Author Topic: I would like to study you guys  (Read 4338 times)

I would like to study you guys
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
I am a year and a half away from finishing up my communications degree, currently I am taking a sociology class and a course in communications theory. My project in both courses requires doing some research into ways people communicate. Because we are living in modern technological times the professor is talking a lot about how the internet affects our views on communication. Anyways I would like to ask if the people here wouldn't mind being observed and studied for my project? I don't fully know all the requirements as this is still the first week of class, so I will probably modify my thesis once I get closer to writing something more concrete. I took a marketing class last semester and got a really good grade on a paper I wrote about the difficulties facing the Wii U in the marketplace, which earned me an A so they say to write about things you are interested in and have previous knowledge of so I was thinking this is the only social group I am actively a part of outside of work at the moment I should study this group. I am also a semi-active member of the Blu Ray forums but that site is no where near the low levels of regular posters like here and they aren't as tight knit as you all appear to be so it makes more sense to study a crowd that is more intimate than a large, shifting crowd whose make up is less familiar. If anyone wants to share their views, ask questions, offer concerns, or get some input on what I intend to do please feel free to share those here in this thread.

Also keep in mind this is for school so while my posts here will remain casual, my research is important to me so the actual paper will be far different in tone and style than the slop I spill over your laptop screens daily.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to study you guys
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »
I'm ok with that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
How will you "study" us?

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
I would just observe our interactions and relate it to the topics in my courses.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:10 AM »
I would say that it actually doesn't depend on us but on getting the consent of the NWR Corporation itself.

As is mentioned at the bottom of the Terms of Membership (the long, proper version in the rules thread):

Thanks for joining the Nintendo World Report Forums. All your post are belong to us.

I've always taken it that anything I or others post is property of NWR, hence, why they must moderate and manage it in order to provide legal security for themselves.

And, wowzers! I read that whole long proper version and Unclebob was probably right to ban everyone on these forums the other day. I think everyone posting has broken a guideline listed in it. I never paid much attention to the proper version as I studied the more recent rule listings of late but they don't come close to explain all the ways a poster can get in trouble like the proper version. User beware.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
Well technically as a sociological study I could just study you guys without telling you and keep my findings private. But the book brings up ethical questions about doing just that so I opted for full disclosure up front instead. In reality I might do something else I am still not entirely sure what the assignment is and I have a couple of months to put it all together. My thesis statement doesn't even have to be turned in until 3 more weeks.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »
The fact that 90% of us are Ty's dupes might complicate things for you.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
or add an interesting dynamic to the study.? If this was a psychology class maybe that would interesting.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »
You should attempt to psychoanalyze us and post what you diagnose each of us with. That could be quite humorous.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
I would except I am taking a Sociology class not Psychology. Next term I am doing Anthropology though.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »
The Evolution of a Niche Forum Member: A Case Study on Internet Shenanigans
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
To be honest this is the most interesting community forum I am currently a member of. Not the most active, this place is a ghost town compared to the blu ray forums but that place is a damn zoo. I used to be a regular member on the Sega forums but most of those guys went insane a few years back and still every other topic is nothing but when will they return to making game consoles. All the other forums I used to frequent are too niche so this is my best hope. Plus the people here generally tend to get along better than other communities and are more welcoming to outsiders, some places just treat you like a damn troll because you weren't around when the site was still an alt news group. And yes I used to frequent a couple of alt news groups too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »
I do not give permission to be in a study.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 03:17:17 AM »
I am a year and a half away from finishing up my communications degree

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »
This could be like Jane Goodall and the chimps.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »
Its with an emphasis in Mass Media, I am going into television. It already got me a job at the local ABC station so whats your point?