Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537954 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1400 on: July 26, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »
The Prestige: Are you watching closely?/10

Such a great effing movie.

On a side note, I'm starting to realize that ScarJo has some bizarre facial geometry going on.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 26, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Salt 6.5/10

I probably might have thought more of it if I had not seen Inception the week before but Inception has my views skewed right now. The movie just didn't click with me.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 27, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
I found District 9 on DVD for very cheap the other week and finally got round to watching it today.

A very interesting film. It is initially presented as a documentary that follows the story of a population of aliens who became stranded over Johannesburg and were forced to live in a shanty town called District 9 for 20 years before the government launched a harsh eviction scheme. The detail put into these sequences to make them feel authentic is impressive - the acting is surprisingly believable, as is the diverse range of cinematography styles, which really gives it the feel of a genuine documentary. Even as this documentary presentation is gradually scaled back to make way for a tighter plot focus on the actions of one man, it is still used to good effect.

The overall theme of the plot also played against my expectations. I mean, come on, gruesome-looking creatures arrive on Earth all of a sudden; it would be easy to jump to conclusions about where this might be heading. In fact, these extraterrestrial visitors simply wish to return home and are trying to have the best life they can in a horrible situation. Meanwhile, as the film progresses, it is evident that the organisation in charge of the eviction project are cruelly exploiting the aliens and their real intentions of this eviction are actually far more sinister. One of the most striking things with regard to this is how the sole human protagonist changes after the major plot development (he is slowly mutating into an alien due to exposure to "the fluid"), especially as his friendship with one of the persecuted aliens grows. I was a bit perplexed as to how they were able to communicate, because they spoke in completely different dialects and yet understood each other perfectly, something that was never properly explained.

Effects elsewhere are strong, although the combat scenes are shockingly violent, almost too macabre for my tastes -- I've never seen a film where this many people are killed by literally being ripped apart in a shower of blood by brutal sci-fi weaponry. The soundtrack seemed more appropriate, using an intense form of South African folk music that really set the tone whilst fitting in with the environment.

Recommended
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1403 on: July 27, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »
I think the protagonist had been studying their language somehow before he got the job. I'm not sure how the alien understood him, but I think it's probably the same way The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy works.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 27, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »
500 days of Summer 8.8/10

good Annie Hall-esque movie
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 27, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »
8 Mile
4/5

Fun, heavy, uplifting.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 27, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »
One Piece: Strong World
AWESOME/10
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:05:26 PM by Caliban »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 27, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
Am I the only person on earth that just really didn't care for Inception?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 28, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

Yes.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 28, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
Yes... Why did you not like it? Could you not follow it?

I fucking love that movie! Seen it twice already and am going to see it in Imax this weekend.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: July 28, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
Yes, I followed it.  The movie went far out of it's way to explain itself.

There were just things about the movie that bugged me.  For example, they set up the entire idea that if you die in the dream, you wake up in real life.  But then, suddenly, no, that doesn't apply because we used this deus ex machina sedative that makes you sleep really well.

Also, the entire totem aspect.  If I hold my totem, then I know how much it weighs, how it acts, etc., etc...  How do I know when I'm in my own dream?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1411 on: July 28, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
The totem thing did bother me. I actually didn't like how much the movie explained itself. When you think about it, almost every piece of dialogue in the movie is toward the central thesis of: "this is how it works." They were even doling things out two hours in.

I would't preferred less "how stuff works" exchanges, more character development, and more faith that the audience will intepret it themselves walking away.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 28, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »
I think the protagonist had been studying their language somehow before he got the job. I'm not sure how the alien understood him, but I think it's probably the same way The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy works.

I think they both simply new the other language.

Just like if I know Chinese and a Chinese guy knows English.  We can both speak in our native languages and understand each other.  The only difference seems to be that while they can understand neither one seems to have the mouth to actually speak the other's language.

And Fooking prawns are cool .

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1413 on: July 28, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
Batman: Under the Red Hood - 9/10 - Well this was a pleasant surprise.  After so many misfires and near-misses, Warner Bros. animation finally turned out a really awesome animated movie.  As a fan of Batman: The Animated Series and all its successors, there's a lot to love in this movie.  Gotham sports the familiar art deco look; there are giant, impractical police blimps flying everywhere with searchlights; the new Batman is doing a pretty fair Kevin Conroy impression; the new Alfred is doing a pretty good impression of his predecessor; the new Joker is somewhere between Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger (and he nails Mark Hamill's laughter, which is disconcerting); the writing is pretty solid and puts the focus on non-metahuman characters like the Black Mask and standard gangsters instead of supervillains; the animation is pretty decent (if nothing exceptional); and hell...they even pronounced "Ra's Al Ghul" correctly ("Ray-sh").   ;D   This may not be an official part of the DC Animated Universe, but it certainly feels like it could be in it.  Make no mistake, though: this movie is dark and violent with some disturbing imagery, although I'd say it's still psychologically less disturbing than Return of the Joker.  The thing I really liked about this movie, though, is that it feels like a movie and not an extended Justice League episode, a trap most of these DC animated movies fall into.  I'll definitely be picking up the Blu-Ray on Tuesday, and if you're a Batman fan, I suggest you do so as well.

I pretty much agree with this. A great film, better if you are a long time Batman fan. I can say that I voted to have Jason killed in the comic...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 28, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
Ip Man - 8/10

Movie about a Martial Arts Master named Ip Man (real person) just before and during the Japanese/Chinese war (real event) and how badass at WingChun he was. There were some major beatdown delivered by Ip Man in this movie. There was one scene where he delivered such a flurry of punches so quickly that I swear he hit some guy about 10 pr more times before he could even hit the ground. He also tried to make hamburger meat out of someone's head. I found myself saying "Oh ****!" atleast once during every fight scene. So nice I rewound it twice.

p.s. it's dubbed in English.

p.p.s. He is one of Bruce Lee's 1st Martial Art teachers.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:24:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 28, 2010, 06:08:28 PM »
The Karate Kid (yes it JUST came out here): What was the point of the remake?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »
Ip Man - 8/10

Movie about a Martial Arts Master named Ip Man (real person) just before and during the Japanese/Chinese war (real event) and how badass at WingChun he was. There were some major beatdown delivered by Ip Man in this movie. There was one scene where he delivered such a flurry of punches so quickly that I swear he hit some guy about 10 pr more times before he could even hit the ground. He also tried to make hamburger meat out of someone's head. I found myself saying "Oh ****!" atleast once during every fight scene. So nice I rewound it twice.

Would you be so kind as to post a link for the movie, or a trailer?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »
The totem thing did bother me. I actually didn't like how much the movie explained itself. When you think about it, almost every piece of dialogue in the movie is toward the central thesis of: "this is how it works." They were even doling things out two hours in.

I would't preferred less "how stuff works" exchanges, more character development, and more faith that the audience will intepret it themselves walking away.

I think this goes a long way to sum up the main reason I didn't like the movie.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 29, 2010, 12:59:05 AM »
Ip Man - 8/10

Would you be so kind as to post a link for the movie, or a trailer?

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959h-GXfeNc

1 vs 10 scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4

The entire movie on Youtube(In Cantonese but subtitled): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqrKlsVUfFQ (Pt 1 of 11)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:19 AM »
Robinson Crusoe 8/10

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1420 on: July 29, 2010, 03:54:46 AM »
Also, the entire totem aspect.  If I hold my totem, then I know how much it weighs, how it acts, etc., etc...  How do I know when I'm in my own dream?

If you go in to a dream, there's something different about the totem. That was the whole point. If you had it, you know you entered a dream. Knowing things about it means you know how it'll act in a dream (spin forever) and how it'll act in real life (it falls eventually).
Also, if someone brought you in to a dream (like guy they were doing the whole Inception thing on), they wouldn't have their totem.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:57:30 AM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 29, 2010, 05:46:25 AM »

If you go in to a dream, there's something different about the totem. That was the whole point. If you had it, you know you entered a dream. Knowing things about it means you know how it'll act in a dream (spin forever) and how it'll act in real life (it falls eventually).
Also, if someone brought you in to a dream (like guy they were doing the whole Inception thing on), they wouldn't have their totem.

But with the spinning totem, how does being in a dream change how physics interact on it? The architect don't know about your totems and neither does the person whose dream you're entering, so how can it just spin indefinitely? What determines that?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 29, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »

Why not?  The dreamer fills the dream with people from their subconscious.  What's stopping them from having things?  Also, when Cobb was in Saito's limbo, he had his totem with him.

But with the spinning totem, how does being in a dream change how physics interact on it? The architect don't know about your totems and neither does the person whose dream you're entering, so how can it just spin indefinitely? What determines that?

Exactly.  I'll buy that the architect wouldn't know the weight/mass of the item - but not knowing "Hey, that top should fall over." is also a bit of a reach.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
Quote from: UncleBob link=topic=28364.msg626643#msg626643

Exactly.  I'll buy that the architect wouldn't know the weight/mass of the item - but not knowing "Hey, that top should fall over." is also a bit of a reach.

I think the totems ultimate point was as an audience hook, so WE would know whether they're in a dream or not.

In that universe the totem would only do as the owner intended (fall over onto one side etc) in a woken state or in their own dreams or as they told us.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
I always find with Nolan's films that it's all very literal. His films are made very well, the pacing, editing, staging etc. are all spot on, but they always lack any sort of passion or emotion. His movies are explained by those in the film, everyone is always stating their motives and intentions (this is the main problem with Inception, he spends most of the film explaining what happens and it still doesn't make sense). It's all at surface level and rarely does he get any deeper with his characters and you're never left to figure out anything by yourself (unless of course it doesn't make sense, i.e. Inception). That said, I did enjoy Inception. It's not winning any awards in my book, but I have no issue with paying the price of admission to see it. 7.5/10 Also:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:59:20 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).