Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3163398 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4975 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
I want to see Smash Bros. 3DS come out in early 2012 and Smash Bros. Wii U come out late 2012.

The development on the games hasn't begun yet, so that's impossible. The absolute earliest we're seeing the game, at least the Wii U version, is Holiday 2013, and this being Sakurai I'd be very surprised if they hit even that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: September 26, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »
As amazing/horrible that would be, I think Luigi Dude is right in that we wont see this game until 2015 at the earliest. By then the world will be destroyed anyway so who cares?

That's my point. We need to have these games out before the Mayan calendar ends.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: September 27, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »
That would be nice but it's not terribly plausible.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4978 on: September 27, 2011, 11:45:34 PM »
That would be nice but it's not in the least bit plausible.

Fixed.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Leaf Green 3DS & Slide Pad LM2?
« Reply #4979 on: October 06, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »
Leaf Green 3DS & Luigi's Mansion 2 slide pad compatible!?

or a bad joke and bad photoshop?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4980 on: October 06, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
The bad joke is that Luigi's Mansion is getting a sequel.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: October 06, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »
Once again one of my slider related predictions is coming true. I'm on a roll here. Now we have an official Nintendo 1st party game which supports the slider in addition to the 6+ 3rd party games that we already knew supported. So face it folks, whether you like it or not this is the new standard and there WILL be a revision which will fuse it into the system at some point.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: October 06, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »
Hold up now, don't get too far ahead of yourself.
We have no idea if this document is even real.

It was found on a Japanese blog supposedly posted by a Japanese retailer that got it from a Nintendo rep., so it's nothing more than rumor and conjecture at this point.

It makes sense that it would happen, especially with all the 3DS colors coming out and the fact that Nintendo would want atleast one 1st party title to support this new peripheral, but I wouldn't put it in stone just yet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:04:45 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: October 06, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
I know, but the dual slider addon itself started out as rumor and conjecture but now its a confirmed fact. But even before you posted that I thought it was going to happen anyway, because its necessary for that game. You need to have two analog sticks so you can fight with the ghosts like reeling in a fish.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: October 06, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »
Since the original Luigi's Mansion had a two-stick option, I wouldn't be surprised if Luigi's Mansion 2 had the option for the second slide pad. It would make some sense.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: October 10, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »
I don't remember it being an option. Wasn't it the default control method? I just played it the default way and didn't think anything about it.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: October 10, 2011, 08:23:34 PM »
It's been a long time, but I remember not liking the C-stick so I stopped using it in Luigi's Mansion. I have no idea if that was an in-game option or if I just chose not to touch it. Though now that I think about it, you might have to hold both sticks in the opposite direction of the ghosts to wrangle them, so maybe I just used it when it was necessary.

Regardless, Luigi's Mansion 2 was in development before the second slide pad attachment was created, so they've already created a normal control scheme. I do think the game will be compatible with the attachment because it would make some sense, but not a requirement.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: October 11, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »
Regardless, Luigi's Mansion 2 was in development before the second slide pad attachment was created, so they've already created a normal control scheme. I do think the game will be compatible with the attachment because it would make some sense, but not a requirement.

I openly speculated in a thread weeks ago that LM2 might have been the game which actually set the analog slider addon in motion. There are other games like Monster Hunter which apparently benefit from it too, but LM2 is a first party game and has probably been in development just as long or even longer.

I really don't think MH3G has been in development that long, even though it will come out before Luigi's Mansion. The reason is because MH3G is basically just a rehash of MH Tri from the Wii with only a few additions and tweaks, so the work on it was already done. Luigi's Mansion 2 on other hand is being made completely from scratch. Unless they are reusing code from the original Gamecube game, which is possible but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:17:15 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4988 on: October 11, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »
If LM2 would've made Nintendo make the add-on, they would've just had the second slide pad on the system in the first place. It's their game on their system. The add-on had to come from outside pressure because again, LM2 demoed without it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: October 11, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
If LM2 would've made Nintendo make the add-on, they would've just had the second slide pad on the system in the first place. It's their game on their system. The add-on had to come from outside pressure because again, LM2 demoed without it.

It should have, and it probably will in a future revision. Its hard to say why it didn't get included in the first place, but clearly it was a mistake that it wasn't.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: October 11, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
By nixing the right slider, I think it's possible that Nintendo was hoping to discourage developers from just developing console games for 3DS which the exact opposite point of the DS line. Instead of discouraging console games from appearing on 3DS, it discouraged all games from appearing on the handheld so it pretty much just backfired. Sure, you can make games without a right analog stick, but why should you when it works?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:23:46 PM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4991 on: October 11, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
I think this just stemmed from Nintendo's usual short sightedness. They don't need a second stick for the games they make, so they didn't put one on the system. Plain and simple. It probably would've been better for them to get developer input sooner in to the design of the system. Capcom is clearly incredibly influential.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
Nintendo also probably figured that since the DS didn't have any sort of analogue, simply adding one would be enough. I'm also not sure how a second slide pad would work on the current 3DS design. Many people already complain about how uncomfortable the D-pad is to use. If there were a second slide pad, either it would be in the same spot as the D-pad except on the right side, or the buttons would be down there if the pad were on top. Both of those options sound awkward to use.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: October 12, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
We should also remember the dual slider addon is more than just a slider. Doesn't it also add some shoulder buttons as well? That's the thing that isn't really talked about very much. I don't think extra shoulder buttons are as essential, but there are times when it is useful. What this addon does is give the 3DS the same level of inputs basically as a dualshock or xbox or GC controller. Before that, the 3DS was basically just an SNES controller with an analog slider, but now with this addon its on par with modern controllers.

Why is that important? Well for one thing this means multiplatform developers can more easily port their games to the 3DS. They don't have to change anything at all as far as the controls are concerned. Before the addon they would have had to cut stuff and make changes in order to shoehorn games into the controls, but now they no longer have to.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: October 12, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »
Yeah, the slide pad attachment adds two shoulder buttons, one on each side. However, it still isn't on par with the XBox 360 or PS3 controllers, as the sticks on those can be pressed like a button and the slide pads can't. I don't know if that functionality really matters, though.

What I wonder is how a redesign could include both the slide pad and the extra shoulder buttons. If they try shoving those onto the current model then things are going to be very cramped. But if they make it bigger then it may not be as portable. This is the dilemma they face with it. I would personally like a larger model since it would be more comfortable to me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4995 on: October 12, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »
I expected any redesign to be larger anyway. There isn't a lot of room to make the current model smaller without reducing the size of the screens which would be silly.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: October 12, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
I don't have a problem with it getting bigger. The only people who care about that are the ones who insist on carrying it around in their pockets, but that's just a recipe for it getting scratched or broken so you should be carrying it in a protective carrying case anyway. Maybe making the system larger will encourage better handling practices, I dunno.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: October 12, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
Nintendo operates in the here and now, to a point that is ridiculous.  This is the company that stuck with cartridges on the N64, didn't go online with the Gamecube, and didn't support HDTV connections on the Wii. They had a justification each time but it was based so much on the present that like a year later the decision looked archaic.  They just don't think far enough ahead.

So I'll bet when they designed the 3DS they at that specific point in time had no plans to need a second analog stick.  Later they realized they did.  Ooops.  It was probably when they designed the Wii U tablet, where a second analog stick was an obvious choice and realized that without one they couldn't use the 3DS as a tablet replacement.  It's the same mindset that observed that not enough people were on broadband in 2002 but didn't take into account how many people would be in 2004.  Nintendo doesn't future proof.

And the big difference here is that THEY are the ones that need to fix the oversight.  When it's third parties or consumers that want it?  **** it.  Doesn't matter.  But when Nintendo needs it?  Yeah, they're on that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: October 12, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »
I was under the impression that Capcom dangling Monster Hunter in front of their noses changed Nintendo's mind.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: October 12, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »
It's the same mindset that observed that not enough people were on broadband in 2002 but didn't take into account how many people would be in 2004.

That's not really fair, though. Because Nintendo did release a broadband adapter for the Gamecube. Its not entirely their fault that only one or two games supported it. Now you might argue the Gamecube should have had ethernet built into it right from the beginning, but by that same logic why don't you criticize the PS2 for it? The PS2 didn't have ethernet in the beginning either, but it was added later. The PS2 had like 6 times the marketshare that the Gamecube had and no shortage of 3rd party software, so of course it managed to pull the broadband adapter off. Online failed on the GC simply because the GC itself failed. At least Nintendo provided the option for developers to use it, though.
is your sanity...