Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3156714 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5050 on: November 14, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »
you know Nintendo just needs to release its own games, and stuff to be successful. The Ea thing having too much control. As long as people are buying their consoles because of EA then Nintendo couldn't be happier. The more people who buy their console, the more people are likely to play their games. If Nintendo can drop the bomb at e3, there might be a time in the future where it would be dumb to make games on other systems. Nintendo is in the best position industry wise right now. From all indications Wii U is going to be for third parties what Playstation was for third parties.
I geek out a little on what little I know, but I know enough that I think if i knew more like someone in the industry Id be geeking in my pants.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: November 14, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »
"is in any kind of financial trouble"
Are you kidding me? You quoted less than half of that entire sentence and completely took it out of context. /facepalm
LOL?  You don't qualify for a government handout if you're making money.  Also you're know your hurting when your publisher dumps you again, first MS and now Activision.
This article doesn't suggest that Silicon Knights got bailed out for hemorrhaging money. More like the government is trying to support the expansion of game development in Saint Catherines. The news media is not that kind. If Silicon Knights were in trouble, that's all we'd be hearing because that's the bigger story. The only one sensationalizing things is you.
He griped about poor sales and how poor Nintendo marketted his games.
Would you kindly provide a link? I couldn't find one though beyond a few Google searches, I didn't try terribly hard to help you prove your point. Dyack has gushed over his collaborations with Miyamoto and Nintendo.

Anyway, it's most likely Eternal Darkness. Apparently, Nintendo still owns part of Silicon Knights
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:54:27 PM by Adrock »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5052 on: November 14, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
Yes, many countries, provinces, and localities actually fund game development in hopes in helping their economies.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: November 14, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »
As for the bad blood it has to deal with Too Human going to MS even though Nintendo already gave them years developing th game.  You don't want to hire someone who already burned you once do you? 

Maybe they are working with Konami on making MGS HD. 

As I said earlier, Nintendo still owns a piece of SK which is shown on their Financial Statements.
If SK was on the verge of going down, it might be in their best interest to throw them a bone just to get their stock up to high enough to be profitable to sell.

To be honest, I was surprised to not see Twin Snakes on the list of games in the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection that just released on PS3, since the original MGS was too old to port to HD.  Maybe Nintendo owns the publishing rights on that game?

Nintendo funded the game so I don't see why they wouldn't own it. I believe it was a deal between Nintendo and Konami to get the deal made, SK just happened to be their available dev at the time who did all the work. Konami doesn't own the code.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:48:07 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: November 14, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
If SK was on the verge of going down, it might be in their best interest to throw them a bone just to get their stock up to high enough to be profitable to sell.
It would be even better if Nintendo could get Silicon Knights to the point where they could make great games without the handholding. It's been like 7 years since Silicon Knights and Nintendo ended their exclusive deal. Why hold onto them for so long just to let them flounder? With Wii U on the horizon, it's as good a time as any to bring them back into the fold and put them to work.

I think Silicon Knights can still be a great asset for Nintendo. They have talent and passion but they lack one of the most underrated aspects of creativity: the ability and courage to throw away a bad idea or even a good idea simply because it isn't a great idea. We all know Miyamoto is quite adept at this and for all the things he has supposedly taught Denis Dyack, "upending the tea table" isn't one of them. They can learn that; anyone can.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: November 14, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
I kind of liked Too Human. If they ironed the kinks out of the first one with a sequel it could be great.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
The best thing about Silicon Knights is their name. I remember way back when I was a Wii Lad reading my Nintendo Power magazines and there was one magazine talking about the Dream Team of developers for the N64, and I remember Silicon Knights was one of them. And I was thinking like Wow, this upcoming N64 is going to be awesome because there is these valiant badass Silicon Knights on its side.

So I hope the company doesn't go out of business just for that reason alone.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5057 on: November 15, 2011, 12:45:32 AM »
Silicon Knights was not part of the N64 "Dream Team" Nintendo announced.

The only game of theirs I have played was Eternal Darkness, which I liked but did not think it was great. I am not sure I would want Nintendo to have them handle any sequel to the game (though maybe they could do a good job with Nintendo's supervision).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: November 15, 2011, 01:01:08 AM »

Yeah they were, because I remember it.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: November 15, 2011, 01:09:35 AM »

You're probably thinking of Silicon Graphics, one of the teams who helped design the Nintendo 64 hardware. Silicon Knights signed on in 1998 to create Eternal Darkness for the Nintendo 64, which was mentioned in Nintendo Power a few times. That's probably what you're mixing things up with.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: November 15, 2011, 01:09:44 AM »
Rare, Retro Studios and Silicone Knights were part of the Gamecube dream team and not the N64.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: November 15, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »

You're probably thinking of Silicon Graphics, one of the teams who helped design the Nintendo 64 hardware. Silicon Knights signed on in 1998 to create Eternal Darkness for the Nintendo 64, which was mentioned in Nintendo Power a few times. That's probably what you're mixing things up with.

I guess that's possible. Its been like 15 or 16 years, so....
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: November 15, 2011, 02:02:24 AM »
Silicone Knights

This will certainly get Dyack's creative juices flowing for ideas for the next Eternal Darkness. Although I would not mind seeing a new Legacy of Kain helmed by SK, SE and Nintendo. Perhaps Konami could contract SK to help in remaking the first Metal Gear game for 3DS?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: November 15, 2011, 02:07:47 AM »
well they weren't part of the original dream team, but they were in the fold not long after, i remember when Eternal Darkness was first announced, it looked radically different then what came out. Although towards the end of its n64 development it looked like the same game with shitty graphics. I remember when Eternal Darkness came out though, I and two others were excited. I think I reserved it, as pointless as that was. I got a giant stand from EB games, it disappeared one day(i think my dad took it to the dump).

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: November 15, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
Creepy Cat is Creepy.

And that's the last time I try and applaud MegaByte.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
Creepy Cat is Creepy.

And that's the last time I try and applaud MegaByte.

You can just applaud me instead since ALL HIS APPLAUDS ARE BELONG TO ME

and I just updated the rumor consolidation (see my sig)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: November 17, 2011, 02:22:51 AM »

cat with my dad

RIP K.C

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:27 AM »
Hey, so how about those rumors?

Don't make me change the name of the thread to "The OFFICIAL Big N rumor AND CATS thread *bring your own salt*.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: November 17, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »
I hear there will be a new Nintendogs and Cats

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
Rumor has it that the Wii U dev kits have atleast 2GB RAM inside of them.

For debugging purposes you usually have more RAM than the final hardware, so if the SDK has 2GB RAM, then that could mean that the Wii U is likely intended to have ~1.5GB RAM.

But since nothing is finalized yet, those numbers could improve.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: November 17, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
The Wii U needs to have at least 2GB of RAM because that's what the competition is likely to have, and its important not to be outclassed. So if the Dev Kits must have more RAM than the final product I would feel more comfortable if those Dev Kits had like 4GB of RAM or something.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: November 17, 2011, 01:22:55 PM »
Wii U will likely get outclasses either way. Nintendo just needs to make sure that their console is efficient and polished so developers feel like they can still make great games on it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
MS will spend more and lose more upfront to have a more powerful system than Nintendo. They can afford to do so with profits from other departments covering their losses.
Sony will be late to the game and by default will push better tech because of it. They can't afford to take a bath in upfront losses this time around, but I don't they will have to.

It's no secret and something that we all expect. Nintendo will likely have the weakest of the 3 this upcoming generation. But the important thing to remember is that being the weakest won't really matter if the gap is more like last gen (PS2//GC/Xbox) than this gen (Wii////////360/PS3).
Wii U will have enough power to outclass current gen system which already happen to be powerful enough to receive ports of current PC games thanks to the game engines being extremely scalable.

If the 360 can receive a good port of a high-end PC game that run at acceptable framerates with decent texture work, then the Wii U will be able to run that same game at better framerates with even better texture work. Maybe not quite up to MAXIMUM PC SETTINGS, but it will be good enough.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:36:25 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: November 18, 2011, 03:21:13 AM »
ew 1.5, im hoping for at least 4