Author Topic: New Nintendo 3DS Models Announced  (Read 23494 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: New Nintendo 3DS Models Announced
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »
DSi was released just short of four years after the original DS. New 3DS will be releasing about a little more than three and a half years after 3DS. That's pretty close. The difference here is Xenoblade which I wouldn't necessarily call a major release. It's bigger than anything DSi had, but it's still a port of a niche game. 3DS has shown that it can handle Wii ports with minimal graphical downgrades (e.g. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D). I can't imagine there are many Wii games 3DS cannot handle, Xenoblade being more the exception than the rule.

I read an article that mentioned that New 3DS' extra processing power greatly improves downloading speeds. That's what I expect was the primary reason for bumping up the specs, not for the purpose of releasing exclusive games. I expect those to be few and far between.

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »
There is no direct parallel but it is close enough to say yeah they have been gearing up for this for a while. Also the market overall has changed dramatically since those days, computers weren't even viable alternatives to console gaming back then, and outside of Game Boy and Game Gear devices you had Tiger handhelds, there were not real competition to the dedicated handhelds and they did actually intend Virtual Boy to be the successor to Game Boy but it failed to catch on so they when back to the drawing board and basically turned it into a Game Gear and called it a day.

Getting back to Game Boy Color, I could be remembering wrong its been a while but didn't they launch it with Zelda DX and Mario DX, basically just colorized editions of games already available on the previous system? I think Zelda is was the handheld version, maybe Link's Awakening, but Mario was just plain old Super Mario Bros, same old NES game they keep re-selling over and over. I don't think Micro had any big re-issues with it but Micro was a mistake from day one, it was just a move to appease share holders incase DS flopped, they learned their lesson about needing a plan b with Virtual Boy being a dud that came close to taking them down, their original strategy back then was to have Ultra 64 also have a similar VR unit too, Sega and Atari were doing the same things then when VB crashed and burned, Sega and Atari fell into a black hole, Nintendo snapped out of their illusion and went with Plan B, which worked out okay for them.

Dropping Wii U and going portable only *IS* plan B for them, its been discussed countless times by everyone, aside from going 3rd party its the most talked about strategy for their future, I think if this holiday fails to meet expectations they might have to implement a plan b to stay in business, unlike Sony who can afford to loose money because they have other divisions to sell off, for now anyways, Nintendo can't they lost money 2 years in a row they are desperate not to have a repeat so they will do anything to prevent that from happening, it was year 4 of Sega bleeding money they went into nightmare panic mode and from there they fizzled out. Atari was different because they had patents to live off for a while and they owned AOL at one time.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »
Was surprised they didn't announce this at e3,  the 3ds sales spiked last year so it was only a matter of time before a reversion especially in Japan who go nuts over "new" gadgets. 

On the up side, Nintendo themselves might be more supportive of "CCP" options now since the 3DSLL will have those features as standard.  I would've loved KI but the controls were a mess--would rebuy in a heart beat if an second analog control option was available.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »

I want this one!

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »
On the up side, Nintendo themselves might be more supportive of "CCP" options now since the 3DSLL will have those features as standard.  I would've loved KI but the controls were a mess--would rebuy in a heart beat if an second analog control option was available.

I would as well. I love everything about the KI reboot except for the controls. I tried to learn them and just don't want to. I wish they would release a patch. They did a control patch for Pikmin 3 on the Wii U so I don't see a problem with the 3DS getting these major patches as well.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
So all you Nintendo whores that bent over backwards for the outright scam that was the DSi, this is YOUR fault!  **** all of you for making Nintendo think they can get away with this ****!
Oh yeah? Well YOU didn't buy ExciteBots and many other awesome Wii games, so screw you too, good sir.

This is like the third time Nintendo has done pretty much this exact thing with a handheld line. Anyone surprised by this hasn't been paying attention.
I don't think anyone is surprised that this thing exists, except maybe people who are surprised that the sky is still blue.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
I don't think anyone is surprised that this thing exists, except maybe people who are surprised that the sky is still blue.

What the heck?! It was black last night! What happened? I hate blue. Wii want black!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
I thought that once you go black you don't go back? I went from a white DS Lite to a black DSi to a blue 3DS XL and now expect to go to a silver NEW3DSXL.
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
Once you go black, you go deaf. Big difference.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 01:10:03 AM »
Oh yeah? Well YOU didn't buy ExciteBots and many other awesome Wii games, so screw you too, good sir.
I don't think that person bought or played any videogame in the last decade, let alone Nintendo.

This type enjoy forum activities more than gaming.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 08:08:46 AM »
I figure this co-existing with the 3DS and 2DS will continue to cause massive confusion with consumers and that's good because Nintendo needs to get knocked down a peg for this Sega-style bullshit.  My thinking right now is that there is no point in buying a Nintendo handheld while it is current because they're just waiting to release some bullshit half-step revision on you.  Might as well wait and get an outdated used model when it's cheap.  That's Sega.  They ruined consumer trust by releasing new platforms that they discontinued early.  I feel that way with Nintendo and handhelds.  I don't trust them.  Hey, now I don't trust Nintendo consoles OR handhelds.  Now that is fucking Sega!
This is my only fear with it. Marketing is going to be as bad, if not worse, as the Wii U.
"The New 3DS. Is it a new platform? Is it an upgrade to the 3DS? Who the hell knows?!"
You could replace 3DS with Wii U in that statement and you get how the Wii U originally was.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Nintendo should probably call it 3DS Advance, or Super 3DS (because kytim).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »
3DS 64.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »
3DSboy.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »
Nintendo3DSCube64AdvanceGenesisSaturnStation
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
You ruined it.

Mods, please close this thread.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
All "NEW",3DS games should be exclusive to the eShop and only accessible through said device. That way there can be no brand confusion at retail.

This had been happening since the 90's. Expansion Pack, Dsi, Wii Motion Plus.  And not just with Nintendo. It's at a price point that lends itself to refreshes more so than relaunch.

And it doesn't effect Smash4 far as I can tell so bunk that noise.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
All "NEW",3DS games should be exclusive to the eShop and only accessible through said device. That way there can be no brand confusion at retail.

This had been happening since the 90's. Expansion Pack, Dsi, Wii Motion Plus.  And not just with Nintendo. It's at a price point that lends itself to refreshes more so than relaunch.

And it doesn't effect Smash4 far as I can tell so bunk that noise.
He's right here. When they came out with the N64 expansion pack and Wii Motion Plus they continued to make games that worked the old way, but they also made one that only worked with the new hard ware and I don't know about all of you, but my friends and I all figured it out and with N64 that was before the day when any confused mom at Walmart could pull out her smart phone and look it up

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
This is my only fear with it. Marketing is going to be as bad, if not worse, as the Wii U.
"The New 3DS. Is it a new platform? Is it an upgrade to the 3DS? Who the hell knows?!"
You could replace 3DS with Wii U in that statement and you get how the Wii U originally was.

Solution: market it on the aspect that it's faster. More RAM, faster downloads, etc.

Bundle in Xenoblade, raise the price versus other markets... and suddenly it doesn't matter that their is a game that doesn't work on older models as its a pack-in to purchase.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
I'm still hoping they'll change the name for the US but it probably won't happen.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
Who are in charge of naming Nintendo's new systems these days because they need to be fired, and then rehired and fired again.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »
I'm still hoping they'll change the name for the US but it probably won't happen.

I'm still hoping they'll change the name of the Wii U...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2014, 11:17:24 AM »
Is it any worse than Xbox One? New 3DS sounds like they have to make this the last 3DS they ever make otherwise they are in trouble naming wise. Can't have a Newer 3DS down the road. I am more curious what the next Xbox will be called, I just hope not actually Next Xbox.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
I think you underestimate Nintendo if you think this name means they can't put out another 3DS revision later on.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2014, 10:43:23 PM »

I think you underestimate Nintendo if you think this name means they can't put out another 3DS revision later on.

NEW 3DSi next May
My Game Collection