Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3155831 times)

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6225 on: April 05, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
But no third party would support online without an online strategy from Nintendo (Besides Sega). It would involve too much work for them in regards to creating the infrastructural for online play and I doubt it would have been worth it for third parties. That's why some third parties supported online for the Wii because Nintendo supported and made it a fully fledged feature of the Wii. Nintendo can't just half heartily release a feature and expect it to take off without little input from them. You can't expect third parties to pick up and fix your mistakes.

Nintendo pushed GBA functionality with the GC more than online and it was a dismal failure. I bet that it would have been reverse if they had pushed and supported online instead.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »
So Nintendo has responded to comments about the Wii U's lack of power: http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1222399p1.html

In typical Nintendo fashion they made sure to word things in a way that will cause MORE damage.  They say that the "experience of play" is what is important and that "We do not focus on technology specs."

So is the Wii U underpowered and they're clearly dodging the question or is Nintendo just too oblivious to realize that this sort of answer does more to confirm the negative in people's mind?  It's like when everyone suspects a celebrity is gay and when asked about it he responds something like "I don't think one's personal life is anyone's business" which of course means he IS gay because if he wasn't he would just say "no, I'm not".  Nintendo can kill this whole thing in a second by saying "the Wii U will be more powerful than any videogame system currently on the market" but they don't.  So why wouldn't I assume it IS underpowered?  Why dodge the question when the honest answer will do no damage and will completely kill the issue?

Either it is underpowered or Nintendo is DUH-UH-UMB.  Either one is pretty believable.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:30:41 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: April 05, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
Apparently, Nintendo thinks that they are above idle gossip.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: April 05, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
If a celebrity asked about being gay said he wasn't gay, the media would spin it to make him sound homophobic or something. The media is always looking for a story. This is called a no-win situation. Nintendo opted to stay consistent with their own stance on specs. This is only damaging if you already have a negative view on things. Otherwise, it's Thursday. What else is new?

Additionally, this rep probably doesn't know anything anyway and is just towing the company line with a stock answer to an old question. If people are readying an army of raisins hoping for a PR person to dole out a major scoop, they're going to be sorely disappointed. My previous sentence was inspired by Annie Edison.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
If the rep doesn't know I think a better non-answer would be something like "all details about the Wii U will be revealed when we feel it is the appropriate time.  Until then anything you hear is just uncomfirmed rumours."  Instead the rep basically told us that what we're concerned about doesn't matter anyway.  Not that our concerns were unfounded but that what we were concerned about doesn't matter.  I remember when CDs didn't matter and online gaming didn't matter or how specs didn't matter with the Wii.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
One could argue that specs didn't matter with the Wii.

One could also argue that most people aren't concerned about this. There's more than enough reason to blow off these anonymous sources starting with their anonymity. People with faces and names have already had good things to say about the hardware. Why are you so attached to unconfirmed reports?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:44:11 PM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6231 on: April 05, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
It's not what the rep knows, it's what Nintendo as a company wants to say. The official stance is "Specs don't matter, the experience does," and that's  basically what was said. Nintendo is just sticking to its guns on this one.

New Thought: Maybe Nintendo doesn't want to give specs because it would give Sony and MS too much of a benchmark? If they're next consoles are as close to being done as rumors say, you wouldn't want them to say they're gonna beat that (eventhough they have to and will).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:04:32 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: April 05, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
I saw this yesterday and had the same thoughts as Ian. Though despite having a very powerful console, I see Nintendo as being ever so humble and I knew they'd respond exactly the way they did. Even if they are just being stubborn to stay consistent with statements like that from earlier this gen.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: April 05, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »
It's like when everyone suspects a celebrity is gay and when asked about it he responds something like "I don't think one's personal life is anyone's business" which of course means he IS gay because if he wasn't he would just say "no, I'm not". 
If you really think that argument holds water, then apparently, you are just as stupid and narrow minded as the masses. Come on Ian, I expect better than that from you.
"If you've got nothing to hide, then why don't you answer the question?" "Because I don't fucking have to, that's why. Just cuz you asked, doesn't mean I have to tell you sweet-fVck-all." This is the correct reponse to all questions of a personal or confidential nature, whether or not you have "something to hide."
I realize this may have little or nothing to do with Nintendo's corporate rresponse to questions about " WiiU Powah".
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
It's like when everyone suspects a celebrity is gay and when asked about it he responds something like "I don't think one's personal life is anyone's business" which of course means he IS gay because if he wasn't he would just say "no, I'm not". 
If you really think that argument holds water, then apparently, you are just as stupid and narrow minded as the masses. Come on Ian, I expect better than that from you.
"If you've got nothing to hide, then why don't you answer the question?" "Because I don't fucking have to, that's why. Just cuz you asked, doesn't mean I have to tell you sweet-fVck-all." This is the correct reponse to all questions of a personal or confidential nature, whether or not you have "something to hide."
I realize this may have little or nothing to do with Nintendo's corporate rresponse to questions about " WiiU Powah".

I don't want like police randomly asking people "are you commiting crimes?" and such but if you're asked something and the truthful answer will get everyone off your back and is not damaging or embarassing or controversial in any way whatsoever, it's kind of stupid to not just answer it and relieve yourself of any hassle.  I guess instead of just assuming that one is stupid or hiding something, you can add "needlessly stubborn and bad at picking their battles" as an option.

New Thought: Maybe Nintendo doesn't want to give specs because it would give Sony and MS too much of a benchmark? If they're next consoles are as close to being done as rumors say, you wouldn't want them to say they're gonna beat that (eventhough they have to and will).

Well I don't expect them to just outright give us the specs right now but they don't have to do that to squash this negative rumour.  It isn't top secret information to state that the Wii U is more powerful than the existing consoles.  That's the expectation.  If it ISN'T then what does Sony or MS even have to do in reaction to it?  And the specs will come out prior to Sony and MS releasing their next systems.  That's just what Nintendo has to deal with with going first.  Even if they say nothing once the system is available for purchase, tech savy people can just buy it, open it up, and let everyone know what they see.  Hiding the specs is futile.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: April 05, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
Well, the only good thing about the Wii U being less powerful than the current HD systems is that would make Nintendo hitting that $249.99 or even $199.99 price point doable.

That said, if it does indeed end up being less powerful than the PS360 then I'm afraid I will have to pass, but I will wish Nintendo well in their future endeavors.
is your sanity...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »
What doesn't make sense to me is why we are all of a sudden hearing the exact opposite of what we have been hearing for the last few months.

The rumors were all telling us this thing was a small powerhouse, but we are hearing it is still a limp wristed toy? 

Have new dev kits gone out recently with a massive spec nerf or something?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: April 05, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
Until Nintendo confirms it one way or another we won't know how powerful the Wii U is. Then again, they may just end up doing exactly what they did with the Wii and not give the specs at all. To this date everything we know about the Wii's internal guts is from unauthorized leaks. The Wii U may also end up that way, and if it is we won't know the details until after it launches and some tech savvy individual dissects it.

I have a theory that the reason they are being evasive isn't that it is weaker than the PS360, but rather that it is weaker than the PS420. Maybe that's what Nintendo wants to keep under wraps. Being weaker than the PS420 is acceptable, and I think its expected by pretty much everyone. But at the same time, its not something for Nintendo to be proud of either, so maybe that's why they evade the question.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't realize that evading the question is being interpreted as implying that the Wii U is weaker than the PS360.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:00:03 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: April 05, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
Nintendo isn't going to release the specs. We should all expect this by now. The difference here in 2012 is that the hardware may have actually reached a point where Nintendo can say "specs don't matter" and most people will probably respond, "Okay, fine." In previous generations, we would be seeing developers struggling with the hardware after a few years on the market in order to realize their vision. Looks at some of the games coming out at the end of the year and even stuff that came out in the past 2. I don't know about any of you guys but I don't see games in the future making the current crop look dated.
What doesn't make sense to me is why we are all of a sudden hearing the exact opposite of what we have been hearing for the last few months.
Click bait. Remember all of those "insiders" back in 2005-2006 who ended all of their blog posts with nonsense like "Stay tuned. The Revolution is coming!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: April 05, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
The CEO of Take Two has recently made a statement that THQ will not last another six monsths sue to their financial situation. What does this mean for Darksiders 2 for the Wii U? The gaming industry seems to be in a bad times with SEGA just recently admitting their own financial turmoil.

http://kotaku.com/5899537/grand-theft-auto-publisher-thq-wont-be-around-in-six-months
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6240 on: April 05, 2012, 11:51:05 PM »
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/04/wii-u-launch-date-set-for-november-18-2012-report/

some people may want to reevaluate their choice of launch date in the appropriate thread before it's too late (myself included) ;)

...or maybe not considering that site still has up their story about 768MB of embedded DRAM in the Wii U.
and the story that puts words in the mouth of Take Two and their financial report regarding GTAV.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342798/more-evidence-points-to-wii-u-november-18-release-date/

summary: GameStop agrees and has the same date.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: April 05, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
Back to Neils point that is the traditional date.
Personally I don't think its a good idea to launch it on that date this time but they'll do what they do.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Nintendo Grand Prix?
« Reply #6242 on: April 06, 2012, 12:26:07 AM »
Nintendo working on a GT/Forza of their own?
http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/rumor-nintendo-s-answer-to-gran-turismo-and-forza-in-development-?utm_source=dlvr.it
Nintendo is working on their killer app simulation racer for Wii U that is designed to put GT and Forza on their heels.
Their newest project, which our source (who has insight of Nintendo developments) refers to as "Concept Grand Prix", is in development by Lucid Games made up of ex-Developers of Bizarre Creations (Fur Fighters, Project Gotham Racing, Blur).

Concept Grand Prix is expected to provide extremely realistic physics, with controls and gameplay similar to Project Gotham.

There are more details at the link if you're interested. I'm not, as I prefer my racing to be a little more on the arcadey side than the straight up real-life simulator side of things.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6243 on: April 06, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
Not really a sim racing fan. Forza Motorsport 3 is a little bit fun, but I mainly played it because I got it for free (along with a digital version of Alan Wake when I bought the slim Xbox 360) and saw I could get a few easy Achievement Points. I know plenty of people do like them though, so I hope this is true.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: April 06, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »
All this talk of hardware upsets me. From what we had seen at E3, I really thought this machine would be more powerful than the PS360. But people claiming that it doesn't seem up to par just makes me wonder if I'm going to feel bad about being "a step behind" everyone else for owning a Wii U instead of these next gen Microsoft/Sony machines.

But then again, I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games... because they're damn good. And when people commit to their hardware, they make good things too- the 3DS is a great example of this, with its third party games being pretty good. I think Nintendo's main focus with this next console, really, is going to be how you can use the controller to enhance online playability. I think this is Nintendo's "online age" beginning. And I hope that people respond to it well, because we could end up getting some really cool stuff from it.

HD Zelda doesn't hurt, either.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6245 on: April 06, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
Don't worry, the only people claiming it isn't up to par are some unknown "developers". People who aren't afraid to go on record have said it is more than powerful enough, including Mark Rein (notorious for being a tech-snob) and lots of developers who have gotten their hands on it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: April 06, 2012, 01:30:10 AM »
Nintendo working on a GT/Forza of their own?
http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/rumor-nintendo-s-answer-to-gran-turismo-and-forza-in-development-?utm_source=dlvr.it
Nintendo is working on their killer app simulation racer for Wii U that is designed to put GT and Forza on their heels.
Their newest project, which our source (who has insight of Nintendo developments) refers to as "Concept Grand Prix", is in development by Lucid Games made up of ex-Developers of Bizarre Creations (Fur Fighters, Project Gotham Racing, Blur).

Concept Grand Prix is expected to provide extremely realistic physics, with controls and gameplay similar to Project Gotham.

There are more details at the link if you're interested. I'm not, as I prefer my racing to be a little more on the arcadey side than the straight up real-life simulator side of things.

RAD RACER 2! Oh sweet deliciousness!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: April 06, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »
GAF has once again turned into a festering swamp of Nintendo trolls. I think I prefer to get my rumors in this thread, filtered by BlackNMild and CaterKiller.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: April 06, 2012, 03:35:25 AM »
All this talk of hardware upsets me. From what we had seen at E3, I really thought this machine would be more powerful than the PS360. But people claiming that it doesn't seem up to par just makes me wonder if I'm going to feel bad about being "a step behind" everyone else for owning a Wii U instead of these next gen Microsoft/Sony machines.

But then again, I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games... because they're damn good. And when people commit to their hardware, they make good things too- the 3DS is a great example of this, with its third party games being pretty good. I think Nintendo's main focus with this next console, really, is going to be how you can use the controller to enhance online playability. I think this is Nintendo's "online age" beginning. And I hope that people respond to it well, because we could end up getting some really cool stuff from it.

HD Zelda doesn't hurt, either.

Here this is for you!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-05-wii-u-competitive-position-has-deteriorated?

If aren't worried now, you will be after you read this.

And for those of you who just ignore all analysts like me just read this!
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2012/04/nintendos-e3-show-floor-booths-revealed-haptic-technology-is-coming.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
The feelable touch screen!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:38:00 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: April 06, 2012, 06:08:01 AM »
The Games Industry article is just another analyst taking negative rumors and lack of information to say that Nintendo is a bad bet in the stock market. If I only cared about playing stocks and knew nothing about video games, I guess I would be scared to put money in to Nintendo. Thankfully, I care about video games and, personally, Nintendo has been a consistent performer. The article mentions waiting for E3 2012, and that is stating the obvious.

The haptic technology seems a bit too pricey at the moment for a Nintendo system. I have never seen or handled a haptic screen. It sounds interesting.