, how they are used, and portability are all different (some drastically). Saying SD and SSD are the same thing is like saying a steak and an orange are the same thing because they are both edible and both have a taste and flavor.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: May 11, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
Like I've said before, the only similarity is the fact that SD and SSDs use flash memory.  Speed (both access speed and read/write speed), how they're built, how they are used, and portability are all different (some drastically). Saying SD and SSD are the same thing is like saying a steak and an orange are the same thing because they are both edible and both have a taste and flavor.
I never said they were the same thing.  Just at their core they use the same type of tech and that price fluctuations in one would mean more to the other then price fluctuations in there equivalent for the role.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: May 11, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »
I never said they were the same thing.  Just at their core they use the same type of tech and that price fluctuations in one would mean more to the other then price fluctuations in there equivalent for the role.
And like I said, I only said they were similar because they both are flash based, which I guess is sort of what you said, even though there is a lot more tech going into an SSD than and SD card.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: May 11, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
And like I said, I only said they were similar because they both are flash based, which I guess is sort of what you said, even though there is a lot more tech going into an SSD than and SD card.
Agree.  Its like the difference between a Cyborg and a Human.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: May 11, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Agree.  Its like the difference between a Cyborg and a Human.
That works.  Same human shell, just the cyborg has enhanced tech making it faster and more durable.  Nice.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #6758 on: May 11, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
What just happened here?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
FFXIV a Wii U possibility?
« Reply #6759 on: May 11, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
So it seems Wii U could be a natural home to many upcoming MMO's
DQX is leading the way, so what would follow?

Well, it seems that Square Enix is looking to possibly bring FFXIV over to the Wii U.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37731595&postcount=5818
supposedly SE wants to port FFXIV to Wii U depending on whether it picks up popularity on PC soon.  The PS3 port is still being worked on and the Wii U version would not take much more in the way of resources.

Not sure exactly where that is coming from, but I don't see why he would make it up either. grain of salt as with just about everything in this thread.[/quote]

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6760 on: May 11, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
FF XIV is not doing anywhere near as good as Square Enix hoped, so I could see that alone being reason for a Wii U version so they can try to make back as much money as possible.

I do hope Wii U will get a real Final Fantasy game though (not just Final Fantasy Online II as I like to call it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Crytek employee talks Wii U dev kits?
« Reply #6761 on: May 11, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »
and another one from GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37774590&postcount=7104

Apparently a Crytek employee is talking about Wii U
says they aren't making a game and that Wii U is very capable, but being held back by always on controller streaming.
I'll let you read their translation (source is in french)
- Crytek is NOT developing a game for Wii U, but they created a Crysis 3 level just to fully understand the console capabilities
- apparently he tried this level on the last DevKit available
- the game run on dx9 with a native 720p resolution, fxaa filter (it is impossible to use txaa), good framerate (30-35 stable fps), high quality texture (no pop up as in the Ps3/x360 game version due to the higher RAM amount), not fully implemented water shaders
- great particles effects (ambient occlusion on par with PC version)
- lighting effect on par with PC version (ultra setting)
- in the dev kit he tested, it is not possible to "turn off" the Pad monitor, so that it always streams 480p contents
- the programming staff thinks that (they are not sure) toggling off the Pad monitor, the game could run on a 1080p native resolution

In other posts he is well impressed by the overall console power, but he hopes that in future dev kits there will be the opportunity to disable the Wii U pad in order to unleash the console full power.

He thinks Crytek will show this demo on E3 showflor even if the game is not under development.

Original post
http://forum.spaziogames.it/board/showthread.php?t=324866&p=16074539&viewfull=1#post16074539

This kinda contradicts other things we've heard such as Crytek UK is making a Wii U game.
it's rumored to be Timesplitters 4, but could be Homefront 2.
Or maybe this person meant that that particular Crytek studio is not making a Wii U game and has only created a demo to familiarize themselves with the hardware.

either way... here is more salt.

anyone got some limes and tequila?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6762 on: May 11, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
Maybe he meant Crytek proper is not working on it (could be like Miyamoto saying Nintendo is not working something, but Retro Studios or Intelligent Systems are).

So as of right now the Wii U controller is always streaming even if the developer has no plans to utilize it?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: May 11, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
FF XIV is not doing anywhere near as good as Square Enix hoped, so I could see that alone being reason for a Wii U version so they can try to make back as much money as possible.

I'd be tempted to try out FFXIV if it came to the Wii U, but I'd be afraid to find out exactly why it's so infamous.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: May 11, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
That was the tastiest Wii U morsel I've been fed in WEEKS.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:51:33 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6765 on: May 11, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »
Seems a shame that the developers aren't able to shut off the tablet controller if they want to. Sure, the tablet controller is the defining feature of the console, but it would be nice for the developer to have options. I guess it is currently out of the question that the Wii U can be operated with just a Wii remote and Classic Controller (Pro).

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6766 on: May 11, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »

Well, it seems that Square Enix is looking to possibly bring FFXIV over to the Wii U.

supposedly SE wants to port FFXIV to Wii U depending on whether it picks up popularity on PC soon.  The PS3 port is still being worked on and the Wii U version would not take much more in the way of resources.

Not sure exactly where that is coming from, but I don't see why he would make it up either. grain of salt as with just about everything in this thread.
I've been playing FFXIV well over a year-and-a-half now -- I've seen every change it's made. All of the ups and downs, and it has definitely improved since its inception. The game is actually pretty fantastic now -- all that's really left to do is the graphical revamp and restructuring of the land and zones.

In terms of a Wii U version... based on the current structure of the battle system, the game figuratively BEGS to be played with that tablet controller. Using the touch screen as an input method for your character's abilities/traits would be perfectly suited for the style of gameplay SE has created in FFXIV.

I say do it. I'll hold off buying the PS3 version, and instead, I'll pick up the Wii U version - it should graphically be more impressive anyway.[/quote]
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: May 11, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »

Not sure exactly where that is coming from, but I don't see why he would make it up either. grain of salt as with just about everything in this thread.
I've been playing FFXIV well over a year-and-a-half now -- I've seen every change it's made. All of the ups and downs, and it has definitely improved since its inception. The game is actually pretty fantastic now -- all that's really left to do is the graphical revamp and restructuring of the land and zones.

In terms of a Wii U version... based on the current structure of the battle system, the game figuratively BEGS to be played with that tablet controller. Using the touch screen as an input method for your character's abilities/traits would be perfectly suited for the style of gameplay SE has created in FFXIV.

I say do it. I'll hold off buying the PS3 version, and instead, I'll pick up the Wii U version - it should graphically be more impressive anyway.

If this actually happens I'll jump in with you Rachtman!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:39:30 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6768 on: May 11, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
Excellent! I've already got a good steady group of close friends online and real life friends that play alongside me. You'll have a blast.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: May 11, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
I would also be interested in Final Fantasy XIV if the Wii U version is good. I really enjoyed playing Monster Hunter Tri with NWR members, and it'd be nice to have another game like that around here.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6770 on: May 11, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_Outline_EN.pdf

For those who haven't seen what changes are coming...check out Yoshida's outline leading up to V2.0. Especially read the portions pertaining to the battle system/ability icons and new graphical/zone restructuring. This all would work out incredibly well on Wii U.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: May 11, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »
Seems a shame that the developers aren't able to shut off the tablet controller if they want to. Sure, the tablet controller is the defining feature of the console, but it would be nice for the developer to have options. I guess it is currently out of the question that the Wii U can be operated with just a Wii remote and Classic Controller (Pro).
The impression I got from that quote was when you use the tablet controller, the screen is always on which makes sense though the option to shut the screen off would be nice. Still, I can't imagine it's taxing the hardware if it's only displaying a map or mission objectives. And I would hope that you can operate the Wii U with a Wii Remote but then again, the Wii didn't recognize the GameCube controller until you were in an actual game that used it. A very bizarre oversight.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:25:14 PM by Adrock »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »
What just happened here?

Friendship is magic.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: May 12, 2012, 12:45:22 AM »
With all this supposed MMO support for Wii U, I hope Nintendo's gearing up for a MMO themselves...

*cough cough* POKEMON *cough*

Sorry, I had something in my throat. What I meant to say was "Come on, Nintendo. Get on that Pokemon MMO already."
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6774 on: May 12, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »
Pokemon MMO would be the last MMO anyone would need.  It would be awesome.  Could start with Generation 1 and new expansions add new lands and new generations.  It would be awesome....more awesome than anything before it.