Author Topic: Chrome vs. Firefox  (Read 26150 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Chrome vs. Firefox
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »
Bump!

So I recently made the switch to Chrome.  I like it!  It's a hell of a lot faster than Fire Fox.

What are some good extensions?  I've already got AdBlock, IE tab and a Wikipedia companion (which is fantastic because it lets me do a quick Wikipedia search in a floating window).  I also have a G-Mail and Google Reader checker which is quite handy.  What else is great that I don't know about?

Also, does anyone know how to make videos appear in Google Reader?  YouTube and other videos won't appear show up in Reader so if I want to view them I have to navigate to the original site and view them there (and that's assuming I even know they're there--unless the text specifically mentions the video I generally won't even realize there is one).  I don't know if this is a limitation of Reader, RSS feeds in general, or if it's AdBlock.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
I think that's a limitation of the feeds you're using; videos show up for me in at least some of my feeds.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
Google Dictionary Lookup
Picnik
Google Translate
AutoPager
AutoHD for Youtube
and if you use multiple IM programs and social services like Facebook & MySpace, Yoono

that's most of what I have downloaded atleast that I actually use.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2010, 04:10:35 AM »
I had another Chrome update today, wasn't sure what it was for, but I just now put a Netflix movie up on the bigscreen and it asked me if I wanted to always keep Netflix in fullscreen mode even while interacting with another window.

It's about freaking time. I don't know if Firefox has the same option, but F11 wasn't really cutting it for me anymore.

now back to Zombies of Mass Destruction.... which is actually playing in full screen on the big screen as I type this on the smaller screen :D

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »
Just made the switch yesterday.  The only thing that's really lacking for me in Chrome is the ability to customize button positions.  I had gotten used to that.  And the stupid "other bookmarks" folder that needs to die.

But I can't beat the speed of Chrome and just the light weight efficient "feel" of the whole thing.  Plus it let me double my score in Robot Unicorn Attack since Firefox slowed to a crawl every time I played a flash game, so that's a plus.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 03:37:31 AM »
Firefox 4 beta is up btw.  I don't know if thats what you were using.   I have also heard that the IE9 beta isn't too shabby.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 04:00:08 AM »
Chrome: Canary build is the developers version for beta testing. It's what I use because it allows for features that Chrome doesn't.

For example, if you got to "about:labs" in Canary, you can turn on Google Instant for the search bar. It makes Chrome soooooooooooo much better. Seriously, it's the fastest i've ever search the internet. My favorite sites load with the press of a single letter. So all I have to do is type "g" and gmail will pop up and log in.

Try it out.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 12:54:58 AM »
Ever since I updated my Chrome browser about a week or so ago I've been having nothing but problems.

My add-ons stopped working properly;
Ad block lets the ad load and display, then takes it away a split second later, leaving a space where it was at.
some grease monkey apps aren't working at all
random failure on all tabs from time to time
youtube videos won't load - forcing me to load up Firefox
web pages lag.... could just be the sites, as some seem to load a hell of a lot faster than others at times
using up 3-4GB of RAM sometimes on nothing. But it was doing that before I updated....

WTF is up with my Chrome?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 01:07:56 AM »
No idea. Mine runs great. Both versions. (I use the Canary Build)

I might switch back to firefox (or use both in tandem). It's suppose to help with loading heavy visual sites by off-loading the weight to the GPU.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
Firefox4 is noticeably faster than previous versions. Of course, for my tastes, you have to turn off the dumb tab animations and move the tabs away from the top edge.

Chrome runs well, but is minimalist at best. It's fine for a netbook or something, but isn't full-featured enough to be my daily browser. Besides, the UI is so stripped down that it's painful to navigate through all of the sub-directories. Hiding options in the attempt to make things seem "user-friendly" is a design philosophy that should stay with Apple. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »
What features are you looking for that Chrome lacks? I used to use Firefox, but it became painfully slow so I went to Chrome, and I haven't run into anything I can't do (aside from lousy Silverlight implementation in the Mac version, but that's on Microsoft).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
I wish chrome had a way to save your session. It's not a big deal as there is a way around it, but a simple "exit and save your session" option.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:56 PM »
I like that FF does that automatically as sometimes I need to close the browser and it picks up exactly where I left off if I was scrolling down a page.

Chrome only does that if the computer shuts off without warning.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
Yeah, I have pull up the task manager and close the chrome process. It's an annoyance, but not enough to switch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
I just fixed my Chrome problem.

I went in an disabled all of my extensions, closed Chrome, reopened Chrome, enabled all my extension, closed Chrome again and then opened it again and all is good again.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »
You should try the Canary build. It updates with beta and though it can cause more problems, it mostly fixes annoyances (like youtube not working) way before a stable launches.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »
oh, I didn't even try youtube again.

It's weird because some videos would work without a problem and others would never load regardless of how many times you reload.
Chrome would be the one browser you would never expect to have problems watching youtube with.

edit: youtube video from yesterday is working fine now.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
If you have a youtube account, opt in to join the HTML5 trial. Go to youtube.com/html5

That should solve your problem once and for all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
I could've sworn I already did that, but I guess I hadn't.

I'm in now, so we'll see how that changes things.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
I just installed Firefox 4 and now I'm gonna test run it for a week.

I think the disabling and re-enabling of the extensions in Chrome solved my ram eating problem, but the Ad Blocker is still acting up, so Firefox get's it's turn back in the limelight for now.

edit: I just discovered something else that Firefox has solved.
I can use my mouse wheel click in Firefox but it doesn't work in chrome. All this time I thought my mouse was incompatible with the software that Logitech made for it, but it's just that chrome isn't. Now I can click the button and move teh mouse up and down to do a quick scroll in all available directions. How weird is that?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:04:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
Is there an extension for Chrome that will allow me to reopen tabs I had open before my computer restarts itself?  My work PC is set to automatically download and install Windows updates and I can't turn that "feature" off.  I means that once or twice a month I wake up to find that I've lost all the tabs I had been saving for a rainy day.  I tend to keep a lot of tabs open for stuff I plan to read later but don't have time for at the moment.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:59 AM »
You could just bookmark things you plan to read sometime. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
When my computer resets itself, my tabs sometimes offer to come back, most times it doesn't.

But my Chrome also has issues with loading Youtube. Flash & HTML5. I usually have to hit the IE Tab just to watch a video, so my Chrome is half-retarded and probably shouldn't be compared to anyone elses.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
My Chrome always saves my open tabs.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
Sometimes I accidentally click ads that take you to a page that will 'scan your computer for viruses'. I try to close out but a stupid popup shouts "Don't go!". So I Ctrl + Alt + Delete and close firefox. But when I reopen the damn browser it drags the bloody ad page back up like a puppy bringing back a lit stick of dynamite his owner threw. After doing this three or four times finally the browser goes 'uh-oh, we had an error, do you want to restore the last session?' Then I can start all over.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast