Author Topic: NOA's David Young on the DSi Launch  (Read 2871 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
NOA's David Young on the DSi Launch
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:06:41 AM »
New interview with NOA Associate PR Manager discusses Japanese games and region-locking.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18194

SiliconEra recently published an interview with David Young, Associate Public Relations Manager at Nintendo of America, regarding the launch of the Nintendo DSi.  Like many of Nintendo's products, Young said that the biggest challenge with the DSi is "getting it into people's hands and letting them experience what it's about."  He also said that the level of DSi unit "production was pretty aggressive," indicating that widespread, Wii-style sellouts were not likely to be the case with the portable (this has since proven to be true).    

While there was no confirmation of GameBoy games being sold on the DSi Shop or VC game sharing between the Wii and DSi, Young did mention that a "good portion" of DSiWare titles in Japan – such as the Moving Memo Pad– will find their way to North America.  He also reiterated that Square Enix is working on DSiWare titles, and that there will be DS games enhanced with DSi features similar to GameBoy Color-enhanced games of the past.    

An interesting part of the interview was when Young was asked about DSi region-locking.  He explained that the DSi is "more of a network device" than the DS, introducing the need for greater content-locking abilities (the DSi, like the Wii, has parental controls that allow games with certain ratings to be locked out).  Due to the different ratings systems across the different release territories, region-locking became a necessary feature.  Young refused to speculate as to whether DSi-enhanced games would be region-locked, however.    

Young was also pressed as to whether or not we'd see several Japanese games like Soma Bringer and Archaic Sealed Heat in North America, and he refused comment.  He explained that while he'd love to see games like those and the remaining Mother games brought over, what gets released in North America is really out of Nintendo of America's hands.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: NOA's David Young on the DSi Launch
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
Young was also pressed as to whether or not we'd see several Japanese games like Soma Bringer and Archaic Sealed Heat in North America, and he refused comment.  He explained that while he'd love to see games like those and the remaining Mother games brought over, what gets released in North America is really out of Nintendo of America's hands.
Mother 3 has, supposedly, copyright issues. The first two, however, aren't casual enough for Reggie I suppose.

Soma Bringer interests me. ASH, not at all.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »
Mother 3 copyright issues are BS from what I can tell. I've never heard anything about any copyright issues (please explain what they are), Nintendo just doesn't want to release it here.

One thing that really bugs me is when people write "GameBoy" or "Gameboy". It's "Game Boy", 2 words and it has always been that way. After 20 years of different systems you wouldn't think people would still be getting the name wrong.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
He also said that the level of DSi unit "production was pretty aggressive," indicating that widespread, Wii-style sellouts were not likely to be the case with the portable (this has since proven to be true).   

Lol, Pale.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:39:22 PM »
Good to see David Young getting his name out there.  He's a super nice guy and knows a lot more about Nintendo than most of the execs.  He used to record all the automated hints at Nintendo's long-distance (non-900) tip line.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to badger Nintendo on Soma Bringer and ASH. They should have badgered him about Fatal Frame as well.

They don't decide what comes? They why did Reggie specifically imply that he blocked Disaster from an American release?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »
They don't decide what comes? They why did Reggie specifically imply that he blocked Disaster from an American release?

This is what I don't get either.  It's very hard to get a sense of exactly what input NOA has in determining what comes out in North America.  My only conclusion is that it varies from release to release.  It's probably a political thing, where if somebody (i.e. Reggie) really campaigns to have a game released here, it will get done.  But Reggie probably really has to make a compelling business case in such instances.

David Young is a great guy, and he also has the coolest tattoo ever:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=9713
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
David Young is a great guy, and he also has the coolest tattoo ever:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=9713

Sorry, I never made it past the top photograph.  DAY-UMM
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Doesn't Reggie pretty much have absolute power to decide things like that because he's in charge of maintaining the disruption?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:12:20 PM »
Doesn't Reggie pretty much have absolute power to decide things like that because he's in charge of maintaining the disruption?

You would think so but maybe NCL is a bit more hands on than other Japanese companies in localization decisions.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »