Author Topic: Wii Successor and Glassess Free 3D: How Will It Work?  (Read 132024 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Successor and Glassess Free 3D: How Will It Work?
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
I am under the impression that Move and Kinect will not gain as much momentum as motion control for the wii. The PS3 and 360 are just too hard core for such things as motion control.

As far as storage solutions go, I have a feeling that we will not have to worry about filling up our wii 2 fridges any time soon.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
There is a way to adapt motion control to the "core" group of gamers out there, including myself... it's just... I don't believe it's been created yet. Wii comes really close, especially with Motion +, but I think there's more that can be done.  Precision movements and gestures are of the utmost importance here. However, I do love my Wii games... the "core" based games, that is. Out of the 30+ games I own for the Wii, maybe 5 are more casual oriented.  But 360/PS3 only gamers out there don't see this... they see waggle.  I wish they could see it from the perspective of the core Nintendo fans left in this world, but that's probably never gonna happen -- until a new method of motion is created.

I fully expect Nintendo to do this with its next console...all the while keeping in tune with what core gamers love most.  And that's traditional controls.  It is possible to have the best of both worlds, ya know.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
We know 3rd parties didn't take the Wii seriously at launch and put out AAA software because they underestimated how well the Wii would sell, using GameCube sales as their basis of comparison.  By the time 3rd parties started taking the Wii more seriously, no one was buying their software.  Now we're in the period where once again 3rd parties don't have faith that the Wii is a viable platform for major titles.  It'll be interesting to see if history repeats itself and we see 3rd parties using weak 3rd party Wii software sales as the basis for not taking the Wii 2 seriously, especially if the PS3 continues to gain traction and Kinect takes off for Microsoft.

Third parties like ports so I figure if the Wii 2 is comparable in hardware to whatever else is out there at the time (I'm guessing the PS3 and X360 are going to around for a while still) then they'll probably port whatever titles are big at the time and I think that will give the Wii 2 more credibiliy.  With the Wii they were porting old PS2 games since that was a better hardware match.  A port of a six month old game is pretty normal for a launch.  Ports of last gen games are not and those are a harder sell.  Stuff like Guitar Hero 3 where it was a current multiplatform game that was just a little bit late on the Wii sold well.

What I want to see from Nintendo is more of the everyone console they always talk about.  They made some big cash from casuals and non-gamers so, though I personally would prefer it, I'm not going to ask them to abandon that group in favour of core gamers.  But the Wii was and is very much a more casual oriented system.  Even if that wasn't the plan, that's what happened.  Core gamers picked the PS3 and X360 and the developers all picked those consoles as well.  I want something more balanced.  I want the Wii 2 to be the number one choice for everyone - core, casual, whatever.  Right now it's like the industry is split between two markets.  Let's have one market and Nintendo's console on top of that.  I want middle-aged housewives and their teenage sons playing the same console, just different games.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
A port of Resident Evil 5 for wii 2 with advanced motion controls would be nice. But just porting over titles from the HD consoles is not a good idea on its own. We need new third party titles built from the ground up.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »
A port of Resident Evil 5 for wii 2 with advanced motion controls would be nice. But just porting over titles from the HD consoles is not a good idea on its own. We need new third party titles built from the ground up.

I don't think we're going to have a choice but to see only Wii 2-exclusive 3rd party games.  I think Nintendo's ego, as a company, is too big to allow themselves after Wii to release a console that's "only" more powerful and "only" has better motion controls (especially after Sony and Microsoft already did that).  I think they saw with Wii, DS, and now 3DS that gimmicks are the way to go with supplementary toys added here and there for certain games (see: the Classic Controller, MotionPlus, the Wii Wheel, WiiSpeak, the Wii Balance Board, and perhaps eventually the Vitality Sensor), and they'll force some new control interface on us that makes even porting titles not worth the time and resources.  For the sake of actually having 3rd party support on Wii 2, I hope they don't do that but I suspect Nintendo's pride won't allow them to do anything less as a follow-up to Wii.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:27:23 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2010, 04:21:47 PM »

No, RE5 is too old.  I mean like a port that is only a few months old.  Let's say for example that Nintendo released the Wii 2 later this year and Final Fantasy XIII was one of the launch titles.  That game came out this year.  It's a pretty recent title so in the end the Wii 2 version would only be about seven or eight months old.  It would be a port but it would be released close enough to the original release that if it did well Square Enix would think that making Final Fantasy XIV for all three consoles would be the ideal way to go.  Realistically I think the goal should be to get rid of that situation where games are released for everything BUT Nintendo's console.  Just getting those multiplatform games would be good enough, especially since in this day and age third party exclusives are more rare.  I think if it was easy to do, third parties would do it.

I think Nintendo's ego, as a company, is too big to allow themselves after Wii to release a console that's "only" more powerful and "only" has better motion controls (especially after Sony and Microsoft already did that).

I fully expect them to do that and I think it's important to attract the casual market.  But I don't think it matters unless they specifically DON'T do that other stuff and just end up making a Wii 1.5 with everything riding on the new gimmick.  I don't care about the gimmick, just don't skimp on the other stuff.  If they at the very least don't put themselves at a major hardware disadvantage again, things will improve.  I want a normal controller as a pack-in as well but I'm really not expecting that.  But just don't make it so we trade better hardware for a gimmick controller.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:28:48 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
I do not care about gimmicks as long as Nintendo keeps up with the times. Now, Nintendo has always done buisness by staying one step behind their competition and offering a better deal. The wii 2 will have high defenition graphics, but it will be blended with Nintendo's magic.

Having a GTA and a true Final Fantasy game for the wii 2 would be a massive deal for Nintendo. It would symbolize third parties attempts to make the wii 2 a viable play ground for their games on the system.

Activision needs to put Bungie on developing a massive new franchise for the wii2.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:12:23 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »
I fully expect Nintendo to do this with its next console...all the while keeping in tune with what core gamers love most.  And that's traditional controls.
Speak for yourself.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
I fully expect Nintendo to do this with its next console...all the while keeping in tune with what core gamers love most.  And that's traditional controls.
Speak for yourself.
No. I'm speaking for the majority of core gamers. :)

Look, I love motion controls, too, ok. But you and I don't fall under the typical "core" gamer stereotype that plagues the industry that we love in current times. We're also Nintendo gamers, and all I'm suggesting is, like Ian has been saying, that Nintendo cater to BOTH crowds this next go-around. That's all.

No defying you. Promise. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I don't know mate, I don't really believe the stereotype that "core" or "hardcore" gamers don't like change. I don't think it's that they don't want motion control, I think it's that they want meaningful motion control if it suits the game type, that doesn't replace traditional control or come at a sacrifice of other features like HD and online play. Fixing that issue is still doing what you suggest, so I guess it doesn't really matter which is the case.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
I don't know mate, I don't really believe the stereotype that "core" or "hardcore" gamers don't like change. I don't think it's that they don't want motion control, I think it's that they want meaningful motion control if it suits the game type, that doesn't replace traditional control or come at a sacrifice of other features like HD and online play. Fixing that issue is still doing what you suggest, so I guess it doesn't really matter which is the case.

That's about where I am with Motion Control: if it's done well, I don't mind it.  But I want the option of using traditional controls.

Similarly, I can tolerate casual-focused mini-game collections like Wii Sports Resort, but I also want First Person Shooters, RPGs, 3rd Person Shooters, Adventure Games, etc.  I want the richer experiences along with the casual games, something the Wii couldn't manage more than once or twice a year (forcing me to have to purchase the other two consoles to fulfill my gaming needs).  I want that variety with Wii 2, and for that matter I'd also like Nintendo to actually make a new game from a new core-oriented franchise on Wii 2.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2010, 06:24:33 PM »
I don't know mate, I don't really believe the stereotype that "core" or "hardcore" gamers don't like change. I don't think it's that they don't want motion control, I think it's that they want meaningful motion control if it suits the game type, that doesn't replace traditional control or come at a sacrifice of other features like HD and online play.

That's more or less how I feel about it.  I don't hate motion control in theory, it's just that so far the best use of it has been a sports themed mini-game collection.  Usually "motion control" means substituting responsive controls for gimmicky hand waving that is less precise and more of a pain in the ass to perform than just a button press.  It seems to be a concept that so far has a lot of kinks to work out and for me its presence usually makes a game WORSE because I feel I have to fight the controls.  Sony and MS appear to be continuing the trend of it being an irritating novelty which is kind of a bummer.  I just want to play good games with non-broken controls.  Until you get motion control running smoothly then please give me the option to pretend it doesn't even exist and choose normal controls that have worked like a dream for over 30 years.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »
What will the wii 2 look like? I am betting that it will similar to the wii, but with a few minor tweaks. I actually liked the look of the N64, so a return to that design would be kind of nice.

If games for the wii 2 have the same production value as thos for the PS360, I may never buy another console ever again.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:00:51 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
What will the wii 2 look like? I am betting that it will similar to the wii, but with a few minor tweaks. I actually liked the look of the N64, so a return to that design would be kind of nice.

If games for the wii 2 have the same production value as thos for the PS360, I may never buy another console ever again.

I told myself that when the Gamecube was called the N2000. Look where we are now.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »
It'll be interesting to see if history repeats itself and we see 3rd parties using weak 3rd party Wii software sales as the basis for not taking the Wii 2 seriously,

Nah, historically weak performance doesn't matter as much as you think it does.  If it did, then nobody would have made games for the Xbox 360, because the original Xbox was pretty weak tea for third parties.

Besides, they won't be fooling anybody.  Everybody knows third parties make garbage for the Wii, and that's why their titles sell horribly.  At least, that's the narrative they themselves created.

especially if the PS3 continues to gain traction and Kinect takes off for Microsoft.

Kinect and move won't take off unless Microsoft and Sony fans are the biggest hypocrites in the world, what with 4 years straight of "gimmick!" until their favorite companies announced their versions.  Considering both have had some pretty lackluster previews, I'd say both of these things are pretty niche and probably won't amount to much except crippling losses for both.

I may give the impression that I ride third parties pretty hard, and sometimes I do, but I really don't hate them.  In fact I don't think Nintendo hates them either, or is indifferent to their concerns, but they can be very frustrating to deal with.  I'm sure Nintendo's willing to meet them halfway like they did with 3DS hardware and stuff, but that still means the third parties have to go the other half and develop strong titles.  And as long as they keep making spinoff after excuse after bad port after shovelware, as a gamer, it's really hard to be on their side when it comes to how their games sell on Nintendo's platforms.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:18:59 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2010, 04:56:49 PM »
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. Why are third parties so important for a Nintendo console? Third parties have not had much ground on their systems since the days of the N64 and Nintendo still done fairly well. After all, Nintendo games are good enough alone for you to buy their consoles, right?

The answer is that without third parties Nintendo would have to drastically churn out their own games at a much more constant pace. For example, the development time for Skyward Sword was how long? Five year od so since Twilight Princess? Would any one wait around that long to play that game without some third party game to keep them company.

Overall, third parties act as a buffer zone for Nintendo that provides them protection from the ire of the consumer. It keeps them out of the lime light long enough to reasearch and develope their titles.

On a side note, most of the games for my wii and DS are third party and the rest are a few of Nintendo's titles such as Punch-Out!, SM Galaxy 2, Brawl, NSB wii and wii sports.

Third parties will be successful on Nintendo consoles when they go from after thought development to priority development of their titles.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:11:31 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »
Why are third parties so important for a Nintendo console? Third parties have not had much ground on their systems since the days of the N64 and Nintendo still done fairly well. After all, Nintendo games are good enough alone for you to buy their consoles, right?

I don't think they're so important for Nintendo as Nintendo seems to make money without them.  They're important to having a good variety of titles.  One company can't provide enough variety on their own.  Nintendo is my favourite dev but there are certain types of games they just don't make.  And even then I don't want to ONLY play Nintendo games.  I like pizza but I'm not going to eat it for every meal.  It's nice to have variety.

I was very patient with the N64 because at the time I thought this was a one time goof.  Nintendo had previously been very on the ball and this cartridge thing had fucked everything up but people make mistakes.  I figured going with a gen of weak third party support was acceptable and then Nintendo would get back on track and things would improve dramatically.  It helped also that the N64 first party games were some of the best games ever made.  Nintendo was fortunate that their peak as a developer hit during this unfortunate timeframe where they had weak third party support.

I had less patience on the Gamecube though I still cut it a bit of a slack because it was the last place console.  I felt it was entirely Nintendo's own severe incompetence that put them in last place and I was not very tolerant about that.  The Gamecube was when I found out the N64 cartridge thing wasn't a one time **** up by an otherwise brilliant company.  Nope, Nintendo really didn't know what they were doing.

I have zero patience for the Wii's third party situation because it is the market leader and that was until now the formula for attracting the best third party support.  I never was willing to buy a console just for Nintendo's games, I just put up with it.  I won't put up with it anymore because Nintendo no longer has an acceptable excuse.  I consider good third party support a mandatory requirement for a good videogame system.  I only cut slack if the console is an underdog and it's just doing the best it can given the circumstances.

I tend to side more with the third parties because of Nintendo's reputation and the extreme unlikeliness that EVERY third party is colluding together to specifically screw the Wii over, even if it means going out of business or that every videogame company in the world except Nintendo are a bunch of idiots.  I see the Wii's hardware incompatibility with the HD consoles as a much more likely source of the problem.  And who designed the hardware?  Nintendo, thus I hold them responsible.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
Hmmm a solid state HDD and solid state games would be pretty damn cool...I for one hate loading times (even the cool ones that let you do something while waiting -- FIFA comes to mind). Also SSD would allow for the 64DD to be resurrected which would be pretty damn cool.

Honestly, the ability to rewrite things on the game cards could be huge. The easiest thing to imagine is having gamesaves save directly on the card and not only the harddrive (also firmware upgrade to games and such).

SSD and SSD games
HD
and a more accurate Wiimote would be enough for me to consider purchasing.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »
I just have to wonder how third parties will react when the wii 2 and its high defenition graphics is revealed. Chances are they will just keep doing th status quo, but I am interested to see how established wii franchises like Red Steel, Conduit, No More Heroes, and several others evolve into high definition graphics on the wii successor.

What are some major third party franchises that should appear on the wii2?

Conduit 3?

If the wii 2 had HD graphics, would there be any problem with playing it on SDTV?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:55:55 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »
1st question: Don't care

2nd question: Lame

3rd question: Use common sense or the internet...your choice.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
Kytim, both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 play HD games. In fact, until September 2009 Microsoft required that ALL Xbox 360 games be in HD. Not to mention HD movies. HD games fine on all TVs. They may not look as good (in fact, there is no point in buying a Blu-ray Disc player if you only own a SDTV), but they work just the same.

As for your first question, I hope every major third party franchise will appear on Wii 2.

Your second question I can't answer since I have never played The Conduit. I wouldn't be opposed to more games though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2010, 10:43:58 PM »
I have zero patience for the Wii's third party situation because it is the market leader and that was until now the formula for attracting the best third party support.

Do you remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer becomes head of the Stonecutters Society through some old code about a birthmark indicating some kind of "chosen one."  And they were all repulsed and hated the idea of Homer being the leader of their club so they instituted a new club called the No Homers?

Not to inject a tiny bit of politics, but did you ever wonder why all of a sudden Barack Obama's "citizenship" was suddenly being questioned by people who just HATED the idea of a black man being president?

For years it was the third parties who were denying support to Nintendo's consoles on this very issue, and the moment they had to put their money where their mouth was, all of a sudden, excuse after excuse came out, trying to hide the fact that most of them had prematurely chosen the PS3 or the 360 as their bets for the market leader, or their pockets were stuffed with moneyhats the whole time last generation.

I tend to side more with the third parties because of Nintendo's reputation and the extreme unlikeliness that EVERY third party is colluding together to specifically screw the Wii over,

Who said they were all working together?  They could all be equally independently idiotic and all tried a bunch of spinoffs nobody wanted or Wii Sports knockoffs or half-hearted casual games meant to cash in or drum up revenue for risky HD titles.  And WOW!  That's what happened.

even if it means going out of business or that every videogame company in the world except Nintendo are a bunch of idiots.

You know I tend to get my knuckles rapped for continually bringing up Nintendo's quite lucrative existence for the past three years or so vs. their competition and their detractors.  But, here said facts are very useful in determining this particular subject matter.  Just going by profits and revenues, Nintendo is indeed a very smart company, and third parties, generally, have been struggling quite severely, (sans any that have a direct line of revenue for continued existence from a console manufacturer.) and some have almost institutionalized losses over the last 3 years, which would indicate them as less than smart, wouldn't you agree?

I see the Wii's hardware incompatibility with the HD consoles as a much more likely source of the problem.

Are you trying to make my point for me?  Here you indicate that suddenly something other than market leadership is the main factor for third parties' support, when they used to parrot on and on about "userbase this, marketshare that."  Everybody last generation (including you yourself) said that was the #1 thing Nintendo had to fix for the next round.  "Get a higher userbase."  And they did.   And now suddenly it's about a bunch of other factors they didn't care about last generation until suddenly they do this generation.

Nintendo should continue their efforts to meet whatever 3rd parties' wishes are as far as hardware goes, while trying simultaneously to be freshly innovative to retain their advantage over their console competitors (see: motion control, glasses-less 3-D, elimination of loadtimes, etc).  But unless there is some sort of guarantee that third parties will make strong games for the system, they shouldn't go above and beyond what they're already doing as far as this issue is concerned.  Maybe the idea of the Wii2 being considered a smashing success regardless of actual performance before it is released will play in next round.  It worked for the PS3.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:41:54 PM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
1) I like to make mock-ips

2) I watched Tron, movie changed my life :P

3) its modern incarnation is also probably the next design fad

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/theultimateperm/n6mockup7.jpg

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:40:47 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
Are you trying to make my point for me?  Here you indicate that suddenly something other than market leadership is the main factor for third parties' support, when they used to parrot on and on about "userbase this, marketshare that."  Everybody last generation (including you yourself) said that was the #1 thing Nintendo had to fix for the next round.  "Get a higher userbase."  And they did.   And now suddenly it's about a bunch of other factors they didn't care about last generation until suddenly they do this generation

The Wii is an anomally.  Nothing similar to it has every happened before.  No one ever launched a competing console with such a huge difference in hardware before.  This isn't like PS2 vs. Xbox, it's like N64 vs. Xbox.  The idea of Nintendo even doing such a thing never crossed anyone's mind.  So market share seemed like the ideal thing to fix because there was the assumption that that and third party were linked.  The N64 repelled third party support with its hardware and the weak third party support repelled gamers.

Nintendo targetted this new market that no one else had thought of.  That's a big reason why it has been so successful, no one else thought of it.  But that also changed things.  The idea that being the market leader and having the best third party support are always linked made sense under the old market.  But now Nintendo was targetting a large amount of new customers that would not value third party support as much.  So now we have a situation where a console with weak third party support can become the market leader based on a new segment of the market that does not value the same things the old one did.  But that doesn't change the hardware.  It's incompatible with the other consoles and does not allow for multiplatform development without major headaches and compromises.

I think most third parties would release their PS360 games on the Wii if they could.  I think Dead Rising and Dead Space probably started off as attempts to do so and were turned into spinoffs when it clearly wasn't going to work.  I think a lot of the spinoffs, at least initially, were attempts to get some content on the Wii because porting the multiplatform game wasn't an option.  Namco wants Soul Calibur IV on the Wii, can't do it, makes some Wii exclusive Soul Calibur title instead.  And then it bombs and Namco is mad about that and Wii owners are mad at them for releasing hastly-made junk and everything is poisoned.  Third parties act like the Wii is just a bunch of casual gamers but the weak third party support is likely the cause of that.  And third parties picked the wrong horse initially (though can anyone blame them for that?)  But if they could have just been able to include their multiplatform releases on the Wii all that would have been avoided.  Why wouldn't they do that if they could have?  It's obviously easier to do that then create a seperate product. 

The Wii's hardware incompatibility made it so they had to make Wii exclusive content but they were already invested in PS360 games.  Let's say you're a third party and you've got five games planned for the year and all of them are multiplatform to maximize sales potential.  Then Nintendo's console is selling but you can't just port those five games, you have to make something exclusive.  But you already started on those five games.  What do you do but piece together what you can to get something on there?  If the Wii had comparable hardware they could have just brought their PS360 games to it.  It would have been an easy transition and would have worked with the existing plans without much fuss.  Making a system that is so different that it pretty much requires exclusives-only is not third party friendly at all because now everybody has to have a seperate team for Wii development and they have to make two games to have content on all systems instead of just one.

If Nintendo wants to have better third party support being port-friendly is key.  Multiplatform is the way things work now.  It's the safest bet for third parties to take since they don't have to put their eggs in one basket.  I'll bet everyone just assumed everyone would be similar this gen so they could all just make multiplatform releases and not have to pick anyone and then Nintendo goofed those plans up big time with the Wii.  That's business I guess.  But being able to tell third parties that they're safe no matter what horse they pick would be ideal.  Even with the same third party releases as the other consoles, Nintendo's first party content would give them an edge.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »
1) I like to make mock-ips

2) I watched Tron, movie changed my life :P:

3) its modern incarnation is also probably the next design fad

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/theultimateperm/n6mockup7.jpg

Aghhhhh!  Johnny-Five is Alive!  ;)

That look is way too cool for Nintendo to use, though.