Community Forums > Movies & TV

Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)

<< < (160/187) > >>

oohhboy:
Just watch the cartoon show which is actually good.

BlackNMild2k1:

--- Quote from: oohhboy on March 06, 2020, 03:52:38 AM ---Just watch the cartoon show which is actually good.

--- End quote ---

OMG, I'm watching S1 of the Harley Quinn cartoon and this is great.
it's fucked up, vulgar, gory, and hilarious.

I'm watching E7: The Line w/ Wanda Sykes and LMAO @ the family reunion resolution with the Big Bad Wolf and then the 3 Little Pigs. fucked up to the hilarious degree. LOL

Spak-Spang:
Yeah, Harley Quinn's show is pretty good.  It seems to have a twisted but still accurate take on all the Batman characters.  I kinda take the stranger portrayal of characters as how Harley Quinn sees them.  It is so great to see that they gave Harley Quinn a good ensemble cast which helps balance her madness and tell a good story.  Also, Poison Ivy is easily my favorite version of Poison Ivy. 

oohhboy:
I goddamn love Bain. His prison is just something else.

broodwars:
*sigh*

Oh boy, here we go...Justice League Dark: Apokolips War.

I haven't seen a movie inspire such passionate hatred in me in quite a long time, and yet...it's not a terrible movie. It's just not a good one, either, and it embodies everything I despise about this particular era of DC animated work.

I really liked the 1st Justice League Dark movie, not the least of which because it introduced John Constantine to the DC animated films, voiced expertly as ever by Matt Ryan. When they announced there would be another of these films, I was delighted.  I had no goddamn idea what the movie would ACTUALLY be, because this has NOTHING to do with Justice League Dark beyond prominently featuring John Constantine.

Spoilers beware if you care.

What this movie ACTUALLY is is the conclusion to DC's long-running animated film universe that started with The Flashpoint Paradox (a genuinely enjoyable film). Unfortunately, after that 1st outing it became clear that the purpose of that film was to establish the "New 52" slate of films, where everyone hates each other; life is cheap; and everyone is a goddamn edgelord. I HATE the New 52 films, with very few exceptions.

Oh, you thought the New 52 films were edgelord before? Well here's Apokolips War to out-edgelord the edgiest Edgelords that ever edgelorded. Have you ever wanted to see about 1/3 of the characters in the DC universe eaten alive while you got to watch? How about more getting torn in half or shot into bloody chunks? Maybe you're a particularly sick bastard who wanted to see superheroes get dismembered, tortured, and then disintegrated in molten lava? How about a character literally being burned to death? Well HAVE I GOT A FILM FOR YOU!  :rolleyes:

Oh, but it gets better. There's a notorious DC comic series from a few years back called "Future's End" particularly noteworthy for a hilariously awful section where it reveals the DC Superheroes converted into robotic spider-people for no apparent reason, in particular Batgirl being mounted to the Batsignal and Frankenstein having Black Canary's still-alive face sewn to his chest. This comic is notoriously hated.

This movie homages that portion of Future's End. Yes, including the robot spider people.

This movie is cruel, disgusting, and try-hard to the extreme. All it knows how to do is kill people in increasingly sick ways. It's also the 1st of these DC animated films where I feel like you actually had to watch the previous films to make sense of some of the stuff it just brings up.

And yet...and yet...there is some good here. When characters aren't murdering each other for kicks, the banter is generally great. Constantine, as usual, is hilarious. Zatanna (as little as she is in the film this time) no longer looks like an NFL linebacker. It's nice to see so many characters running around from the other films, such as the Suicide Squad. I also appreciate that the movie ends with the end of this entire stupid universe, and it openly acknowledges that.

I would only recommend this film if you like Constantine, as he's in top form as ever, and perhaps if you actually like these New 52 films and wanted to see how it all ended. It's not a good film.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version